Select Bus Service Discussion Thread

Union Tpke

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

But still, isnt the fare going up and service getting cut because farebeaters are doing it?

Students here aren't the issue. School's can make it hell for Students to get replacement MetroCards' and in essence Students are no longer being targeted according to an Internal NYPD Memo. The thing is that a student shouldn't be punished for not having a MetroCard, mind that Students with MetroCards don't have to pay for a ride, while adults have to. So it isn't fair in both senses. Adults are curbing this bad habit, and they are the one's who deserved to be punished to the fullest extent. Students have nothing to do with Fare Beating increasing, they're just kids. Most of these kids come from struggling families who can barely put food on the table, and putting shit on their record for not having a MetroCard is just insane too. This shouldn't even have to be a conversation, it's quite clear that the adults curb this bad behavior and they should be the ones reprimanded for it.

Edited by WestFarms36

1 minute ago, WestFarms36 said:

Students here aren't the issue. School's can make it hell for Students to get replacement MetroCards' and in essence Students are no longer being targeted according to an Internal NYPD Memo. The thing is that a student shouldn't be punished for not having a MetroCard, mind that Students with MetroCards don't have to pay for a ride, while adults have to. So it isn't fair in both senses. Adults are curbing this bad habit, and they are the one's who deserved to be punished to the fullest extent. Students have nothing to do with Fare Beating increasing, they're just kids. Most of these kids come from struggling families who can barely put food on the table, and putting shit on their record for not having a MetroCard is just redicolous too. This shouldn't even have to be a conversation, it's quite clear that the adults curb this bad behavior and they should be the ones reprimanded for it.

I understand. I misunderstood the situation.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2018 at 4:21 AM, East New York said:

This thread will be to discuss all pending and planned SBS routes throughout the 5 boroughs. Planning calls for these routes to be rolled out through the next decade. For discussion about current SBS service, please refer to the existing, and recently renamed General SBS Discussion Thread.

Listed below are all the planned SBS routes as of September 9, 2018. Current priority is B82, M14, and S90. Please remember all information is subject to change without notice. 

Bronx Division

Bx3, Bx9, Bx15, Bx19, Bx28/38, Bx36, Bx40/42

Brooklyn Division

B6, B15, B35, B38*, B41, B82

*New Brooklyn Crosstown SBS may end up being some version of the B38 SBS vs an all new route.

Manhattan Division

M14, M96

Queens Division**

Q6, Q12, Q25, Q27, Q43, Q46, Q58, Q65, Q66 to Manhattan, Q85, Q113/114

** Please note Queens will be the last borough to undergo bus redesign. All planned SBS services for this borough will be put on hold until 2021. 

Staten Island

S90 or Some new SBS form of it.

@East New York The MTA had said that it would hold off on SBS, but this might have changed with the Better Buses Action Plan. Have you heard anything about this? It sure seems like the M96 SBS is after the M14 A and D.

47646525181_9365f8678b.jpgScreen Shot 2019-04-19 at 6.35.39 PM by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

26 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

@East New York The MTA had said that it would hold off on SBS, but this might have changed with the Better Buses Action Plan. Have you heard anything about this? It sure seems like the M96 SBS is after the M14 A and D.

47646525181_9365f8678b.jpgScreen Shot 2019-04-19 at 6.35.39 PM by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

The M96 was supposed to have started this year but was held back until next. Unless something has changed by now? 

1 minute ago, Brillant93 said:

The M96 was supposed to have started this year but was held back until next. Unless something has changed by now? 

That is correct, but the DOT is working to start SBS up, and the MTA will likely do so with the need for better alternatives with the passage of congestion pricing and additional funding.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/28/2019 at 1:23 PM, JFK Depot said:

IMO I think they dropped the ball when making the B44 the first Bklyn SBS...

it should’ve been either the B41 or B6 easily... don’t get me wrong the B44 is a good choice too but an SBS downtown Brooklyn to Kings Plaza is a no brainer if you ask me... and the B6 is just a beast busiest route hands down in Brooklyn 

Brooklyn gets stiffed too much and they could use the most improvements. When B35 mentioned their political incompetence, he wasn't kidding.

Why do 2.5 million people stay in the company [at the mercy, I mean] of such incompetent representatives?

On 3/7/2019 at 5:59 PM, Union Tpke said:

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2019/03/07/leaked-documents-show-mtadot-may-bail-on-14th-street-busway/

The presentation is at the bottom of the article.

The Busway is still in play, but it’s not doing so well.

