Select Bus Service Discussion Thread

Union Tpke

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

It's all because of some greedy politicians that want to drive their cars around. So I guess the M14 SBS is now another S79 SBS with no bus lanes.

Thanks so much for running buses😒

arthur-schwartz-pier-40-hudson-park-2018

What a stupid A** hole, the cars and trucks that are bustling down the street now have more soot than just these buses down 14th Street. How dumb can politicians be?

I thought the s79 had bus lanes it just didnt have off board boarding.

22 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I thought the s79 had bus lanes it just didnt have off board boarding.

Only on Hylan north of Lincoln Ave and for a section on Richmond from Forest Hill Road to the SI Mall. The ones on Hylan are only peak hours, peak direction. The S79 is basically a limited and since the SBS wraps are getting discontinued that doesn't help either.

2 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Only on Hylan north of Lincoln Ave and for a section on Richmond from Forest Hill Road to the SI Mall. The ones on Hylan are only peak hours, peak direction. The S79 is basically a limited and since the SBS wraps are getting discontinued that doesn't help either.

Still better than the old S79 local

2 hours ago, Calvin said:

Is there a reason to how come the S79 is a SBS route but doesn't do machines with receipts and all-doors to open?

With the exception of the SI Mall and the first stop in Brooklyn, ridership at the stops aren’t enough to warrant off-board payment.

15 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

There is no room for bus lanes on Lefferts.

This is what made me think that the B15 cannot be +SBS a year ago. But the B46 +SBS is privileged, and has no room for the bus lanes going from St. Johns Pl towards Fulton and passed it via Utica Ave(also the opposite run). And yes for the one who said that the Q10 works for +SBS. Wait Lefferts ??? I know the B15 don't run on Lefferts Ave, unless you mean something else.

7 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

You don’t necessarily need bus lanes for sbs, you can get away with off board payment. If I recall the Q70 doesn’t have bus lanes, correct me if I’m wrong. 

I know, but that is obsolete with OMNY. Bus lanes would pretty much be the only thing that sets SBS apart from other buses, besides farther stop spacing. In fact, the stop spacing might be it. Some local routes, such as the M102 and M103 have bus lanes, and routes like the M1 and Q5 have TSP.

13 minutes ago, King Transit said:

This is what made me think that the B15 cannot be +SBS a year ago. But the B46 +SBS is privileged, and has no room for the bus lanes going from St. Johns Pl towards Fulton and passed it via Utica Ave(also the opposite run). And yes for the one who said that the Q10 works for +SBS. Wait Lefferts ??? I know the B15 don't run on Lefferts Ave, unless you mean something else.

I was talking about the Q10. If it were up to me, I would rip out every single one of the parking spots on Lefferts and provide 7 AM- 7 PM bus lanes (I would love to go further and make them 24 hour), but that won't fly as this is a major commercial corridor going through residential areas. They are adding a southbound bus lane on the B46 between Chauncey and Atlantic.

12 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

You don’t necessarily need bus lanes for sbs, you can get away with off board payment. If I recall the Q70 doesn’t have bus lanes, correct me if I’m wrong. 

It doesn't. While the BQE moves pretty quickly, lanes should be provided there. In addition, bus lanes NEED to be provided in the airport for the Q70. The dedicated busway for the M60 that @bobtehpanda had suggested some time back would be amazing, but it is likely too late for that.

1 hour ago, Union Tpke said:

I am not as familiar with the JFK section of the Q10, but perhaps there is a way to add bus lanes in the Airport. South of Rockaway Boulevard, Lefferts Boulevard widens, so there should be room for lanes there. The same for Rockaway Boulevard.

This is what I think. If traffic can still move a bit while lanes can be blocked for construction, traffic can still move if two lanes are removed for bus lanes.

48226396102_9ea6760be6_b.jpgScreen Shot 2019-07-07 at 7.45.21 PM by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

14 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

...They are adding a southbound bus lane on the B46 between Chauncey and Atlantic.

I haven't heard that, do that means they should rip out the parking between Chauncey and Fulton. And I knew that they should re-modify the 2 stops on Fulton St(hope it goes under construction now). Because in my observation, the congestion is worse on that corridor between Fulton and Atlantic on the curve. Plus, I was thinking the Vision Zero team adds more traffic secs for Utica Ave and Atlantic Ave.