Attempted murder charge for subway shooter; fired on cops out of 'wild' fear he'd be

Trainspotter

Attempted murder charge for subway shooter; fired on cops out of 'wild' fear he'd be deported

By CORINNE RAMEY, HENRICK KAROLISZYN and ALISON GENDAR

DAILY NEWS WRITERS

October 23rd 2008

[float=right]amd_nunez-arod.jpg

Nunez getting Alex Rodriguez's autograph

in an undated photo.

[/float]A gunman opened fire at point-blank range on three cops because he went "wild" at the thought of being deported to the Dominican Republic, authorities said at his Thursday arraignment.

Raul Nuñez, who was arraigned from his sick bed at Bellevue Hospital, now faces 25 years to life in prison.

"They were trying to arest me. I saw the gun and I grabbed it and I went wild," Nuñez told police shortly after he was arrested Tuesday. "I would have kept shooting, but the other cop shot me and broke my leg."

The illegal immigrant said he unleashed the barrage of shots for "my kids."

"I didn't think of anything but my babies," he said, " I was just trying to do it for my kids. I'm illegal."

He was charged with three counts of first-degree attempted murder as well as assault, weapon possession charges, resisting arrest and fare beating.

The 32-year-old Nuñez was booted from the U.S. a decade ago after he was convicted of selling cocaine to an undercover cop in 1997.

He somehow snuck back in - and feared when he was caught Tuesday using a stolen student MetroCard at a Queens subway station he would be sent back home, authorities said.

When Officers Jason Maass and Shane Farina tried to arrest Nuñex for farebeating in the Queensbridge-21st St. station, he fought with them and managed to get Maass' gun, cops said.

Nuñez shot Maass and Farina as they lay on the Manhattan-bound platform, and then tried to shoot his way past Lt. Gary Abrahall upstairs, authorities charged.

"I saw a silver gun on the ground. I picked up the gun and shot the officer from about 2 feet away. I know I hit them," Nuñez told police, court documents show.

"I knew they were cops," the ex-con admitted, "I don't know why I did it. I'm sorry."

The 22-year NYPD veteran shot Nuñez as the ex-con cleared the turnstiles.

"A seemingly routine stop at a subway turnstile turned deadly in seconds - reminding all of us that there is nothing routine in police work," Queens District Attorney Richard Brown said.

Farina, who was shot in the stomach, was able to sit up Thursday at Elmhurst Hospital and share a few words with fellow cops, a hospital spokesman said.

Maass, released from the hospital Tuesday evening, said his thought were with his partner.

"Shane is a hero," Maass said outside his Long Island home. "I'll let you know that my prayers and concerns are with Shane and I hope he makes a real speedy recovery. I'm glad Lt. "A" did the right thing and I'm glad we're able to get the suspect."

The 32-year-old Nuñez was booted from the U.S. a decade ago after he was convicted of selling cocaine to an undercover cop in 1997.

He somehow snuck back in - and feared when he was caught Tuesday using a stolen student MetroCard at a Queens subway station he would be sent back home, authorities said.

Well, he's going, for sure now.

And he will be deported right after that.

This is why no one should be released from custody EVER until legal status is verified...there are also pending immigration charges as well.

I agree with that, but if you ever want to come to this country I suggest to do it legally, I've gone through legally myself, and can''t imagine for those that jump the border...

Archived