Queens Bus Redesign Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

8 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

QT44: They are also removing little detour the Q44 makes through Whitestone which some speed up the route a little bit. I personally think this is something they should have done years ago especially when the route became a SBS route in 2015. It surprises me how many people actually ride the Q44 from Jamaica to the Bronx. I feel like the Q20 is good enough over there. If necessary I’d add more service between College Point and Roosevelt Ave and call it a day.

QT50: a majority of the Q48 riders ride between Astoria Blvd and Main Street. That’s why I’m glad they are making the QT81 (Q19) serve that portion as well even though that now slows up direct service to Astoria Blvd. I’m not too fond of the QT50, because it has to stop in Flushing before going to LGA. It is stupid and you might as well keep the Q48 around which will be more reliable than this proposed route.
In my opinion they should have a route from Fordham via the Cross Bronx Expressway serve LGA. This route would not make any stops in Queens until it hits the terminals. It is basically the Q44 route in the Bronx and then it’s non stop via the Whitestone Expressway and the Grand Central Parkway 

QT52: I find that a lot of people from Jackson Heights ride Q53’s along Woodhaven Blvd and vise versa. During the summer times Q53 buses are packed like sardine cans. I don’t know how the beach crowds on the Q52 are, but cutting the Q53 will now force many people to have to transfer at Queens Blvd. I say cut the Q52 and leave the Q53. If they want to cut Woodside service I’m fine with that only because buses traveling on Roosevelt Ave in addition to Broadway slows the Q53 down. The only issue is that there isn’t any space over there on 74th & Roosevelt. 

QT48: During rush hours I would keep the route as is, but all other times I would have it make stops along Union street as well. I don’t see buses being full at all outside of rush hour so it might as well be useful to those along Union Street.  

Also maybe Q53 riders goes to Rockaway Park section but Arvene by Sea, so Q53 SBS need to stay as QT53 SBS.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

What's equally as stupid is combining the Q15/Q19 to create that QT81... A grand total of nobody in Corona is trying to get to areas along the Q15 (and vice versa)... That move was done for the sake of being cheap.... They could've still had (whatever they wanted to call the) Astoria Blvd route take on the Q48 routing between Flushing & Astoria Blvd, without combining it with the Q15....

With the QT50 specifically, I think it's immaterial if it does or doesn't stop in Flushing to get to LGA... I don't believe Bronx patrons would be too willing to get to LGA via the Whitestone, regardless... The Q50/QT50 isn't all that feasible to get to for a lot of Bronxites..... Think about it - why do you think there were talks of a Bx50 Fordham Plaza-LGA route way back when? When that didn't happen, then the talk shifted to possibly having the (then) new Bx41 SBS running to LGA..... The west Bronx is denser than the east Bronx, so it simply makes more sense to have a direct Bronx - LGA route run from the western part of the borough....

To that last part, anything that'd have buses utilizing the Cross Bronx Expressway to get to LGA is D...OA (dead on arrival)....

I actually forgot that they wanted to combine the Q15, Q19 and Q48 all together. I thought the QT81 ended at Main Street until I looked back at the redesign proposals map this morning. In that case I would break up the QT81 at Main Street. Keep the current Q15 a separate route, because making all these routes into super routes will just make them unappealing and unreliable. 

I think the QT50 should remain the same as the current Q50. I don’t see the the QT50 doing that well in terms of usage to LGA especially since it has to stop in Flushing first and then travel through Corona before getting to the airport. I see it doing worst than today’s Q48 and the Q48 has low airport ridership in comparison to even the Q72. As far as having a LGA route via the Cross Bronx, my idea was to have it serve the middle of the Bronx making it not too hard for folks on the west side and east side of the Bronx the opportunity to get to the airport. From the times I’ve used the Q44 along the Cross Bronx buses do move, however I’m too too familiar with the Bronx so I don’t know how a Bx41 sbs to LGA would do in terms of speed. They should try to keep whatever route that goes there under an hour so the thing is not unattractive to people. 

