January 2020 Bus Route & Schedule Changes

BM5 via Woodhaven

It's that time again where I give the rundown of what's changing on certain bus routes in terms of frequencies and/or routing. In any case, here are the changes which will go in effect for MTA bus company routes on January 5th. 

Runtime Changes

B100 (Sun), Q70 (Daily)

Schedule & Frequency Changes

B100 - Sunday Schedule Changes

• Buses from Mill Basin will depart at :00 and :30 instead of at :25 and :55.

Q72 - Rush Hour Reduction of Service Into LaGuardia Airport

• North of 23rd Avenue will be served by every other bus, instead of every bus.
  • Service will operate every 20-30 minutes instead of every 10-15 minutes in the AM.
  • Service will operate every 24-31 minutes instead of every 12-15 minutes in the PM.
  • This is in effect from 7:00 - 10:00 AM and 3:30 - 8:00 PM.

I take the Q72 to the Airport to work daily from Rego Park. Usually I make the same interval every day so I could just figure out which one will end at 94th / 23rd and take the one that goes all the way in, but this will majorly affect my and many other's commute trying to get to work. The Purple route can be a pain showing up (have had to wait up to a half hour for one to show during the afternoon). Especially if I miss my bus and am forced to take the next one ending at 94/23 would put me into jeopardy being late.

Swissport needs to interline their shuttle buses and time them to arrive with MTA buses if they're going to cut runs into the airport.

EDIT: As well as let the Red Route stop at 94/23 already. That seems to run more frequently than the purple route and people like me do need to go directly to Terminal C / D from there!

Edited by 4P3607

19 hours ago, 7-express said:

Why the reduction in LGA service for the Q72?  Is airport construction adversely affecting reliability or is everyone just going for the Q70 instead?

The majority of Q72 buses I've witnessed have no more than 10 people on the bus riding into the airport and maybe about 15 max on busy days. Ridership is quite low compared to the other routes stopping there but the majority of people who use it going into the airport are going to work and rely on it to get in on time. 

Having the Q72 at least terminate by 102 / Ditmars provides easier access to all the shuttle bus routes and the Red Route directly into the airport from there. 

On 1/3/2020 at 2:46 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

It's that time again where I give the rundown of what's changing on certain bus routes in terms of frequencies and/or routing. In any case, here are the changes which will go in effect for MTA bus company routes on January 5th. 

Runtime Changes

B100 (Sun), Q70 (Daily)

Schedule & Frequency Changes

• Service will operate every 20-30 minutes instead of every 10-15 minutes in the AM.
  • Service will operate every 24-31 minutes instead of every 12-15 minutes in the PM.

On 1/3/2020 at 5:14 PM, 7-express said:

Why the reduction in LGA service for the Q72?  Is airport construction adversely affecting reliability or is everyone just going for the Q70 instead?

On 1/3/2020 at 7:09 PM, B35 via Church said:

I have that same question; Q72 has pretty decent usage inside the airport....

Could also be a way to offset the increased runtime buses are taking to get to QB, especially once you start panning south of the (7) ...

On 1/4/2020 at 12:20 PM, 4P3607 said:

I take the Q72 to the Airport to work daily from Rego Park. Usually I make the same interval every day so I could just figure out which one will end at 94th / 23rd and take the one that goes all the way in, but this will majorly affect my and many other's commute trying to get to work. The Purple route can be a pain showing up (have had to wait up to a half hour for one to show during the afternoon). Especially if I miss my bus and am forced to take the next one ending at 94/23 would put me into jeopardy being late.

Swissport needs to interline their shuttle buses and time them to arrive with MTA buses if they're going to cut runs into the airport.

EDIT: As well as let the Red Route stop at 94/23 already. That seems to run more frequently than the purple route and people like me do need to go directly to Terminal C / D from there!

On 1/4/2020 at 12:27 PM, 4P3607 said:

The majority of Q72 buses I've witnessed have no more than 10 people on the bus riding into the airport and maybe about 15 max on busy days. Ridership is quite low compared to the other routes stopping there but the majority of people who use it going into the airport are going to work and rely on it to get in on time. 

Having the Q72 at least terminate by 102 / Ditmars provides easier access to all the shuttle bus routes and the Red Route directly into the airport from there. 

I don't agree with reduction of Q72 bus in LGA either, but when I take Q72 majority, I see some peoples ten-twenty. Sometimes in bad weather, Q72 bus has fifteen people in airport. I seen some tourists use Q72 bus too.

I'm feeling q72's terminus will be 94th St/23rd Av.

At least, Airport's Purple Route stops at 23rd Av.

Airport shuttle buses stop at 94th St/23rd Av, not Ditmars/102nd St. Some airport shuttle bus drivers stop upon request of employees.

49 minutes ago, FamousNYLover said:

I don't agree with reduction of Q72 bus in LGA either, but when I take Q72 majority, I see some peoples ten-twenty. Sometimes in bad weather, Q72 bus has fifteen people in airport. I seen some tourists use Q72 bus too.

