April 2020 bus changes: B1 conversion to articulated buses

Union Tpke

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I would've preferred a Limited over articulated buses, but whatever it's a start. 

Service is gonna be SHITTY, because its already HORRIBLE, now imagine the cuts with the addition of these buses. Glad I don't take that route on a regular anymore. 

Unless I'm reading the wrong thing, the cuts for the B1 in the Spring is by 2 minutes.

11 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Unless I'm reading the wrong thing, the cuts for the B1 in the Spring is by 2 minutes.

That's a lot. Those buses that start by Ulmer Park are full by Ocean Pkwy, plus you have another bus coming from Bay Ridge. Everything is sardine packed and thats two buses, people tend to wait for the next, and its an overlapping issue for each bus. Now artics, with only front door boarding, means longer boarding times, people not moving to the back, and a waste of space. 

The answer for solving B1 issues is having a limited varient since most people are going to the same location. And these stops cannot hold two artic buses meaning drivers will wait before the light, which results in twice the waiting time, and twice the delays. 

I'm all for articulated buses but this is just dumb. And watch the traffic jams with buses turning onto 5th from 86st. Or having to turn onto 87st. 

Edit: This is someone who's done the commute for years. I know that area so well. 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

7 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

That's a lot. Those buses that start by Ulmer Park are full by Ocean Pkwy, plus you have another bus coming from Bay Ridge. Everything is sardine packed and thats two buses, people tend to wait for the next, and its an overlapping issue for each bus. Now artics, with only front door boarding, means longer boarding times, people not moving to the back, and a waste of space. 

The answer for solving B1 issues is having a limited varient since most people are going to the same location. And these stops cannot hold two artic buses meaning drivers will wait before the light, which results in twice the waiting time, and twice the delays. 

I'm all for articulated buses but this is just dumb. And watch the traffic jams with buses turning onto 5th from 86st. Or having to turn onto 87st. 

Edit: This is someone who's done the commute for years. I know that area so well. 

I think having a Limited version would piss off more people than help, if the buses get as crowded as you say they do. A limited version would mean cuts to the local by default, and I'm pretty sure folks out there would be up in arms about that, especially if their stops will be passed up.

As for the stops, they'll most likely readjust the stops to accommodate the artics like they always do. As for the ones under the EL, a majority of the stops are before the traffic signals if I recall, so they can just have a second bus stop right behind the first one.

32 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

I think having a Limited version would piss off more people than help, if the buses get as crowded as you say they do. A limited version would mean cuts to the local by default, and I'm pretty sure folks out there would be up in arms about that, especially if their stops will be passed up.

As for the stops, they'll most likely readjust the stops to accommodate the artics like they always do. As for the ones under the EL, a majority of the stops are before the traffic signals if I recall, so they can just have a second bus stop right behind the first one.

The B1 gets most of its usage during rush hour, so having artics any other time and running local is fine: long as stops are accounted for, and the traffic congestion for the stop at 5th and 86st is enforced, and the turn onto 87st from 5th and the layover space is modified (they honestly need to remove parking on that entire block tbh). 

But rush hour...there needs to be some type of rush hour limited with the school rush. From Ave U to Kingsborough and vice versa, buses need to run limited starting at Ave U and stopping at 86 St (N), McDonald (F), Ocean Pkwy and West Ave (easy transfer) (B4, B36), Brighton and Ocean (Q) , Brighton and Coney Island Ave (B)(Q), and Kingsborough. @Around the Horn I know you agree with me on this. 

AM To Kingsborough: Buses that start at Ave U run LOCAL, buses that start under the (B)(Q) run LIMITED. Buses that start in Bay Ridge run LIMITED after Ave U.

PM from Kingsborough: Buses running to Bay Ridge run NON STOP to Coney Island hospital, and LIMITED to Ave U. Buses running to Ave U run LOCAL. Buses running to Ocean Pkwy run LIMITED. 

They need a rush hour service pattern like that. Sorry for going off topic but I hope higher ups here can take notes, spread the word and probably do something down the line. 

People waiting an extra minute isnt gonna kill folks. It’s not like they’re going to have people out there waiting like sitting ducks, mind you there’s a lot more bus routes within BK that have crappy wait times and they’re standard buses. They have to accommodate people for KBCC and those who travel to bay ridge. Having tons on top of tons of standard buses is most likely going to put a strain on UP since the B6 is a heavy used route. The only logical solution it seems was to turn the B1 into artics while still having the B6 at UP. Turning the B6 into artics would have been disastrous Because the line hasn’t been really studied yet and there really isn’t any sort of supply for it to have artics yet. I would assume in the Brooklyn bus redesign they will do something with the B6 in future. 

Now if FB gets the B1 it would most likely help push out some standards to other depots. But something in me says they’re gonna have to give up a route to UP (just my speculation) I would presume the B49 would move to UP in exchange for the B1. If JG gets it I would presume one of its routes would go to UP to make up for the lose if the route. 