4 hours ago, FamousNYLover said:

Also maybe Q53 riders goes to Rockaway Park section but Arvene by Sea, so Q53 SBS need to stay as QT53 SBS.

Don't know what you're trying to say with this, but the sentiment should be simple - Get rid of the Q52 & leave the Q53 alone.

2 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I actually forgot that they wanted to combine the Q15, Q19 and Q48 all together. I thought the QT81 ended at Main Street until I looked back at the redesign proposals map this morning. In that case I would break up the QT81 at Main Street. Keep the current Q15 a separate route, because making all these routes into super routes will just make them unappealing and unreliable. 

I think the QT50 should remain the same as the current Q50. I don’t see the the QT50 doing that well in terms of usage to LGA especially since it has to stop in Flushing first and then travel through Corona before getting to the airport. I see it doing worst than today’s Q48 and the Q48 has low airport ridership in comparison to even the Q72. As far as having a LGA route via the Cross Bronx, my idea was to have it serve the middle of the Bronx making it not too hard for folks on the west side and east side of the Bronx the opportunity to get to the airport. From the times I’ve used the Q44 along the Cross Bronx buses do move, however I’m too too familiar with the Bronx so I don’t know how a Bx41 sbs to LGA would do in terms of speed. They should try to keep whatever route that goes there under an hour so the thing is not unattractive to people. 

You mean, you don't approve of the spin they're putting on those long, unwarranted route combinations? After all, they're just "Linking neighborhoods" <_<

Yeah, as you can tell, I don't care much for the Q48 as is,... As far as the Q50 goes, I'd also leave it alone... I just don't see Bronxites making their way to it, to get to the airport... Most Bronxites will continue to make their way to the M60, if/when this QT50 comes to fruition...

Anyway, so you're referring to the service road & not the actual highway... Was about to say, because I can't advocate for putting anything on the Cross Bronx parking lot... As for a Bx41SBS to LGA, I'm somewhat torn on it, but leaning more on the side of keeping it within the Bronx... The thing is stupid fast between Gun Hill & The Hub; to me, it feels like a shuttle... Running it to LGA would probably add another 20-30 mins. or so.....

On 8/19/2020 at 1:34 PM, NewFlyer 230 said:

I think the QT50 should remain the same as the current Q50. I don’t see the the QT50 doing that well in terms of usage to LGA especially since it has to stop in Flushing first and then travel through Corona before getting to the airport. I see it doing worst than today’s Q48 and the Q48 has low airport ridership in comparison to even the Q72.

for the life of me, i don't understand the "obsession" with sending a line to LGA from the pelham side of the Bx. iinm more of the bronx residents who are employed at LGA reside in the western bronx, at least from what I've personally seen since I've been working in the bronx. i wouldn't want them sending Bx41's to LGA, but i know that for the time being, people tolerate taking the Bx15 to two-five for the sbs60. if there was a one-seat ride from the Bronx to LGA from the hub or Fordham Road, i believe it'd do significantly better than this Q50 to LGA garbage

41 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

for the life of me, i don't understand the "obsession" with sending a line to LGA from the pelham side of the Bx. iinm more of the bronx residents who are employed at LGA reside in the western bronx, at least from what I've personally seen since I've been working in the bronx. i wouldn't want them sending Bx41's to LGA, but i know that for the time being, people tolerate taking the Bx15 to two-five for the sbs60. if there was a one-seat ride from the Bronx to LGA from the hub or Fordham Road, i believe it'd do significantly better than this Q50 to LGA garbage

This does help those in the east Bronx not living by a subway by eliminating the double fare to LGA (since there is no three legged transfer to the M60-SBS).  Also Q50-LTD to LGA is much cheaper than a Bx50-SBS since the city will help pay for the Q50 (assuming they still have the MTA Bus reimbursement of some sorts), but won't pay for the Bx50.

