April 2020 bus changes: B1 conversion to articulated buses

Union Tpke

Just now, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

OMG Kingsbridge is horrible... I have some of their buses in badddd shape... That’s another issue. You have some depots with really crappy maintenance and believe me word gets out. The depots with better maintenance have to clean up the slack. Hell we have been sent some express buses from Spring Creek that are garbage. Yonkers Depot does a great job overall for a small depot. Most things are reported and fixed ASAP, but every depot is different.

yes, Yonkers has always amazed me, to be honest. another yard that could have a few things go wrong and be in dire straits, but has miraculously survived while keeping their fleet intact? Baisley Park. in exception of borrowing 3 staten island NG's one summer, they've also kept their buses tip-top (at least the OG's anyway) 

imo there are certainly yards that operate at dangerous levels with horribly low spare counts... and it's usually the larger yards this phenomenon occurs at. it saddens me that people believe that all mechanics or all bus maintainers are built the same. unfortunately, when dealing with the human element, anything is possible. there are some out and out lazy ass bus maintainers (cleaners) B/O's know who they are, especially if you shift or work a drill pick. and as far as mechanics go... it's like anything else. the mechanics at Meineke may be decent at all aspects, but there are some shops that specialize in transmissions or brakes, etc. I've always looked at depots like FB, UP or QV as the type of shops that know exactly what needs doing to keep their fleets on the road... and they execute. a yard like east ny specializes in engine, brake & transmission work, in my humble opinion. and they're arguably the best in the system. all in all, it's about individuals, mechanics or cleaners being able to work as a cohesive unit

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

yes, Yonkers has always amazed me, to be honest. another yard that could have a few things go wrong and be in dire straits, but has miraculously survived while keeping their fleet intact? Baisley Park. in exception of borrowing 3 staten island NG's one summer, they've also kept their buses tip-top (at least the OG's anyway) 

imo there are certainly yards that operate at dangerous levels with horribly low spare counts... and it's usually the larger yards this phenomenon occurs at. it saddens me that people believe that all mechanics or all bus maintainers are built the same. unfortunately, when dealing with the human element, anything is possible. there are some out and out lazy ass bus maintainers (cleaners) B/O's know who they are, especially if you shift or work a drill pick. and as far as mechanics go... it's like anything else. the mechanics at Meineke may be decent at all aspects, but there are some shops that specialize in transmissions or brakes, etc. I've always looked at depots like FB, UP or QV as the type of shops that know exactly what needs doing to keep their fleets on the road... and they execute. a yard like east ny specializes in engine, brake & transmission work, in my humble opinion. and they're arguably the best in the system. all in all, it's about individuals, mechanics or cleaners being able to work as a cohesive unit

OMG... Baisley Park... Let me tell you... Someone showed me photos of that depot using hybrids on the QM4. I almost hit the roof! I made a phone call and showed someone the picture. They made a phone call and got a few MCIs transferred there. There have been no hybrids on the QM4 since then. lol That said, they operate with very few express bus spares. Unfortunately they no longer have the QM4 now. Just the QM21, so they have even less spares now. The same buses are out almost every weekday on the QM21. We got one of their buses a few years ago. 3361 I believe... I got it on the BxM1. I was like what... is... this? They don’t clean or do anything. 

I have seen some crazy stuff from passengers and otherwise. This was from a passenger on the X27 when I first started my advocacy group: 

43178737_10155884342037014_2075498557304

This same bus went right back into service some weeks later, still with the same problem. Smh

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

On 1/17/2020 at 2:26 PM, Future ENY OP said:

Possibly move to Flatbush or Gleason for the B1. Ulmer Park is NOT retrofitted for artics. (At the least I know). But damm, why the B1 for artics? 

If the depot is moved, they need to factor in the cost of the extra non-revenue mileage per year when determining the costs.

7 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

Maybe since the Bronx redesign is happening some artic routes is going to go back to being standards? Just my theory. 

