April 2020 bus changes: B1 conversion to articulated buses

Union Tpke

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Possibly move to Flatbush or Gleason for the B1. Ulmer Park is NOT retrofitted for artics. (At the least I know). But damm, why the B1 for artics? 

Probably for the Kingsbridge traffic. What I don’t understand and see is where is these artics are going to come from? The rest of the XD60S from the Bronx? The MTA batch? Owhen MJQ gets their XE60S to transfer 15 of the other XD60s to that route? 

This will be interesting, as there will have to be some sort of depot swap as well. Not only that, but interesting how the MTA is actually increasing B1 service on Sundays instead of decreasing it. We shall see how it plays on the actual schedule when the time comes. 

Also, Q58 reductions are just insane from the AM rush. I'm more inclined to believe that people are being instructed to get in through the back, because those buses get slammed. and do bypass people. It's gonna be just like the Q29 reduction in service years ago (which had buses bypassing a greater amount of people than it used to - basically, if you were north of Juniper Valley Park, good luck catching a bus to the subway). 

6 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

Probably for the Kingsbridge traffic. What I don’t understand and see is where is these artics are going to come from? The rest of the XD60S from the Bronx? The MTA batch? Owhen MJQ gets their XE60S to transfer 15 of the other XD60s to that route? 

You're asking the wrong questions.

The first question is which depots will be operating the B1....because it sure as hell won't be Ulmer Park!

There's a possibility of the line being sent entirely to one depot, split between Flatbush and JG, which there wouldn't be such a need for more spares if they split it.

1 minute ago, Future ENY OP said:

That is correct. Now it’s just finding a home for them. Unless Ulmer gets rehabbed. Kiss the B1 good-bye at UP by 4/2020. 

Until something happens, that is all speculation, so yeah, it's not "correct" as of yet....

"Weekday and Saturday frequencies will be somewhat reduced, but customers on average will not have to wait more than one additional minute for a bus."

Yeah, sure they won't.....

3 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Possibly move to Flatbush or Gleason for the B1. Ulmer Park is NOT retrofitted for artics. (At the least I know).

But damm, why the B1 for artics?

KCC students & it was only a matter of time.....

54 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Yeah, sure they won't.....

I can only hope that it'll actually be at least somewhat better in spite of the conversion. After all, Ulmer Park isn't exactly given high marks for how the buses and routes are handled...

19 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

The B1 has a hard time as it is going underneath the el, at least from when I rode it, and now they want to add artics??

Clearance won't be an issue, if that's what you're hinting towards....

It's enough that we as riders have to deal with this agency's incompetence... Negligence however, would be a whole 'nother ballgame....

21 minutes ago, Lex said:

I can only hope that it'll actually be at least somewhat better in spite of the conversion. After all, Ulmer Park isn't exactly given high marks for how the buses and routes are handled...

Right, but at the same time, don't tell me that you're cutting service by just a little bit, to try to soften the blow that much more by telling me that my average wait for a bus won't be longer than a minute..... Kicking me in the balls & then offering me gauze isn't going to be of much help when I'm "riding" on the floor in pain....

Edited by B35 via Church

36 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Right, but at the same time, don't tell me that you're cutting service by just a little bit, to try to soften the blow that much more by telling me that my average wait for a bus won't be longer than a minute..... Kicking me in the balls & then offering me gauze isn't going to be of much help when I'm "riding" on the floor in pain....

Now that you say this, I can't help but wonder if these would've been similar to whatever we would've seen without the conversion. Considering it's the MTA...

We may not jump to conclusions, I had wished the B6 for artics first(like how I explained it in my Ulmer Park Depot review on YT). So because UP is not constructionally ready for artics, some people may say that we should decrease the express bus fleet and the routes. Would that be a good idea ? I never think that. Even UP has the same building design structure as Flatbush Depot. I never ride the B1 before, but seeing the buses running myself. How about we put this route dispatching out of Flatbush Depot, if FB still has too much artics like today. And if out of Gleason, the XN60s may wanna do rooftop clearance test because the B1 has few elevated lines/expressways to pass under, before their CNG tanks triggers on fire(maybe depending on how low they are). And JG want 100% CNG bus fleet so, FB can maybe the chosen one.

3 hours ago, Xcelsior Man said:

We may not jump to conclusions, I had wished the B6 for artics first(like how I explained it in my Ulmer Park Depot review on YT). So because UP is not constructionally ready for artics, some people may say that we should decrease the express bus fleet and the routes. Would that be a good idea ? I never think that. Even UP has the same building design structure as Flatbush Depot. I never ride the B1 before, but seeing the buses running myself. How about we put this route dispatching out of Flatbush Depot, if FB still has too much artics like today. And if out of Gleason, the XN60s may wanna do rooftop clearance test because the B1 has few elevated lines/expressways to pass under, before their CNG tanks triggers on fire(maybe depending on how low they are). And JG want 100% CNG bus fleet so, FB can maybe the chosen one.

I hope you're aware that our XN40s already travel below the Q on Brighton Beach Boulevard by means of the B68...

4 hours ago, Xcelsior Man said:

And if out of Gleason, the XN60s may wanna do rooftop clearance test because the B1 has few elevated lines/expressways to pass under, before their CNG tanks triggers on fire(maybe depending on how low they are). And JG want 100% CNG bus fleet so, FB can maybe the chosen one.

XN40s have already made revenue runs on the B1 so that's not an issue.