Edited by GreatOne2k

3 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

They were planning to create a bus route from Fordham to LGA (IIRC the route number was Q90) but when the 2010 budget cuts happened they scrapped the idea.

I would have thought they got smart and would have a new route operating from Fordham to LGA but as usual, (MTA) fails to surprise me...

Also what is exactly happening with this new QT50? In the Bronx plan they said it would only go to Co-Op during rush hours but in the Queens design they have it ending at Pelham Bay at all times.

7 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

They were planning to create a bus route from Fordham to LGA (IIRC the route number was Q90) but when the 2010 budget cuts happened they scrapped the idea.

I would have thought they got smart and would have a new route operating from Fordham to LGA but as usual, (MTA) fails to surprise me...

Also what is exactly happening with this new QT50? In the Bronx plan they said it would only go to Co-Op during rush hours but in the Queens design they have it ending at Pelham Bay at all times.

The Fordham Plaza LGA route was supposed to be an extended Bx41. 

10 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

2 minutes ago, Q43LTD said:

The Fordham Plaza LGA route was supposed to be an extended Bx41. 

Bx50...

Not only does the east Bronx (over the west Bronx) get a direct ride to LGA, they're doubling-down on keeping an LGA - Flushing connection intact.... This QT50 past Flushing is a waste of resources.... And on top of this, we have to hear about Cuomo wanting to prop up an LGA AIRTrain from Willets Point... Can't make this shit up.

53 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

They also were planning a Q94 between Fordham and Flushing, but instead we got an extended Q44 SBS.

Also the QT50 will still go to Co-op City during rush hours. Last time I checked it is hidden in the Remix map as separate layer aside from the trips between LGA and Pelham Bay.

Edited by jaf0519

1 hour ago, jaf0519 said:

They also were planning a Q94 between Fordham and Flushing, but instead we got an extended Q44 SBS.

Also the QT50 will still go to Co-op City during rush hours. Last time I checked it is hidden in the Remix map as separate layer aside from the trips between LGA and Pelham Bay.

What is up with the MTA’s obsession with getting Co-op City residents to use the Bx23 as their only way around Co-op City and to the subway?

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Not only does the east Bronx (over the west Bronx) get a direct ride to LGA, they're doubling-down on keeping an LGA - Flushing connection intact.... This QT50 past Flushing is a waste of resources.... And on top of this, we have to hear about Cuomo wanting to prop up an LGA AIRTrain from Willets Point... Can't make this shit up.

THANK YOU! which is what i was going to say to another respondent... I've lived on Northern Blvd (about 2 blocks from flushing h.s./YMCA Flushing) and have traveled immensely on both the Q50 & Q44 to/from the bronx at various times of day & night... NEVER have i seen a mad rush of LGA employess (i don't mean just TSA agents... ANY form of LGA employees) utilizing either line. that doesn't mean it doesn't occur, I'll submit to that. yet, I've never seen employees hopping off the 44 (limited/local or current sbs) or 50, then utilizing the 48. the 48 alone is proof that employees damn near refuse to travel to/from Roosevelt & main to get to work. furthermore, i traveled heavily on the (7) during my time in Flushing (it was real easy to get to 100 street depot via the (7) )... never saw employees coming from main street via train either. what i have known of people who work at LGA that live uptown (meaning northeastern bx) they will take the (2) or (5) to two-five. I'm not saying that's righteous or fair for them, or that they shouldn't have alternatives, however don't send the 50 somewhere it isn't needed, point-blank. no one can convince me that that's a good friggin' idea. yeah, send Q50's to LGA and (allegedly) close Casey Stengel to accommodate AirTrain from main street, when Q48's have had a difficult time amassing patronage since i don't know when. outstanding. 

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry

16 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

What is up with the MTA’s obsession with getting Co-op City residents to use the Bx23 as their only way around Co-op City and to the subway?

when the community has made it abundantly clear they don't want to be sardine canned in & out of co-op via one bus, letalone add another leg to their commute if they aren't heading to the (6) by chopping all other services in & out of there which is what transit has proposed every blasted time they suggest cutting service 

I think there is some demand from the Bronx to/from LGA that is currently underserved now.

