Queens Bus Redesign Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Mysterious2train said:

I don't like the QT78 much; it's awfully barebones for Roosevelt Island. If we're stuck with a single new route I would much rather have the Q104/QT63 to reach places like Costco or the whole strip of businesses along Broadway.....

....The Western Queens Transportation Study IMO had the best of both worlds for RI by proposing sending both the Q104 and Q39 to Roosevelt Island - Q104 to serve the shops, Q39 to serve Queens Plaza/Court Square. MTA would definitely never go for that - seems like the QT78 is the 'middle of the road' option by serving some of Astoria/LIC/Sunnyside and for taking the straightest route to get to the subway and bus lines, while not really excelling at either.

IMO, outside of bridging a gap along 69th st, the QT78 doesn't address much of anything.... I don't see much of a point with combining a [portion of the western portion of the Q66 & diverting it out to RI] with a [69th st route].....

As much as I hate the current B57 terminal in Maspeth, instead of proposing this QT78, I'd have rather used the Q104 as a template & extend it on both ends.....  Have it act as a 48th st route, to go on to end at the B57 terminal (via 55th av, via current Q39 to Grand av, via Grand) & on the other end of the route, have it go B'way > 21st > 36th > RI..... Have this service run like every 12 mins peak/20 mins off-peak.... Only thing is though, I wouldn't have every trip serving the northern portion of RI (that's something the Red Bus should be doing at minimum anyway; how it is supposed to be the Roosevelt Island bus that half-ass serves... Roosevelt Island?)....

I personally wouldn't have bothered trying to replace the 35th av portion of the Q66...

40 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

@Mysterious2train Maybe they should have the QT78 cover the southern portion of the island, and the QT63 cover the northern portion.

Don't necessarily care for a Broadway route, but if we're to have one, I'd rather run said QT63 to the projects (Astoria) over a] having it serve the northern portion of RI & b] running 2 routes to RI (which is where I disagree w/ that Western Queens Bus Study).....

In either case, why they're preserving terminating a bus route over there on 11th/34th (even though in actuality, buses end on 34th, after turning off Vernon) is anyone's guess.....

Edited by B35 via Church

1 hour ago, BrooklynBus said:

Everyone I know has been freaking out over the possible removal of the Q53 for a few days, and rightly so. The Q53 easily beats out the Rockaway (S) in ridership and usually time during peak hours and properly serves the area. Keeping the 52, when riders in that area have the (A) and Q22 (soon QT22) and prefer to use that, seems like an arrogant move to those on the west side, and those needing to go to work and schools in it. Reinstating the 53 in the summer is nothing but damage control. 

A lot of people going into the peninsula will clog westward 22's once they reach the Beach 90's, and the problem will get worse for new (S) riders when it has delays, or the bridge goes up. Any way the (MTA) slices it, they'll have a huge opposition with this plan, and I wouldn't be surprised if they scrapped it immediately, hopefully eventually... 

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

20 minutes ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

Everyone I know has been freaking out over the possible removal of the Q53 for a few days, and rightly so. The Q53 easily beats out the Rockaway (S) in ridership and usually time during peak hours and properly serves the area. Keeping the 52, when riders in that area have the (A) and Q22 (soon QT22) and prefer to use that, seems like an arrogant move to those on the west side, and those needing to go to work and schools in it. Reinstating the 53 in the summer is nothing but damage control. 

A lot of people going into the peninsula will clog westward 22's once they reach the Beach 90's, and the problem will get worse for new (S) riders when it has delays, or the bridge goes up. Any way the (MTA) slices it, they'll have a huge opposition with this plan, and I wouldn't be surprised if they scrapped it immediately, hopefully eventually... 

The plan to end the Q53 will be scrapped and there will be some changes in Jackson Heights because of all the opposition there. They will also probably be forced to return some of the proposed bus stops slated for removal. But in the end they will still remove far too many bus stops than necessary, and will also cancel some of the good parts of the plan that people like, with the excuse that they can’t keep them because of the additions they are putting back because they have arbitrarily decided the plan has to be cost neutral.

Also, I believe some of the cuts to MTA Bus Co routes have been forced upon the MTA by NYCDOT to reduce the subsidy the city has to pay the MTA so the city can use that money to expand ferry service. 

15 minutes ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

I think they're still relentlessly trying to cater to Arverne, specifically...

Although neither has exactly flourished per se, I can understand creating a new route to cater to those in Spring Creek [B84]; at least there's the mall out there, on top of the (relatively) newly formed residences out there.... I can even understand catering to the hipster crowd up in the revitalized portion of Williamsburg [B32]; i.e - the so-called waterfront community.... Both have people coming from all over to patronize the establishments/businesses within those respective communities.....

OTOH, who in the f*** is heading to Arverne from mainland Queens, or anywhere else in this city, that aren't Arverne residents or have family/friends that live there? Maybe I'm missing something; what is the main draw of that community exactly? I mean, I like the color scheme of the houses, the atmosphere's calming to a certain extent, but AFAIC, that's about it.....

To retain the Q53 & do away with the Q52 would be an indirect concession that the creation of the thing was unjustified.....