Transportation officials are still considering converting 14th Street into a bus-only roadway — though a presentation given to elected officials on Wednesday and subsequently leaked to Streetsblog described such a plan as “complicated” compared to a traditional bus lane.

The briefing revealed that the city Department of Transportation and the state-run MTA are looking at still looking two designs for 14th Street after having settled on a 17-hour, seven-day-a-week busway to mitigate the disaster of the L-train repair project, which has been radically reimagined. One would be the “Busway”: converting 14th Street between Ninth and First avenues into lanes for buses only, with taxi and local delivery vehicles permitted only to make drop-offs. That plan also calls for seven-foot-wide pedestrian expansions into the street. That plan has the support of transit activists who thought it would allow the city’s buses to move faster than the average New Yorker can walk.

The downside? According to the MTA/DOT, the Busway was more suited to a complete L shutdown, and is deemed a “complicated traffic pattern that may divert through traffic to other crosstown streets.” Opponents, who have threatened to sue the city and the MTA, say a busway would send car drivers onto local roadways in Greenwich Village and Chelsea, inundating those quiet neighborhoods with cars.

New York City Transit. Still at the mercy of heartless NIMBYs. 😔

These people can literally afford to jet. Even if I became well off, I can't imagine ever living below I-287 ever again. I can't coexist with that many egos.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

I'm surprised they didn't use the new SBS timetable format for the B82 but did for the M14A/D.

6 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Wow that's frequent overnight service, presumably to connect to the (J) at Delancey

IDK if 10 minute overnight service on the M14A is needed though. The (L) runes it's regular frequency overnight and the (J) only runs every 20 minutes overnight. I doubt that there was an extreme boost in overnight ridership.

57 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

IDK if 10 minute overnight service on the M14A is needed though. The (L) runes it's regular frequency overnight and the (J) only runs every 20 minutes overnight. I doubt that there was an extreme boost in overnight ridership.

There wasn’t. The only boost there was is on the M line. I said before people are going to take the train over a bus. The MTA is just throwing money for the M14 sbs for no reason in my opinion. 

At the expense of other corridors, SBS was implemented on crosstown bus corridors in Manhattan.

Yet, look at this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/30/nyregion/trying-to-get-buses-to-crawl-a-little-faster.html?searchResultPosition=6

But the Manhattan crosstown routes most notorious for their maddening slowness -- like the M23 and the M96 -- are not part of the study. The short distances traveled and the need to stop at every avenue do not make bus rapid transit feasible, planners said.

I don't know if this thread is the perfect place to put this, but there is news on the 14th Street Plans: Today, NY Supreme Court Justice Eileen Rakower blocked the DOT from implementing the 14th Street Busway. However, the M14A/D SBS is still scheduled to be implemented on Monday. Don't believe me? Google "14th Street Busway" and in the news, there should be a few articles about the restraining order.

1 hour ago, JeremiahC99 said:

I don't know if this thread is the perfect place to put this, but there is news on the 14th Street Plans: Today, NY Supreme Court Justice Eileen Rakower blocked the DOT from implementing the 14th Street Busway. However, the M14A/D SBS is still scheduled to be implemented on Monday. Don't believe me? Google "14th Street Busway" and in the news, there should be a few articles about the restraining order.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!

https://gothamist.com/2019/06/28/14th_street_busway_block.php

Edited by Union Tpke

23 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

That's right. Arthur Schwartz and his transit-hating villains have done it again, blocking a beneficial bus lanes due to them putting their own interests getting in the way of better bus service. I bet this will go out of control when they go back to court in August.

You know it never ceases to amaze me on what great lengths these people will go to in order to stop improvements to make bus service better. I've seen it all from community board oppositions to written letters, but full-fledged lawsuits, really? What else are they going to do?

16 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

That's right. Arthur Schwartz and his transit-hating villains have done it again, blocking a beneficial bus lanes due to them putting their own interests getting in the way of better bus service. I bet this will go out of control when they go back to court in August.

You know it never ceases to amaze me on what great lengths these people will go to in order to stop improvements to make bus service better. I've seen it all from community board oppositions to written letters, but full-fledged lawsuits, really? What else are they going to do?

It's all because of some greedy politicians that want to drive their cars around. So I guess the M14 SBS is now another S79 SBS with no bus lanes.

Thanks so much for running buses😒

arthur-schwartz-pier-40-hudson-park-2018

“If speeding up buses at the expense of my kids breathing soot in their lungs, the buses can be 1 mile an hour slower,” said Schwartz.

What a stupid A** hole, the cars and trucks that are bustling down the street now have more soot than just these buses down 14th Street. How dumb can politicians be?

Edited by Lil 57