However, (MTA) wanted to be cheap and just combined the 50 and the 48. Alot of the plan tries to serve way too many purposes using one routes. Whats funny is that they specifically mention in their report that the CURRENT routes served too many purpose

when the community has made it abundantly clear they don't want to be sardine canned in & out of co-op via one bus, letalone add another leg to their commute if they aren't heading to the (6) by chopping all other services in & out of there which is what transit has proposed every blasted time they suggest cutting service 

Granted, I can't see too many diving between Flushing and Co-op City, but I'd say at least part of that is a (mal)function of the route it takes up there.

I've already said it multiple times (in one form or another), but they should really model the Q50's Co-op City route after the BxM7's.

Some of my other gripes with what they proposed fall squarely within the Bronx network, so I won't mention them here.

13 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

I think there is some demand from the Bronx to/from LGA that is currently underserved now.

However, (MTA) wanted to be cheap and just combined the 50 and the 48. Alot of the plan tries to serve way too many purposes using one routes. Whats funny is that they specifically mention in their report that the CURRENT routes served too many purpose

Another way of looking at it, is that they're claiming the current routes are doing too much - but of the longer routes they're proposing, they're intentionally making them less useful... This makes it easier for them to justify the shit service levels they're giving to a lot of these routes....

15 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

THANK YOU! which is what i was going to say to another respondent... I've lived on Northern Blvd (about 2 blocks from flushing h.s./YMCA Flushing) and have traveled immensely on both the Q50 & Q44 to/from the bronx at various times of day & night... NEVER have i seen a mad rush of LGA employees (i don't mean just TSA agents... ANY form of LGA employees) utilizing either line. that doesn't mean it doesn't occur, I'll submit to that. yet, I've never seen employees hopping off the 44 (limited/local or current sbs) or 50, then utilizing the 48. the 48 alone is proof that employees damn near refuse to travel to/from Roosevelt & main to get to work. furthermore, i traveled heavily on the (7) during my time in Flushing (it was real easy to get to 100 street depot via the (7) )... never saw employees coming from main street via train either. what i have known of people who work at LGA that live uptown (meaning northeastern bx) they will take the (2) or (5) to two-five. I'm not saying that's righteous or fair for them, or that they shouldn't have alternatives, however don't send the 50 somewhere it isn't needed, point-blank. no one can convince me that that's a good friggin' idea. yeah, send Q50's to LGA and (allegedly) close Casey Stengel to accommodate AirTrain from main street, when Q48's have had a difficult time amassing patronage since i don't know when. outstanding. 

Neither have I - and you're not going to see any noticeable amt. of people partaking in that commuting pattern either! :lol:

15 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

15 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

when the community has made it abundantly clear they don't want to be sardine canned in & out of co-op via one bus, let alone add another leg to their commute if they aren't heading to the (6) by chopping all other services in & out of there which is what transit has proposed every blasted time they suggest cutting service 

While I'm not proposing it, I would like to see how things would play out if the Bx12 SBS served, in part, or all of sections 1-4 of Co-Op & did away with the Bx23 (to see how many Co-Op folks would stay on the Bx12 past PBP).... What I'm getting at, is that too sizable an amt. of Bronxites aren't trying to get to areas along the Q50 past PBP...

Outside of penny-pinching, the fixation with shuttling everyone they can b/w Co-Op & PBP (6) IMO, is their way of trying to convince themselves that the right move was to split the old QBx1... Also, the MTA is trying to "B74" the Bx23 & the dynamic isn't exactly the same... The (6) is not the end-all be-all for Co-Op folks like that - which explains the phenomenon of the Bx28/38 getting the patronage to/from Gun Hill (2) & Gun Hill (5) that they do....