That aint happening for another year.

8 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Yeah once buses weren't getting delivered in sequence with depots having a certain consecutive batch, I knew the DOB was full of ish and incompetent. 

What if the B3, B64 and B74 end up going to JG or FB? Would that free up the depot and routes without putting to much strain on another depot? 

I can definitely see the rest of the BX 4700s going to Ulmer. My thing is, there's depots with excessive artic buses (FB should send those LFSAs to the Bronx) they really don't need them. I just pased Flatbush around 5:30 and there's like 7-8 XD60s in the depot that are visible from a quick drive by...even with both routes already articulated and its rush hour. CS also has extra XD60s, they only need 5987-6029. I also don't think WF needs all those artics too. Also Quill and JFK are waiting for a few more buses so that'll free up. There's definitely enough buses some buses just have an excessive spare factor. If maintenance did their job perfectly all around the system they wouldn't need so many spare buses. 

1. Those XD60s you saw at Flatbush either had an early pull-in or is awaiting maintenance(likely the former).

2. The reason Stengel kept those extra XD60s was for an increase in service on the Q44, as well as a spare factor for the Q12(6000s have shown up on the Q12).

3.The Bx19 alone uses a large chunk of those articulated buses at West Farms. Factor in the Bx35, Bx36(which also uses a large chunk of artics) and Bx39, you have A LOT of them out on the road at West Farms. Plucking from them would not be a good idea, as their artic routes get really, really bad when they run 40fters on those routes.

Fun fact, West Farms is also the depots with the most drivers in the entire system.

Edited by Cait Sith

5 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Yeah once buses weren't getting delivered in sequence with depots having a certain consecutive batch, I knew the DOB was full of ish and incompetent.

That's on the manufacturer not DOB. DOB can only assign what fleet numbers that the manufacturer has delivered.

2 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

That's on the manufacturer not DOB. DOB can only assign what fleet numbers that the manufacturer has delivered.

^This. I would've thought people figured this out by now. Buses have been delivered to depots out of numerical order since 5987-6125, some of the 5700s, 5800s and 5900s were also delivered out of order.

For example, Quill has 4950-4952, 4954 and 4955. 4953, 4956-4964 are still awaiting delivery. LGA is still waiting for 6264 and 6274, and JFK is still waiting for 6237.

Edited by Cait Sith

2 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

^This. I would've thought people figured this out by now. Buses have been delivered to depots out of numerical order since 5987-6125, some of the 5700s, 5800s and 5900s were also delivered out of order.

For example, Quill has 4950-4952, 4954 and 4955. 4953, 4956-4964 are still awaiting delivery. LGA is still waiting for 6264 and 6274, and JFK is still waiting for 6237.

If no one says how is one supposed to tell? 

I'm not talking about orders like the XE60s, obviously the bus will set sent when it's ready. 

Remember 5987-6125? Odd first and then even. Remember the 2015 LFS? How 8200s came in before 8100s? 

Even thIs 2019-2020 XD60 order. Shitt is all over the place for no reason. 

14 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

If no one says how is one supposed to tell? 

I'm not talking about orders like the XE60s, obviously the bus will set sent when it's ready. 

Remember 5987-6125? Odd first and then even. Remember the 2015 LFS? How 8200s came in before 8100s? 

Even thIs 2019-2020 XD60 order. Shitt is all over the place for no reason. 

If anyone has paid any attention to the moves/transfers thread for deliveries and how buses were being delivered to both the vendors and the depots, the answer should've been right there.

Just because they were delivered out of order doesn't mean the buses currently at the depots are not in that order either. You're slightly overexaggerating that point.

Numerically, the 2019-2020s are in order at both depots, just a few missing from JFK and LGA.

6126-6233 came out of order(kind of), but to a certain degree are in some kind of order at each depot. MCH and Quill are swapping buses for OMNY installation.

