R-42 Final Run Retirement - February 12th, 2020

+Young+

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wondering if I should get a picture of it from the rocks at Hamilton Beach or just ride it like everyone else... 🤔

A lot of individuals aren't going to be happy about them not retiring on the (J)

Edited by 4P3607
Corrected

2 hours ago, 4P3607 said:

Wondering if I should get a picture of it from the rocks at Hamilton Beach or just ride it like everyone else... 🤔

A lot of individuals aren't going to be happy about them not retiring on the (J)

Couldn't you get a picture of it heading SB and then just walk back to Howard to wait for it to come back? 

44 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

High School and Junior High Schoolers: DO NOT CUT CLASS! 

Thank you. I would never cut class in any case, and was only late thrice during high school (all excused due to screw-ups on the subway in the morning). I hope the younger members on the forums get the message.

53 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

Thank you. I would never cut class in any case, and was only late thrice during high school (all excused due to screw-ups on the subway in the morning). I hope the younger members on the forums get the message.

Only if the paper says "Class is Cancelled" for your last class for the day. That's a good thing, ends a long day earlier. 

Edited by Calvin

6 hours ago, 4P3607 said:

Didn’t they start off on the (A) ?

2 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

as a high school student myself (joined the forums when i was 13, now i'm gonna be 16 in a few months), i don't cut classes often whatsoever and always make sure my grades are on top by doing HW and trying my best to study for tests. its only events like these where my mom allows me to leave school early and attend them, like with the TOMC on the (7) and other events.

although i will have to depart from school early on the day of the final run, i was being completely honest with my parents about how i wanted to go, and how this was their last time ever in service, and they agreed to let me leave school early and attend. my grades in school are good, and whatever work i miss i will take responsibility for and try my best to make it up. people should only cut/leave school early if they have a good reason to do so like me in this case. 

anyways, i think it would have been a little better to have their final run on the (N), given thats where they first started, but i'm still satisfied the R42s are gonna go out the same way the R40 slants did all those years back on the (A). i will miss these cars a LOT, considering that i rode them more times than i can count on the (J)(Z) and even the (brownM) back in 2018. its also possible i have experience catching these cars on the (A)(B)(C) when i was very young considering i have lived off of those lines since i was born tho i can't remember well since i was just a toddler back then. 

39 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Seems like everything retires on the (A) and (C) lines nowadays. I bet the R160s will retire on the (A) in the near future lol. 

33 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Aren't the R143's close to retiring in like 10 or 15 years? Those cars are just done...

I’m pretty sure I will die of old age before they start retiring the NTT subway cars. If the R32 and R42 cars have been around for 50+ years, imagine how long the R143/R160/R179 trains will be around (since they’re way more advanced).

Edited by Snorunts

4 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

High School and Junior High Schoolers: DO NOT CUT CLASS! 

With the AP classes and extracurriculars I'm in, I could never! 🤣

14 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I think the view and pics you can get on the (A) , especially near Far Rock, are superior to the (N) so I'm glad they are doing it on the (A) . Plus, the (A) is so long it gives everyone a good chance to see it if you really want to, from anywhere in the city. 

The (A) is a very excellent route for fan railing, right next to the bay and also traversing many different station types and surroundings.It's also where the R40's retired around 10 years ago, so it'll be nice for many to relive those times.

1 hour ago, Snorunts said:

I’m pretty sure I will die of old age before they start retiring the NTT subway cars. If the R32 and R42 cars have been around for 50+ years, imagine how long the R143/R160/R179 trains will be around (since they’re way more advanced).

The current reality of the MTA hasn't been met with mass fortunes or plain stability as it had in the past, I expect the NTT generation of cars to outlive the R32's if the agency doesn't get itself together.