Queens Bus Redesign Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

16 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

There's a part of me that wonders if the (MTA) purposely botched these plans to cause so much outrage that they could then rescind the service cuts and get more money. lol

Even if they did that it doesn’t look good. In about 11 1/2 months from now is congestion pricing and they are going to get a slew of $$$$ and plus some funds from the outerborough fund. So all of this cutting of bus service is purely uncalled for. If Bronx and Queens reacted the way they did. I’m really waiting on Brooklyn. 

Edited by Future ENY OP

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Even if they did that it doesn’t look good. In about 11 1/2 months from is congestion pricing and they are going to get a slew of $$$$ and plus some funds from the outerborough fund. So all of this cutting of bus service is purely uncalled for. If Bronx and Queens reacted the way they did. I’m really waiting on Brooklyn. 

Well they figured they could cut their costs and people wouldn't complain... The crap they pulled with the Bronx was insane... The routes weren't that bad, but then they throw in the service spans... I lost it when that saw that. Took me about an hour for my blood pressure to come down. lol

35 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

1. That only really makes sense at the county line, where the walking time to the Nassau bus stop is 1-2 minutes. No one is dragging their ass from LNP to the county line just to take a Nassau bus.

2. Nassau runs shitty frequencies, it's not as if Nassau is going to increase service due to MTA service cuts.

He's making this into a NICE bus vs. an MTA thing & it's not applicable..... Even if you do or don't believe service along LNP is justified, it's simply not relevant whether people are taking n22's over Q43's, or whether people are taking n24's over Q36's.... It's like he says shit just to try to fit in....

Edited by B35 via Church

8 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Emergency announcement..... LMFAO ! 

Queens has to keep that backlash coming....

Yeah man, that section of Queens south of QB between Woodhaven Blvd & the western edge of Sunnyside would get hosed with this plan.... I'm sorry, but 65th place south of QB is more deserving of a through-route than 58th st.... And to take away the Q47 along & around Calamus (IMO, because you can't nicely fit it into a grid) is completely unjustified.... Too many older folks down in that portion of Queens.... I keep saying it & I'm going to keep saying it - this is just further evidence that the MTA does not know its own riderbase....

Especially the folks of Southeast Queens, Ozone Park, Richmond Hill. Haven’t heard too much from them from the rest of the pack. 
This whole Q4/5/83/84/85 mumbo jumbo is some stupid s*it I’ve ever seen.

4 hours ago, NY1635 said:

It's a moot point. People would rather travel east on the n22 or 24 to catch the n25 at New Hyde Park Road for LIJ and North Shore University Hospital, and Northern Blvd, or use the same n24 on Jericho Turnpike for Jamaica travel. The n24 always gets crowded whenever the Q36 doesn't show up.

As for the Q36, it's now in an awkward position where Floral Park wants to oust that route off 257th so they can eliminate some stops along Jericho. 

In short, more people around the 257th-268th Street area would rather take the n22 and n24 into Queens for a faster commute than wait for the Q36 and Q43 to go into service. 

Remind me what year is this?. When was the last time the (MTA) invested in Long Island?  All this MTA vs NICE is completely out of reach. 

8 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

He's making this into a NICE bus vs. an MTA thing & it's not applicable..... Even if you do or don't believe service along LNP is justified, it's simply not relevant whether people are taking n22's over Q43's, or whether people are taking n24's over Q36's.... It's like he says shit just to try to fit in....

The accuracy of this statement. 

3 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Especially the folks of Southeast Queens, Ozone Park, Richmond Hill. Haven’t heard too much from them from the rest of the pack. 

What's being done in a lot of the SE portion of Queens is poorly executed... For them to pull off what they're suggesting to have the masses satisfied, they're going to have to supply more service (which of course won't happen, as it'd mean more manpower & resources needed in order to carry that out).... The whole, mad dash to the subway (commuter local) concept is great, but that should not constitute 100% (or pretty close to it) of the service of a particular service area... Yes, everyone wants faster service, but as @Mtatransit said, that's not the way you go about it.... You're not going to get people to be all gung-ho about a new redesign if it's suggestive of people having to walk more to catch a bus that isn't as frequent....

Even if I put any nefarious conspiracy theories aside, and I hate to put it like this, but dollar van operators out there should be doing backflips, cartwheels, and simultaneous fist-pumps & triple lutzes right now, because they're fin to make bank if this rendition of the plan becomes finalized....

