Select Bus Service Discussion Thread

Union Tpke

13 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

No wonder why quill is getting more lfsa buses. 

The MQ SBS routes will be 100% LFSAs when all said and done. 113 buses (77 2017-18s and 36 2019s) will be enough to provide enough service for the current SBS routes.

6 minutes ago, OIG119 said:

That can't happen. Do you mean XE60s?

Quill is getting the 15 XE60s for the M14. 40 2011-13 LFSAs and 15 XE60s would be enough for the M14 and M35 routes.

All XD60s at Quill will be going to other depots in Manhattan and Brooklyn to retire older buses and expand articulation.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

The MQ SBS routes will be 100% LFSAs when all said and done. 113 buses (77 2017-18s and 36 2019s) will be enough to provide enough service for the current SBS routes.

Which makes sense. But since the L train thing was cancelled it was presumed that the LFSAs would just be for local service but seeing this that they're going to convert the current routes into sbs or I should say propose to it makes more sense to why quill is getting more.

2 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

Which makes sense. But since the L train thing was cancelled it was presumed that the LFSAs would just be for local service but seeing this that they're going to convert the current routes into sbs or I should say propose to it makes more sense to why quill is getting more.

The thing is that the M14 SBS is a long way from happening, but it will happen. The 36 LFSAs will go straight to SBS, and the 15 XE60s will be for local service, with the local fleet ending up with 55 buses. That way, there's more than enough buses for all of the Quill to cover service.

2 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

L Project Weekly #10: This week's news, that Court Sq moving walkway, Select Bus Service coming to 14th Street

Non-L Project update: Select Bus Service is coming to 14th Street in Manhattan

It's not the L Project. Or the L. But it partially would run right above where the L is, so we thought you'd be interested to get the news that we've committed to operating a permanent Select Bus Service on 14th Street in Manhattan.

We'll be partnering with NYC DOT on the planning, design and implementation of bus priority along the route including bus lanes on 14th Street. Our next step is to do a proper community input process on our initial proposed route (see above photo), so more to come.

47065072592_edbf34f491_b.jpgunnamed by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

Hold up, unless the plan changed, the M14D was going to be converted to SBS, as it was in the original plan (before the (L) shutdown even came into play) while the M14A would have remained the local. Maybe @East New York can shed some more light on this.

28 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Hold up, unless the plan changed, the M14D was going to be converted to SBS, as it was in the original plan (before the (L) shutdown even came into play) while the M14A would have remained the local. Maybe @East New York can shed some more light on this.

It already has. Went from the original plan to a temporary M14 SBS and now we have this. And just because @East New York didn't mention it dosen't mean the MTA did not come up with this plan.

@Union Tpke is another member who knows how to get to the behind the scenes with the MTA so he is definitely reliable.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain
Rephrase

Just now, MysteriousBtrain said:

It already has. Went from the original plan to a temporary M14 SBS and now we have this. And just because @East New York didn't mention it dosen't mean it wasn't in the plans before.

@Union Tpke is another member who knows how to get to the behind the scenes with the MTA so he is definitely reliable.

The M14SBS was never suppose to be temporary-at least not the main part of the route.

On 2/16/2019 at 7:34 PM, JeremiahC99 said:

Quill is getting the 15 XE60s for the M14. 40 2011-13 LFSAs and 15 XE60s would be enough for the M14 and M35 routes.

All XD60s at Quill will be going to other depots in Manhattan and Brooklyn to retire older buses and expand articulation.

You don’t know this yet for sure. Until EN converts the B82, they shouldn’t be going anywhere. 

On 2/16/2019 at 9:20 PM, Lawrence St said:

The M14SBS was never suppose to be temporary-at least not the main part of the route.

It was in the planning, then it did change to only being temporary (in black and white), then it was put on hold I definitely. Note I never said it was cancelled. Then the new plans are now for a full conversion of both routes which wasn’t in the original plans either. So this has changed now several times and yes according to the new I formation this is what we have on the table now. 

3 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

IINM, had the local stayed, the SBS would have made only a handful of stops along 14th Street.

In my opinion, I wouldn't convert both the M14A&D to SBS, instead I would just have a new SBS M14 operate only along 14th St, similar to the original (L) shutdown plan.

