Select Bus Service Discussion Thread

Union Tpke

9 hours ago, Lex said:

And you have proof?

In any case, the busway is sorely needed.

If they tried to do this on 34th, 57th or 125th Street where would all the bridge and tunnel motorists go? It would be too obstructive. Maybe they should do this on Bedford Avenue in Williamsburg to speed up the B62.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, KK7365 said:

If they tried to do this on 34th, 57th or 125th Street where would all the bridge and tunnel motorists go? It would be too obstructive. Maybe they should do this on Bedford Avenue in Williamsburg to speed up the B62.

That doesn't answer the question.

6 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Breaking news: 14th Street busway on hold indefinitely due to appellate court approving an appeal by residents.

Link: https://abc7ny.com/traffic/14th-street-busway-plan-put-on-hold-indefinitely-dot-confirms/5456338/

There should be more coverage on this soon, but seriously, does this ever end?

Then what next? The judge will rule that the busway will be okay to go through and someone else will threaten to sue again? 

7 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Breaking news: 14th Street busway on hold indefinitely due to appellate court approving an appeal by residents.

Link: https://abc7ny.com/traffic/14th-street-busway-plan-put-on-hold-indefinitely-dot-confirms/5456338/

There should be more coverage on this soon, but seriously, does this ever end?

Enough is enough already, JUST LET THE PLAN GO THROUGH!!! Jesus this is annoying.

17 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Enough is enough already, JUST LET THE PLAN GO THROUGH!!! Jesus this is annoying.

18 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

Then what next? The judge will rule that the busway will be okay to go through and someone else will threaten to sue again? 

It’s NIMBYism at its finest. I bet we won’t see any end to this.

And look at that. More coverage on this. It’s the ruling heard round the world.

And in this case, Arthur Schwartz is the definition of annoying.

Edited by JeremiahC99

Just now, JeremiahC99 said:

It’s NIMBYism at its finest. I bet we won’t see any end to this.

And look at that. More coverage on this. It’s the ruling heard round the world.

ALL they've done is complain, and complain...and complain ever since the (L) shutdown planning started. Like enough already.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/11/2018 at 11:40 AM, Future ENY OP said:

There’s something about this Dekalb Avenue SBS I really don’t like. We’re talking about a central part of Brooklyn where congestion is bad and fare evasion is rampant. If this dedicated SBS made a few stops in Ridgewood/Maspeth to the BQE into Downtown Brooklyn than I’d buy it. (I thought that was the original plan) 

The biggest issue I have is the B6. 

A) Fully duplicating the B82 

B) There’s a portion of Glenwood Road that can be used exclusively for the B6 in Canarsie 

C) As East New York mentioned to me earlier is the dwell times along the 6. 

When B6 becomes SBS, they should use artics, I dont know if UP depot is artic ready, but B6 needs artics because it really gets crowded

• 2 weeks later...

M42 SBS, I mean M42 update. The M42, M96 and B35 among other routes will essentially be SBS routes, but, with the arrival of OMNY, SBS branding will go away. Bus stops are being consolidated, bus lanes are being added, queue-jumps and quik curbs are being added-this is an SBS route. I just wish that the bus lanes were 24/7.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/downloads/pdf/42nd-st-cb6-sep042019.pdf

6 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

M42 SBS, I mean M42 update. The M42, M96 and B35 among other routes will essentially be SBS routes, but, with the arrival of OMNY, SBS branding will go away. Bus stops are being consolidated, bus lanes are being added, queue-jumps and quik curbs are being added-this is an SBS route. I just wish that the bus lanes were 24/7.

The only one that is 24/7 is the bus lane on kings hwy between ocean avenue and Flatbush 

51 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

The only one that is 24/7 is the bus lane on kings hwy between ocean avenue and Flatbush 

Ironically, that's where a 24/7 bus lane makes almost no sense. It should have proper hours like most bus lanes in the city.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/11/2019 at 12:29 PM, P3F said:

Ironically, that's where a 24/7 bus lane makes almost no sense. It should have proper hours like most bus lanes in the city.

The bus lanes through Spring Creek Towers are also 24/7.

As for a special livery, I feel that it should be ended, especially since the MTA Bus XD60s for the Q53 SBS (6234 and higher) are/will not be wrapped at all.

On 9/11/2019 at 11:29 AM, Union Tpke said:

Making bus lanes 24/7 in some cases make no sense.  If traffic is flowing then you don't need them 24/7.

35 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Making bus lanes 24/7 in some cases make no sense.  If traffic is flowing then you don't need them 24/7.

Try telling that to the DOT in Brooklyn for Kings Highway and Spring Creek. My guess is that people speed thru the right lane and it’s an deterrent for that aspect. SMH. 7A-7P is good enough. 

30 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Try telling that to the DOT in Brooklyn for Kings Highway and Spring Creek. My guess is that people speed thru the right lane and it’s an deterrent for that aspect. SMH. 7A-7P is good enough. 

If we had better transportation throughout the ENTIRE city, I could understand having bus lanes 24/7, but with the way the (MTA) is going trying to justify cutting service at every turn, they are essentially forcing people to drive, and so those people should be able to get around as well.

7 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

If we had better transportation throughout the ENTIRE city, I could understand having bus lanes 24/7, but with the way the (MTA) is going trying to justify cutting service at every turn, they are essentially forcing people to drive, and so those people should be able to get around as well.

The B82 Select Bus doesn't even run on weekends, much less 24/7. For those bus lanes, anything more than 7AM-9AM and 4PM-7PM is overkill.

8 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

That would be a counterproductive reason for the DOT, since they've installed a multitude of speed cameras on Kings Highway.

Thank goodness for Waze showing their locations, at the very least.

• Cait Sith changed the title to Select Bus Service Discussion Thread
  • Cait Sith pinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

Something I was thinking about on the M14 SBS today. The clear slowdown with a great number of the stops is that the bus sits at a traffic light, then crosses the street to the bus stop, sits there, and then about half the time misses the next light. Wouldn't it make infinitely more sense to have all the stops on the near corners, that's to say, with the traffic lights? That way most of the waiting time could be consolidated, and the bus wouldn't have to wait on one side of the intersection just to go across and wait again after a green light. Given all the expense of installing SBS machines and reconfiguring 14th Street with eliminated stops and a new design, I don't see how something as simple as this couldn't have been considered. 

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

Something I was thinking about on the M14 SBS today. The clear slowdown with a great number of the stops is that the bus sits at a traffic light, then crosses the street to the bus stop, sits there, and then about half the time misses the next light. Wouldn't it make infinitely more sense to have all the stops on the near corners, that's to say, with the traffic lights? That way most of the waiting time could be consolidated, and the bus wouldn't have to wait on one side of the intersection just to go across and wait again after a green light. Given all the expense of installing SBS machines and reconfiguring 14th Street with eliminated stops and a new design, I don't see how something as simple as this couldn't have been considered. 

I always felt that all bus stops should be on the near side of the street where possible.