Sad News: Byford resigns for real: What does this mean for the Network redesigns?

BrooklynBus

10 minutes ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

You win by not playing, because when you play, you’ll never win...

I had a 6 month streak of winning $25 or free tix every time I played the California Lottery Big Spin scratchers.

Never got to go on the TV show though. But it’s only $1.

OT though: sucks that this moron from Queens ran off a damn good manager just like that other moron from Queens.

We all lose today.

57 minutes ago, Deucey said:

I had a 6 month streak of winning $25 or free tix every time I played the California Lottery Big Spin scratchers.

Never got to go on the TV show though. But it’s only $1.

OT though: sucks that this moron from Queens ran off a damn good manager just like that other moron from Queens.

We all lose today.

Trump and Cuomo are from the same area: Jamaica

Briarwood: West of Parsons Blvd

Jamaica Estates: East of 164th Street and North of Hillside Avenue 

Trump was born in Jamaica Estates.

Trump is older than Cuomo by nearly 9 years.

2 hours ago, 4P3607 said:

^definetly agree with you on that last one, there is some sort of agenda to intentionally let the system fall apart to the point people demand a fix and thats when a politician comes in to "solve things".

Byford stepping down will seriously injure Cuomo's reputation (not like he has much right now anyways lol).

Cuomo has the confidence of less than 25% of the state's 67 counties. He will not recover unless the fruits of the Green Light Bill come to pass.

Sad to see Andy Byford resign. I don't blame him, though. W/o regard to ones political beliefs, I could see it being difficult to work with Andy Cuomo, unless he really likes him/her. Who knows, maybe Cuomo will appoint a friend of a friend from Alix Partners (the McKinsey-like outfit that finds efficiency through 'reorganizations') to take Byford's place. Shame.

As for the bus network redesigns, I could see some minor tweeks to the redesign to give the appearance of caring, but whoever Cuomo picks will most likely operate off of what is already in the 400+ page Queens Redesign booklet. It's awfully hard to start from scratch during a transition (from a designer's p.o.v.).

Edited by Uncle Floyd Fan
Added additional sentence about Queens Bus Redesign.

I was at 2 Broadway today for a meeting; arrived just a few hours after the news went out. The number of shocked faces, of employees furtively talking in hallways, the amount of sadness in that building was remarkable. The fate of the agency's operations aside, I and many others are extremely concerned about how Byford's departure -- both in that we are losing his leadership and in that competence and creativity are being rebuked -- will affect the long term health and culture of the organization. The MTA is already risk averse and terrified of proposing change; I fear those tendencies will only get worse. 

8 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

You are right. The odds of winning the lotto in consecutive days and getting struck by lightning each day are much better than fixing the (MTA) leadership. Funny thing is that I haven’t played the lotto in a long time, so any tips on how to improve my chances of winning?

Gambler's fallacy aint working out for ya? Serves you right for placing such a foolish "proposition" bet of playing double-dutch with BrooklynBus' nuts.... But since you ask, if you really want that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, there are plenty of NYC area bridges for you to hurl yourself over...

Just steer clear of any watercraft though, please & thank you.

6 hours ago, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

Cuomo has the confidence of less than 25% of the state's 67 counties. He will not recover unless the fruits of the Green Light Bill come to pass.

6 hours ago, Missabassie said:

So not surprised by this. Good on you Byford, you dashing fellow. Get out while you can...

2 hours ago, Deucey said:

So now that Andy ousted Andy, the Post raises an interesting question: 

Why would anyone take over as long as Cuomo’s the boss?

https://nypost.com/2020/01/23/why-would-anyone-take-over-after-andy-byford-fled-the-mta/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Barring being a glutton for punishment, my guess would be Notoriety.....

The retention (or lack thereof) of figureheads of sorts, speaks for itself..... All Byford's resignation signifies to me, is that the man still has some semblance of sanity left.

9 hours ago, NY1635 said:

Trump and Cuomo are from the same area: Jamaica

Briarwood: West of Parsons Blvd

Jamaica Estates: East of 164th Street and North of Hillside Avenue 

Trump was born in Jamaica Estates.

Trump is older than Cuomo by nearly 9 years.

They're both Same S***! Cuomo is not even a Real Democrat but a Closeted Republican.

9 hours ago, Deucey said:

So now that Andy ousted Andy, the Post raises an interesting question: 

Why would anyone take over as long as Cuomo’s the boss?

Quoting directly from the NY Post (emphasis is mine)

"No one is irreplaceable or should be — and Byford is not the only person in the world who understands how global subways are supposed to work. The question is: Since it’s obvious that he ran away from dysfunction under Cuomo, will any other global experts take a chance in Gotham?"

Here's how I see things taking place:

A true expert who has instant name recognition within mass transit rebuilds / value-added reorgs might think twice before seeking to work with Cuomo and MTA Chair Pat Foye. Many might simply pass on the chance and seek to work in a less stressful environment. As for filling the spot, that'll be relatively easy. Foye will probably poach a consultant-type from McKinsey, Alix, Boston Consulting, Accenture, etc. In turn, the older consultant will poach 2 junior consultants with the promise of good career exposure. The younger consultants will then say to themselves, "uh oh, what do we do now?".....the older consultant / friend of Foye will say "start with the run-book" (the 400+ page Queens Bus Redesign). They'll make a few changes where people complained most (ie - the QM6 gets left alone, the Q44 has late night service 7 days a week, the Q53 is somehow preserved as is, but with less service), implement the plan, claim success, update their LinkedIn page as "Senior Transit Engineer Manager", and then move on to the next one (usually back to one of the consulting houses).

