Queens Bus Redesign Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Lex said:

Because we totally don't have anything of the sort already...

When you find it, let me know.

I know you're referring to the unlimited ride cards, but no, this is not the same.

In fact, I'd go as far to say that unlimited transfers over a 2-3 hour period would be more beneficial than the current UR cards. Mostly due to the fact that you only save a few dollars (if you travel twice a day for at least five days) these days.

Pair that with fare capping and we might have a winner.

Edited by LTA1992

18 minutes ago, LTA1992 said:

When you find it, let me know.

I know you're referring to the unlimited ride cards, but no, this is not the same.

In fact, I'd go as far to say that unlimited transfers over a 2-3 hour period would be more beneficial than the current UR cards. Mostly due to the fact that you only save a few dollars (if you travel twice a day for at least five days) these days.

Pair that with fare capping and we might have a winner.

What you're describing is something that benefits so few people (in general) that it's not worth doing. We'd be better off reviving the 1-Day Fun Pass for that.

QT61: I think starting QT61 from 23rd Av/Ditmars Blvd, down 23rd Av, following proposal QT61 to 5th Av, down 5th Av to 39th, 7th, 32nd Sts, Mad Av, 59th St, following proposal QT61 bus route to 23rd Av/Ditmars Blvd from QT61 will use 83rd St from Roosevelt Av to Astoria, 85th St to 23rd Av.

QT75 could go down 7th-6th Av between 49th-50th Sts and 32nd Sts.

Edited by FamousNYLover

5 hours ago, FamousNYLover said:

I was wondering why JFK routing QT buses will not going into Terminal 5? There's properly high demand at JFK Airport Terminal 5 after PANY&NJ increased Airtrain JFK fare to $7.75.

Because of the construction that is going to start at JFK Airport soon, Port Authority doesn’t want buses going to the terminals. That is why the QT14 and QT20 are terminating at the Lefferts Blvd AirTrain Station and the QT68 is terminating at the Federal Circle AirTrain Station.

3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Wait, when did this happen? I thought it was still 5 bucks....

GTFOH.... I wouldn't pay that shit just based off principle.

Sometime last fall, I think....I forgot.

Unfortunately for me, I had to use the AirTrain(I just came back from the West Coast), and it was too cold for me to even bother taking the bus.

On 2/28/2020 at 3:16 PM, B35 via Church said:

Wait, when did this happen? I thought it was still 5 bucks....

GTFOH.... I wouldn't pay that shit just based off principle.

If you ever think how the MTA runs rail systems is disappointing, all you need is a reminder that NJT and Port Authority exists.

It makes no sense for the AirTrain because it doesn't even have drivers, so how are the costs increasing?

On 3/1/2020 at 2:00 PM, bobtehpanda said:

If you ever think how the MTA runs rail systems is disappointing, all you need is a reminder that NJT and Port Authority exists.

It makes no sense for the AirTrain because it doesn't even have drivers, so how are the costs increasing?

I’m not surprised honestly. If it wasn’t for people fighting to keep the fare at $2.75 the (MTA) would have been charged people $3.50 or $4 for a single ride. It is bad enough some people can not afford to pay, however the MTA is simply falling in line with the demands of capitalism. 

On 3/1/2020 at 2:00 PM, bobtehpanda said:

The costs were increased to fund AirtrainLGA, renovating JFK, and for rebuilding the Newark AirTrain.

https://gothamist.com/news/port-authority-jacks-airtrain-fares-775

8 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

The costs were increased to fund AirtrainLGA, renovating JFK, and for rebuilding the Newark AirTrain.

https://gothamist.com/news/port-authority-jacks-airtrain-fares-775

Ridiculous. Projects like those are why the PFC charges on tickets exist.

What are the airlines going to do, protest by moving to Stewart and MacArthur?

I noticed on the Remix page some changes were made on the QT44 and QT50.

For both routes there are two versions on Remix, with the QT44 having one called the QT44 SBS and the other QT44, as well as only one having overnight service on weekends every 34-35 minutes, and every 9 minutes on Sundays instead of every 8.

Even though the route profile for the QT50 only shows it heading to Pelham Bay and not Co-op City, it seems that the MTA isn’t eliminating service to Co-op CIty. On the Remix page, there are two QT50’s listed, but they are different.

The first one has two service patterns, but only A has trips attributed to it. 

The second one has three service patterns

A is between LaGuardia Airport and Pelham Bay Park (6) (518 weekly trips)

B is between LaGuardia Airport and Co-op City-Earhart Ln (235 weekly trips), fits with the Co-op CIty segment being rush hours only

C is between Monsignor Scanlan High School and Pelham Bay Park (6) (5 weekly trips), one PM school tripper daily

Overall the main difference between the two QT50s is stop spacing, as for some reason the first one makes three stops in the Bronx with Monsignor Scanlan High School, Tremont Ave, and Pelham Bay Park (6), while the second QT50 makes seven stops in the Bronx up to Pelham Bay, followed by Co-op City stops.

