Select Bus Service Discussion Thread

Union Tpke

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Jdog14 said:

So the dollar van nonsense can affect Utica Ave also? Hell no...that would be a big mistake..

No interlining should be happening whatsoever with SBS routes. Leave them seperate.

The whole reason the B46 LTD came about was to counter dollar vans. There was a fare discount as well.

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/27985790/daily_news/

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/27985768/daily_news/

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/27992501/daily_news/

Just now, Union Tpke said:

The whole reason the B46 LTD came about was to counter dollar vans. There was a fare discount as well.

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/27985790/daily_news/

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/27985768/daily_news/

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/27992501/daily_news/

Well that hasn't worked cause they are out there in droves...lol

2 hours ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

At 16:17 a sbs46 bus was used for the 41 for a short trip from kp to empire blvd. Today a lot of passengers traffic at KP

Wow. That’s something very interesting an 76xx bus on the 41. 

The last time I saw a SBS rolling down Flatbush was a rush hour artic working the 41 than deadheading to the 44 on Empire.  Too bad they can’t have a LFSA artic do one trip on the 41 to empire in the morning. 

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

Wow. That’s something very interesting an 76xx bus on the 41. 

The last time I saw a SBS rolling down Flatbush was a rush hour artic working the 41 than deadheading to the 44 on Empire.  Too bad they can’t have a LFSA artic do one trip on the 41 to empire in the morning. 

Yes that sbs46 bus doing an 41 empire trip usually happens  with certain dispatcher on post and when the 41 is way behind schedule with no buses coming to KP anytime soon. The dispatcher ask the operator on the sbs46 thats done for the day if they want to do an extra service?.... Of course its OT

If I had the opportunity to roll that LFSA on the 41, I would 🤪

Added note: “On school trips out of FB depot the 41, 46, 44, 47, B12 and B7 uses the 76xx buses in the afternoon”. 

Edited by Flatbush SBS Duece
Adding note

49 minutes ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

Yes that sbs46 bus doing an 41 empire trip usually happens  with certain dispatcher on post and when the 41 is way behind schedule with no buses coming to KP anytime soon. The dispatcher ask the operator on the sbs46 thats done for the day if they want to do an extra service?.... Of course its OT

If I had the opportunity to roll that LFSA on the 41, I would 🤪

Added note: “On school trips out of FB depot the 41, 46, 44, 47, B12 and B7 uses the 76xx buses in the afternoon”. 

certain runs on the sbs46 are used as wildcat runs throughout Flatbush. SLD Plummer (avenue p & flatbush post) was one of the first to request extra run help from the 46sbs for B41 kings plaza - empire or church avenue trips (before he retired) 

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry

1 hour ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

certain runs on the sbs46 are used as wildcat runs throughout Flatbush. SLD Plummer (avenue p & flatbush post) was one of the first to request extra run help from the 46sbs for B41 kings plaza - empire or church avenue trips (before he retired) 

Copy. It’s very rare to see a 76xx on the 41 run.

On 2/28/2019 at 1:23 PM, JFK Depot said:

IMO I think they dropped the ball when making the B44 the first Bklyn SBS...

it should’ve been either the B41 or B6 easily... don’t get me wrong the B44 is a good choice too but an SBS downtown Brooklyn to Kings Plaza is a no brainer if you ask me... and the B6 is just a beast busiest route hands down in Brooklyn 

The 6 and the 41 are not easy lines to convert at all. The 44 was the easiest out of Brooklyn Division

On 2/28/2019 at 9:39 PM, JFK Depot said:

The Vans is more of a DOT issue.. and TLC should be out there heavier to enforce things... they should really be looking into 60ft conversion on the 41 before they think about doing the 46 

The 41 has a lot to be planned and we don’t have the artics for it right now.

On 3/1/2019 at 7:26 AM, JFK Depot said:

Makes perfect sense...  and since this idea includes running 60s how about interlining the SBS’s at KP... 1 comes down as a 41 and goes back up as a 46 and vice versa

That’s not a good idea at all. Interlining of these SBS routes would seriously decrease reliability and make the dispatchers job harder. That’s fine on a local line but not a good idea here.

On 3/2/2019 at 1:57 AM, Jdog14 said:

So the dollar van nonsense can affect Utica Ave also? Hell no...that would be a big mistake..

No interlining should be happening whatsoever with SBS routes. Leave them seperate.

I agree that they should not be interlined unless they are branch routes like the M14A/D, M34/34A, or the Q52/53.

18 minutes ago, East New York said:

The 6 and the 41 are not easy lines to convert at all. The 44 was the easiest out of Brooklyn Division

The 41 has a lot to be planned and we don’t have the artics for it right now.

May I ask whats the difficulty with the B6 and B41? 

1 hour ago, East New York said:

The 6 having the heaviest ridership out of 44 41 and 82 (only reason I mention the 82 is because it’s the next line up in Bklyn)  I can’t see why they didn’t look into that further... Granted the 6 at certain points isn’t streamlined but I’m sure with enough study an B6 SBS can happen 

12 minutes ago, JFK Depot said:

The 6 having the heaviest ridership out of 44 41 and 82 (only reason I mention the 82 is because it’s the next line up in Bklyn)  I can’t see why they didn’t look into that further... Granted the 6 at certain points isn’t streamlined but I’m sure with enough study an B6 SBS can happen 

I’m not the biggest fan of having a B6SBS due to a couple of factors. The route isn’t streamlined enough. Especially in the Flatlands, Canarsie and East New York areas. For one the 6 should travel via Flatlands and Avenue J straight route to Bensonhurst and vice versa. If the line could be streamlined to where the SBS travels strictly on Avenue J in both directions than I personally do see a shot for the 6 to become SBS.  