23 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

In my opinion, I wouldn't convert both the M14A&D to SBS, instead I would just have a new SBS M14 operate only along 14th St, similar to the original (L) shutdown plan.

Why run only on 14th Street when the Lower East Side can benefit from SBS service as well. Couple that with an extension of the M14D up to the M23 SBS terminal at the northern end of Chelsea Piers, along with a workable busway plan (or what boards 4, 5, and 6 concoct for 14th Street) and you got a great plan for 14th Street and areas of the Lower East Side.

Now all we need are brand new Electric artics for the M14, and that new Fare-Payment OMNY card readers built into the machines and its even better. An efficient busway (or something) with the latest cleaner burning buses with the newest fare payment system: Who doesn't want any of that? This should bring the passengers back on the crosstown routes.

IMO I think they dropped the ball when making the B44 the first Bklyn SBS...

it should’ve been either the B41 or B6 easily... don’t get me wrong the B44 is a good choice too but an SBS downtown Brooklyn to Kings Plaza is a no brainer if you ask me... and the B6 is just a beast busiest route hands down in Brooklyn 

28 minutes ago, JFK Depot said:

IMO I think they dropped the ball when making the B44 the first Bklyn SBS...

it should’ve been either the B41 or B6 easily... don’t get me wrong the B44 is a good choice too but an SBS downtown Brooklyn to Kings Plaza is a no brainer if you ask me... and the B6 is just a beast busiest route hands down in Brooklyn 

A little over 5 years too late on that one. 

The 41SBS is on the table. However, there are some underlying issues that need addressing including construction on Flatbush, and dollar van enforcement. These commuter vans are going to find another way to avoid Flatbush at all costs if they want to survive. 

7 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

A little over 5 years too late on that one. 

The 41SBS is on the table. However, there are some underlying issues that need addressing including construction on Flatbush, and dollar van enforcement. These commuter vans are going to find another way to avoid Flatbush at all costs if they want to survive. 

The Vans is more of a DOT issue.. and TLC should be out there heavier to enforce things... they should really be looking into 60ft conversion on the 41 before they think about doing the 46 

3 minutes ago, JFK Depot said:

The Vans is more of a DOT issue.. and TLC should be out there heavier to enforce things... they should really be looking into 60ft conversion on the 41 before they think about doing the 46 

Also they really need to improve the area of the junction (Flatbush (2)(5) station). As I use the area coming home from college classes 4 out of the 5 days I go to college, traffic there can be quite a mess. How about adding a offset-bus lane on Flatbush Avenue from Farragut Road to Avenue H, then curbside lanes from Avenue H to Avenue I. A bus boarder at the south end of the block would be installed to meet the lane.

Going south of the Junction, there should be off-set bus lanes south of Kings Hwy, a stop consolidation of the B41 stops at Kings Hwy and Flatlands Av to speed service for those passengers, and a HOV 3+ lane south of Utica Avenue. Those ideas can work.

North of the junction should feature curbside bus lanes at certain places to Empire Blvd, then some offset Bus lanes from Empire to Atlantic Avenue. North of Atlantic Avenue, is unknown, as I have thought of some long term plans for it (which are related to that Downtown Brooklyn Bus Study the DOT did in 2011), but for the most part, as a link to the Manhattan Bridge, an HOV 3+ lane would be installed to ease traffic flow.

I think this would be great for Flatbush Avenue. In addition, the B41 Local/SBS, and B46 Local/SBS would also FULLY use articulated buses to deal with ridership issues, especially during both weekdays and weekends. Also, the Bergen Beach of the B41 would be renamed as the B91 to further improve service (less confusion on which bus goes where in the long run).

9 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Also they really need to improve the area of the junction (Flatbush (2)(5) station). As I use the area coming home from college classes 4 out of the 5 days I go to college, traffic there can be quite a mess. How about adding a offset-bus lane on Flatbush Avenue from Farragut Road to Avenue H, then curbside lanes from Avenue H to Avenue I. A bus boarder at the south end of the block would be installed to meet the lane.

Going south of the Junction, there should be off-set bus lanes south of Kings Hwy, a stop consolidation of the B41 stops at Kings Hwy and Flatlands Av to speed service for those passengers, and a HOV 3+ lane south of Utica Avenue. Those ideas can work.

