Queens Bus Redesign Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

3 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

There's discontent in everything. 99% of related articles focused on the discontent.

You can never please everyone. The question is what percentage is happy vs unhappy. Over a half dozen communities are not happy and many aren’t even aware of any study. That says a lot. If a plan is good there is little resistance. When the Southwest Brooklyn proposals that I authored were presented to six planning Boards in 1978, three endorsed the plan, and three abstained. No board voted against the plan. The only resistance to the plan came from the changes the MTA insisted on to the plan that originated at the Department of City Planning. That is because it was a good plan. 

I highly doubt no Board would object to what the MTA is proposing today. 

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

from that article...

A woman concerned with losing Q67 service and facing a 25-minute walk to Woodside to get the train to Times Square.

The Q67? Nah, that sounds more like a choice... The lack of coverage binding Grand > 69th > QB > 58th is ridiculous, but it isn't to the point where she has to walk to the (7).... Good luck doing that shit in 25 minutes though.

A senior who is looking at a walk of 10 blocks because of changes to the Q38.

I get that you're never going to please everyone with any redesign (hell, the current network isn't exactly topping the charts in that category either).... At the same time however, reading complaints of older folks having their commutes exacerbated especially, angers me to no end.....

A retired driver wondering where bathrooms will be in transit deserts at the end of a bus line.

This will be irrelevant to the vast majority of commuters, but IMO, this is an underrated point.... I actually think of shit like this when I'm out here riding all these buses... That, and spots for these guys to grab a quick bite to eat, or get something to drink, etc....

Sunnyside resident Brandon Mosley said there is concern in western Queens that service would be reduced along Queens Boulevard, forcing people to walk farther.

“But looking at the plan, that doesn’t seem to be the case,” he said, adding that he liked what he saw at the workshop and the plan made sense to him. “It’s more that bus routes are being consolidated so I think the issue is the way the plan is getting communicated isn’t easy for people to digest.”

Mosley, who lives along the 7 train line, is wondering how the bus redesign will accommodate the trains.

“Often what happens is the subway system and the bus system are treated like two completely separate entities and don’t always coincide with each other,” he said.

Well he & his Sunnyside brethren that have that concern will still be "accommodated" with the QT61... Of course, it'll spend way more time covering more of Queens & (a little) less time in Manhattan, over the current Q32....

I just want to see which between the two routes (QT61 / QT75) they'd value more....

Marcos Perez lives in Williamsburg and said it takes about two hours to go see his family in Jackson Heights. Rather than take the G train to the 7 train to a bus, he can Uber there in 20 minutes. But he likes what he saw at the workshop.

“What I like is that they have a new bus going straight from Williamsburg to Jackson Heights,” Perez said. “I think that’s perfect.”

:blink:

Wait..... What ?

A Middle Village resident said the plan to terminate the Q53 at Queens Center mall would change his commute a lot. And he said not having the Q38 go to the M train in Middle Village would mean walking 10 more minutes and taking another bus.

“It’s not the end of the world but I’d rather not,” he said. “I enjoy my current setup.”

He added, “A lot of my fears are still present but I’m encouraged that they seem open to feedback.”

You agree with the plan, fine... You don't agree with this plan, whatever... But this obliviousness I would expect from a suburbanite talking about public buses; this is clearly someone not paying attention.... The plan calls for eliminating the Q53, f*** is this person talking about!?! The Q52 always terminated at QCM, so I don't want to hear that's what he meant :lol:

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

I get that you're never going to please everyone with any redesign (hell, the current network isn't exactly topping the charts in that category either).... At the same time however, reading complaints of older folks having their commutes exacerbated especially, angers me to no end.....

I agree, haha. They act like they don't walk when they get to their destination.

You know what, that's not a bad idea, Like delivery service to B/Os. There's all these bus tracking apps, and bustime informs you of the bus number, they can have food delivered right to the bus, lol

You agree with the plan, fine... You don't agree with this plan, whatever... But this obliviousness I would expect from a suburbanite talking about public buses; this is clearly someone not paying attention.... The plan calls for eliminating the Q53, f*** is this person talking about!?! The Q52 always terminated at QCM, so I don't want to hear that's what he meant :lol:

He meant the SBS service, he probably does not use the bus much south of Metropolitan Ave,  the Q52 is basically a shorturn.

55 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

He meant the SBS service, he probably does not use the bus much south of Metropolitan Ave,  the Q52 is basically a shorturn.

South of Met' av has nothing to do with it....

I understand he's referring to the SBS.... Someone from Middle Village that's claiming that a Q53 truncation to QCM would change their commute a lot, is somebody currently riding it past QCM due north... If a truncation to QCM would greatly affect your commute, how would you not pick up on the fact that the route would no longer exist?