32 minutes ago, jaf0519 said:

I noticed on the Remix page some changes were made on the QT44 and QT50.

For both routes there are two versions on Remix, with the QT44 having one called the QT44 SBS and the other QT44, as well as only one having overnight service on weekends every 34-35 minutes, and every 9 minutes on Sundays instead of every 8.

Even though the route profile for the QT50 only shows it heading to Pelham Bay and not Co-op City, it seems that the MTA isn’t eliminating service to Co-op CIty. On the Remix page, there are two QT50’s listed, but they are different.

The first one has two service patterns, but only A has trips attributed to it. 

The second one has three service patterns

A is between LaGuardia Airport and Pelham Bay Park (6) (518 weekly trips)

B is between LaGuardia Airport and Co-op City-Earhart Ln (235 weekly trips), fits with the Co-op CIty segment being rush hours only

C is between Monsignor Scanlan High School and Pelham Bay Park (6) (5 weekly trips), one PM school tripper daily

Overall the main difference between the two QT50s is stop spacing, as for some reason the first one makes three stops in the Bronx with Monsignor Scanlan High School, Tremont Ave, and Pelham Bay Park (6), while the second QT50 makes seven stops in the Bronx up to Pelham Bay, followed by Co-op City stops.

Is it really necessary to continue to have Q50 service into Co-OP City?

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Is it really necessary to continue to have Q50 service into Co-OP City?

There's a sizable amount of people (from Flushing, and not coming off the subway either) who head past PBP into Co-Op City. Most of the people on the buses past PBP going south get off in Flushing as well.

The issue with Q50 serving Co-Op City is not that it serves it, but how it serves it. The current routing in Co-Op City should not be a thing. There's way too much unnecessary runtime and mileage added with the way it currently runs.

29 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The issue with Q50 serving Co-Op City is not that it serves it, but how it serves it. The current routing in Co-Op City should not be a thing. There's way too much unnecessary runtime and mileage added with the way it currently runs.

This is exactly why I compare its route up there unfavorably to the BxM7.

They doubled up on the Q35 and Q52 proposals, though I can't exactly tell what the difference is for the latter. As for the former, the second one has no stops in Brooklyn aside from the terminus.

Yeah, most people who get on the Q35 are those who stay on the bus for the entire Brooklyn leg, but that's no reason to try to revert to a closed-door policy, especially with the B41 still failing to adequately meet demand. And no, they're still not listening to people who are saying that the bus is just fine on Newport Avenue.

One thing I would want to ask...especially since it would save money: why not have the Q53 and Q70 as one route? This may require a contract renegotiation to allow this, but this is how it would work, rebranded as the Q53 all the way.

1. Pull-out from LGA to Jackson Heights with Driver A.
  2. Driver A does a trip to LGA and returns, to Roosevelt and 74.
  3. Driver A gets off, and Driver B takes over to the Rockaways
  4. Driver B arrives back in Jackson Heights, gets off, and Driver C takes over to LGA.

(It could also work where the pullout is southbound.)

The Q44 SBS currently works in a similar matter, with driver changes at Main Street and 39 Avenue/

Operationally: these signs would exist as the main ones...northbound:

• Q53 Select Bus
  • Q53 LaGuardia Link
  • Q53 via X-Bay/Woodhaven
  • Q53 via Broadway
  • Q53 LGA Term B-D-C

or

• Q53 Select Bus
  • Q53 via Broadway
  • Q53 74 St Jackson Hts LAST STOP

Southbound

• Q53 LaGuardia Link
  • Q53 LAST STOP:
  • Q53 Jackson Heights
  • Q53 (E)(F)(M)(R)(7) 

or

• Q53 Select Bus
  • Q53 via Broadway
  • Q53 Rockaway Park

As for customers at Woodside, they can take the (7) to 74th Street and then go downstairs for the Q53, or use a rerouted Q70 that only runs Woodside-Jackson Heights-Marine Air Terminal (this would be for LGA customers flying jetBlue, the exclusive tenant at the Marine Air Terminal).

During late nights, 12:30 AM to 4:30 AM, the Q70 would not run, and the Q53 would run to Woodside, with no Q53 service to LGA. The Q33 would instead run inside the airport.

35 minutes ago, aemoreira81 said:

One thing I would want to ask...especially since it would save money: why not have the Q53 and Q70 as one route? This may require a contract renegotiation to allow this, but this is how it would work, rebranded as the Q53 all the way.

1. Pull-out from LGA to Jackson Heights with Driver A.
  2. Driver A does a trip to LGA and returns, to Roosevelt and 74.
  3. Driver A gets off, and Driver B takes over to the Rockaways
  4. Driver B arrives back in Jackson Heights, gets off, and Driver C takes over to LGA.