7 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

What's being done in a lot of the SE portion of Queens is poorly executed... For them to pull off what they're suggesting to have the masses satisfied, they're going to have to supply more service (which of course won't happen, as it'd mean more manpower & resources needed in order to carry that out).... The whole, mad dash to the subway (commuter local) concept is great, but that should not constitute 100% (or pretty close to it) of the service of a particular service area... Yes, everyone wants faster service, but as @Mtatransit said, that's not the way you go about it.... You're not going to get people to be all gung-ho about a new redesign if it's suggestive of people having to walk more to catch a bus that isn't as frequent....

Even if I put any nefarious conspiracy theories aside, and I hate to put it like this, but dollar van operators out there should be doing backflips, cartwheels, and simultaneous fist-pumps & triple lutzes right now, because they're fin to make bank if this rendition of the plan becomes finalized....

*cues 1988/1989 and all of the 1990’s* and the return of the mass Dollar Vans down Merrick, Linden, Murdock and anywhere within SE Queens. 

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

To calculate distance, you divide the distance by the runtime

Ouch..... That should read "To calculate the speed, you divide the distance by the runtime"
(speed = distance / time)

side note: that distance listed for the QT54 (17.63 miles) is a round trip distance....

40 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Remind me what year is this?. When was the last time the (MTA) invested in Long Island?  All this MTA vs NICE is completely out of reach.

NICE bus is making the strides that it's making, and that's great..... However, much of nobody residing in Queens is tryna hear about that right now, when their service stands to have some type of alteration made to it....

Edited by B35 via Church

23 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

*cues 1988/1989 and all of the 1990’s* and the return of the mass Dollar Vans down Merrick, Linden, Murdock and anywhere within SE Queens. 

*still biting conspiracist tongue*

I don't have a problem with those guys, but I don't want to see anymore of an influx of them than there already are, either.... Public transit, large in part, should be exploiting a general market, not private services....

7 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

State law actually requires fare and toll increases every two years. It was part of the 2010 "bailout" passed by the same state legislators who now complain that the MTA is actually complying with their law.

LOL yes, and it's all a show, even some board members have pointed out that it's unsustainable. The question is, will they just complain about it, or actually pass another law removing that requirement?

6 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I get minimizing redundancy but there comes a point where you're just shooting yourself in the foot. 24 minute off-peak headways on a densely populated corridor doesn't make sense. It was the MTA themselves who seemed to prefer frequency over coverage and this is the opposite. (Either way, you can route the QT34 to the hospital, that's fine and will be a benefit)

I'm not sure I understand this argument. Hillside Ave will have 3 routes, the route with 24 minute off-peak headway is the QT34 which branches off of the corridor.

1 hour ago, bobtehpanda said:

LNP is small even for a local shopping center. Starbucks, Panera, Chipotle and Petco are not pulling in even hundreds of workers.

I was referring to the route that goes by the Douglaston Center and Hospital (QT34). By serving those destinations it boosts the stats of the route.

43 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

*still biting conspiracist tongue*

I don't have a problem with those guys, but I don't want to see anymore of an influx of them than there already are, either.... Public transit, large in part, should be exploiting a general market, not private services....

Me too. No problems with them. However, the TA really needs to do better with this or else especially with SE Queens and Ozone Park. Nothing should deviate away from Jamaica Center, Sutphin Boulevard, Hillside & 153-Parsons, Hillside & 169, Hillside & 179, Kew Gardens and Rockaway Boulevard. 

4 hours ago, NY1635 said:

The QT67 is just the Q112 taken off South Road and put on Liberty Avenue. 

The Redesign would rather have the Q111, Q113/114, what I think is the Q85 traveling on Guy Brewer and branching off at Baisley, Farmers and 147th Avenue to balance the loads.

IIRC, Q111, 113/114 get usage at Hillside-Parsons, Jamaica Center, York College, Rochdale Village (Guy Brewer Side), 147th Avenue, Five Towns Shopping Center, and Far Rockaway at Mott Avenue and Seagirt.

The Q85 gets usage around the Beddell Street side of Rochdale Village with neither covering 137th Avenue or Baisley Blvd.

All of what you said literally has NOTHING to do with any of my concerns dude......

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Emergency announcement..... LMFAO ! 

Queens has to keep that backlash coming....

Yeah man, that section of Queens south of QB between Woodhaven Blvd & the western edge of Sunnyside would get hosed with this plan.... I'm sorry, but 65th place south of QB is more deserving of a through-route than 58th st.... And to take away the Q47 along & around Calamus (IMO, because you can't nicely fit it into a grid) is completely unjustified.... Too many older folks down in that portion of Queens.... I keep saying it & I'm going to keep saying it - this is just further evidence that the MTA does not know its own riderbase....

