Queens Bus Redesign Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

@B35 via Church 61st Street is a pedestrian bridge. Do you mean they would turn around on Hamilton Place?

(And would this be in case the Q18 couldn't be maintained on 65th Place, or in addition to it?)

IDK what you're thinking of, but there isn't any pedestrian bridge at 61st st & Laurel Hill....

To answer your question though, it's the former.

11 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Keep the Q29 as-is south of Queens Center Mall (call it QT90 for now, QCM-Myrtle/81st)

Restructure the Q47 (call it QT91 for now) and run it from Atlas Park Mall to Woodside via 80th Street-Grand Avenue-79th Street-Calamus Avenue/Maurice Avenue-65th Place-Woodside Avenue.

You still run into the problem of the streets being too narrow to the point that operators don’t want the new network to include them. Aside from 80 St, Grand Ave, and Woodside Ave, all the streets for your restructured Q47 are narrow, along with Dry Harbor Rd on the current Q29.

10 minutes ago, jaf0519 said:

You still run into the problem of the streets being too narrow to the point that operators don’t want the new network to include them. Aside from 80 St, Grand Ave, and Woodside Ave, all the streets for your restructured Q47 are narrow, along with Dry Harbor Rd on the current Q29.

Penelope Ave (where the QT82 would run) is just as narrow, if not narrower than Dry Harbor Road, 79th Street, and Calamus Avenue. 

15 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Penelope Ave (where the QT82 would run) is just as narrow, if not narrower than Dry Harbor Road, 79th Street, and Calamus Avenue. 

I agree with that. I just find it strange that the MTA listed some streets in the draft plan that operators felt were to narrow to operate on, mostly streets on the Q18, Q47, and Q67, yet ignored others like Penelope Ave. I guess just because there aren’t too many other ways a bus could reach Woodhaven and 63 Dr from that area.

2 minutes ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

And they don't actually care about bus riders because they aren't bus riders. Plus, actually "doing something" about bad service (i.e. solving a problem) would deprive them of a problem to complain about later.

Yeah yeah yeah. Same old song and dance with you.  

It seems like the focus was on Queens-Brooklyn travel negating taking the (G) or (J) or going through Manhattan. I'm not too keen on the QT22 (nee Q22) and QT62 ending at the Rockaway Tpke/West Broadway intersection. Doesn't seem like a good a terminal

23 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

From what I gathered was that people were more so upset with the wait times instead of the routes themselves. The only place in queens that I saw that needed a lot of work was the Howard beach and far rockaway side of things such as the Q53 being axed. 

Yes, the wait times/frequencies are my biggest gripe with the proposed routes. Axing nearly all Sunday express bus service, too. I mean, that’s just like saying, “Please drive your car into the city! Don’t have a car? Buy one!”

Either we’ll see more people taking to the roads in their own cars and SUV’s or taking Ubers. Or we’ll see more people try to avoid going into the City entirely. The buses - and the trains too - need to run more frequently, not less, if they’re ever going to be competitive with driving/Uber. Yes, it costs money, money the State doesn’t want to spend. But, you get what you pay for. If you want to be cheap, then cheap is what you’ll get. 

The QM20 and, to a lesser extent, the QM2 serve the Clearview Gardens co-ops. Weekdays mornings, the inbound buses are rarely empty and afternoon/evening outbound buses also are well patronized, especially along Willets Point Blvd. I can’t see how they’d be able to get away with cutting service there entirely. Or with cutting express service down to almost nothing on Utopia Pkwy. At least the QM3 bus on Northern Blvd, which runs only three buses in the morning and only three outbound, has a parallel fast (but very expensive) alternative in the form of the LIRR Port Washington Line. But the QMT103, won’t have any such alternative.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

39 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I forgot the number of the route, but theres a route in NJ that goes to Fort Lee that ends right in the parking lot of an apartment complex.

You're talking about the 159, and that's a completely different story. Breezy point in particular does not want any public bus service at all. It's secluded and they do everything for it to remain that way. 