I'm feeling q72's terminus will be 94th St/23rd Av.

At least, Airport's Purple Route stops at 23rd Av.

Airport shuttle buses stop at 94th St/23rd Av, not Ditmars/102nd St. Some airport shuttle bus drivers stop upon request of employees.

The Red Route does stop at Ditmars / 102 right before crossing the bridge to C/D. 

I don't understand why it doesn't stop along 23 Avenue at 94 Street. The Purple route is unreliable especially when there's heavy airport traffic.

Going to be dealing with this Q72 cut tomorrow morning. I'll post what happens here. 

Full set of changes with NYCT routes, since the MTA does not like releasing all the service changes at once. Also, it's clear they straight up DGAF with some of these reductions.

Route, Schedule & Frequency Changes

Q2 - Evening Schedule Changes

• Jamaica-bound buses from 9:59 PM until midnight will depart up to 5 minutes earlier than former times.

Q12 - Overnight Schedule Changes, Service Reductions, Erratic Saturday Evening Schedule from Glenwood Street

• Trips will depart up to 5 minutes earlier than former times.
  • From Glenwood St (Sat Nights) Original: 10:06, 10:18, 10:30, 10:50, 11:10, 11:30, 11:54, 12:24 / NEW: 10:17, 10:19, 10:31, 10:49, 11:07, 11:10, 11:47, 12:12.
  • Adjusted trip times on Saturdays throughout the day.

Q28 - AM Rush & Sunday Schedule and Service Changes (Cost-Neutral Practices)

• (Wkdys) The 7:36 AM trip from Bay Terrace to Flushing will now depart at 7:34 AM.
  • (Wkdys) The 7:40 AM trip from Bay Terrace to Flushing will now depart at 7:39 AM.
  • (Wkdys) The 7:58 AM put-in from Francis Lewis Boulevard & 35th Ave will now originate in Bay Terrace at 7:44 AM.
  • (Wkdys) New trips from Flushing to Bay Terrace will be added at 7:00 AM, 7:06 AM, 7:12 AM,
  • (Wkdys) The 7:10 AM, 7:16 AM, and 7:34 AM trips from Flushing to Bay Terrace will now depart at 7:09 AM, 7:15 AM and 7:33 AM, respectively.
  • (Wkdys) The 7:18 AM trip from Flushing to Bayside High School will be extended to Bay Terrace.
  • (Wkdys) The 7:20 AM trip from Flushing to Bay Terrace and the 7:22 AM trip from Flushing to Bayside High School be merged into a 7:21 AM trip from Flushing to Bay Terrace.
  • (Wkdys) The 7:24 and 7:26 AM trips from Flushing to Bay Terrace will be merged into a 7:25 AM trip. 
  • (Wkdys) The 7:28 AM and 7:31 trips from Flushing to Bay Terrace will be merged into a 7:29 AM trip.
  • (Sun) The 6:40 AM trip from Bay Terrace to Flushing will be split into a 6:32 AM and 6:49 AM trip.
  • (Sun) Evening service will operate every 20 minutes instead of every 15-18 minutes. 
  • (Sun) Evening schedules from Bay Terrace will depart up to 13 minutes later than former times.
  • (Sun) New trips added at 10:39 PM and 11:53 PM towards Flushing.

Q30 - Weekday Evening Schedule Changes

• Departures from Jamaica starting from 10 PM will depart up to 5 minutes earlier
  • The 9:55 PM trip from Jamaica to QCC will instead operate to Little Neck. 

Q43 Local - AM and Midday Net Reductions, WB Service West of 179th Street Halved in the PM Rush

• The 5:36 AM and 5:40 AM trips from Floral Park to Jamaica LIRR Station will be consolidated into a 5:39 AM trip. 
  • The 6:52 AM trip from Jamaica LIRR to Floral Park wiill instead originate at 179th Street at 7:06 AM.
  • Service from 9-10 AM will operate every 7 minutes instead of every 6 minutes.
  • Service between 179 Street and Jamaica LIRR station during the reverse peak direction in the PM rush will operate every 16-20 minutes instead of every 8-10 minutes.
  • An 8:22 AM trip from Jamaica-179 Street to Floral Park will be added
  • The 8:27 AM trip from Jamaica-179 Street to Floral Park will now originate at Jamaica LIRR station at 8:10 AM.
  • The 4:04 PM trip from Jamaica LIRR station to Floral Park will be discontinued.

Q43 LIMITED - Net Reduction in Service West of 179th Street

• The 7:38 AM and 7:44 AM trips from Floral Park to Jamaica LIRR Station will be truncated to terminate at 179th Street.
  • The 7:50 AM trip from Floral Park to 179th Street will be extended to Jamaica LIRR Station.
  • PM trips have been adjusted by up to 2 minutes.
  • The 5:33 PM, 5:56 PM, 6:12 PM, 6:33 PM, and 6:58 PM trips from Jamaica LIRR station to Floral Park will now originate at 179th Street at 5:52 PM, 6:13 PM, 6:33 PM, 6:54 PM, and 7:17 PM, respectively. 