7484-7850 arrived out of order, but are technically in some type of order at the depots.

The 8090-8503 batch of Novas as you mentioned came out of order, but the large majority at the depots in the boroughs they are in are in numerical order.

The only real set of buses from 2017 and up that are completely out of order at depots is the 5987-6125 batch. Stengel is basically the only depot with a solid numerical batch, with some extras.

I'm not sure why this is a big deal to begin with. The average customer wouldn't care anyway about numbers unless they're reporting bus drivers over nonsense.

Edited by Cait Sith

15 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

AMEN. i added onto my previous post, where I'm inquiring into the "sudden urgency" for this to manifest itself... over any other line in UP or bk period, the B1 tho? as you stated, where are will these artics materialize from? also, as stated, that building is already packed sardine can airtight on a good day, how many more buses will utilize street/curbside parking in that area? people swore up & down that Flatbush with artics would be a blight on the community... artics at Ulmer Park? with Prevosts? i guess cropsey will be a parking lot from 26 Avenue on

Lol It’s already a mess as it is with buses all over the street around there. That’s another depot that needs to be rehabbed. I don’t think it’s been touched in who knows how long.

@Via Garibaldi 8 Speaking of Kingsbridge...

2012 New Flyer XD60 4744 - Bx39 To Clason Point

Honestly, if these remaining 4700's end up going to Ulmer or Flatbush. I wonder if those Bus Cleaners, Mechanics, Maintainers, etc even know what in Hell is coming towards them... 😆

eTaaAqd3cbQkb292bNA8zxNwnWTB6cHNhJiq4ZlBfNrc-OMK4Mhuvz_iuWCWw3cIpAegigE9RhAHnVNX

I've also documented much more with panels of some XD60's nearly falling off, oil leakages by the Equipment Cabinet, Missing lights, Torn up and ripped up floors, Extremely dirty and disgusting buses, vandalized buses, and you can simply imagine the list at this point...

5 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

Honestly, if these remaining 4700's end up going to Ulmer or Flatbush. I wonder if those Bus Cleaners, Mechanics, Maintainers, etc even know what in Hell is coming towards them... 😆

eTaaAqd3cbQkb292bNA8zxNwnWTB6cHNhJiq4ZlBfNrc-OMK4Mhuvz_iuWCWw3cIpAegigE9RhAHnVNX

I've also documented much more with panels of some XD60's nearly falling off, oil leakages by the Equipment Cabinet, Missing lights, Torn up and ripped up floors, Extremely dirty and disgusting buses, vandalized buses, and you can simply imagine the list at this point...

Their buses go through some of the least savory areas, which is one problem. Second they are heavily used, and third, it seems maintenance likes to mess around. I used to see all of their 40 footer buses with the "New York City Transit" changed to "New or CIty Transit". Clearly someone thought that was funny. I guess that's what they waste their time on as opposed to maintaining the buses.

11 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Their buses go through some of the least savory areas, which is one problem. Second they are heavily used, and third, it seems maintenance likes to mess around. I used to see all of their 40 footer buses with the "New York City Transit" changed to "New or CIty Transit". Clearly someone thought that was funny. I guess that's what they waste their time on as opposed to maintaining the buses.

Kingsbridge was terrible at running the Bx39. The route was so unreliable I was late almost every day to wherever I needed to go and honestly it wasn't a viable option anymore. I don't even recall Gun Hill having those problems when they had the Bx39, You had missing runs, extremely late buses, and per occasion severe Bus Bunching. Just recently on Sunday West Farms Depot took over the Bx39 - West Farms surrendered the Bx15 LTD, Weekend/Overnight to Kingsbridge, and I've been riding the Bx39 since Sunday and the route is much more frequent now and reliable, besides the extra put-ins they've added from Parkchester.

