Breaking News: Bedford Avenue Exits at Nostrand Avenue A C to Reopen!

Union Tpke

The group that I am a part of, ACCESS, Accessing Currently Closed Entrances to Subway Stations has made a lot of progress in the last year. First, the Dan Rivoli NY1 story, Second, the request from the Comptroller for more information from the MTA about closed entrances. Now, this! We had been hoping that the MTA would choose ADA stations with closed exits, and it is amazing that Nostrand Avenue was chosen as an additional ADA station. CB3 in Brooklyn has done an exceptional job pushing for the reopening of the entrance! It would be great to also reopen the Arlington Place entrances, but this is a great start. If anyone else is interested in joining ACCESS, which meets once a month on a Sunday, typically at the beginning of the month. If anyone has more questions about ACCESS or closed entrances respond here or PM me.

I also heard this through the grapevine, but Ben Kabak made it public, so I can share it:

I never realized this entrance was still closed. It was open through my childhood and finally closed because of "security concerns" many years ago. When the B44SBS bus service was introduced I thought it was a no-brainer to re-open this entrance. The only other option for those riders is the long walk east to the Nostrand Ave station entrance or the walk westward to the Franklin Avenue station. This is part of my quibble about the lack of coordination between Subways and Surface. If the re-opening restores the original design it would also provide an additional cross-over for uptown/downtown directional changes instead of traveling to Hoyt-Schermerhorn or Utica. Better late than never I guess. Carry on.

My only concern is where the elevators will go. After all, the shafts need to have a solid foundation, meaning they can't simply be placed anywhere.

On a different note, I'd really like to see different fare gates from the normal turnstiles or those godforsaken HEETs.

This is good progress, I hope they consider opening up all those closed entrances at the (C)(E) 50th street station. I’m surprised for a station that is so close to Times Square that it would have so many closed entrances. 

There are some stops in Brooklyn along that (J) line that should have its entrance reopened. 

The (G) is another that can benefit from opening closed entrances especially if it gets lengthened. 

Thanks for the thanks everyone. However, this event is a one-off, and the politicians will take credit for it. We at ACCESS could really appreciate some of your guys help advocating and strategizing how to put pressure on the agency to reopen more entrances. There are only five of us who regularly attend meetings, and could really use the help. We meet once a month, typically at the beginning of the month. Just a bit of your time can have a big impact.

7 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

Thanks for the thanks everyone. However, this event is a one-off, and the politicians will take credit for it. We at ACCESS could really appreciate some of your guys help advocating and strategizing how to put pressure on the agency to reopen more entrances. There are only five of us who regularly attend meetings, and could really use the help. We meet once a month, typically at the beginning of the month. Just a bit of your time can have a big impact.

congrats. i'd also heavily suggest to keep it up and try to push for other closed entrances to be reopened, and also maybe try and convince the MTA to open up new entrances. 

On 2/7/2020 at 9:36 PM, Coney Island Av said:

congrats. i'd also heavily suggest to keep it up and try to push for other closed entrances to be reopened, and also maybe try and convince the MTA to open up new entrances. 

That is the entire point of the group. We aren't fighting for just one entrance, but for as many entrances as possible. This was one of our higher priority ones.

By the way, here is a portion of a neighborhood map that someone shared on twitter when the entrances were open:

49511102692_25c0854ff8_k.jpgBedford-Stuyvesant Neighborhood Map by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

5 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

That is the entire point of the group. We aren't fighting for just one entrance, but for as many entrances as possible. This was one of our higher priority ones.

By the way, here is a portion of a neighborhood map that someone shared on twitter when the entrances were open:

49511102692_25c0854ff8_k.jpgBedford-Stuyvesant Neighborhood Map by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

This map shows exactly what I was saying about the options. The entrance at Bedford is to the left of the Regent theater. At the extreme left of the map is the Franklin Avenue (A)(C) station. That station is actually closer than the Nostrand Avenue -Fulton Street entrance from Bedford Avenue. Carry on. 

41 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

@Trainmaster5 Do you know which year these entrances were closed, or for the matter any other dates for entrance closures? Thanks.

IIRC that entrance was still open in early 1969 when I was a provisional RR Porter. My grandma lived on Herkimer next to the shown church so we always used the Nostrand entrance. If I was heading to Prospect Park I used the Brevoort Pl. shortcut to the shuttle. If I’m not mistaken the Classon Avenue entrance to the Franklin Avenue (A)(C) station was still open back then as well as the alternate entrances to the Ralph and Rockaway Avenue (A)(C) stations that I know were open in early ‘69. I remember that Eastern Parkway on the (J) had another exit from the platform down to the street level that took me past a monument place across from Evergreen Cemetery. I don’t know when they were all closed but I remember that there was an outcry about mugging and a lack of Transit and NYPD patrolmen back then. I think that the old subway dot org had some of that information but I’m not sure if that site is still active or run by the same folks. Maybe the (MTA) itself has some info available. Carry on.

15 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

IIRC that entrance was still open in early 1969 when I was a provisional RR Porter. My grandma lived on Herkimer next to the shown church so we always used the Nostrand entrance. If I was heading to Prospect Park I used the Brevoort Pl. shortcut to the shuttle. If I’m not mistaken the Classon Avenue entrance to the Franklin Avenue (A)(C) station was still open back then as well as the alternate entrances to the Ralph and Rockaway Avenue (A)(C) stations that I know were open in early ‘69. I remember that Eastern Parkway on the (J) had another exit from the platform down to the street level that took me past a monument place across from Evergreen Cemetery. I don’t know when they were all closed but I remember that there was an outcry about mugging and a lack of Transit and NYPD patrolmen back then. I think that the old subway dot org had some of that information but I’m not sure if that site is still active or run by the same folks. Maybe the (MTA) itself has some info available. Carry on.

nycsubway.org doesn't have dates. Thanks for the information. Now I know that the Eastern Parkway and Classon exits survived to 1969.