Q77 - AM and Midday Reductions in Service, Extension to 145th Avenue via 225th Street

• Service now operates to 145th Avenue.
  • Buses will operate along South Conduit Ave to 225th Street, then run south to 145th Avenue, then take 145th Avenue to Springfield Boulevard
  • Some buses during the AM and PM hours on weekdays and Saturdays will continue terminating at South Conduit Avenue & 221st Street.
  • Weekday and Saturday service from Jamaica after 8 PM will not be extended to 145th Ave and will terminate at South Conduit Avenue & 221st Street.

Q88 - Elimination of Saturday Evening Trips

• The 9:00 PM trip from Queens Village to Elmhurst will be discontinued. Riders will need to use the 8:40 PM or 9:20 PM trips.
  • The 9:46 PM trip from Elmhurst to Queens will be discontinued. Riders will need to use the 9:31 PM or 10:05 PM trips. 

S46 - Slight Reduction to Teleport Service, Addition of Saturday Trip

• The 7:08 PM weekday trip from West Shore Plaza to St. George via Teleport will now depart at 7:10 PM and bypass the Teleport.
  • Riders from the Teleport will need to use the 6:57 PM or 7:27 PM trips.
  • A new 8:01 PM Saturday trip from St. George to West Shore Plaza will be added

S53 - Net Weekday Service Increases

• Brooklyn-bound service from 4:45-6 AM will operate every 6-8 minutes instead of every 10-12 minutes.
  • More frequent service will operate during midday hours.
  • Brooklyn-bound service from 7-8 PM will operate every 15 minutes instead of every 20 minutes.
  • SI-bound service from 8-9 AM will operate every 10 minutes instead of every 8-12 minutes.
  • Service during the PM rush to SI will operate every 6-8 minutes instead of every 6-10 minutes.
  • SI-bound service from 10-11 PM will operate every 20 minutes instead of every 15 minutes.

S93 LIMITED - Net Increases

• SI-bound service from 6:45 AM to 8 AM will operate every 7 minutes instead of every 8-10 minutes.
  • Brooklyn-bound service from 4:00 PM to 5:30 PM will operate every 10 minutes instead of every 12 minutes. 

50 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

Thanks so much for doing this again! Why do you think they are extending the Q77? I notice a decrease in running time, not an increase.

Buses end over there on the same side of the school (Springfield/145th rd).....

The added coverage a couple blocks east always helps, but going Springfield > Conduit > 225th > 145th (av) looks to me as not much more than a turnaround scenario & layover spot change (buses would now layover across the street from that school)...

2 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

....Also, it's clear they straight up DGAF with some of these reductions.

Setting up for what(ever) ends up transpiring with the final plan of the redesign....

2 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

Thanks so much for doing this again! Why do you think they are extending the Q77? I notice a decrease in running time, not an increase.

The Q77 used to do a u-turn around Springfield Blvd right at the school. Now that Springfield is widened, they can turn left on South Conduit, Right on 225th, right on 145th back onto Springfield. It's not an extension but a change in turn around. 

4 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Route, Schedule & Frequency Changes

• Trips will depart up to 5 minutes earlier than former times.
  • From Glenwood St (Sat Nights) Original: 10:06, 10:18, 10:30, 10:50, 11:10, 11:30, 11:54, 12:24 / NEW: 10:17, 10:19, 10:31, 10:49, 11:07, 11:10, 11:47, 12:12.
  • Adjusted trip times on Saturdays throughout the day.

Is the 10:17 supposely 10:07? To me, IMO it seems odd to have 2 artics leaving 2 mis behind with another bus in about the next 15 minutes. 

3 hours ago, Calvin said:

Is the 10:17 supposely 10:07? To me, IMO it seems odd to have 2 artics leaving 2 mis behind with another bus in about the next 15 minutes. 

Yes, I meant to put 10:07 and did not catch that mistake. The 11:07 and 11:10 trips though, are in fact in the new schedule (followed by a 37 minute gap in service). 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

8 hours ago, NY1635 said:

The Q77 used to do a u-turn around Springfield Blvd right at the school. Now that Springfield is widened, they can turn left on South Conduit, Right on 225th, right on 145th back onto Springfield. It's not an extension but a change in turn around. 

What do you mean by now that Springfield is widened?

11 hours ago, NY1635 said:

By this silly logic, buses would have MORE space to u-turn along Springfield :lol:

14 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

The Q30 and Q31 are rerouted via 153rd Street until March 2021.

https://new.mta.info/document/6451

https://new.mta.info/document/6456

I think there's a typo on the schedules. The schedule says "west bound" for the detour, but the detour is eastbound (well, technically northeast).

Edited by Uncle Floyd Fan
typo fix