Edited by WestFarms36

Just now, WestFarms36 said:

Kingsbridge was terrible at running the Bx39. The route was so unreliable I was late almost every day to wherever I needed to go and honestly it wasn't a viable option anymore. You had missing runs, extremely late buses, and per occasion severe Bus Bunching. Just recently on Sunday West Farms Depot took over the Bx39 - West Farms surrendered the Bx15 LTD, Weekend/Overnight to Kingsbridge, and I've been riding the Bx39 since Sunday and the route is much more frequent now and reliable, besides the extra put-ins they've added from Parkchester.

On occasion I would take the Bx1 to 231st and Broadway if I needed a Metrocard, and yeah, there are definitely missing trips. I also have taken the (4) train a handful of times over the years when I was in the South Bronx, thinking it would be quicker than taking the express bus back into the City to transfer, and boy was I wrong. Once you get off at Mosholu Parkway, the Bx1 is hit or miss, and I prefer that over the slow Bx10 with those smaller buses.  Never again... None of the local buses are good... Bx1, Bx7, Bx10... So many complaints in my neighborhood. They put a dispatcher down at 231st and Broadway. Service still stinks. When I have to be places like Inwood or Hudson Heights, I just opt for an Uber home, as was the case last night. 10 minutes versus almost an hour by the time I take the (A) train a few stops, then wait 20+ minutes for the Bx7 and crawl along Broadway and finally make it up the hills to Riverdale. They really need artics because the buses come all bunched and packed together, and with the (1) train dumping loads of people at 231st and Broadway, the buses are always packed.

3 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

On occasion I would take the Bx1 to 231st and Broadway if I needed a Metrocard, and yeah, there are definitely missing trips. I also have taken the (4) train a handful of times over the years when I was in the South Bronx, thinking it would be quicker than taking the express bus back into the City to transfer, and boy was I wrong. Once you get off at Mosholu Parkway, the Bx1 is hit or miss, and I prefer that over the slow Bx10 with those smaller buses.  Never again... None of the local buses are good... Bx1, Bx7, Bx10... So many complaints in my neighborhood. They put a dispatcher down at 231st and Broadway. Service still stinks. When I have to be places like Inwood or Hudson Heights, I just opt for an Uber home, as was the case last night. 10 minutes versus almost an hour by the time I take the (A) train a few stops, then wait 20+ minutes for the Bx7 and crawl along Broadway and finally make it up the hills to Riverdale. They really need artics because the buses come all bunched and packed together, and with the (1) train dumping loads of people at 231st and Broadway, the buses are always packed.

I recall once back in 2014 they were testing Artics out on the Bx3, and Bx7 for a possibility of Articulation, I think they never met the guidelines to warrant them, but I'm not surprised if those two routes end up being future contenders for Articulation, seeing the pace that DOB has been going with Articulation. Also the Dispatchers at Kingsbridge simply suck. Honestly I don't even think the Bx39 has seen a dispatcher, save for rarities when shit really goes bad on the route, but yeah forget about it.

Edited by WestFarms36

2 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

I recall once back in 2014 they were testing Artics out on the Bx3, and Bx7 for a possibility of Articulation, I think they never met the guidelines to warrant them, but I'm not surprised if those two routes end up being future contenders for Articulation, seeing the pace that DOB has been going with Articulation. Also the Dispatchers at Kingsbridge simply suck. Honestly I don't even think the Bx39 has seen a dispatcher, save for rarities when shit really goes bad on the route, but yeah forget about it.

For a while I needed the BxM3 along Sedgwick on Sundays. Waiting there, the Bx3s always arrived in twos.  That's the thing. There isn't a time when buses aren't bunched out of that depot. Sometimes I get to see the buses when I wait for the express bus or the Metro-North shuttle bus. They pass by my stop because the buses are so packed that they can't pick-up any more. Crazy. In the redesign at the workshop I attended, several of us agreed that the Bx1 should be extended up to 246th and Henry Hudson Parkway. That would alleviate some of the load off of the Bx7.