(It could also work where the pullout is southbound.)

The Q44 SBS currently works in a similar matter, with driver changes at Main Street and 39 Avenue/

Operationally: these signs would exist as the main ones...northbound:

• Q53 Select Bus
  • Q53 LaGuardia Link
  • Q53 via Broadway
  • Q53 LGA Term B-D-C

or

• Q53 Select Bus
  • Q53 via Broadway
  • Q53 74 St Jackson Hts LAST STOP

Southbound

• Q53 LaGuardia Link
  • Q53 LAST STOP:
  • Q53 Jackson Heights
  • Q53 (E)(F)(M)(R)(7) 

or

• Q53 Select Bus
  • Q53 via Broadway
  • Q53 Rockaway Park

As for customers at Woodside, they can take the (7) to 74th Street and then go downstairs for the Q53, or use a rerouted Q70 that only runs Woodside-Jackson Heights-Marine Air Terminal (this would be for LGA customers flying jetBlue, the exclusive tenant at the Marine Air Terminal).

During late nights, 12:30 AM to 4:30 AM, the Q70 would not run, and the Q53 would run to Woodside, with no Q53 service to LGA. The Q33 would instead run inside the airport.

The vast majority of people going to and from LGA on the Q70 come from the subway. Why would you want to increase unreliability for those going into the airport by having buses coming from the Rockaways and dealing with everything on its way to Jackson Heights? 

This type of route would be a disaster (both for the passengers and the BOs) during the summer period. Buses would take forever to go through LaGuardia Airport because of the high volumes, there's a heavy demand for service to the beach, and overall reliability would tank. You'd need a whole lot of relief buses on deck just to address the large amount of gaps a route like this would produce. Something similar would also happen during the holiday season, but instead of beach demand, replace that which heavy traffic congestion on Queens Boulevard/Woodhaven Boulevard/Broadway and demand to QCM. 

There's also a good chunk of people who use the Q53 to Woodside, so now all of a sudden, there's no direct link to Woodside from wherever they're boarding. The (7) just isn't an adequate replacement, because the time you spend going up and down from the El to/from the bus stops is not insignificant. 

You're inconveniencing a lot of people for little benefit. Anyone who really needs to go to LaGuardia Airport from areas along Woodhaven Boulevard can transfer to the Q70 at Jackson Heights. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

20 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

One thing I would want to ask...especially since it would save money: why not have the Q53 and Q70 as one route?

Lmfao.... I happen to remember your last inquiry regarding the Q70; however long ago it was....

Phasing out the Q70 to have Q53's run to LGA during most of the day, for no other reason than due to the Q53 being an articulated route, is at the very minimum, shortsighted...

21 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The vast majority of people going to and from LGA on the Q70 come from the subway. Why would you want to increase unreliability for those going into the airport by having buses coming from the Rockaways and dealing with everything on its way to Jackson Heights? 

This type of route would be a disaster (both for the passengers and the BOs) during the summer period. Buses would take forever to go through LaGuardia Airport because of the high volumes, there's a heavy demand for service to the beach, and overall reliability would tank. You'd need a whole lot of relief buses on deck just to address the large amount of gaps a route like this would produce. Something similar would also happen during the holiday season, but instead of beach demand, replace that which heavy traffic congestion on Queens Boulevard/Woodhaven Boulevard/Broadway and demand to QCM. 

There's also a good chunk of people who use the Q53 to Woodside, so now all of a sudden, there's no direct link to Woodside from wherever they're boarding. The (7) just isn't an adequate replacement, because the time you spend going up and down from the El to/from the bus stops is not insignificant. 

You're inconveniencing a lot of people for little benefit. Anyone who really needs to go to LaGuardia Airport from areas along Woodhaven Boulevard can transfer to the Q70 at Jackson Heights. 

See above.... This inquiry of his has squat to do with wanting to connect Woodhaven blvd. riders directly to LGA & it wouldn't only be during the summer period & (certain) holidays that would have the combining of Q53 & Q70 operations looming disastrous.... He wouldn't suggest Q33's run to LGA during overnight hours if the former was the case; the Q33 has more overnight service than the Q53 does.....

This is his way of trying to address capacity issues on the Q70.

On 3/5/2020 at 4:27 PM, Lex said:

They doubled up on the Q35 and Q52 proposals, though I can't exactly tell what the difference is for the latter. As for the former, the second one has no stops in Brooklyn aside from the terminus.

Yeah, most people who get on the Q35 are those who stay on the bus for the entire Brooklyn leg, but that's no reason to try to revert to a closed-door policy, especially with the B41 still failing to adequately meet demand. And no, they're still not listening to people who are saying that the bus is just fine on Newport Avenue.

I would imagine we need to see the Brooklyn redesign to know if there or stops and if there are, where they are.