Queens Bus Redesign Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

I've been seeing something that frightens me on Long Island. A lot of Queens residents are being told to head to Valley Stream Medical by Green Acres. The Clerks at Valley Stream won't verify the information and have been pushing people over to the electric kiosks. The biggest shock were seeing Queens Residents wait over 2 hours. The problem? The Eye Doctor on Mill Road just up and quit her job and the Physician is over booked with a massive backlog.

These Queens Residents want access to Children's Hospital over at Lake Success for their children to get vaccinated. A lot of South Queens resident can't access it by car and they don't know that the Children's Hopsital or the Medical Center over at Marcus Avenue still exists, but is inaccessible without the use of the n4 to Lynbrook and n25 to Great Neck.

I've been struggling to understand what these health insurance companies are telling these parents. All I know is that I'm seeing NYU and Winthrop Merger to compete with South Nassau and Blue Cross, and Northwell Health and LIJ. 

I think the redesign on the Q43 is meant to give Queens Residents access to LIJ with their kids. I am telling you this because LI mothers and nurses are heartless. I just saw an old lady being left at the waiting room for over a hour!

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, NY1635 said:

I've been seeing something that frightens me on Long Island. A lot of Queens residents are being told to head to Valley Stream Medical by Green Acres. The Clerks at Valley Stream won't verify the information and have been pushing people over to the electric kiosks. The biggest shock were seeing Queens Residents wait over 2 hours. The problem? The Eye Doctor on Mill Road just up and quit her job and the Physician is over booked with a massive backlog.

These Queens Residents want access to Children's Hospital over at Lake Success for their children to get vaccinated. A lot of South Queens resident can't access it by car and they don't know that the Children's Hopsital or the Medical Center over at Marcus Avenue still exists, but is inaccessible without the use of the n4 to Lynbrook and n25 to Great Neck.

I've been struggling to understand what these health insurance companies are telling these parents. All I know is that I'm seeing NYU and Winthrop Merger to compete with South Nassau and Blue Cross, and Northwell Health and LIJ. 

I think the redesign on the Q43 is meant to give Queens Residents access to LIJ with their kids. I am telling you this because LI mothers and nurses are heartless. I just saw an old lady being left at the waiting room for over a hour!

What does all of this have to do with the Queens re-design? 

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

nothing. nothing at all. seconds of my life that I'll never be able to recover, reading that hogshit. repeatedly doing this bullshit... blatantly going off topic, miles away from being even close to the thread topic. 

3 hours ago, NY1635 said:

What in the actual f*** are you talking about with this nonsense???? The something you need to see, is one of these doctors from one of these hospitals you're on here formulating this conspiracy about - including that children's hospital.... Whatever the hell's been going on with you upstairs these past couple months is not quite right & quite frankly, you need to abstain from posting on any internet forum.

2 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

IDK man, some shit about the QT36 (Q43 revamp) accessing LIJ for Queens residents, as if it's the first route to do so....

As if the Q46 doesn't exist....

Edited by B35 via Church

31 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

What in the actual f*** are you talking about with this nonsense???? The something you need to see, is one of these doctors from one of these hospitals you're on here formulating this conspiracy about - including that children's hospital.... Whatever the hell's been going on with you upstairs these past couple months is not quite right & quite frankly, you need to abstain from posting on any internet forum.

IDK man, some shit about the QT36 (Q43 revamp) accessing LIJ for Queens residents, as if it's the first route to do so....

As if the Q46 doesn't exist....

The sad part is that this is not the first time he attempted to post this.....

Last week(or the week prior), he tried to post this same exact thing....and it got flagged via Mod Queue. I don't know who approved it this time around, it sure as hell wasn't me, and I don't think Deucey did it.....

He's fishing for attention like a motherf**ker. I've warned him more than once about this type of shit, now he's canned for 30 days.

Edited by Cait Sith

• 1 month later...
On 2/22/2020 at 10:27 AM, B35 via Church said:

In a redesigned network, you don't necessarily have to consider any of the individual routes in the network you're trying to redesign....

5ce.jpg

I understand that, but after looking at the Bronx redesign, they didn't come up with some oddball combinations. Like I said in the other thread, I'm scared of what they'll do to Brooklyn. Didn't mean to necropost

1 hour ago, Q43LTD said:

I understand that, but after looking at the Bronx redesign, they didn't come up with some oddball combinations. Like I said in the other thread, I'm scared of what they'll do to Brooklyn. Didn't mean to necropost

Different people leading the charge of the redesigns.

3 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

They made a sticking point out of how long ago it was since the Queens bus network's been changed..... Regardless, there doesn't have to be any uniformity when you do whatever the hell you want....

Anyone that utilizes buses in this city and/or has a certain fondness for the bus system should be concerned...

I really wish that the MTA used the Map Designs from the 70s or 80s.  I think they just merely re numbered the Queens Buses from 1 to 105 and got rid of the Limited Stop Service and QM designations. At least hire Marketing Firms to sell the idea of new bus service better. 

On 4/24/2020 at 9:48 AM, NY1635 said:

I really wish that the MTA used the Map Designs from the 70s or 80s.  I think they just merely re numbered the Queens Buses from 1 to 105 and got rid of the Limited Stop Service and QM designations. At least hire Marketing Firms to sell the idea of new bus service better. 

