Select Bus Service Discussion Thread

Union Tpke

On 7/8/2019 at 9:27 AM, King Transit said:

I haven't heard that, do that means they should rip out the parking between Chauncey and Fulton. And I knew that they should re-modify the 2 stops on Fulton St(hope it goes under construction now). Because in my observation, the congestion is worse on that corridor between Fulton and Atlantic on the curve. Plus, I was thinking the Vision Zero team adds more traffic secs for Utica Ave and Atlantic Ave.  

I am well aware of the congestion on the curve between Fulton and Atlantic. As a City Tech student who, as a full-time student, takes the B46 SBS to Fulton Street, then the (A)(C) to either Jay Street-MetroTech (Namm/Library (formerly Atrium/General/Pearl Halls) or High Street (Voorhees Hall), I notice that going northbound in the morning, there is usually congestion between Bergen Street and Fulton Street, with the curve being the worst offender. I see a line of cars parked along that curve and on one ride, I was thinking “Can they convert that northbound parking lane into a protected bus lane directly into the bus stop?” That could get northbound B46 local and SBS to go around congestion in the adjacent lane. The lane would be active during rush hours only. To complement it, they should modify the timing of the signals at every intersection between Eastern Pkwy and DeKalb Avenue to be coordinated with the buses (Transit Signal Priority) as to further speed up trips. Also, the bus lane north of Bergen Street should also have some protected bollards to protect abuse, especially from the NYPD, with the district next to it.

Note that I am currently off from school for the summer until August 27th, so I won’t be able to figure out how congestion is during the summer vacation. However, I do expect to see some improvements to the conditions  there.

Edited by JeremiahC99

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excuse me but some people actually can't understand the terrible advertisement on the machines that say get ticket here. 

It is understood that metrocard serves as the ticket for all NYC transit so a paper or receipt ticket doesn't make sense as far as fee payment.

Other cities in the US have a different system so you cannot say this is common practice elsewhere. In other countries they do not make the mistake of calling it a ticket machine but rather tell people to VALIDATE their ticket ahead of time. Even NJ transit light rail has this system. But the fact that there is no clear signage stating ticket or metrocards must be validated as a paper receipt prior to boarding leaves people thinking they can "pay" once they board which turns out they can't because the machine he been covered and made to look like out of order. I'm not unreasonable in saying this is a misunderstanding people can have and the TAB doesn't understand this when you hand out summonses liberally. 

What's especially frustrating is the LMK of consistency over people who are riding with a free transfer or an unlimited card vs people who never bothered to pay in the first place. The TAB doesn't understand the someone who already paid their fare and has a free transfer he paid that's it , thus even if they did not validate their transfer it was still paid for and person boarding SBS is not evading any fare.

On 7/7/2019 at 5:44 PM, Brillant93 said:

You don’t necessarily need bus lanes for sbs, you can get away with off board payment. If I recall the Q70 doesn’t have bus lanes, correct me if I’m wrong. 

Yes, Q70 doesn't have any bus lane. When there's heavey traffic, some Q70 drivers use local street.

It feels like all crosstown buses becoming SBS in Manhattan.

M96 SBS:

Eastbound:

96th St/west End-Broadway; Amst, Columbus, CPW, 5th, Mad, Lex, 3rd, 2nd Avs, 97th St/1st Av.

Westbound: 

97th St/1st Av, 96th St/2nd, 3rd, Lex, Mad, 97th St/5th Av, CPW/97th St, 96th St/Columbus, Ams, Broadway, 97th St/West End Av.

If M42 becomes SBS.

Eastbound:

12th Av/42nd St pier, 42nd St/12th-11th Avs, 10th, 9th, 8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, Mad, Lex, 3rd, 2nd, 1st Avs.

Westbound: 

41st St/1st, 42nd St/2nd, 3rd, Lex, Mad, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th-12th Avs, 12th Av/42nd St Pier.

Edited by FamousNYLover

8 hours ago, FamousNYLover said:

It feels like all crosstown buses becoming SBS in Manhattan.

M96 SBS:

Eastbound:

96th St/west End-Broadway; Amst, Columbus, CPW, 5th, Mad, Lex, 3rd, 2nd Avs, 97th St/1st Av.

Westbound: 

97th St/1st Av, 96th St/2nd, 3rd, Lex, Mad, 97th St/5th Av, CPW/97th St, 96th St/Columbus, Ams, Broadway, 97th St/West End Av.

If M42 becomes SBS.

Eastbound:

12th Av/42nd St pier, 42nd St/12th-11th Avs, 10th, 9th, 8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, Mad, Lex, 3rd, 2nd, 1st Avs.

Westbound: 

41st St/1st, 42nd St/2nd, 3rd, Lex, Mad, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th-12th Avs, 12th Av/42nd St Pier.

The M96 I could see getting SBS later. The M42 is so damn slow and has so much traffic I doubt SBS will make a difference (you also have the (S) and (7) being much faster in the center).

3 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

I swear using the broken-half-the-time machines at LGA are so annoying... just make the Q70 free if we’re all going to the subway anyways...

Agreed. If the JFK AirTrain is free within their airport, why can’t the Q70 be free within LaGuardia? It functions almost the same way.

11 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

The M96 I could see getting SBS later. The M42 is so damn slow and has so much traffic I doubt SBS will make a difference (you also have the (S) and (7) being much faster in the center).

So long as Lincoln Tunnel traffic is using 42 St the M42 will be a victim and no amount of SBS will do anything. 

11 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

They have shuttle buses which already do that.

I’m also talking about making it free to/from the subway. Everyone is coming to/from the Subway and nearly collects no revenue, and if they are going to waive the fare during certain times, might as well make it free 365 days a year.

Edited by JeremiahC99

13 minutes ago, NBTA said:

Well, the Q70 does make the least amount of money for an SBS route....or I could be wrong. 

More like the least amount of money out of every local route in the city. Given that everyone (around 90%, but almost everyone) on the bus is coming from the subway or the LIRR (or even another bus at 74th Street-Broadway) the revenue generated from the Q70 can be close to ZERO.

Edited by JeremiahC99

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 2:07 PM, NBTA said:

I honestly don't think that the Bx12 makes the most money either, even though its the most rode bus line in the city "APPARENTLY".

Not anymore.

The 2018 Bus Ridership Stats came out and the M15 took back that spot as the most rode bus line. The Bx12 dropped to number 2.

On 7/18/2019 at 1:07 PM, JeremiahC99 said:

I’m also talking about making it free to/from the subway. Everyone is coming to/from the Subway and nearly collects no revenue, and if they are going to waive the fare during certain times, might as well make it free 365 days a year.

The Q70 is only free during the summer(and during the holiday season) because its the time where some of the highest volume of tourists and passengers use public transportation. It's their way of attracting more people to take the Subway or the LIRR.

You also cannot compare the JFK Airtrain with the Q70. Two completely different operations. The AirTrain is also free within JFK because JFK has more terminals.

Edited by Cait Sith

19 hours ago, Mpn4179 said:

Not anymore.

The 2018 Bus Ridership Stats came out and the M15 took back that spot as the most rode bus line. The Bx12 dropped to number 2.

Your joking right? The Bx12 SBS is so crowded you have to wait for a couple buses to pass before you can actually get on.

• 2 weeks later...