Queens Bus Redesign Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

It's still on their property though, which was your point.

The proverbial gate is west of Beach 169th Street. It's more akin to the situation the B36 and B74 face, with the only difference being the lack of a physical barrier to the entire thing (and the stops not being adjacent to it, proverbial or otherwise). Hell, neither the Q22 nor the Q35 actually go up to the gate a short distance west or the checkpoint well beyond that.

NST bus service is limited to the QM6 and QM36, and they're given the authority to pass through the gate to reach their stop(s). Edgewater Park has a similar setup, albeit with a local route in the mix.

53 minutes ago, Lex said:

The proverbial gate is west of Beach 169th Street. It's more akin to the situation the B36 and B74 face, with the only difference being the lack of a physical barrier to the entire thing (and the stops not being adjacent to it, proverbial or otherwise). Hell, neither the Q22 nor the Q35 actually go up to the gate a short distance west or the checkpoint well beyond that.

NST bus service is limited to the QM6 and QM36, and they're given the authority to pass through the gate to reach their stop(s). Edgewater Park has a similar setup, albeit with a local route in the mix.

I was primarily referring to North Shore Towers.

Two of the places that NY1635 mentioned(and I don't even know why, which I also ignored) is public housing. That entire area within Beach 169th is Fort Tilden, a park, a golf course and some houses on the other side if I recall. There's literally not much around there to justify anything he said about that area because most of Breezy Point is open land.

Edited by Cait Sith

1 hour ago, Cait Sith said:

I was primarily referring to North Shore Towers.

Two of the places that NY1635 mentioned(and I don't even know why, which I also ignored) is public housing. That entire area within Beach 169th is Fort Tilden, a park, a golf course and some houses on the other side if I recall. There's literally not much around there to justify anything he said about that area because most of Breezy Point is open land.

True...

45 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

@BrooklynBus The Q69 doesn't run all times. The person who wrote that petition needs to get their facts straight.

You make it sound like it’s such an egregious error. The span is being cut from 22 to 17 hours, so the point is still the same about it affecting those with late night jobs. Now it doesn’t run between 3 and 5 AM. Now service will likely stop before midnight. The only justification should be they have data that shows no one rides the bus after midnight. Most overnight routes only carry a few passengers anyway. What are those late night workers supposed to do? They most likely have low paying jobs and can’t afford Uber. 

27 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

You make it sound like it’s such an egregious error. The span is being cut from 22 to 17 hours, so the point is still the same about it affecting those with late night jobs. Now it doesn’t run between 3 and 5 AM. Now service will likely stop before midnight. The only justification should be they have data that shows no one rides the bus after midnight. Most overnight routes only carry a few passengers anyway. What are those late night workers supposed to do? They most likely have low paying jobs and can’t afford Uber. 

He acts like he never makes a mistake. Loves nitpicking. It’s annoying.

14 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

North Shore Towers wants only express buses, not local buses.

We've already been in contact with the North Shore Towers. We have a property rep. in our group, and they already have had an elected official write on their behalf. It was posted in our advocacy group. 

82859622_10218658148417329_5479476579966

82594758_10218658161137647_4960806429402

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I'm not going around signing any ole petition someone conjures up, it is what it is.... While there weren't any disqualifying factors as to why I didn't bother with this particular one, Checkmate has a point.... If you're aiming or targeting a petition at or against me, you better believe I'm going to look for any reason to nullify it - regardless (I'd go as far as to say especially) of how many signatures are on there.....

For a ridiculous plan of this nature, you don't even need to embellish anything in the slightest... The totality of what this plan is suggestive of, is that egregious.

Edited by B35 via Church

I'm tired of the inaccurate complaints. The Q66 is not being "canceled", service into Manhattan is not being "canceled" the QT61 follows most of the Q32's routing, with a north-south shift of a few blocks to the west. If you transferred from the Q66 then you'll just have to transfer at the next westbound stop. 

The trip planner should open the eyes up a bit. There is someone informing Jackson Heights residents, of the changes with a cropped out section of Jackson Heights (which is probably from the draft report), but doesn't show that the QT74 goes to Elmhurst Hospital, nor that the QT10 and QT82 goes to Queens Center and Rego Park, which are changes many may actually like.

What exactly is happening with the Q50 because there are multiple proposals that are contradicting each other. First in the Bronx redesign it's suppose to go to Co-op City during rush hours and Pelham Bay Park during other times as a LTD, but then in the Queens Redesign it says its suppose to end at Pelham Bay Park at all times and become an SBS route.

I still say that the Q50 should be the one that goes to Fordham instead of the Q44, because that makes an easier connection between a major transit hub and LGA, like they originally wanted to do before the 2010 cuts. Pelham Bay is a horrible terminal for a new LGA route, where the only subway connection is the (6) and the only crosstown buses being the Bx12 and Bx12-SBS. Here's how I would do it:

Option 1;

Q44-SBS; Parsons/Archer (E)(J) to Fordham Plaza (normal routing to West Farms, then via Bx9 route to/from Fordham Plaza, making SBS stops.)