Never thought I'd see the Q53 get killed off to promote the Q52.

Nobody's going to Arverne Proper, they just want to get to Far Rockaway for a connection to the other routes. Far Rockaway has the Hospital, LIRR Station, and the n31.32 and n33 over at Seagirt Blvd and Mott Av.

It seems like Byford know what he's doing, but is making the Governor and Mayor look bad. To his defense, Cuomo and Deblasio are shooting themselves in the foot.

Those Far Rock residents love the n31/32. They hate the Q22 because it leaves them stuck waiting at Mott/B.21 for hours.

Edited by NY1635

6 hours ago, NY1635 said:

Nobody's going to Arverne Proper, they just want to get to Far Rockaway for a connection to the other routes. Far Rockaway has the Hospital, LIRR Station, and the n31.32 and n33 over at Seagirt Blvd and Mott Av.

That's exactly my point.... They don't want Arverne, those people want places east of it - Which is why you have those residing well east of Arverne willingly riding Q22's out to catch the Q53 (since it's more frequent than the Q52.... well that, and for any added/direct coverage along Broadway they may benefit from)....

MTA's hedging their bets by ridding themselves of the Q53 & not extending the Q52 further out to where it would be more useful (esp. considering how much of the (A) & the Q22 it would generally parallel, on top of the fact that an extended Q52 to Far Rockaway within the Rockaways would eat up more mileage than the Q53).....

5 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

If a (A) and Q53 left Rockaway Park at the same time, which would get to Rockaway Blvd First?

I'd say the (A) would.... It would have a greater headstart leaving the Rockaways....  Even though the (A) takes like forever between N. Conduit & Rockaway Blvd, the Q52 has too much passenger activity along Cross Bay blvd. to catch up....

On 1/8/2020 at 6:05 PM, N6 Limited said:

How would speed cameras on Kings highway be effective if you encounter about 2 consecutive green signals at best along the corridor?

The light timing isn't great, but I think 2 consecutive greens is a bit of an exaggeration. It's not very hard to get up to speed.

On 1/9/2020 at 12:31 AM, bobtehpanda said:

If you're not breaking the law, why are you worried about it?

The overall speed limit of 25 is artificially low; on many roads (such as Ocean Parkway and 4th Avenue) it is ridiculous to actually keep to 25. Thus, it stands to reason that if one wants to go a more appropriate speed without fear of getting unnecessary tickets, they should care about speed cameras.

10 minutes ago, P3F said:

The overall speed limit of 25 is artificially low; on many roads (such as Ocean Parkway and 4th Avenue) it is ridiculous to actually keep to 25. Thus, it stands to reason that if one wants to go a more appropriate speed without fear of getting unnecessary tickets, they should care about speed cameras.

Simple trick. Doesn’t work for everyone. 
Before 10:00PM Monday- Friday. Cruise between 25 and 30. After 10. Streets is open. However, be aware of your surroundings and blend with the traffic. 

1 hour ago, P3F said:

Artificially low for the design speed of the road, sure.

It's not artificially low when considering the speed differential between a multi-ton piece of steel and a human body.

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

Simple trick. Doesn’t work for everyone. 
Before 10:00PM Monday- Friday. Cruise between 25 and 30. After 10. Streets is open. However, be aware of your surroundings and blend with the traffic. 

Better trick, before 10PM Mon-Fri, Cameras go off at 36mph, so cruise at 30-35 mph. You get through so many more signals that way.

9 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

Artificially low for the design speed of the road, sure.

It's not artificially low when considering the speed differential between a multi-ton piece of steel and a human body.

Going with the theme, It gives an artificially low sense of danger that now pedestrians now waltz into the street where before vision zero, they'd at least have some sort of self awareness and personal responsibility to mindfully cross the street when safe to do so.

15 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

I'd say the (A) would.... It would have a greater headstart leaving the Rockaways....  Even though the (A) takes like forever between N. Conduit & Rockaway Blvd, the Q52 has too much passenger activity along Cross Bay blvd. to catch up....

I wonder if they'll improve (A) service to Rockaway Park to make up for the switch.

Did breezy point ever have bus service?

1 hour ago, bobtehpanda said:

The reason I brought up those specific roads is they are wide with good visibility of the surrounding area. This makes it much less likely for a non-jaywalking pedestrian to be hit.

1 hour ago, N6 Limited said:

Going with the theme, It gives an artificially low sense of danger that now pedestrians now waltz into the street where before vision zero, they'd at least have some sort of self awareness and personal responsibility to mindfully cross the street when safe to do so.

I have seen multiple cases where pedestrians waiting at the corner for the light that recently ended will cross in front of a car just as the car's light turns green, because the car was stuck waiting for a LPI (the delay between pedestrian and car lights turning to white/green) and the pedestrians thought that's a good opportunity to go for it.

Edited by P3F

9 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

I wonder if they'll improve (A) service to Rockaway Park to make up for the switch.

Fat chance of that. We can't even get a full-time (C) to Lefferts...

14 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

Did breezy point ever have bus service?