Edited by B35 via Church

20 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

20 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

The Final Plan called for giving both Bx26 & Bx28 riders access to all portions of Co-Op City (sections 1-4 and Section 5). Not sure how they're being forced into the Bx23. It's one route that's being removed off-peak that has a ridiculously circuitous routing anyway (as mentioned by @Lex I do agree that it should run similar to the BxM7 route within Co-Op City)

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone gonna talk about the Q39 being split into three parts? I'm not for it, keep the route the way it is because alot of people rely on the Q39 to get crosstown connecting Glendale, Ridgewood, Maspeth, Sunnyside, and LIC. Before the pandemic, I took the Q39 to school all the way from Glendale to Long Island City and its always packed, so people rely on that route each morning and afternoon, besides theres more connections at LIC than just making it go to Astoria. Not for it, the MTA doesn't know what they're doing on that draft tbh... Keep it the way it is.

The only thing I am in favor of is the rerouted Q58 (QT6 I think? or was it 12?) via Long Island Expressway nothing else really

9 minutes ago, Q39 to Ridgewood said:

The only thing I am in favor of is the rerouted Q58 (QT6 I think? or was it 12?) via Long Island Expressway nothing else really

The QT6 is the rerouted Q58 along the Expressway. The QT12 is a combined Q30 and Q88 along the Expressway to Queensborough Community College.

9 hours ago, Q39 to Ridgewood said:

Anyone gonna talk about the Q39 being split into three parts? I'm not for it, keep the route the way it is because alot of people rely on the Q39 to get crosstown connecting Glendale, Ridgewood, Maspeth, Sunnyside, and LIC. Before the pandemic, I took the Q39 to school all the way from Glendale to Long Island City and its always packed, so people rely on that route each morning and afternoon, besides theres more connections at LIC than just making it go to Astoria. Not for it, the MTA doesn't know what they're doing on that draft tbh... Keep it the way it is.

I think the goal with that QT80 was to provide a north-south connection to the industrial part of Maspeth, and it was difficult to otherwise find a unique ridership base besides trying to take over part of the Q39 ridership base.

I liked some of the things they were doing in that area. The Q39 is a very long winding route, and the replacements were a bit more direct, from what I remember (need to look at the map again). Including getting it off of Fresh Pond, anc cutting across the little streets between Eliot and Rust, which is something I had always thought of. Though at one of the hearings, people were complaining that the buses might not fit, and so they were goign to check that out. I think it's still better than going out of the way to the congested Fresh Pond.

1 hour ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I think the goal with that QT80 was to provide a north-south connection to the industrial part of Maspeth, and it was difficult to otherwise find a unique ridership base besides trying to take over part of the Q39 ridership base.

I take the Q39 to school like I said. Many people need to rely on the direct access to Long Island City from Ridgewood and Maspeth, students will then be forced to take another bus. I mean sure it does serve more people the QT80 but what about the amount of students the bus on the current Q39 that they would rely to school is the question 

12 hours ago, Q39 to Ridgewood said:

I take the Q39 to school like I said. Many people need to rely on the direct access to Long Island City from Ridgewood and Maspeth, students will then be forced to take another bus. I mean sure it does serve more people the QT80 but what about the amount of students the bus on the current Q39 that they would rely to school is the question 

The proposal are delayed anyways due to covid so it might be a long time before we see a redesign anyways. I suspect a few years since the MTA is also dealing with the budget issue as well. 

The map is not very detailed and accurate in terms of street connections, because it shows the QT80 going from Rust street to Forest Ave via some unknown street. However looking on the actual map on google the route will have to take Grand Ave, to Fresh Pond Road, to Elliot, onto Metropolitan Ave to Forest Ave, the same way to Q39 does. Basically the QT80 is the Astoria part of the Q18 stuck together with the Ridgewood part of the Q39 that just ends at Myrtle Wyckoff.