17 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I know what you mean about the Bx7...Yes i agree they need artics...Just last week the driver couldnt pick up ppl for a few stop cause it was so packed along Bway...And i boarded at 207st to just 230st

Edited by biGC323232

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

For a while I needed the BxM3 along Sedgwick on Sundays. Waiting there, the Bx3s always arrived in twos.  That's the thing. There isn't a time when buses aren't bunched out of that depot. Sometimes I get to see the buses when I wait for the express bus or the Metro-North shuttle bus. They pass by my stop because the buses are so packed that they can't pick-up any more. Crazy. In the redesign at the workshop I attended, several of us agreed that the Bx1 should be extended up to 246th and Henry Hudson Parkway. That would alleviate some of the load off of the Bx7.

Agreed. Bx1 to 246th would be a good alleviation. The problem is that it's not worth the hassle if the route is originating from a depot that doesn't give a flying f*ck about Service. Many of the planners and Officials talk about redesigning the network for a "world class bus system" but in reality, how is missing buses, severe bunching, and buses with open Engine Compartments, duct tape holding heavy panels, and Buses full of roaches and rumors of Bed Bugs supposed to be all worth $2.75. Enough is paid by us Taxpayers and the Transit Rider that at this point these things are inexcusable. It won't be too long until someone makes a Local Bus Advocacy Group with the way things are going...

7 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

Agreed. Bx1 to 246th would be a good alleviation. The problem is that it's not worth the hassle if the route is originating from a depot that doesn't give a flying f*ck about Service. Many of the planners and Officials talk about redesigning the network for a "world class bus system" but in reality, how is missing buses, severe bunching, and buses with open Engine Compartments, duct tape holding heavy panels, and Buses full of roaches and rumors of Bed Bugs supposed to be all worth $2.75. Enough is paid by us Taxpayers and the Transit Rider that at this point these things are inexcusable. It won't be too long until someone makes a Local Bus Advocacy Group with the way things are going...

I have come to learn that it all depends on who is managing things. Like with every place, some people DO care and try hard. I speak with some people on the inside regularly (people in management, as well as some bus drivers from a few depots) who really care about the passengers, and others... The problem with the (MTA) is everything is very "compartmentalized".  If you're in one position in one department, you don't go making waves elsewhere.  I saw this when I interned for them for a few summers in one of their offices as well.  If you come in, keep your mouth shut and do whatever it is you're supposed to do, you can work there for many years and even be promoted and retire.  I was talking with someone about the situation out on Staten Island. They said things will never change out there unless there's a big shake up with management, and it's true.  The only way that Kingsbridge and some of the other depots would improve is if some heads rolled. The (MTA) has been cleaning house here and there, and there have been some improvements believe it or not. Takes a long time in some cases though.

41 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

.... This is totally disrespectful. I would hope that Ulmer Park or Flatbush don’t receive any of these buses. Sheesh, send the worse performing buses to the scrap yard. This is no way to run service with panels coming off, interior in shambles and etc.  Out of the 3 depots in The Bronx. West Farms does a good job in maintaining their buses. 

I really hope that (MTA) brass could clean house at Gun Hill and Kingsbridge. There should be no reason that Brooklyn Division or any other division in the system should endure mal maintenance of buses. 

7 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

.... This is totally disrespectful. I would hope that Ulmer Park or Flatbush don’t receive any of these buses. Sheesh, send the worse performing buses to the scrap yard. This is no way to run service with panels coming off, interior in shambles and etc.  Out of the 3 depots in The Bronx. West Farms does a good job in maintaining their buses. 

I really hope that (MTA) brass could clean house at Gun Hill and Kingsbridge. There should be no reason that Brooklyn Division or any other division in the system should endure mal maintenance of buses. 