Have the local operate on H and possibly give it a new route number (TA is not in the business for this) 

6 hours ago, JFK Depot said:

I don't depend on that so call data MTA use to determined which lines has the most passenger traffic. You have to remember sometimes fare beaters uses the back door and  sometimes operators don't even press the F5 to record unpaid passengers.  I know on the 41 almost every other stops I see passengers going through the back door or going through the front asking for a ride. 

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2019/03/07/leaked-documents-show-mtadot-may-bail-on-14th-street-busway/

The presentation is at the bottom of the article.

The Busway is still in play, but it’s not doing so well.

Transportation officials are still considering converting 14th Street into a bus-only roadway — though a presentation given to elected officials on Wednesday and subsequently leaked to Streetsblog described such a plan as “complicated” compared to a traditional bus lane.

The briefing revealed that the city Department of Transportation and the state-run MTA are looking at still looking two designs for 14th Street after having settled on a 17-hour, seven-day-a-week busway to mitigate the disaster of the L-train repair project, which has been radically reimagined. One would be the “Busway”: converting 14th Street between Ninth and First avenues into lanes for buses only, with taxi and local delivery vehicles permitted only to make drop-offs. That plan also calls for seven-foot-wide pedestrian expansions into the street. That plan has the support of transit activists who thought it would allow the city’s buses to move faster than the average New Yorker can walk.

The downside? According to the MTA/DOT, the Busway was more suited to a complete L shutdown, and is deemed a “complicated traffic pattern that may divert through traffic to other crosstown streets.” Opponents, who have threatened to sue the city and the MTA, say a busway would send car drivers onto local roadways in Greenwich Village and Chelsea, inundating those quiet neighborhoods with cars.

19 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

53894646_2212142032359040_38748076792726Also what the heck is going on with that M14A western terminal?

How is that better than Abingdon Square and what problems with the current terminal does that solve?

Probably to make 14th st more "served". Only thing they need to do is fix 10th Av and it's not a bad area to terminate.

4 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2019/03/07/leaked-documents-show-mtadot-may-bail-on-14th-street-busway/

The presentation is at the bottom of the article.

The Busway is still in play, but it’s not doing so well.

Transportation officials are still considering converting 14th Street into a bus-only roadway — though a presentation given to elected officials on Wednesday and subsequently leaked to Streetsblog described such a plan as “complicated” compared to a traditional bus lane.

The briefing revealed that the city Department of Transportation and the state-run MTA are looking at still looking two designs for 14th Street after having settled on a 17-hour, seven-day-a-week busway to mitigate the disaster of the L-train repair project, which has been radically reimagined. One would be the “Busway”: converting 14th Street between Ninth and First avenues into lanes for buses only, with taxi and local delivery vehicles permitted only to make drop-offs. That plan also calls for seven-foot-wide pedestrian expansions into the street. That plan has the support of transit activists who thought it would allow the city’s buses to move faster than the average New Yorker can walk.

The downside? According to the MTA/DOT, the Busway was more suited to a complete L shutdown, and is deemed a “complicated traffic pattern that may divert through traffic to other crosstown streets.” Opponents, who have threatened to sue the city and the MTA, say a busway would send car drivers onto local roadways in Greenwich Village and Chelsea, inundating those quiet neighborhoods with cars.

I think they should just keep the busway option intact. Community boards 4, 5, and 6, which the 14th Street and 23rd Street corridors serve, would really like to see some real speed improvements after having noted enforcement problems on the nearby 34th Street corridor. After all, 30000 riders use the M14, so it would be beneficial to give them faster service and to avoid mistakes made on both 34th Street and 23rd Street.

On another note, I also looked at King Street Busway Pilot report, and if we use the King Street Busway, which is in Andy Byford's old stomping ground in Toronto, Canada, as a model for planning busways in NYC, pilot it here on 14th Street for two months, and apply it to all the major crosstown streets in Manhattan below 59th Street, then those crosstown buses will be a lot faster in this city, and more people would jump back on the bus for short trips, with the potential to take cars off the road. More people, more money, which can be used for service increases anywhere. Again, who doesn't want faster service.

16 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Aren't Eagle Teams suppose to be patrolling every SBS line once in a while? I've been on the M23 and Bx12 a lot lately and haven't seen one single person.

Eagle teams appear less often than fare beaters themselves. But I hear they appear semi-often on the B44/46 and less often on other routes.

6 minutes ago, Train92 said:

Since the Bx12 started, i've only seen the eagle team twice in my life:

On February 24th, 2019 on the B46 at Utica and Fulton

On March 3rd, 2019 on the Q53 at Woodhaven and Jamaica Avenue

maybe i just don't go outside a lot

They should be on the Bx12 more often...lots of kids farebeat during the school time.

39 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

They should be on the Bx12 more often...lots of kids farebeat during the school time.

They don’t give kids fines they are kids .. kids farebeat on every route, most they can do is tell them to use your school metro card to get a ticket

Edited by Kingjunior34