I have a feeling even with all this backlash, the area around Maspeth and near Grand Ave will still not get what they want. I would guess that the final plan would still have no service along 65 Pl or Calamus Ave, as on page 48 of the draft plan, streets were listed that bus operators recommend that routes avoid, including 65 Pl, Calamus Ave, Jay Ave, and 53 Dr, all in the Maspeth area.

2 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Even if they did that it doesn’t look good. In about 11 1/2 months from now is congestion pricing and they are going to get a slew of $$$$ and plus some funds from the outerborough fund. So all of this cutting of bus service is purely uncalled for. If Bronx and Queens reacted the way they did. I’m really waiting on Brooklyn. 

I thought congestion pricing funds are going to capital coffers? As for Brooklyn, it's mostly gridded already there is not much change they can do.

2 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

That's probably because Southeast Queens has no problem with faster service to the subway, which is what they specifically asked for. If they have to transfer to the QT18 to go to a "local stop"that's something they're willing to deal with since that service area is usually "pass by" territory for the majority of riders in the outer portions.

12 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

With the Q41 no longer existing under this plan, they'll all be forced to take the abomination known as the QT67. The only (good?) thing about this QT67 is that Liberty Avenue is getting 24/7 service by way of 60 minute headways(which means only two buses will be on the line), something that literally no one has asked for.

Its possible that some riders would prefer the QT7 to one of the subway dash or crosstown routes.

56 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

I was referring to the route that goes by the Douglaston Center and Hospital (QT34). By serving those destinations it boosts the stats of the route.

Douglaston Center is basically a failed mall - Movie World is closed, Macy's is closed, Burger King is closed. Hillside Avenue has more commercial activity than Douglaston.

The hospital is a better reason.

5 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

Douglaston Center is basically a failed mall - Movie World is closed, Macy's is closed, Burger King is closed. Hillside Avenue has more commercial activity than Douglaston.

The hospital is a better reason.

Checkmatethechamp's argument was that the route should serve Little Neck Parkway instead of Winchester on the way to the Hospital. I was giving a reason why they chose the routing. Serves the shopping center (and is more direct)

6 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

Checkmatethechamp's argument was that the route should serve Little Neck Parkway instead of Winchester on the way to the Hospital. I was giving a reason why they chose the routing. Serves the shopping center (and is more direct)

And I'm saying the reason is bad/overexaggerated. Who wants to go to a dead shopping center with no stores in it? It's getting a Lowe's eventually, but who is trying to take the bus to go to a Lowes with a massive parking lot?

17 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

And I'm saying the reason is bad/overexaggerated. Who wants to go to a dead shopping center with no stores in it? It's getting a Lowe's eventually, but who is trying to take the bus to go to a Lowes with a massive parking lot?

They are using data in their decisions such as accessibility to jobs, density,households without cars, etc, which is available in Remix

Edited by N6 Limited

54 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

Its possible that some riders would prefer the QT7 to one of the subway dash or crosstown routes.

Ah, yes, the route that's even further away from where people want to go, and with excessive gaps between stops, to boot.

Much of no one will use that to compensate for the Q41's loss, especially with the route's schedule hardly qualifying as better...

My worry with the express cuts is that the new exp bus orders are for significantly fewer buses than we currently have that need to be retired, if I am remembering correvtly (please correct me if I am wrong, which I hope I am!). In that case, the MTA will literally force cuts because there will physically not be enough buses to keep service levels as they currently are

Council member Paul Vallone: 

In the days since the MTA announced its #Queens Bus Network Redesign, my office continues to receive complaints from Northeast Queens residents concerned with elements of the draft plan, including the proposed slashes to express bus service. In Northeast Queens, where there is no subway access and limited public transportation options for commuters, the MTA should be increasing and improving bus service, not creating a more desolate transportation desert.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

4 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

I'm not sure I understand this argument. Hillside Ave will have 3 routes, the route with 24 minute off-peak headway is the QT34 which branches off of the corridor.

Check the proposed span/frequency for the QT36. 9 minute headways rush hour, 24 minutes off-peak. Weekends is 20 minutes rush hour, 30 off-peak (whatever rush hour is considered on a weekend). It looks like the QT34/36 will run similar headways off-peak and thus be coordinated, but that coordination should extend to LNP, not just Winchester.

2 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

They are using data in their decisions such as accessibility to jobs, density,households without cars, etc, which is available in Remix

In most cases, maybe...but I don't see how they could've gotten stats that justify this particular routing decision. (Also remember that the Douglaston Shopping Center would maintain QT87 service regardless)