If it did (from Green Bus Lines), it would hardly matter at this point. Breezy Point is quite insular, mostly requiring going elsewhere for work/school or to get whatever's not available there.

7 minutes ago, Lex said:

If it did (from Green Bus Lines), it would hardly matter at this point. Breezy Point is quite insular, mostly requiring going elsewhere for work/school or to get whatever's not available there.

Breezy Point is a private community, so the bus service that they wanted they have in the QM16 over in Riis Park.

http://www.mta.info/press-release/nyc-transit/mta-adds-more-outreach-opportunities-public-input-draft-plan-reimagine

Additional outreach sessions have been added. Here's the list of them (starting tomorrow):

Monday, Jan. 13, 4-7 p.m.
Sutphin Blvd-Archer Av (E)(J)(Z) 

Tuesday, Jan. 14, 6-9 a.m.
Rockaway Blvd (A) 

Wednesday, Jan. 15, 6-9 a.m.
Court Sq-23 St (E)(M) 

Wednesday, Jan. 15, 7-8:30 p.m.
Southridge Building I, rumpus room
33-04 93rd Street, Jackson Heights

Thursday, Jan. 16, 4-7 p.m.
Beach 54 St (A) 

Tuesday, Jan. 21, 6-8 p.m.
Greater Ridgewood Youth Council
59-03 Summerfield Street, Ridgewood

Wednesday, Jan. 22, 6-8 p.m.
Queens Flushing Library
41-17 Main Street, Flushing

Thursday, Jan. 23, 6:30-8:30 p.m.
SUNY Queens Educational Opportunity Center
158-29 Archer Avenue, Jamaica

Tuesday, Jan. 28, 6-8 p.m. 
Queens Borough Hall
120-55 Queens Boulevard, Kew Gardens

Wednesday, Jan. 29, 6-8 p.m. 
J.H.S. 202 Robert H. Goddard
138-30 Lafayette Street, Ozone Park

Thursday, Jan. 30, 6-8 p.m.
Langston Hughes Library and Cultural Center
100-01 Northern Boulevard, Corona

Tuesday, Feb. 4, 6-8 p.m.
Jacob Riis Settlement
10-25 41st Avenue, Long Island City

Wednesday, Feb. 5, 6:30-8:30 p.m.
RISE/Rockaway Waterfront Alliance
58-03 Rockaway Beach Boulevard, Far Rockaway

Thursday, Feb. 6, 7-8:30 p.m.
Rockaway YMCA
207 Beach 73rd Street, Arverne

2 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

http://www.mta.info/press-release/nyc-transit/mta-adds-more-outreach-opportunities-public-input-draft-plan-reimagine

Additional outreach sessions have been added. Here's the list of them (starting tomorrow):

The new sessions are in the Rockaways and Jackson Heights, where there have been a lot of opposition.

On 1/7/2020 at 1:44 PM, BrooklynBus said:

There are other ways to be more efficient without doing it on the backs of bus riders.

Example through more efficient scheduling. Why do buses operate halfway across the borough not in service? 

Why after 15 years have they not been able to merge NYCT and MTA BusCo depots. Think of all the wasted money by just by having the B100 operating out of Spring Creek Depot for 15 years as opposed to Flatbush Depot that it runs right past. 

Why has interior bus advertisement space been empty for the past 40 years? It's because the terms and conditions are not conducive to local businesses. The MTA claims no one wants to advertise on the inside of buses. Maybe that's true for the chains. But if the price was right, local businesses would advertise. Look at all the extra money they would have over 40 years if each ad space had been filled at a cost of $10 per month? Assuming 50 spaces per bus, that's $500 per bus per month x 4,000 buses is $2,000,000 per month x 12 months is $24 million per year x 40 years is  $960 million. 

There is something wrong with the current terms. Either the terms are too long, you have to advertise on too many buses where you have no potential customers or the cost is too much. If you could only advertise on buses in one depot, for a reasonable term at a reasonable charge, you would get customers. Hasn't the MTA heard of supply and demand? The problem is they just contracted out the advertising and probably haven't reviewed the terms of the contract in years and left everything to the vendor to decide. Anything they would charge is better than no revenue at all. 

Pardon my sarcasm but "what is revenue?" I thought all of the agency's money comes from the taxpayers of the city and the state when the two  governmental entities voted on a budget each year..

By the same token "why should we advertise?" I thought we have a captive audience and we do not need to advertise our services to them.

With the bunch that is running (ruining) the system even if there was an advertising department, the penny pinching gang would find a way to get rid of it  the moment one of the political candidates runs against one of their patrons and of course,, the department would disappear in a New York minute..

Yes! I too remember the ads on the inside of buses and it bought in revenue for the agency but was a time when ideas went up the chain of command and were discussed and implemented. Today, if the idea does not come from the mountain top, it will never see the light of day and how many employees would take a chance at upsetting someone who will find a way to abolish their item without batting an eyelash. For the record, someone tried to do it to me and they were unsuccessful. Many of us that are part of that generation were not afraid to stick our neck out for something that were believed in to be right and did suffer the consequences for it. 

It is a different world out there as compared when we started in the 1970's and my heart goes out to those who are first coming into goverment today.