Those buses are garbage though, but that doesn't excuse them sending out like that.  I think Gun Hill just has some of the busiest lines like the Bx12 and they run the buses into the ground, then send them elsewhere, including Kingsbridge. I will say this... One way to get changes done is to complain to the big wigs. Go to the board meetings and make a stink. That usually gets some results, since those board meetings have media there as well. The board members also get to see how many official complaints come in. If there's a huge spike, then questions start coming up. Yesterday, one board member asked Craig Cipriano about the "442% increase" on some Brooklyn bus lines. He said he had to get back him.  LMAO.

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Those buses are garbage though, but that doesn't excuse them sending out like that.  I think Gun Hill just has some of the busiest lines like the Bx12 and they run the buses into the ground, then send them elsewhere, including Kingsbridge.

Gun Hill may have its Maintenance flaws, but they've always been on point with service, I can give them credit on that. They've never played themselves when it comes to Bus Service and running their Routes. Gun Hill does an excellent Job at providing and maintaining service, plus in the case of Gun Hill I notice they have problems maintaining their Artics, because as for their 40 Footers they are in decent shape. @Via Garibaldi 8@Future ENY OP

35 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

Gun Hill may have its Maintenance flaws, but they've always been on point with service, I can give them credit on that. They've never played themselves when it comes to Bus Service and running their Routes. Gun Hill does an excellent Job at providing and maintaining service, plus in the case of Gun Hill I notice they have problems maintaining their Artics, because as for their 40 Footers they are in decent shape. @Via Garibaldi 8@Future ENY OP

Yeah from what I've seen from the outside, the buses look ok. The artics though... That's another matter. lol

11 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah from what I've seen from the outside, the buses look ok. The artics though... That's another manner. lol

Yeah, there are times that I report Buses that are Extremely dirty (spills, and stuff of that nature) and the reply I get is them simply stating how that is so odd and how the Buses are cleaned daily. Honestly there is no way in living Hell that 200+ Buses can be cleaned daily, consider the time it takes cleaning one. I think the only depot that can pull that off is Yonkers Depot, as for the others? Hell No. It takes WEEKS for a depot to update labels on their entire fleet, you're blatantly lying to customers about Buses being cleaned daily? Like they must have the Incredibles' doing the cleaning apparently..

Edited by WestFarms36

19 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

Yeah, there are times that I report Buses that are Extremely dirty (spills, and stuff of that nature) and the reply I get is them simply stating how that is so odd and how the Buses are cleaned daily. Honestly there is no way in living Hell that 200+ Buses can be cleaned daily, consider the time it takes cleaning one. I think the only depot that can pull that off is Yonkers Depot, as for the others? Hell No. It takes WEEKS for a depot to update labels on their entire fleet, you're blatantly lying to customers about Buses being cleaned daily? Like they must have the Incredibles' doing the cleaning apparently..

At smaller depots like Yonkers, they actually have some B/Os that help with cleaning them and mopping them. They dry the buses on the outside by hand, but they also only have ~80 express buses, so it's a very small depot and no overnight service.

28 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Those buses are garbage though, but that doesn't excuse them sending out like that.  I think Gun Hill just has some of the busiest lines like the Bx12 and they run the buses into the ground, then send them elsewhere, including Kingsbridge. I will say this... One way to get changes done is to complain to the big wigs. Go to the board meetings and make a stink. That usually gets some results, since those board meetings have media there as well. The board members also get to see how many official complaints come in. If there's a huge spike, then questions start coming up. Yesterday, one board member asked Craig Cipriano about the "442% increase" on some Brooklyn bus lines. He said he had to get back him.  LMAO.

(😂😂😂. Spills coffee ️ all over my desk). Of course that’s what Mr. Cirprano would say. This is the same guy that wants to cut service on a top 10 bus line in the city and it’s in Brooklyn. I will reserve that comment for another day. 

Yes, I’m in full agreement with you in regards to Gun Hill busiest lines. However, no excuse to send out horrible buses that can’t be maintained properly.