Select Bus Service Discussion Thread

Union Tpke

4 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

I was talking about the lanes on Kings Hwy between Flatbush Avenue and Avenue K. Those are the bus lanes whose 24-hour operation, even though there is no bus service there overnight, are in question. I was wondering if the main road bus lane hours were in retaliation for bus lane rejection, since it would make absolutely no sense to have bus lanes in effect if there are no overnight bus lines to use them.

The plan is 7-7, not 24/7. I'm not sure why the signs don't list the times.

Rumors float around all the time. I wouldn't believe them all.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

I was talking about the lanes on Kings Hwy between Flatbush Avenue and Avenue K. Those are the bus lanes whose 24-hour operation, even though there is no bus service there overnight, are in question. I was wondering if the main road bus lane hours were in retaliation for bus lane rejection, since it would make absolutely no sense to have bus lanes in effect if there are no overnight bus lines to use them.

I agree that it makes no sense but that's what they also did on Richmond Ave in SI. 24 hr bus lanes when there is no bus service. What's also nuts is that there is virtually nowhere to switch between the main and service roads which means if you need to make a right turn, you have to know to make your whole trip in the service road or go way out of your way. 

5 minutes ago, MidwoodMartin said:

The plan is 7-7, not 24/7. I'm not sure why the signs don't list the times.

Rumors float around all the time. I wouldn't believe them all.

If it were 7 to 7, there would be signs to indicate that. No signs mean 24/7.

28 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

I agree that it makes no sense but that's what they also did on Richmond Ave in SI. 24 hr bus lanes when there is no bus service. What's also nuts is that there is virtually nowhere to switch between the main and service roads which means if you need to make a right turn, you have to know to make your whole trip in the service road or go way out of your way. 

You would think that the DOT would’ve built some slip lanes to switch from main road to service road when making the whole SBS project, but I think it may cut into the government villains diabolical plans to make driving in NYC a huge pain in the a$$.

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Yankees4life said:

In Manhattan?

Yeah. I just now went on a blog and someone took pictures and it looks like they painted more lanes along 14th street. On the blog it said the M14 SBS won't start until april of next year but the press release said it will start in January. 

10 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

Yeah. I just now went on a blog and someone took pictures and it looks like they painted more lanes along 14th street. On the blog it said the M14 SBS won't start until april of next year but the press release said it will start in January. 

Well, I have to go there later on for a personal project that I'm working on related to the (L) train shutdown. Which is to record what happens before, during and after the shutdown. And then I'll make an analysis on it. 

24 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

Looks like they’re putting up sbs machine stands on 14th Street. Bus lanes are painted but only by the interesections of 14 street from 8th to 1st Avenue. Weird they’re speeding this now since it won’t start until April. 

The M14 SBS is supposed to start in January though 

http://www.mta.info/press-release/nyc-transit/mta-dot-launch-m14-sbs-ahead-l-train-tunnel-reconstruction-project

15 minutes ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

But another press release said April. Maybe it was said for those who will be affected by the shutdown but I do know in the beginning it was always slated for January. We'll just going to wait and see. 

On 11/12/2018 at 11:18 PM, Brillant93 said:

First it was said to be permanent then temporary. At this point we don’t know because various sources are saying different things. 

I was never actually said to be permanent. It was still in the planning phase. MTA will evaluate as time progresses. 14th Street will also close to motor vehicle traffic as well to accommodate the M14A, M14D, and M14SBS routes. 

as far as the launch, it was originally April, and now it is set for January. That's why I told you all when I created this thread that things would not all be the way that they appeared, or what was written in black and white. They also said no new SBS, yet I was told that meant "no new SBS for Queens" anytime soon.

3 hours ago, East New York said:

I was never actually said to be permanent. It was still in the planning phase. MTA will evaluate as time progresses. 14th Street will also close to motor vehicle traffic as well to accommodate the M14A, M14D, and M14SBS routes. 

as far as the launch, it was originally April, and now it is set for January. That's why I told you all when I created this thread that things would not all be the way that they appeared, or what was written in black and white. They also said no new SBS, yet I was told that meant "no new SBS for Queens" anytime soon.

Understood, from the looks of it the M14 sbs will be launching soon but recent press is saying its April but the MTA said January will be the launch so people are familiar with the service.  

In another effort to save money, the cash-strapped agency wants to delay the planned launch of Select Bus Service on 96th Street in Manhattan by a year.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/MTA-Fare-Hike--500594481.html?akmobile=o&fbclid=IwAR3NJDmcBJGdGkYME3SiSvxTiq4nWSLlMkPyw4lFc-RIIqw_WoVmqzoMVGk

1 hour ago, Union Tpke said:

In another effort to save money, the cash-strapped agency wants to delay the planned launch of Select Bus Service on 96th Street in Manhattan by a year.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/MTA-Fare-Hike--500594481.html?akmobile=o&fbclid=IwAR3NJDmcBJGdGkYME3SiSvxTiq4nWSLlMkPyw4lFc-RIIqw_WoVmqzoMVGk

So the M96 was going to be the next sbs service right after the M14. Interesting, I wonder if it’s still going to be up next after the proposed fair hikes? 

On 11/15/2018 at 12:32 PM, Union Tpke said:

So they have $35 million to buy GCT but dont have enough to convert the M96?

• 1 month later...
On 9/10/2018 at 5:28 PM, Future ENY OP said:

I like the Brooklyn, Manhattan and Staten Island Division proposals for SBS. Concerns i have are following. 

1)  Will Staten Island Division finally jump on the artic bandwagon for the S90?

2) Although it is too early to tell. How will the B15 be evaluated because if it’s the current route for airport they better scrap it and create a new route.

3) M96- Quill or MHV for the SBS?

4) and finally B41 should of been SBS way before the 44/46. Glad that 41 will get SBS. Just a matter of time. 

I personally think that Artics in Staten Island are a bad idea, because of all the hills and hard turns most of the time. However, Richmond Terrace wouldn't sound like a bad idea.

14 minutes ago, AJ of JGD said:

I personally think that Artics in Staten Island are a bad idea, because of all the hills and hard turns most of the time. However, Richmond Terrace wouldn't sound like a bad idea.

The only route in SI that needs artics IMO is the S79 SBS. Those buses get packed. Especially during school hours.

34 minutes ago, AJ of JGD said:

In addition, it will be replaced with BRT along the North Shore Branch. The EIS is being worked on as we speak.

On 1/15/2019 at 7:42 PM, AJ of JGD said:

Hard turns besides of how the bus looks is what artic's are good at. Only hills that really would be difficult is the s52/66 I would say.

The problem is depots on the island are not equipt to handle the artics as well as alot of routes would need bus stops adjusted or relocated to be longer.

Edited by trife86