TL;DR - No true experts will join, but friends of Cuomo and Foye will bring their friends and their work kids onboard for resume burnishing.

Edited by Uncle Floyd Fan

8 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Gambler's fallacy aint working out for ya? Serves you right for placing such a foolish "proposition" bet of playing double-dutch with BrooklynBus' nuts.... But since you ask, if you really want that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, there are plenty of NYC area bridges for you to hurl yourself over...

Just steer clear of any watercraft though, please & thank you.

Barring being a glutton for punishment, my guess would be Notoriety.....

The retention (or lack thereof) of figureheads of sorts, speaks for itself..... All Byford's resignation signifies to me, is that the man still has some semblance of sanity left.

According to the Census Bureau, 67.

Manhattan - New York County (my birth cert does not refer to Manhattan at all)

Brooklyn - Kings County, largest in state at 2.5M

Queens - Queens County

Bronx - Bronx County

Staten Island - Richmond County

29 minutes ago, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

I think you might be mixing up the numbers with Pennsylvania.

https://ballotpedia.org/Counties_in_Pennsylvania

Local government in Pennsylvania consists of:

Counties: There are 67 Counties. 7 operate under home rule charters. They are Allegheny, Delaware, Erie, Lackawanna, Lehigh, Luzerne, and Northampton.

For NYS - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_counties_in_New_York

2 hours ago, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

Manhattan - New York County (my birth cert does not refer to Manhattan at all)

Brooklyn - Kings County, largest in state at 2.5M

Queens - Queens County

Bronx - Bronx County

Staten Island - Richmond County

It's 62 counties, including the 5 boroughs....  Whatever source you're pulling that number from is wrong....

edit: Jesus Christ, please don't tell me the census is using this list - They're counting Brooklyn, Manhattan, Staten Island, Charlotte, and Tryon as counties, along with listing Kings, New York, Richmond, Washington, and Montgomery, respectively......

Edited by B35 via Church

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

It's 62 counties, including the 5 boroughs....  Whatever source you're pulling that number from is wrong....

edit: Jesus Christ, please don't tell me the census is using this list - They're counting Brooklyn, Manhattan, Staten Island, Charlotte, and Tryon as counties, along with listing Kings, New York, Richmond, Washington, and Montgomery, respectively......

To answer your question in the other thread. I wasn't marketing for Nassau.

Nassau County Residents just don't want to physically leave the county. It's the Dubliners!

Byford was in charge of NYC, but he keeps getting undermined by Upstate and Westchester.

5 hours ago, Uncle Floyd Fan said:

I think you might be mixing up the numbers with Pennsylvania.

https://ballotpedia.org/Counties_in_Pennsylvania

Local government in Pennsylvania consists of:

Counties: There are 67 Counties. 7 operate under home rule charters. They are Allegheny, Delaware, Erie, Lackawanna, Lehigh, Luzerne, and Northampton.

For NYS - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_counties_in_New_York

I stand corrected. @B35 via Church looks like I owe you an apology (again).

3 hours ago, NY1635 said:

To answer your question in the other thread. I wasn't marketing for Nassau.

Nassau County Residents just don't want to physically leave the county. It's the Dubliners!

Byford was in charge of NYC, but he keeps getting undermined by Upstate and Westchester.

Cool story.

34 minutes ago, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

I stand corrected. @B35 via Church looks like I owe you an apology (again).

No worries.

As for the link, it works fine on my end - it points to the NY state library website... Tried to check ny.gov, but they don't seem to have a list of all the counties anywhere (if they do, it isn't all that feasible to access).....

At this point, one of three things is gonna happen:

1) Deep service cuts are going to happen, prompting mass outrage.

2) Pensions will be cut, prompting mass outrage.

3) Fares will go up steeply, prompting mass outrage.

If the MTA remains insolvent for one more fiscal year, one or all of those things will come to pass. Something's Gotta Give.

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Cool story.

No worries.

As for the link, it works fine on my end - it points to the NY state library website... Tried to check ny.gov, but they don't seem to have a list of all the counties anywhere (if they do, it isn't all that feasible to access).....

Then I guess it's an ASN block (which is reasonable, as it it wards off DDoS attacks, which often use ASNs like Leaseweb. I just don't feel OK giving local DNS overlord MCI my information.

5 minutes ago, Deucey said:

I read somewhere the signals chief left too, and that Cuomo “orchestrated” this departure last year.

Anyone know where that piece was? Wasn’t in politico, NYSOP or the NYT.

https://nypost.com/2020/01/24/subway-signals-expert-handpicked-by-andy-byford-also-resigns-from-mta/

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-mta-second-officer-resigns-20200124-i2arcknaanbk7o5hvirtalo5du-story.html

https://www.politico.com/states/new-york/city-hall/story/2020/01/24/byfords-signals-guru-follows-him-out-the-door-1254773

These are articles about Tomlin leaving the (MTA) in general.

Edited by JeremiahC99