City Service Proposal

N6 Limited

21 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

Has anyone seen this? There is no date on the site or document to know when it was created.

https://www.cityservice.nyc/ 

I saw it earlier today. It’s great that they identified those nine transit deserts, but not so great that at least four of them don’t have any passenger rail service running through them. One in The Bronx does have Amtrak and Emperor Cuomo has proposed running Metro-North to Penn Station on those tracks. The three in Brooklyn do have the Bay Ridge Branch running through, so the long-proposed Triboro Rx service might help there. But most of transit desert #5 in the middle of Queens is a long way off from both the Port Washington LIRR and the LIRR main line, so that should give a pretty good clue as to which corridor in Queens should get subway expansion first. 

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

On 1/16/2020 at 2:40 PM, T to Dyre Avenue said:

I saw it earlier today. It’s great that they identified those nine transit deserts, but not so great that at least four of them don’t have any passenger rail service running through them. One in The Bronx does have Amtrak and Emperor Cuomo has proposed running Metro-North to Penn Station on those tracks. The three in Brooklyn do have the Bay Ridge Branch running through, so the long-proposed Triboro Rx service might help there. But most of transit desert #5 in the middle of Queens is a long way off from both the Port Washington LIRR and the LIRR main line, so that should give a pretty good clue as to which corridor in Queens should get subway expansion first. 

What would be your preferred way of serving that?

On 1/21/2020 at 7:28 PM, T to Dyre Avenue said:

I seem to recall you posting about doing a Jewel/73rd Avenue subway line in the Proposals thread. Transit Desert #5 in their proposal is centered around Jewel/73rd, which is quite a ways off from any rail line, so I think that’s the best place to branch a line off the QBL. 

Yeah, I think I proposed a Jewel/73rd line to 188th way back when I was concerned with Forest Hills being a crap terminal.

These days, I don't really support that, given that people would just slam the QBL express the first chance they get.

I think that the best way to serve transit deserts 3 and 5, neither of which have service with an existing rail corridor, would be for a new Queens trunk line to go down 

• either 57th St in Manhattan to Northern, or 86th St to Astoria
  • at Main, swing down to have a transfer to the (7) at Flushing/Main St
  • Go down Kissena/Parsons to Jamaica Center

That hits the two uncovered transit deserts in Queens as well as providing non-Manhattan links for Queens. And such a line would be future-proofed to also have a three or four-platform configuration at Main St, with a stub pointing north from Main/Northern to connect to the Bronx.

11 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

My guess is that it's a very odd way of saying that they're going to have TVM's at every station....

Nah, it smells like the weird thing some woke people have about policies that might happen to also benefit those who are wealthy or more privileged. Like the gifted and talented programs at schools.

God forbid we make something available to everyone at a low price. Can't accidentally let rich people benefit if you have a lottery.

Edited by bobtehpanda

On 1/27/2020 at 2:18 AM, bobtehpanda said:

Yeah, I think I proposed a Jewel/73rd line to 188th way back when I was concerned with Forest Hills being a crap terminal.

These days, I don't really support that, given that people would just slam the QBL express the first chance they get.

I think that the best way to serve transit deserts 3 and 5, neither of which have service with an existing rail corridor, would be for a new Queens trunk line to go down 

• either 57th St in Manhattan to Northern, or 86th St to Astoria
  • at Main, swing down to have a transfer to the (7) at Flushing/Main St
  • Go down Kissena/Parsons to Jamaica Center

That hits the two uncovered transit deserts in Queens as well as providing non-Manhattan links for Queens. And such a line would be future-proofed to also have a three or four-platform configuration at Main St, with a stub pointing north from Main/Northern to connect to the Bronx.

Agreed that riders would slam the QBL express the first chance they get. But that’s going to be the case with just about any proposed line that branches off the QB local tracks. A Northern/Kissena line sounds like a pretty good way of relieving the (7)<7>, while serving intra-Queens riders. Would certainly be a faster way between Flushing and Jamaica than the current bus routes.