R-42 Final Run Retirement - February 12th, 2020

+Young+

10 hours ago, Eric B said:

They actually already added the blue strip (I think just in the front) on the 42/40m pair in CIYD. Still, with the door, it still doesn't look right. 

They probably used that door because it was now the same ones used on the 32's and 38's, so you only needed that one part for several car classes. 

Though it does look better with the blue strip. And they painted the door blue. It’s a start.

I figured “parts standardization” was the reason they put the smaller window side doors on the rebuilt 40, 40m and 42 cars. Though for some reason, to me they looked quite a bit different on the 40’s, 40m’s and 42’s than they did on the rebuilt 32’s and 38’s. It looked like there was less space between the windows and the door frames on the 32’s and 38’s. For the longest time, I thought they were different doors, but I think it may be that the 40’s, 40m’s and 42’s have slightly wider side door openings than the 32’s and 38’s. Slight, but noticeable.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I rode the train from Euclid to Beach 36th and then from Far Rockaway to Nostrand; it was quite a nice time. It's awesome that they made it a proper event instead of some random unannounced run. Huge thanks as well to the Transit Museum for getting the old-style rollsign stickers made; that was a really nice touch.

It's honestly great that the 50 final R42s survived 11 years after the rest of the fleet (and all the R40s) were scrapped. This allowed many more people to have the experience of riding this style of subway car, compared to retiring the entire fleet back in 2009.

Edited by P3F

I've enjoyed the last R42 Ride of the Decade but when I tell you it super jammed packed with foamers as they would say yea it was just ridiculous  and really embarrassing  you could barely enjoy the ride you got people harassing operators people yelling people running out the train from nearly every stop of the way you got people breaking into the cap and chaging the rollsign then to also state that... there were kids from transit take going ape sh#t at almost every  stop about the R42s I actually  had to tell at them to calm down because some people was filming and that's pretty annoying  and I'm sure nobody  wants to hear all that yelling in there clip so yeah... but other then that I enjoyed my self with my good freinds got tense Max Diamond  and Mr Daddy Byford  I got some nice shots along the way and got a few vids and got my seats and then called it a day after that I caught mostly  every set of R42 which was at Pitkin there was about 3 of them and then that makes 4 since that R42 deheaded  back to pitkin yard so yes my day was a 50/50 LOL.

37 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

They should have painted those doors blue and added the strip. Would have been a major throwback especially with the giant front route letter. But oh well what’s done is done. 

They actually could’ve theoretically done that with the R42-R40M pair lying around, but idk

Wow...Andy even caught the final run...i.couldn't make the final due to work....no biggie tho i rode those so much as the (L) use to be my home line growing up then the (J)...so those cars was so normal...good to see the back in the day signage...(NYCT)...I can only imagine what it's gonna be like when R32s make there last run...:lol:

1 hour ago, Shore El Express said:

What is the fate of the R42 used? Currently stored at pitkin? If so, where will they go after?

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

work service

Those that are in the best condition will definitely be saved for Work Service; the others, as per this article, will go to Sims Metal Management in New Jersey to be scrapped.