R-42 Final Run Retirement - February 12th, 2020

+Young+

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Snorunts said:

I’m pretty sure I will die of old age before they start retiring the NTT subway cars. If the R32 and R42 cars have been around for 50+ years, imagine how long the R143/R160/R179 trains will be around (since they’re way more advanced).

I mean it depends on how old you are. I’m in my early 20s so I should still be alive when the R142s and R143s retire. I’ll probably be in my 40s by then. 

8 minutes ago, Maxwell179 said:

It’ll be 10 cars or 8 ?

It's said to be 10. Back when the slants ran on the (A) , it was the same number of cars as a full 62 ft train.

Probably wait by tomorrow night to see if that is the number.  

Edited by Calvin

12 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

Lol, I don't know why everyone is seriously replying about that school thing.

If you got time, you got time. If you're cutting school, then probably you've been cutting school anyway; school wouldn't help now.

and yet people insist that my 2nd semester for senior year doesn't count for much...Have not missed a day in school (for the academic year) yet.

Edited by irongirl6128
for clarity

2 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

The trip slips are fake. Kids just trying to cut and not get in trouble with truancy.

The Trip slips are Real. The school confirmed it.

Also, the kid who posted the picture of the trip slip wasn’t supposed to publicize that permission slip.

Edited by LaGuardia Link N Tra

19 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I think the view and pics you can get on the (A) , especially near Far Rock, are superior to the (N) so I'm glad they are doing it on the (A) . Plus, the (A) is so long it gives everyone a good chance to see it if you really want to, from anywhere in the city. 

Oh yes, very much so! When the R160s were being tested on the (A) and (N) lines, I definitely liked riding them over the Flats and over Jamaica Bay. Alas, I live in Whitestone, which is at the opposite end of Queens from where it borders East New York, so I probably won’t be able to get my timing right for transferring from the (7) to the R42 (A) at 42nd St. Though I just might try...

42 minutes ago, Q23 via 108 said:

I wonder who's going to fight for the Railfan Windows. This will be fun...

I know I won't cus Id much rather catch an R32 on the (A) instead of fighting for a window on a single R42. Where I already know foamers would go nuts trying to get their footage on that single RFW window.

7 hours ago, irongirl6128 said:

and yet people insist that my 2nd semester for senior year doesn't count for much...Have not missed a day in school (for the academic year) yet.

Dunno if they do it now but back when I was in HS we had block schedule - 4 periods a day, 8 classes a year - and senior year spring semester I racked up enough credits I only went to school for half a day.

(Class of 1998, FYI)

For those willing to get photos, good news is that it'll be cloudy running on the Rockaways . 

- 10:17 AM, 10:28 AM - Euclid Av to Far Rock., 10:37 AM, 10:47 AM - Broad Channel, 10:50 AM Shuttle train leaves Broad Channel for Rockaway Park

11:15, 11:35 AM - (A) trains leave Far Rock.  

Edited by Calvin