55 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

I agree, haha. They act like they don't walk when they get to their destination.

Yeah, to opt to walk from (the Q67's service area in) Maspeth to Woodside to catch the subway & pin it on the flaws of the plan, is someone being melodramatic.... There's being emotional/reactionary, and then there's being ridiculous to the point where you practically tarnish any legitimate concerns you do have.....

3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

South of Met' av has nothing to do with it....

I understand he's referring to the SBS.... Someone from Middle Village that's claiming that a Q53 truncation to QCM would change their commute a lot, is somebody currently riding it past QCM due north... If a truncation to QCM would greatly affect your commute, how would you not pick up on the fact that the route would no longer exist?

I mean, there are people that think the Q66 is being canceled and that there will be no bus on Northern Blvd.

Yeah, to opt to walk from (the Q67's service area in) Maspeth to Woodside to catch the subway & pin it on the flaws of the plan, is someone being melodramatic.... There's being emotional/reactionary, and then there's being ridiculous to the point where you practically tarnish any legitimate concerns you do have.....

I agree.

as a glendale resident, one of the things i hate hate hate about this plan is how they are reducing quick access to a subway. I can take the Q47 bus to the 69th st  7 train station (or the Q29 bus to 82nd st station 7 train station ). with this new design, i now have to go further out of my way and take to the bus to either 103st station 7 train station or main st 7 train station. my commute to manhattan is going to increase

Edited by azspeedbullet

38 minutes ago, azspeedbullet said:

as a glendale resident, one of the things i hate hate hate about this plan is how they are reducing quick access to a subway. I can take the Q47 bus to the 69th st  7 train station (or the Q29 bus to 82nd st station 7 train station ). with this new design, i now have to go further out of my way and take to the bus to either 103st station 7 train station or main st 7 train station. my commute to manhattan is going to increase

Maybe I'm missing something but the QT82 and QT86 go straight to the QB line. QT86 goes to Forest Hills 71st Ave (E)(F)(M)(R), the QT82 goes to 63rd Drive (M)(R) station.

QT87 (prob a 10 min walk) goes straight up to the (7)(M)(R) 

Do you absolutely have to take the (7) ?

10 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

At the same time however, reading complaints of older folks having their commutes exacerbated especially, angers me to no end.....

In their defense, Access-a-Ride isn't exactly a perfect solution either.

Speaking of, wait 'till the (MTA) restructuring plan gets around to Paratransit... If you think their complaining is annoying now, wait about 6 to 12 months...

7 hours ago, N6 Limited said:
I mean, there are people that think the Q66 is being canceled and that there will be no bus on Northern Blvd.

Now those are the people that aren't trying to understand the plan....

5 hours ago, paulrivera said:

Speaking of, wait 'till the (MTA) restructuring plan gets around to Paratransit... If you think their complaining is annoying now, wait about 6 to 12 months...

You frame this reply like my post is somehow defending Access-a-Ride.... Your point is an addition to what I'm saying, not anything contrary to it.... After what my father went through dealing with it, f*** Access-a-Ride....

6 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

Maybe I'm missing something but the QT82 and QT86 go straight to the QB line. QT86 goes to Forest Hills 71st Ave (E)(F)(M)(R), the QT82 goes to 63rd Drive (M)(R) station.

QT87 (prob a 10 min walk) goes straight up to the (7)(M)(R) 

Do you absolutely have to take the (7) ?

He said in another post that he takes the (7) to Long Island City (he didn't specify which station).... I wouldn't want to xfer from the QB line to the 7 every morning either, nor would I take the QT82 from Glendale to Corona Plaza to catch it (especially in comparison to taking the Q47 to 74th)...

Separate of anything this plan is suggesting, quite honestly, If I was commuting from that pocket of Queens, I would do everything in my power to avoid taking (7)....

See, I used to work in Woodside - the lengths I went to avoid the (7), was to take the B46 > Q35 > Q53 every morning (this was before the advent of SBS).... Personal choice.... When I didn't feel like riding to Rockaway Park, sometimes I would do the Q53 > Q7 > B14 & walk from Utica/Eastern Pkwy to get home.... I'm in a minuscule minority that doesn't mind commuting utilizing bunch of buses (and are not remotely implicating anyone else do so), so it's nothing for me to speak on most commuting patterns that involves some bus in this city....