North of the junction should feature curbside bus lanes at certain places to Empire Blvd, then some offset Bus lanes from Empire to Atlantic Avenue. North of Atlantic Avenue, is unknown, as I have thought of some long term plans for it (which are related to that Downtown Brooklyn Bus Study the DOT did in 2011), but for the most part, as a link to the Manhattan Bridge, an HOV 3+ lane would be installed to ease traffic flow.

I think this would be great for Flatbush Avenue. In addition, the B41 Local/SBS, and B46 Local/SBS would also FULLY use articulated buses to deal with ridership issues, especially during both weekdays and weekends. Also, the Bergen Beach of the B41 would be renamed as the B91 to further improve service (less confusion on which bus goes where in the long run).

Makes perfect sense...  and since this idea includes running 60s how about interlining the SBS’s at KP... 1 comes down as a 41 and goes back up as a 46 and vice versa

18 hours ago, JFK Depot said:

Makes perfect sense...  and since this idea includes running 60s how about interlining the SBS’s at KP... 1 comes down as a 41 and goes back up as a 46 and vice versa

So the dollar van nonsense can affect Utica Ave also? Hell no...that would be a big mistake..

No interlining should be happening whatsoever with SBS routes. Leave them seperate.

Edited by Jdog14

5 hours ago, Jdog14 said:

So the dollar van nonsense can affect Utica Ave also? Hell no...that would be a big mistake..

No interlining should be happening whatsoever with SBS routes. Leave them seperate.

Lol your about to be mad when the M14SBS come on then... both A and D will be SBS meaning that it will be interlined... and you could Interline at Kings Plaza it could work... the Vans can’t be stopped much.. as I stated before that’s a DOT issue and the TLC has to get out there in a heavier presence to control that issue... 

1 hour ago, JFK Depot said:

Lol your about to be mad when the M14SBS come on then... both A and D will be SBS meaning that it will be interlined... and you could Interline at Kings Plaza it could work... the Vans can’t be stopped much.. as I stated before that’s a DOT issue and the TLC has to get out there in a heavier presence to control that issue... 

The M14 A/D is largely the same route besides the extreme ends of each route. The B46 and B41 run nowhere near each other til you reach KP and have two completely different markets seperate of each other

1 minute ago, Jdog14 said:

The M14 A/D is largely the same route besides the extreme ends of each route. The B46 and B41 run nowhere near each other til you reach KP and have two completely different markets seperate of each other

6 hours ago, Jdog14 said:

On 3/1/2019 at 7:26 AM, JFK Depot said:

Before SBS started on the 46, At FB depot both the 41 and the 46 use to interline. Some run was the first half you would do the B41 and your second half you  would do B46. At the moment only the B2 and B31 interline at FB and some AM rush hour runs has B44 doing a short trip on the 41 from Ave P to Empire Blvd. 

On a Busy day where the 41 is extremely behind schedule at KP, dispatchers usually use a sbs46 bus to do a short trip  on the 41 from KP to Empire Blvd especially on a special holiday where kp is jammed.

1 hour ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

Before SBS started on the 46, At FB depot both the 41 and the 46 use to interline. Some run was the first half you would do the B41 and your second half you  would do B46. At the moment only the B2 and B31 interline at FB and some AM rush hour runs has B44 doing a short trip on the 41 from Ave P to Empire Blvd. 

On a Busy day where the 41 is extremely behind schedule at KP, dispatchers usually use a sbs46 bus to do a short trip  on the 41 from KP to Empire Blvd especially on a special holiday where kp is jammed.

Thank you for filling him in on this... which is why I mentioned It in the first place... Flatbush Ave is horrible which creates bunching so the 46 can help out... You can come from 1 end and go down the other... it would be really smart when and if the 41 becomes an SBS 

1 hour ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

I’m going to steer this discussion onto a different Bus route that is planned to get an SBS conversion:  

I wonder how the (MTA) will convert the Q58 into an SBS Route due to the amount of Curves it has along its route. 

Lol the 41 is on the table...  the Q58 will probably mirror how the Q44 is with bus lanes in certain places