R-42 Final Run Retirement - February 12th, 2020

+Young+

2 hours ago, Shore El Express said:

It says the first run of the train is outbound from Euclid Av at 10:30AM on wednesday. What time will the train physically arrive at Euclid Av beforehand? When will it depart from the yard, and will it run directly to euclid from 207 without stopping? Anybody got any info

If I were to guess, it would be moved to Pitkin yard the night before.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure wish they made them look like that again (including the larger door windows and the center ceiling light strip and air valve sound).

The GOH cars retiring now have nothing to do with the original cars aside from the shells. Inside, they and the 32's are almost the same.

Look at this:

The last of the R-42 fleet was retired in 2020 after more than 50 years of service. A farewell run was held on February 12, 2020 and these commemorative pins were distributed to passengers.

https://www.nytransitmuseumstore.com/collections/themes-occasions/r-42-train/posterr-42-final-run-2-1016.html

https://www.nytransitmuseumstore.com/collections/themes-occasions/r-42-train/pinr-42-fifty-years-of-servic.html

3 hours ago, Eric B said:

Sure wish they made them look like that again (including the larger door windows and the center ceiling light strip and air valve sound).

The GOH cars retiring now have nothing to do with the original cars aside from the shells. Inside, they and the 32's are almost the same.

I remember them like that in the 80s when they ran on the (D). They had far more personality with the larger door windows and the blue striping. Not sure why they couldn’t just keep the larger windows after GOH. Maybe if a museum wants a pair, they might do that. Maybe even re-add blue striping. 

1 hour ago, Union Tpke said:

Look at this:

The last of the R-42 fleet was retired in 2020 after more than 50 years of service. A farewell run was held on February 12, 2020 and these commemorative pins were distributed to passengers.

https://www.nytransitmuseumstore.com/collections/themes-occasions/r-42-train/posterr-42-final-run-2-1016.html

https://www.nytransitmuseumstore.com/collections/themes-occasions/r-42-train/pinr-42-fifty-years-of-servic.html

I see the Transit Museum website has already got a blurb about the final run. Nice.

36 minutes ago, Calvin said:

When saying (A) stops, does it go Express on the line or local? Plus, I wonder when it reaches 207 St, it'll head to Dyckman St middle tracks for a layover till 1:25 PM.

It’s kind of sad that the R42s are retiring tomorrow, but what will be worse is when the R32s retire. I used to remember when I was growing up in the early 90s when they were on the (N) line in Astoria. It was always a mixed bag on that route with the R32s and R68s. Always trying to avoid the R40 slants.

Edited by darkstar8983

11 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

It’s kind of sad that the R42s are retiring tomorrow, but what will be worse is when the R32s retire. I used to remember when I was growing up in the early 90s when they were on the (N) line in Astoria. It was always a mixed bag on that route with the R32s and R68s. Always trying to avoid the R40 slants.

Aren’t you the same guy who complains about the R46s on the Broadway line? Because R32s run into a ton more problems than the 46s.

Do you or do you not like the SMEE??

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

When saying (A) stops, does it go Express on the line or local? Plus, I wonder when it reaches 207 St, it'll head to Dyckman St middle tracks for a layover till 1:25 PM.

I’m pretty sure it would go express. There’s no need for it to run local as the (C) will be operating. 

7 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

I remember them like that in the 80s when they ran on the (D). They had far more personality with the larger door windows and the blue striping. Not sure why they couldn’t just keep the larger windows after GOH. Maybe if a museum wants a pair, they might do that. Maybe even re-add blue striping. 

They actually already added the blue strip (I think just in the front) on the 42/40m pair in CIYD. Still, with the door, it still doesn't look right. 

They probably used that door because it was now the same ones used on the 32's and 38's, so you only needed that one part for several car classes. 

29 minutes ago, Eric B said:

They actually already added the blue strip (I think just in the front) on the 42/40m pair in CIYD. Still, with the door, it still doesn't look right. 

They probably used that door because it was now the same ones used on the 32's and 38's, so you only needed that one part for several car classes. 

16569444305_6e8debb13d_b.jpgWilly B pair by Union Turnpike, on Flickr