32 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

He said in another post that he takes the (7) to Long Island City (he didn't specify which station).... I wouldn't want to xfer from the QB line to the 7 every morning either, nor would I take the QT82 from Glendale to Corona Plaza to catch it (especially in comparison to taking the Q47 to 74th)...

correct. i need to go the 33rd station so the 7 train is very important to me.  based on the new plan, i will have to take the bus to the 71th QB station and take the EFMR a few stops to the 7 train which also increases my commute since now i will be waiting for 2 trains instead of just one. It seems with this new plan, my average 45min commute will now be taking over 60-90 minutes :(

Edited by azspeedbullet

10 minutes ago, azspeedbullet said:

correct. i need to go the 33rd station so the 7 train is very important to me.  based on the new plan, i will have to take the bus to the 71th QB station and take the EFMR a few stops to the 7 train which also increases my commute since now i will be waiting for 2 trains instead of just one. It seems with this new plan, my average 45min commute will now be taking over 60-90 minutes :(

I used to take the (7) to 33rd back when I was in college ... Used to hate taking the (5) to GCT to xfer to the (7)... The bldg. owners eventually set up free minibus shuttles that picked up/dropped folks off at either Court Sq. or at Hunterspoint (7).... For me, on most days, this meant taking the (F) to the (G) more instead (this was well before the G got extended to Church av & when it ran all the way to 71st - Continental).....

To your situation though, yeah, you definitely got a gripe.... I'm not seeing the rationale behind having you guys backtrack to get to QB on both those routes (on the QT82 or the QT86)....

Personally though, if I were in your situation, I would take the QT82 to the QT60 & call it a day.... I don't mind getting up earlier to take a couple buses (matter fact, I prefer it).... Of course, that depends on the span of those routes, but still, I would not take an overcrowded QB local and an overcrowded 7 train just to get to 33rd...

17 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

I used to take the (7) to 33rd back when I was in college ... Used to hate taking the (5) to GCT to xfer to the (7)... The bldg. owners eventually set up free minibus shuttles that picked up/dropped folks off at either Court Sq. or at Hunterspoint (7).... For me, on most days, this meant taking the (F) to the (G) more instead (this was well before the G got extended to Church av & when it ran all the way to 71st - Continental).....

i know which building you are talking about, to this day, they still run those mini buses. i work in a building that is a few blocks away from this building.

15 minutes ago, azspeedbullet said:

i know which building you are talking about, to this day, they still run those mini buses. i work in a building that is a few blocks away from this building.

Yeah, 30-20 Thomson.... What's in that building now anyway? Haven't really ventured over there in a while....

11 hours ago, paulrivera said:

They've appointed someone as head of accessibility right? I don't think they'd allow changes to be too drastic right?

5 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Separate of anything this plan is suggesting, quite honestly, If I was commuting from that pocket of Queens, I would do everything in my power to avoid taking (7)....

See, I used to work in Woodside - the lengths I went to avoid the (7), was to take the B46 > Q35 > Q53 every morning (this was before the advent of SBS).... Personal choice.... When I didn't feel like riding to Rockaway Park, sometimes I would do the Q53 > Q7 > B14 & walk from Utica/Eastern Pkwy to get home.... I'm in a minuscule minority that doesn't mind commuting utilizing bunch of buses (and are not remotely implicating anyone else do so), so it's nothing for me to speak on most commuting patterns that involves some bus in this city....

Interestingly enough the Q35 and the Q53 are buses that actually move, and not caught at lights all day.

I don't mind taking buses that don't sit in traffic. I've taken the Q27 from Queens Village to the Q44 to go to the Bronx instead of taking the subway.

4 hours ago, azspeedbullet said:

Have you considered taking the (E) to Queens Plaza? I went to Long Island City last week, same area, I took the (E) to Queens Plaza and walked across the yard. That would be 2 stops for you, 10 min ride. 

5 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

You frame this reply like my post is somehow defending Access-a-Ride.... Your point is an addition to what I'm saying, not anything contrary to it.... After what my father went through dealing with it, f*** Access-a-Ride

Not saying you’re defending AAR, but the point is the only viable alternative for seniors is a clusterf**k of its own.

12 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

They've appointed someone as head of accessibility right? I don't think they'd allow changes to be too drastic right?

$6 billion state budget deficit + loss leader in Access-a-Ride + Cuomo loyalists on the MTA board = someone’s bound to do something underhanded.

2 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

Interestingly enough the Q35 and the Q53 are buses that actually move, and not caught at lights all day.

Sure - However, that QT82 wouldn't fall into that category though....

2 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

Have you considered taking the (E) to Queens Plaza? I went to Long Island City last week, same area, I took the (E) to Queens Plaza and walked across the yard. That would be 2 stops for you, 10 min ride. 

