Select Bus Service Discussion Thread

Union Tpke

12 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Hills shouldn't be an issue, the BX9 and BX12 SBS have some mean hills along their routes and artics run on those routes just fine.

People think artics are like these massive buses that can’t handle what a 40 can. An artic bus is just longer not wider. I’m not versed in vehicles but I’m sure they’re engineered to run on the same streets as s 40 footer can.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

People think artics are like these massive buses that can’t handle what a 40 can. An artic bus is just longer not wider. I’m not versed in vehicles but I’m sure they’re engineered to run on the same streets as s 40 footer can.

Some areas might have weight restrictions that can be a concern is all I can think of. 

2 hours ago, DueceDrives said:

Don’t forget on some area it won’t be able to make certain turns compared to a 40 footer

Explain where a 40 footer turns better than a artic where pivot point is shorter than a 40 foot? I never drove one yet but I'd like to know your reasoning.

24 minutes ago, trife86 said:

Explain where a 40 footer turns better than a artic where pivot point is shorter than a 40 foot? I never drove one yet but I'd like to know your reasoning.

40 footers can complete majority turns if you properly set yourself up and if the road is allowed-able. An artic bus has easy maneuvering due to the center of the bus that bends and thats where the pivot point. But on most turns you need more radius compared to a 40ft. You have to take consideration of the tail of the artic buses follows and if there’s not enough clearence, you will either clip something, someone or the center of the bus will lock up. 

So on certain turns the 40ft can make it, where that 60-65 footers can’t and I can name a few local streets and areas.

1 hour ago, DueceDrives said:

You have to take consideration of the tail of the artic buses follows and if there’s not enough clearence, 

So on certain turns the 40ft can make it, where that 60-65 footers can’t and I can name a few local streets and areas.

Throw  some out there. Not saying it's not possible but id like to know.

2 hours ago, trife86 said:

Throw  some out there. Not saying it's not possible but id like to know.

Shore pkwy and knapp B44 Sheepshead Bay

Above link is an google map nearby B44 last stop. One time there was fire and police activity blocking Emmons Avenue and fire trucks blocking a tip of knapp street which made the left turn from shore pkwy and Knapp street unable to complete. Both the B4 and B44’s were instructed to detour and head towards that street to come back around Emmons side and back to Knapp. The 40 footer made it through that street, but the sbs44 got stuck and had to back out.

6 hours ago, DueceDrives said:

40 footers can complete majority turns if you properly set yourself up and if the road is allowed-able. An artic bus has easy maneuvering due to the center of the bus that bends and thats where the pivot point. But on most turns you need more radius compared to a 40ft. You have to take consideration of the tail of the artic buses follows and if there’s not enough clearence, you will either clip something, someone or the center of the bus will lock up. 

This is true however there is the exception. All of this holds true for the Nova LFSA, however, the XD60 and D60HF/LF can actually make tighter turns than any 40 footer. The tailswing is just slightly greater. 

Another fun fact of the day, the RTS actually has the widest turning radius among 40 footers, and for that reason rookies are most likely to get into accidents or not make wide enough turns with them.

The B35 is proof of this. That has to be the most narrow route with a few sharp turns than any other Artic route I can think of off my head. 

Funny story, I was actually training an MTA vet (who only operated hybrids, C40’s and MCI’s) on an RTS a few months ago. A few turns he didn’t take wide enough until I said, “Tien like you are I’m an MCI!” 

He nailed every turn after that. Lol

2 hours ago, East New York said:

This is true however there is the exception. All of this holds true for the Nova LFSA, however, the XD60 and D60HF/LF can actually make tighter turns than any 40 footer. The tailswing is just slightly greater. 

Another fun fact of the day, the RTS actually has the widest turning radius among 40 footers, and for that reason rookies are most likely to get into accidents or not make wide enough turns with them.

The B35 is proof of this. That has to be the most narrow route with a few sharp turns than any other Artic route I can think of off my head. 

Funny story, I was actually training an MTA vet (who only operated hybrids, C40’s and MCI’s) on an RTS a few months ago. A few turns he didn’t take wide enough until I said, “Tien like you are I’m an MCI!” 

He nailed every turn after that. Lol

Oh yeah  RTS got me a few times when I first started. I thought I was good and gravy making this S turn on time and ended up the other side of the road making the vehicles at the traffic light back up. Since then whenever I get an RTS I play with the turns trying too its radius. I’ve also learned not all the RTS had that issue.

15 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

Also keep in mind that the M14 was supposed to be a route to help supplement the Manhattan part of the L train when it shutdown but since its not happening they probably have to redo it to make it serve a purpose instead of just serving 14th street. 

How about we keep the 14th Street busway plan intact for the 30,000 people who use the M14A/D on 14th Street? From there, maybe make the entire M14A/D service SBS routes from Lower East Side to possibly the M23 SBS terminal at Chelsea Piers (extension of M14D via 11th Avenue) so that way people at the end of Manhattan (Chelsea Piers at 23rd Street) can access more places, like the area of Lower East Side without bus service, via the M14D SBS. The M14A SBS routing would be unchanged. Maybe that can work for a 14th Street SBS.

Also, speaking of busways, has anyone else considered the idea of car free crosstown streets on major crosstown arteries, outside of previously planned busways such as the one for 34th Street for the M34/A that was planned in 2011, what was planned for 14th Street, and maybe Vision 42? Maybe that can truly speed up crosstown public transportation service for those who are unable to use a subway and make public transportation a more appealing option to walking when going crosstown? I'm just suggesting some ideas.

