April 2020 bus changes: B1 conversion to articulated buses

Union Tpke

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

For artic training as well. The XD60s and XN60s aren't that much different.

when you train operators or anyone who has never operated an artic, the bus model technically does not matter, seeing as that's not the main focus of the training. it's about getting acclimated to the length, width & weight of the bus, traffic spacing, etc. 

On 3/6/2020 at 2:48 PM, EastFlatbushLarry said:

when you train operators or anyone who has never operated an artic, the bus model technically does not matter, seeing as that's not the main focus of the training. it's about getting acclimated to the length, width & weight of the bus, traffic spacing, etc. 

Similarly, I believe that bus 6110 at one time did a test run on the B35 before its articulated conversion. The only difference is the vertical clearance.

5 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

Similarly, I believe that bus 6110 at one time did a test run on the B35 before its articulated conversion. The only difference is the vertical clearance.

correct. and depending on which run you're performing, clearance may or may not come into play. that's why at UP, GA or JG (and eventually EN) they'll pick any xd60/xn60 model to train operators on. people on this forum make such a big deal out of a 61xx showing up at JG or a xn60 showing up at UP... why? because they're hoping they have the jump on an "exclusive" (and that term has been abused incessantly over the last few years) like calm down... it's about getting operators acclimated ASAP. For example, if UP were receiving 12xx LSFA's, they'd pull 54xx's from FB to train em on, if that was what's available in the division... doesn't mean that 54xx LSFA's will be assigned to UP

On 3/7/2020 at 10:12 PM, EastFlatbushLarry said:

correct. and depending on which run you're performing, clearance may or may not come into play. that's why at UP, GA or JG (and eventually EN) they'll pick any xd60/xn60 model to train operators on. people on this forum make such a big deal out of a 61xx showing up at JG or a xn60 showing up at UP... why? because they're hoping they have the jump on an "exclusive" (and that term has been abused incessantly over the last few years) like calm down... it's about getting operators acclimated ASAP. For example, if UP were receiving 12xx LSFA's, they'd pull 54xx's from FB to train em on, if that was what's available in the division... doesn't mean that 54xx LSFA's will be assigned to UP

Exactly. Just because a bus is at a depot, does not mean that it's there for revenue service. A bunch of Staten Island buses go to Manhattan to get the OMNY systems worked on when the vendor is not on the Island or they're a pass through depot on a transfer move.

Also, what people do have to realize is that operators are qualified on multiple types of buses through cross training. I haven't driven a XN40 yet but being that I'm trained on the XD40s, I can hop in one and go. So yeah, no need to wait on a XD60 because a depot is getting XDs.

On 3/9/2020 at 3:05 AM, SevenEleven said:

Exactly. Just because a bus is at a depot, does not mean that it's there for revenue service. A bunch of Staten Island buses go to Manhattan to get the OMNY systems worked on when the vendor is not on the Island or they're a pass through depot on a transfer move.

Also, what people do have to realize is that operators are qualified on multiple types of buses through cross training. I haven't driven a XN40 yet but being that I'm trained on the XD40s, I can hop in one and go. So yeah, no need to wait on a XD60 because a depot is getting XDs.

There are actually significant enough differences between the 5439-5602 batch of LFS buses and the 1200s/5253-5363/5770-5986 batch of LFSs that can't make one a substitute for the other for training. (The blue-and-yellow LFS buses do not have convex mirrors on the driver's side, while the older models do.) The mirror specs on Xcelsior artics, by contrast, have remained the same from 4710 up to the XE60s.

Also, I wonder if an XN60 will now be used on the morning B1 run that's out of Gleason.

Edited by aemoreira81

2 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

There are actually significant enough differences between the 5439-5602 batch of LFS buses and the 1200s/5253-5363/5770-5986 batch of LFSs that can't make one a substitute for the other for training. (The blue-and-yellow LFS buses do not have convex mirrors on the driver's side, while the older models do.) The mirror specs on Xcelsior artics, by contrast, have remained the same from 4710 up to the XE60s.

Also, I wonder if an XN60 will now be used on the morning B1 run that's out of Gleason.

Flatbush also has some revenue service during the rush hour for the B1. 

3 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

Training on the new LFS took 5 minutes for me. It's the same bus.

4 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

Don't really need a convex mirror on the left side.