I'd like to see his answer to that also, although I doubt he has.... In either case, I wouldn't suggest anyone take that walk from Queens Plaza to those bldg's along/around Thomson av.... There's a difference between doing that walk once or twice & doing that as part of a daily commute.... If he's going to have to xfer from the QB local at 74th, he may as well do so with the (7) to 33rd, over taking the (E) to Queens Plaza....

Speaking of which, where are you getting 2 stops from? The guy lives in Glendale... 2 stops from Queens Plaza would put him in Forest Hills... There's no bus that directly takes you from Forest Hills subway to Glendale.... The Q23 only goes as far west as the ForestView Crescent apartments & that is no cakewalk to get from there to residential Glendale.... Just getting from those apartments to Woodhaven blvd. is a pain in the ass.....

6 hours ago, azspeedbullet said:

Those mini buses are also used for employees for Department of Design and Construction and School Construction Authority and the old Devry building was also there.. Interned at DDC years ago and went to LAGCC right across the street. Same side as DDC. 

5 hours ago, azspeedbullet said:

it is still part of the college and now BARD high school is there

You mean Bard College? Correct. Said location is not affiliated with CUNY. 

3 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Those mini buses are also used for employees for Department of Design and Construction and School Construction Authority and the old Devry building was also there.. Interned at DDC years ago and went to LAGCC right across the street. Same side as DDC. 

When I was going to school when DeVry had that building (30-20), it was only for anyone that was an employee of some company running out of there, or for Devry kids.... 30-30 Thomson (DDC) had their own shuttle... You mean to tell me they've merged shuttle operations? LMAO !

3 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

You mean Bard College? Correct. Said location is not affiliated with CUNY. 

Bard College is upstate, like you're going towards Kingston.... Quite sure he's talking about Bard high school.

6 hours ago, azspeedbullet said:

it is still part of the college and now BARD high school is there

Use the Q66 for Flushing, Woodside, LIC Travel. The (7) is a deathtrap and full of LAGCC, Avation High, US Open Fans, and Citi Field Patrons all drunk and wasted.

The (7) goes express whenever it feels like it. I used to work at the US Open and remember taking the bus home from Flushing using the Q65, n20G, or Q17 at night.

Those drunks tourists stumble on the boardwalk and are bound for Manhattan.

5 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

When I was going to school when DeVry had that building (30-20), it was only for anyone that was an employee of some company running out of there, or for Devry kids.... 30-30 Thomson (DDC) had their own shuttle... You mean to tell me they've merged shuttle operations? LMAO !

Bard College is upstate, like you're going towards Kingston.... Quite sure he's talking about Bard high school.

I left LAGCC & DDC in 2005 and I was recently in that area for the first time like a few weeks ago and from what it appeared they merged the ops   I saw the atrium shuttle stop at 30-30 + 30-20 which is the SCA building extension and bard high school. 

2 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

the mini buses is also used by NYC DOT, they have offices at 3030 too. Also at 3030 on the 5th floor was some college office, forgot the name but i remember seeing signs all over the place

2 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

I left LAGCC & DDC in 2005 and I was recently in that area for the first time like a few weeks ago and from what it appeared they merged the ops   I saw the atrium shuttle stop at 30-30 + 30-20 which is the SCA building extension and bard high school. 

19 minutes ago, azspeedbullet said:

the mini buses is also used by NYC DOT, they have offices at 3030 too. Also at 3030 on the 5th floor was some college office, forgot the name but i remember seeing signs all over the place

When I was at 30-20, it was mostly empty; of course, this was 20 years ago -_-....  It was just the Devry, a small film company, and a staffing agency IIRC.... You would sometimes hear an echo if you did something as simple as clapping or coughing if you walked outside the classrooms as classes were in session....

Yep, that was it - The Atrium.... They were black shuttle buses (mini-buses), with the corny logo on all 4 sides of the bus..... haha... Anyway, good to know.... Things have definitely changed since I went to school out there...

I'd like to see his answer to that also, although I doubt he has.... In either case, I wouldn't suggest anyone take that walk from Queens Plaza to those bldg's along/around Thomson av.... There's a difference between doing that walk once or twice & doing that as part of a daily commute.... If he's going to have to xfer from the QB local at 74th, he may as well do so with the (7) to 33rd, over taking the (E) to Queens Plaza....

Speaking of which, where are you getting 2 stops from? The guy lives in Glendale... 2 stops from Queens Plaza would put him in Forest Hills... There's no bus that directly takes you from Forest Hills subway to Glendale.... The Q23 only goes as far west as the ForestView Crescent apartments & that is no cakewalk to get from there to residential Glendale.... Just getting from those apartments to Woodhaven blvd. is a pain in the ass.....

He said he can take the Q47 or the Q29 to the (7) , which would indicate he'd be able to take the QT86 to Forest Hills.