Q50-SBS; LGA Airport to Fordham Plaza (after Whitestone Bridge, follow new QT44 path to Fordham Plaza)

Option 2;

Q44-SBS; Parsons/Archer (E)(J) to Fordham Plaza (following new QT44 route).

Q50-SBS; LGA Airport to Marble Hill-225th St (1) (via former Q44 routing to West Farms, then via Bx9 route to/from Marble Hill, making SBS stops.) Late nights, service ends at Fordham Plaza.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

What exactly is happening with the Q50 because there are multiple proposals that are contradicting each other. First in the Bronx redesign it's suppose to go to Co-op City during rush hours and Pelham Bay Park during other times as a LTD, but then in the Queens Redesign it says its suppose to end at Pelham Bay Park at all times and become an SBS route.

I still say that the Q50 should be the one that goes to Fordham instead of the Q44, because that makes an easier connection between a major transit hub and LGA, like they originally wanted to do before the 2010 cuts. Pelham Bay is a horrible terminal for a new LGA route, where the only subway connection is the (6) and the only crosstown buses being the Bx12 and Bx12-SBS. Here's how I would do it:

Option 1;

Q44-SBS; Parsons/Archer (E)(J) to Fordham Plaza (normal routing to West Farms, then via Bx9 route to/from Fordham Plaza, making SBS stops.)

Q50-SBS; LGA Airport to Fordham Plaza (after Whitestone Bridge, follow new QT44 path to Fordham Plaza)

Option 2;

Q50-SBS; LGA Airport to Marble Hill-225th St (1) (via former Q44 routing to West Farms, then via Bx9 route to/from Marble Hill, making SBS stops.) Late nights, service ends at Fordham Plaza.

So your option 2 is screw everyone going northeast of Bruckner interchange, just make your way to the Bx5? Lmao. (transfer is definitely seamless too) And Marble-Hill is definitely where everyone is trying to go. Some people really let their imagination run wild....😂🙄.

Edited by danielhg121

1 minute ago, danielhg121 said:

So your option 2 is screw everyone going northeast of Bruckner interchange, just make your way to the Bx5? Lmao. (transfer is definitely seamless too) And Marble-Hill is definitely where everyone is trying to go. Some people really let their imagination run wild....😂🙄.

Extend the Bx23 to Flushing then in that case.

I chose Marble Hill as a terminal to mimick the the M60-SBS so that the LGA routes serve ALL subway stations to the west of Fordham Road.

https://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/ny-oped-the-queens-bus-reboot-we-need-20200122-4fofy4ozxvbanpr24lmcpfalkm-story.html

A few quotes:

Growing up in Queens, long bus rides were a daily part of life. I had to take two trains and a bus just to get to high school. Why? Because the bus network has poor options for those who want to travel within the borough. 

Queens buses must do more to move people within Queens and get us to locations trains cannot. This also includes giving riders better connections to Brooklyn and the Bronx.

Riders using these routes will benefit from a more intuitive, grid-like network within Queens which will impact bunching, bus speeds and reliability, potentially saving riders a lot of valuable time.

The key is for rider input to help shape these plans, and for it to happen constructively

If you are a bus rider like me — fed up with the unreliability of service, multiple transfers, the indirect routing and the time that has been taken from you — look at this plan as a solution that will address these problems. Service hasn’t changed in over 50 years; surely the time for an intelligent rethink has arrived.

I agree.

Someone who knows what they're talking about, someone who has actually ridden the bus in Queens and has wanted to get somewhere other than Jamaica and Flushing. Not those looking at lines on a map and being concerned about who is being served direct trips to the subway.

Edited by N6 Limited

5 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Option 1;

Option 2;

Nowhere is it mentioned that the Q50 is becoming a SBS route.

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Extend the Bx23 to Flushing then in that case.

I chose Marble Hill as a terminal to mimick the the M60-SBS so that the LGA routes serve ALL subway stations to the west of Fordham Road.

Also, extending the Bx23 to Flushing just gets you the pre-2010 QBx1, minus a few peak service patterns, which they split for a reason.

21 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Tonight’s workshop in Flushing was a disgrace! People showed up to discuss their lines and were told to make comments online. What’s the point of coming for if you can’t discuss the lines you use!?? 

*photos removed*

Some people left in frustration.

I was told to make comments online as well but the guy at my table (the closest one in your second photo, although I was in a different session) actually had a pen and pad and was writing suggestions down--more broad suggestions rather than specific, but he filled out a whole page between the time that I arrived and the time that I left. I must not have had the same experiences you did because I felt the atmosphere at my table was generally productive.

Everyone I talked to said the same thing: they were this radical in the redesign on purpose so that they would get pushback and get the public to actually come out to these things. Standard negotiating tactics.

Edited by 7LineFan
remove photos

21 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Tonight’s workshop in Flushing was a disgrace! People showed up to discuss their lines and were told to make comments online. What’s the point of coming for if you can’t discuss the lines you use!?? 

EO7agO0X0AICGrj?format=jpg&name=medium

EO7agO1XkAIJFaN?format=jpg&name=large

EO7agO0XUAEPWp_?format=jpg&name=large

Some people left in frustration.

Talk about transparency.