Trainspotter

NYC Transit halts subway to eulogize beloved conductor/motorman

BY PETE DONOHUE

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

October 24th 2008

alg_plaque.jpg

Alvarez/News

Family of Michael Moore hold plaque dedicating crew room in Ditmars Blvd

station in Astoria, Queens, to the longtime NYC Transit employee.

As a subway conductor and motorman, the late Michael Moore ran trains for about 15 years. Thursday, they took the extremely unusual step of stopping the trains for him.

NYC Transit cut service along a stretch of Queens track so colleagues, friends and family could honor the beloved subway worker with a wakelike ceremony at a strange but fitting venue: the outdoor platform of the Ditmars Blvd. station, Moore's home base in Astoria.

Under a bright blue sky, N line conductors and motormen stepped to a podium to eulogize their colleague, who died last year of a stroke at age 54.

"He personified the golden rule: 'Do unto others as you would have them do unto you,'" said NYC Transit Rabbi Harry Berkowitz.

Between 9:30 a.m. and 2 p.m., W trains terminated at Queensboro Plaza, Queens, instead of going six more stops to Ditmars Blvd. N trains continued to run the full route.

NYC Transit President Howard Roberts and Transport Workers Union Local 100 President Roger Toussaint unveiled a plaque officially renaming the crew room at the end-of-the-line station in Moore's memory.

Moore is only the third TWU member to have a transit facility named after him. He joins legendary Local 100 President Mike Quill and Joseph Murphy, a transit worker killed serving in the Gulf War.

Working the midnight shift, Moore took time to teach and encourage rookies, co-workers said.

"He cared," transit worker Stan DuBose said simply.

"I thank God for Mike every day," conductor Angel Vasquez said. "I don't think I could've made 11 years as a conductor without him."

With his cap tilted to the side, a cigar clenched between his teeth and a joke always at the ready, Moore was a larger-than-life character, as compassionate as he was mirthful, co-workers said.

"There were times when I hated coming to work, like New Year's Eve, but Mike found a way to make it special," motorman Antonio Diaz said. "He would come into work with a bottle of sparkling apple cider and those cheap champagne glasses, and we would bring in the New Year with a toast."

Moore is survived by his wife, Regina, and two grown sons.

People around the world for years have had a stereotype of new yorkers and its workers as rude and uncaring. Mr Moore is remembered as a prime example of the opposite. too bad he has passed. It would have been an honor to have gotten a chance to work with him if i ever get called!

R.I.P.

I hope to get to work with others like him.

Archived