I don’t necessarily see this route doing bad at all. I think you may have people who ride the QT80 between Woodside and Ridgewood. The Astoria should see the same usage, the only thing is that it’s missing the connection to the (7)Plus the route will terminate at Myrtle Wycoff which could make the route a bit more attractive. 

You will still have access to Long Island City vía a transfer to the QT77 which will probably receive some changes in the final plan because that route is way too long. I think a route that runs on Elliot Ave should end by Myrtle Wycoff or maybe Wycoff Hospital. Idk exactly where I’d end the QT77, but I was thinking perhaps the Fresh Pond Rd (M) station. 

Then you have the QT75 which I feel will carry air. That will cover the 48th Ave part of the Q39. I never saw too many people get on and off over there. 

14 hours ago, Q39 to Ridgewood said:

They can put trippers into place at school arrival/dismissal times. In any case, they seem to have a bit of a laissez-faire attitude about transferring as part of their redesigns.

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

The proposal are delayed anyways due to covid so it might be a long time before we see a redesign anyways. I suspect a few years since the MTA is also dealing with the budget issue as well. 

The map is not very detailed and accurate in terms of street connections, because it shows the QT80 going from Rust street to Forest Ave via some unknown street. However looking on the actual map on google the route will have to take Grand Ave, to Fresh Pond Road, to Elliot, onto Metropolitan Ave to Forest Ave, the same way to Q39 does. Basically the QT80 is the Astoria part of the Q18 stuck together with the Ridgewood part of the Q39 that just ends at Myrtle Wyckoff.

I don’t necessarily see this route doing bad at all. I think you may have people who ride the QT80 between Woodside and Ridgewood. The Astoria should see the same usage, the only thing is that it’s missing the connection to the (7)Plus the route will terminate at Myrtle Wycoff which could make the route a bit more attractive. 

You will still have access to Long Island City vía a transfer to the QT77 which will probably receive some changes in the final plan because that route is way too long. I think a route that runs on Elliot Ave should end by Myrtle Wycoff or maybe Wycoff Hospital. Idk exactly where I’d end the QT77, but I was thinking perhaps the Fresh Pond Rd (M) station. 

Then you have the QT75 which I feel will carry air. That will cover the 48th Ave part of the Q39. I never saw too many people get on and off over there. 

I have an idea, how about having the QT77 run down Hunters Point Avenue to Greenpoint Avenue to 48th Avenue to 48th Street to 56th Road to Rust Street to 60th Street to Metropolitan Avenue to Forest Avenue, and terminate where the Q39 does. (Basically combine the current Q39/67 within LIC/Sunnyside)

I personally don't think there is much to be gained by going to Ridgewood Terminal. When the Brooklyn redesign comes into effect, I think it would be better to restructure some of the Brooklyn routes to run further into Ridgewood (e.g. B52 to Gates & Forest, B26 runs straight up George/Stephen Street or even up Summerfield/Decatur to Myrtle)

Just for reference of how I would structure the surrounding routes:

QT76 runs straight down Steinway to Greenpoint to Kent/Wythe to end at WBP.

QT78 runs down 69th Street-Borden Avenue-65th Place-Woodside Avenue-58th Street-Broadway-36th Avenue

QT4 has additional stops at 51st Avenue & Roosevelt Avenue.

QT2 runs up 48th Street-47th Avenue-47th Street-43rd Avenue-48th Street-Northern Blvd to end at Broadway. Additional stops added on 48th Street.

QT80 rerouted to turn down Borden Avenue and end at 69th Street.

Edited by checkmatechamp13

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Then again you have a bus load of people that’s going to transfer to another bus to get to school in LIC and now it’s gonna be jammed to the point no one can get in that’s the problem 

41 minutes ago, Q39 to Ridgewood said:

Then again you have a bus load of people that’s going to transfer to another bus to get to school in LIC and now it’s gonna be jammed to the point no one can get in that’s the problem 

They don't necessarily have to transfer to another bus. They could transfer to the (7) at Woodside (and at this point ridership on the subway is still down 75% from normal levels)