...because going back to designating different colors for either direction of travel on the maps (they hardly look at anyway), would TOTALLY get more people into using the buses....

...as if the MTA as a whole, doesn't have an image problem (of which antiquity factors into)....

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

...because going back to designating different colors for either direction of travel on the maps (they hardly look at anyway), would TOTALLY get more people into using the buses....

...as if the MTA as a whole, doesn't have an image problem (of which antiquity factors into)....

To be fair, anything would be considered an upgrade over the current bus map.

12 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

Wasn't the Manhattan bus map color coded by direction?

Yeah, and the route colors shown on the other boroughs were even more bland/monotone.... Case in point:

OoI93eJ.gif

The 1985 Queens bus map (originally uploaded by @Harry)

Being that almost all of SE Queens' routes are NYCT, the routes were colored blue.... The Q110 (former JBL) is the only one that isn't...
NE Queens is worse - it's all one blotch of blue.....  (I) Can't justify going back to that....

14 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Yeah, and the route colors shown on the other boroughs were even more bland/monotone.... Case in point:

OoI93eJ.gif

Being that almost all of SE Queens' routes are NYCT, the routes were colored blue.... The Q110 (former JBL) is the only one that isn't...
NE Queens is worse - it's all one blotch of blue.....  (I) Can't justify going back to that....

I can't either. In the case of the Queens Bus maps of yesteryear, they were color coded by operator. (Don't know what color Command would have been on the Brooklyn Bus Map). When the maps got to the current format, they used shapes to differentiate the operator. Until 2008, that is

3 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

I can't either. In the case of the Queens Bus maps of yesteryear, they were color coded by operator. (Don't know what color Command would have been on the Brooklyn Bus Map). When the maps got to the current format, they used shapes to differentiate the operator. Until 2008, that is

Yep, diamond for GBL, triangle for JBL, oval for triboro, circle for QSC, and the rounded square for the NYCT routes....

As for Command, probably would've made it a darker shade of green (similar to the current color for the express buses on the current maps)....

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Yep, diamond for GBL, triangle for JBL, oval for triboro, circle for QSC, and the rounded square for the NYCT routes....

As for Command, probably would've made it a darker shade of green (similar to the current color for the express buses on the current maps)....

Command used the elongated rectangle on the Brooklyn Bus Map (similar to LIB/NICE)...

Memories

On 4/26/2020 at 9:00 PM, B35 via Church said:

OoI93eJ.gif

I don't think that by operator is relevant any more, but an idea I've thought about is color coding by major destination (Jackson Heights, Rego Park, Flushing, Jamaica, LIC, Astoria etc.)

The current map went way too far in the opposite direction and is hard-to-read Pantone spaghetti.

14 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

Will the Brooklyn Draft be delayed? Also, do you think the redesign(s) will be shoved through due to budget concerns?

That's a good question. I don't see a logical reason why it should be delayed (because from the Existing Conditions Report to get to the draft plan, there's no public meetings, and people can still submit comments on the Existing Conditions Report online). But I do know the Queens plan is paused since they couldn't finish the public meetings. The main reason for any delay would be more if they needed all of their planning staff to manage the service levels while this COVID-19 situation is going on.

What I think the bigger issue is, is that they have no idea what the budget looks like (the federal government might come bail them out entirely and they can keep it cost-neutral or even add some money if necessary,especially with congestion pricing coming out, or they might only receive a partial bailout and have to make severe cuts...which should be tied to the redesign so at least they're making them in a somewhat efficient way)

Which I guess looking back on it, maybe the Brooklyn redesign will be delayed for thay major reason: They don't know what budget they will be working with.

Edited by checkmatechamp13

27 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

I don't think that by operator is relevant any more, but an idea I've thought about is color coding by major destination (Jackson Heights, Rego Park, Flushing, Jamaica, LIC, Astoria etc.)

The current map went way too far in the opposite direction and is hard-to-read Pantone spaghetti.

I would rather have a compromise. I prefer the current map over the old style. They definitely shouldn’t change it to the just four colors by route type that they had in the draft plan.

Like they did for Staten Island with a separate express bus map, they should do that for each borough, plus for Queens have a separate map for the express to the subway routes also. As for the color coding for different destinations, maybe have maps that highlight the routes in those areas. One for all routes that serve Flushing, one for LIC, one for each of the hubs in Jamaica (LIRR, Parsons/Archer, 165 St)

1 hour ago, bobtehpanda said:

Speak for yourself.

1 hour ago, jaf0519 said:

I would rather have a compromise. I prefer the current map over the old style. They definitely shouldn’t change it to the just four colors by route type that they had in the draft plan.

Like they did for Staten Island with a separate express bus map, they should do that for each borough, plus for Queens have a separate map for the express to the subway routes also. As for the color coding for different destinations, maybe have maps that highlight the routes in those areas. One for all routes that serve Flushing, one for LIC, one for each of the hubs in Jamaica (LIRR, Parsons/Archer, 165 St)

I always wondered was why they never identified the stops for the express routes like they would for limited and select bus routes.