5 hours ago, NY1635 said:

I am struggling to understand how they managed to forget that North Shore Towers, Redfern and Wavecrest, Rochdale Village, and Lefrak City, and Breezy Point exists. 

LeFrak got a route connecting the eastern portion of the complex to the (7) train (QT82). Rochdale Village got a Downtown express route. Wavecrest still has the QT13. Redfern has the QT62. What is your point?

Edited by checkmatechamp13

2 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

LeFrak got a route connecting the eastern portion of the complex to the (7) train (QT82). Rochdale Village got a Downtown express route. Wavecrest still has the QT13. Redfern has the QT62. What is your point?

Rochdale, Lefrak City and North Shore Towers are Co-Ops. Redfern is pretty much NYHA Property. The city just suck at managing their own property and don't know what to do with it. 

IIRC, Most of the Rockaways is undergoing Post Sandy Recovery and rebuilding. The Beach Channel Side of the Rockaways just looks ugly while Rockaway Beach Blvd looks nice. 

Edited by NY1635

4 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

It seems like the focus was on Queens-Brooklyn travel negating taking the (G) or (J) or going through Manhattan. I'm not too keen on the QT22 (nee Q22) and QT62 ending at the Rockaway Tpke/West Broadway intersection. Doesn't seem like a good a terminal

The MTA closed the (A) Mott Avenue Station Terminal for repairs. The Queens Library in Far Rockaway is also closed for Repairs, prompting the Q22, n31, n32, and n33 to do curbside pickups at Mott and Beach 21st Street. From what I've seen, too many routes are going up and down Beach 20th, Beach 21st, Cornaga and Fernside for the sake of cost neutral practices. 

Edited by NY1635

49 minutes ago, NY1635 said:

Rochdale, Lefrak City and North Shore Towers are Co-Ops. Redfern is pretty much NYHA Property. The city just suck at managing their own property and don't know what to do with it. 

IIRC, Most of the Rockaways is undergoing Post Sandy Recovery and rebuilding. The Beach Channel Side of the Rockaways just looks ugly while Rockaway Beach Blvd looks nice. 

And what does any of this have to do with the transit service the MTA offers to those areas?

3 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

5 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

And what does any of this have to do with the transit service the MTA offers to those areas?

Don't even bother.... Save your brain cells, fam....

6 hours ago, NY1635 said:

The MTA closed the (A) Mott Avenue Station Terminal for repairs. The Queens Library in Far Rockaway is also closed for Repairs, prompting the Q22, n31, n32, and n33 to do curbside pickups at Mott and Beach 21st Street. From what I've seen, too many routes are going up and down Beach 20th, Beach 21st, Cornaga and Fernside for the sake of cost neutral practices. 

The Terminal closure is just for repairs? NICE says the terminal is closing permanently.

https://www.nicebus.com/Service-Alerts

Be Advised, effective Monday, 12/16/19 the A Train Bus Terminal on B21 St will close permanently. All n31/32/33 buses will pick up at the corner of B21 & Mott in the existing MTA Bus stop

17 minutes ago, NBTA said:

So are they doing a complete 180 and using what's on the Queens Bus Map now or are they gonna continue using the Remix style redesign?

The plan was always a first draft and final draft, the wording is just reiterating what the MTA has said from the beginning, but in a way to appease the public.

They're determined to reduce costs and increase efficiency, so they're going to continue to use Remix and tweak some lines, Remix makes it easy to make route adjustments, review costs changes, number of buses needed,etc.

On 1/20/2020 at 11:57 AM, Lex said:

Because the people there totally want big, noisy buses on their property...

They actually do. The stop literally by their doorstep sees a pretty decent amount of people during the AM and PM rush.

Edited by Cait Sith

On 1/20/2020 at 10:33 AM, NY1635 said:

I am struggling to understand how they managed to forget that North Shore Towers, Wavecrest, Redfern and Rochdale Village, and Lefrak City, and Breezy Point exists. 

Last time I checked, Wavecrest and Redfern are public housing. Breezy Point is just a neighborhood.