1 minute ago, JeremiahC99 said:

How about we keep the 14th Street busway plan intact for the 30,000 people who use the M14A/D on 14th Street? From there, maybe make the entire M14A/D service SBS routes from Lower East Side to possibly the M23 SBS terminal at Chelsea Piers (extension of M14D via 11th Avenue) so that way people at the end of Manhattan (Chelsea Piers at 23rd Street) can access more places, like the area of Lower East Side without bus service, via the M14D SBS. The M14A SBS routing would be unchanged. Maybe that can work for a 14th Street SBS.

Also, speaking of busways, has anyone else considered the idea of car free crosstown streets on major crosstown arteries, outside of previously planned busways such as the one for 34th Street for the M34/A that was planned in 2011, what was planned for 14th Street, and maybe Vision 42? Maybe that can truly speed up crosstown public transportation service for those who are unable to use a subway and make public transportation a more appealing option to walking when going crosstown? I'm just suggesting some ideas.

Well the 14th street busway was for the shutdown only. I can’t see the need for it now because it was branded for the shutdown. Busways would be nice but there can’t be much of that without community input. 

1 minute ago, Brillant93 said:

Well the 14th street busway was for the shutdown only. I can’t see the need for it now because it was branded for the shutdown. Busways would be nice but there can’t be much of that without community input. 

I was thinking of a busway for the crosstown streets because the current offset and curbside lanes on these crosstown streets just won't do, especially with a route like the M14A/D. Not to mention that three community boards in Manhattan wanted median bus lanes on 23rd Street after what happened after 34th Street (which had a busway shot down due to community opposition) with all of the bus lane abuse by the other vehicles (double-parking, cars driving in the lanes when the rules are in effect, etc) Source: http://www.nyc.gov/html/mancb4/downloads/pdf/Resolutions/january_2016/15_trans_letter_to_dot_re_m23-sbs_proposal.pdf. Perhaps there should be a compromise with the communities like allowing car traffic to be on the streets during overnight hours, but other than that, that was just one idea on speeding the notoriously slow crosstown routes and attract latent ridership.

You have any ideas on how to make an ideal M14 SBS route?

5 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

I was thinking of a busway for the crosstown streets because the current offset and curbside lanes on these crosstown streets just won't do, especially with a route like the M14A/D. Not to mention that three community boards in Manhattan wanted median bus lanes on 23rd Street after what happened after 34th Street (which had a busway shot down due to community opposition) with all of the bus lane abuse by the other vehicles (double-parking, cars driving in the lanes when the rules are in effect, etc) Source: http://www.nyc.gov/html/mancb4/downloads/pdf/Resolutions/january_2016/15_trans_letter_to_dot_re_m23-sbs_proposal.pdf. Perhaps there should be a compromise with the communities like allowing car traffic to be on the streets during overnight hours, but other than that, that was just one idea on speeding the notoriously slow crosstown routes and attract latent ridership.

You have any ideas on how to make an ideal M14 SBS route?

Not per say because I don’t rely on the m14 for anything. But I would make a route that would better service the residents of lower east side. 

1 minute ago, Brillant93 said:

Not per say because I don’t rely on the m14 for anything. But I would make a route that would better service the residents of lower east side. 

I'm all out of options too for an M14 SBS route because I don't take a bus crosstown sometimes (I walk from the subway when visiting my sister at her Hunter Bellevue School of Nursing dorm in Kips Day) Given that the Manhattan crosstown buses were identified as potential SBS routes in Bus Forward, there needs to be a better way to both serve East Side residents better and speed crosstown buses (i.e, Where do Lower East Side residents want to go, and how do we make buses faster going river to river).

FYI, isn't Andy Byford doing a study on what streets should get an exclusive busway as part of the Bus Action Plan? Maybe that can be incorporated into the other SBS plans.

5 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

I'm all out of options too for an M14 SBS route because I don't take a bus crosstown sometimes (I walk from the subway when visiting my sister at her Hunter Bellevue School of Nursing dorm in Kips Day) Given that the Manhattan crosstown buses were identified as potential SBS routes in Bus Forward, there needs to be a better way to both serve East Side residents better and speed crosstown buses (i.e, Where do Lower East Side residents want to go, and how do we make buses faster going river to river).

FYI, isn't Andy Byford doing a study on what streets should get an exclusive busway as part of the Bus Action Plan? Maybe that can be incorporated into the other SBS plans.

Well if there is a busway I would say kings hwy between Coney Island avenue and ocean avenue should get one. Too many double parked cars and trucks. 

1 hour ago, Brillant93 said:

On hold, not canceled. 

If it's on hold due to lack of federal funding I'm gonna have to change that unflattering Cuomo pic to a non-flattering Trump pic. I doubt that scenario tho so I think the ugly emperor pic is there to stay.

Please don't punch your screens while looking at Cuomo, just print the pic and play some archery with it 🏹🎯.

39 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

If it's on hold due to lack of federal funding I'm gonna have to change that unflattering Cuomo pic to a non-flattering Trump pic. I doubt that scenario tho so I think the ugly emperor pic is there to stay.

Please don't punch your screens while looking at Cuomo, just print the pic and play some archery with it 🏹🎯.

its probably because of both state and federal level.