Queens Bus Redesign Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

@QM1to6Ave Express bus service is being SLAUGHTERED. They are proposing to eliminate just about all off-peak service in Queens.  Start from page 304:

https://new.mta.info/document/12706

I am definitely reading it. Also, is it me, or are some routes really doing only a handful of trips (2-3 runs) during both AM and PM rush hours?

I hate this. My new commute from Glendale to Long Island City is going to take ever longer with the Q29 now re-branded as the QT82 with the only possible transfer to the 7 train at 103rd st or the Q47 now re-branded as the QT86 that goes to main st. Looks like at least an hour and 30 minute trip or longer. And buses have will be running every 20 minutes ..wow unbelievable, very worse horrible service. how the hell is this an improvement?!

Where i live now, i have a choice of taking the Q47 to either 69th st or 74st 7 subway station or the Q29 bus to 82nd st station

Edited by azspeedbullet

Q24 overnight service will apparently be eliminated. The route would no longer operate 24 hours according to the report.

Also, placing Q72 bus stops more than 2500 feet apart (basically a LIMITED) is outrageous, among other things.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Major cuts to express buses, no PM express runs until at least 4pm, getting rid of the Downtown Loop, pointless plethora of service to Hudson Yards, getting rid of virtually all subway connections for 6th avenue and Hudson Yards buses.  Why would you get rid of the Park Avenue stop?  Plenty of people use that stop to get on the 4,5,6 lines to get to other parts of the city.  Regardless of what the MTA thinks, people don't just work on 3rd Avenue or 6th Avenue between 34th Street and 57th Street or Hudson Yards...

I applaud some of creativity with getting more express access to parts of Queens that need it, like in Southeast Queens, but a lot of these routes are going to be 2 hour runs, there's just no way to get people to the city faster with all the traffic.  A lot of these routes don't make sense either.  They're going to take the QM25, split it into 2 routes, and have the Eliot Ave QMT100 run downtown via Metropolitan Avenue?  The QM25 as is takes 30 minutes from it's last stop to get to Peck Slip and Pearl, there's no way Metropolitan Avenue will be faster.

It also looks like they're going to send Downtown buses via the BQE in the morning, has anyone gotten in a car and tried out these routes?  The LIE to the BQE is a nightmare in the morning and will only add more time to these already long runs.  

It looks like they're putting most midtown buses on Queens Boulevard in the PM to get back to Queens, however there are some buses like the Whitestone/Bay Terrace buses that they are taking off of Northern and putting back on the LIE via Van Dam street.  Why not just get rid of the midtown loop and run the 6th Ave bus down 5th or 7th so it can take 34th Street to the tunnel instead of adding an extra step to get back onto the LIE.  Thompson and Van Dam can get very backed up while the LIE from the tunnel to the BQE is relatively smooth sailing (though B/Os will have to cut people off to get on to the lower level of the LIE).  The MTA has already shown they have no qualms of chopping off service to speed up runtimes like they are proposing with the downtown buses, why not chop off some stops from the midtown buses so that it won't have to go cross town on 34th to get to 6th an then back across town to get to the bridge, going crosstown is what takes the longest.  

Edited by ViaWaterViaChurch

Hey @B35 via Church didn’t you predict at one point that the (MTA) was going to create a bunch of super routes for the Queens bus redesign. So far that’s what I see and I don’t understand how these planners thought these routes were logical in the first place. All I really see is a bunch of routes taken apart and combined with one another and turned into Limiteds. And of course they are getting rid of a ton of stops to make these routes not look as bad as they really are.

Like come on how are they going to take a route like the Q64 which is good the way it is, and combine it with the Q10 to JFK? Keep the Q64 and Q10 the way that they are. There is nothing really wrong with them. If they were to cut the 130th Ave branch and replace it with the Q37 for example I could understand that more. 

Then that route that runs from 188th and 64th Ave to Ditmars Blvd where the current Q23 stops at. Like who tf thought that was a good route knowing how the current Q23 gets plagued with traffic along 108th street and in Corona. 

There are some like the QT12 that I like because I feel like it would be more useful to residents along Horace Harding than the current Q30 and Q88 are. I also don’t have too much to complain about with the QT17, I just wonder what is going to run to the city line. I haven’t finished reading everything yet, but some of these proposal really have me cringing.

I don’t know what to think about a route like the QT15 that takes on the Q65 from 110th street in College Point to Main Street and then the Q26/Q27 all the way to Oakland Gardens by QCC. I think a route from QCC should even go to College Point. They should just stay separated.

Overall from what I’ve read so far most of these proposals are trash. Then the removal of stops such as on my home route the Q25 or the proposed QT16 makes me mad because some of these are stops that are removing are well used. This is pitiful smh. 

Edited by NewFlyer 230

17 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

Surprised they cut the Q53. I wonder why though? Was it not getting its service it needed from that portion of Far Rockaway? Also I see they are straightening out the Q58 with its routing. I wonder where is the B15 going to go now since its being replaced by the Q5? 

They are "studying" a seasonal variant that would run to Jacob Riis Park, similar to the current Q53.