4 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

People waiting an extra minute isnt gonna kill folks. It’s not like they’re going to have people out there waiting like sitting ducks, mind you there’s a lot more bus routes within BK that have crappy wait times and they’re standard buses. They have to accommodate people for KBCC and those who travel to bay ridge. Having tons on top of tons of standard buses is most likely going to put a strain on UP since the B6 is a heavy used route. The only logical solution it seems was to turn the B1 into artics while still having the B6 at UP. Turning the B6 into artics would have been disastrous Because the line hasn’t been really studied yet and there really isn’t any sort of supply for it to have artics yet. I would assume in the Brooklyn bus redesign they will do something with the B6 in future. 

Now if FB gets the B1 it would most likely help push out some standards to other depots. But something in me says they’re gonna have to give up a route to UP (just my speculation) I would presume the B49 would move to UP in exchange for the B1. If JG gets it I would presume one of its routes would go to UP to make up for the lose if the route. 

That's how it's going to have to work, they can't take a route and not give one back.

My guess would be the B2, B31 and B49 IF that becomes the case. If they split it with JG, I would've said the B4, but the union at JG threw a fit when they wanted to give that route to Ulmer Park a few years back.

Edited by Cait Sith

3 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

My question is if Ulmer Park gets Flatbush's remaining 40 foot routes in exchange for the B1, would they dare send the Next Gens over?

Most likely not, no point when there's a bunch of 2015 and 2018 XD40s at Flatbush.

Where are local scheme artics coming from? How many buses will JG need for the B35 SBS? 

3 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Most likely not, no point when there's a bunch of 2015 and 2018 XD40s at Flatbush.

Where are local scheme artics coming from? How many buses will JG need for the B35 SBS? 

At this rate, the scheme doesn't matter, now that they are phasing out the SBS scheme as a whole.

I feel that the B/1 going artic will be a straight swap with the B/9 going back to Ulmer Park.

As far gaoing to Flatbush, I am thinking that it could be possibly in the future but not now as if the garage is to be converted to artics, it will have to wait until the B/41 and B/49 are converted.  It will also have to wait until the Brooklyn routesare redesigned.

18 minutes ago, Interested Rider said:

I feel that the B/1 going artic will be a straight swap with the B/9 going back to Ulmer Park.

As far gaoing to Flatbush, I am thinking that it could be possibly in the future but not now as if the garage is to be converted to artics, it will have to wait until the B/41 and B/49 are converted.  It will also have to wait until the Brooklyn routesare redesigned.

I think someone who works at FB says there's discussions on FB being all artic because they have two routes that are short and would use standards. If anything I could see the B49 going to UP and at some point within the next 10 years FB will be all artic just like Tuskegee Airmen depot with the exception of two standard routes. FB deal with heavy routes within the borough already and they often are very crowded during rush hour too. 

1 hour ago, Cait Sith said:

That's how it's going to have to work, they can't take a route and not give one back.

My guess would be the B2, B31 and B49 IF that becomes the case. If they split it with JG, I would've said the B4, but the union at JG threw a fit when they wanted to give that route to Ulmer Park a few years back.

Once a upon of time the B4 was an original Ulmer Park route before shifting over to Gleason. Although Gleason and Ulmer Park routes tend to intersect. The B4 back to Ulmer isn’t a bad idea on paper. However, realistically it won’t happen as you stated. 

I forgot about the B/68 as it now runs from the Stillwell terminal, not West 5th Street. Shared facilities at the terminal.

Everyone is mentioning KCC but during the summer the B/1 had the extra Manhattan Beach runs from 25th Avenue. Could this be a reason (besides KCC) that artics are being placed on the line?

The B/9 had school runs running out of UP. This also could be a factor in the route possibly going to UP. 

26 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

All of my life unfortunately, and these problems are chronic. One accident underneath the elevated can cause the whole line to become delayed easily.

Great, so why use those arguments?

Hell, remove the elevated line and you've removed the only real difference between 86th Street and, say, Nostrand Avenue.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

All of my life unfortunately, and these problems are chronic. One accident underneath the elevated can cause the whole line to become delayed easily.

I'll give you Broadway/231st Street, but Fordham and all the farebeaters customers going to and from there gives the Bx9 problems also.

5 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

Just out of curiosity, for the KBCC rush, do students storm the buses (w/o paying fare)? 

No, they're just like regular passengers, just a lot of them. If it was a high school complex then that's a different story. 

Buses take forever to board at KB, all door boarding will help that. 

On 1/17/2020 at 7:38 PM, Lawrence St said:

The B1 has a hard time as it is going underneath the el, at least from when I rode it, and now they want to add artics??

6 hours ago, Lawrence St said:
7 hours ago, paulrivera said:

Artics under els aren't unprecedented...

Yeah but traffic can be a major issue underneath the elevated, double parked cars, etc.

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:
5 hours ago, Lex said:

Hi. Have you taken the Bx9?

Alright, but what exactly is your argument? You're moving the goalpost - first it was about artics on the B1 & now it's about buses operating under el's in general....

4 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

No, they're just like regular passengers, just a lot of them. If it was a high school complex then that's a different story. 

Buses take forever to board at KB, all door farebeating will help that. 

fixed that for ya....  Jeremiah99 or w/e the hell his name is, can tell you all about that....