Jump to content
Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Union Tpke

Breaking News: Bedford Avenue Exits at Nostrand Avenue A C to Reopen!

Recommended Posts

The group that I am a part of, ACCESS, Accessing Currently Closed Entrances to Subway Stations has made a lot of progress in the last year. First, the Dan Rivoli NY1 story, Second, the request from the Comptroller for more information from the MTA about closed entrances. Now, this! We had been hoping that the MTA would choose ADA stations with closed exits, and it is amazing that Nostrand Avenue was chosen as an additional ADA station. CB3 in Brooklyn has done an exceptional job pushing for the reopening of the entrance! It would be great to also reopen the Arlington Place entrances, but this is a great start. If anyone else is interested in joining ACCESS, which meets once a month on a Sunday, typically at the beginning of the month. If anyone has more questions about ACCESS or closed entrances respond here or PM me.

I also heard this through the grapevine, but Ben Kabak made it public, so I can share it:

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not that I know of. I honestly am very surprised that they will actually reopen the Bedford entrances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$2 million is a BARGAIN investment. Imagine if we spent all the money on additional MTA police on reopening entrances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

Imagine if we spent all the money on additional MTA police on reopening entrances.

By my count, that's 124 reopened entrances (at $2 million a piece)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Serious congrats to @Union Tpke and all the others that have pushed for reopened entrances. It's amazing to see these decisions reexamined. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never realized this entrance was still closed. It was open through my childhood and finally closed because of "security concerns" many years ago. When the B44SBS bus service was introduced I thought it was a no-brainer to re-open this entrance. The only other option for those riders is the long walk east to the Nostrand Ave station entrance or the walk westward to the Franklin Avenue station. This is part of my quibble about the lack of coordination between Subways and Surface. If the re-opening restores the original design it would also provide an additional cross-over for uptown/downtown directional changes instead of traveling to Hoyt-Schermerhorn or Utica. Better late than never I guess. Carry on.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My only concern is where the elevators will go. After all, the shafts need to have a solid foundation, meaning they can't simply be placed anywhere.

On a different note, I'd really like to see different fare gates from the normal turnstiles or those godforsaken HEETs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is good progress, I hope they consider opening up all those closed entrances at the (C)(E) 50th street station. I’m surprised for a station that is so close to Times Square that it would have so many closed entrances. 
 

There are some stops in Brooklyn along that (J) line that should have its entrance reopened. 

The (G) is another that can benefit from opening closed entrances especially if it gets lengthened. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the thanks everyone. However, this event is a one-off, and the politicians will take credit for it. We at ACCESS could really appreciate some of your guys help advocating and strategizing how to put pressure on the agency to reopen more entrances. There are only five of us who regularly attend meetings, and could really use the help. We meet once a month, typically at the beginning of the month. Just a bit of your time can have a big impact.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

Thanks for the thanks everyone. However, this event is a one-off, and the politicians will take credit for it. We at ACCESS could really appreciate some of your guys help advocating and strategizing how to put pressure on the agency to reopen more entrances. There are only five of us who regularly attend meetings, and could really use the help. We meet once a month, typically at the beginning of the month. Just a bit of your time can have a big impact.

congrats. i'd also heavily suggest to keep it up and try to push for other closed entrances to be reopened, and also maybe try and convince the MTA to open up new entrances. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2020 at 9:36 PM, Coney Island Av said:

congrats. i'd also heavily suggest to keep it up and try to push for other closed entrances to be reopened, and also maybe try and convince the MTA to open up new entrances. 

That is the entire point of the group. We aren't fighting for just one entrance, but for as many entrances as possible. This was one of our higher priority ones.

By the way, here is a portion of a neighborhood map that someone shared on twitter when the entrances were open:

49511102692_25c0854ff8_k.jpgBedford-Stuyvesant Neighborhood Map by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I would do for this reopening based on the photos is put fare control where you can cross over if need be.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

One thing I would do for this reopening based on the photos is put fare control where you can cross over if need be.  

You can already crossover within the closed mezzanine, which will be reopened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

That is the entire point of the group. We aren't fighting for just one entrance, but for as many entrances as possible. This was one of our higher priority ones.

By the way, here is a portion of a neighborhood map that someone shared on twitter when the entrances were open:

49511102692_25c0854ff8_k.jpgBedford-Stuyvesant Neighborhood Map by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

 

This map shows exactly what I was saying about the options. The entrance at Bedford is to the left of the Regent theater. At the extreme left of the map is the Franklin Avenue (A)(C) station. That station is actually closer than the Nostrand Avenue -Fulton Street entrance from Bedford Avenue. Carry on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

@Trainmaster5 Do you know which year these entrances were closed, or for the matter any other dates for entrance closures? Thanks.

IIRC that entrance was still open in early 1969 when I was a provisional RR Porter. My grandma lived on Herkimer next to the shown church so we always used the Nostrand entrance. If I was heading to Prospect Park I used the Brevoort Pl. shortcut to the shuttle. If I’m not mistaken the Classon Avenue entrance to the Franklin Avenue (A)(C) station was still open back then as well as the alternate entrances to the Ralph and Rockaway Avenue (A)(C) stations that I know were open in early ‘69. I remember that Eastern Parkway on the (J) had another exit from the platform down to the street level that took me past a monument place across from Evergreen Cemetery. I don’t know when they were all closed but I remember that there was an outcry about mugging and a lack of Transit and NYPD patrolmen back then. I think that the old subway dot org had some of that information but I’m not sure if that site is still active or run by the same folks. Maybe the (MTA) itself has some info available. Carry on.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

IIRC that entrance was still open in early 1969 when I was a provisional RR Porter. My grandma lived on Herkimer next to the shown church so we always used the Nostrand entrance. If I was heading to Prospect Park I used the Brevoort Pl. shortcut to the shuttle. If I’m not mistaken the Classon Avenue entrance to the Franklin Avenue (A)(C) station was still open back then as well as the alternate entrances to the Ralph and Rockaway Avenue (A)(C) stations that I know were open in early ‘69. I remember that Eastern Parkway on the (J) had another exit from the platform down to the street level that took me past a monument place across from Evergreen Cemetery. I don’t know when they were all closed but I remember that there was an outcry about mugging and a lack of Transit and NYPD patrolmen back then. I think that the old subway dot org had some of that information but I’m not sure if that site is still active or run by the same folks. Maybe the (MTA) itself has some info available. Carry on.

nycsubway.org doesn't have dates. Thanks for the information. Now I know that the Eastern Parkway and Classon exits survived to 1969.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.