April 2020 bus changes: B1 conversion to articulated buses

Union Tpke

23 minutes ago, OrionVIIonM79 said:

Instead of making the B1 artics, why not just make M96 artics? The M96s run frequently and every bus is crowded as hell. Run M96 artics out of MCH and Tusky

You probably don’t know how crowded the B1 gets, considering your based out of Manhattan (just a guess).

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/11/2020 at 11:10 PM, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I wonder if this B1 conversion is going to be postponed or suspended with the fact that Kingsborough CC (CUNY) has to now make all classes online starting March 19th due to COVID-19. 

This is gonna have a major impact on school runs, and overall transportation in the city.

With everything going on, this is definitely getting delayed. The demand isn't there anymore and they'll have more time to properly execute the conversion. 

You heard it from me first. 

On 3/11/2020 at 11:10 PM, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I wonder if this B1 conversion is going to be postponed or suspended with the fact that Kingsborough CC (CUNY) has to now make all classes online starting March 19th due to COVID-19. 

This is gonna have a major impact on school runs, and overall transportation in the city.

Conversion would be postponed only if the whole Spring pick is delayed or canceled. Nothing to that effect has been announced (yet).

On 3/16/2020 at 6:29 AM, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Conversion would be postponed only if the whole Spring pick is delayed or canceled. Nothing to that effect has been announced (yet).

As of March 17 , 2020: "Effective immediately, all transportation picks that are being held, or are scheduled to be held, are postponed until further notice.No picking should be conducted until further notice."

8 hours ago, 161 New York said:

As of March 17 , 2020: "Effective immediately, all transportation picks that are being held, or are scheduled to be held, are postponed until further notice.No picking should be conducted until further notice."

I have to wonder if the MTA is considering wholesale service cuts, but not to the point where a hearing would have to be held, as ridership has fallen precipitously citywide because of COVID-19.

On 1/18/2020 at 12:14 PM, Around the Horn said:

XN40s have already made revenue runs on the B1 so that's not an issue.

from which depot?

On 1/18/2020 at 7:40 AM, Xcelsior Man said:

the XN60s

But are they actually using XN60s?

On 1/18/2020 at 7:40 AM, Xcelsior Man said:

before their CNG tanks triggers on fire(maybe depending on how low they are). And JG want 100% CNG bus fleet so, FB can maybe the chosen one.

CNG tanks exploding? What? That;s how it works? I don't think so. Also, didn't FB just get a load of XD60s from (MTA)Bus?

11 minutes ago, Jova42R said:

I don't think so. Also, didn't FB just get a load of XD60s from (MTA)Bus?

They did, it's just 6042 is what's left to be sent. 

11 minutes ago, Jova42R said:

from which depot?

Jackie Gleason and no

Edited by Calvin

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2020 at 10:52 PM, Jova42R said:

from which depot?

CNG tanks exploding? What? That;s how it works? I don't think so. Also, didn't FB just get a load of XD60s from (MTA)Bus?

Ignore that.....that's not how it works. CNG tanks also doesn't explode that easily. Only way those tanks will explode is if there's a leak and someone lights up a flame, or if it gets it with force, causing it to damage both the roof casing and the tank itself. Neither of that actually happens here, or anywhere in the US for that matter.

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I don't know how they plan on transferring over 20 buses in a day....and then giving the Bronx buses in exchange...

Does the Bronx need any buses in exchange? They already received 10 buses from Flatbush Depot, and they might of had extra articulated buses before. Not sure though.

6 hours ago, Calvin said:

According to the schedule on mta.info, the total artics on the route will be about 12-16. 

So about how many 40 footers will be pushed out of UP? My guess is that XD40’s will go to another Brooklyn depot and if Bronx is in need of any buses, NGs will be sent.

9 hours ago, Snorunts said:

So about how many 40 footers will be pushed out of UP? My guess is that XD40’s will go to another Brooklyn depot and if Bronx is in need of any buses, NGs will be sent.

There will be about 20-30. Units around 7134-7151 have been pushed out so far. 

Edited by Calvin