R-42 Final Run Retirement - February 12th, 2020

+Young+

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ima say again that the R42’s final run was truly a Golden Experience. 

As with the foamers running out of every stop, that was something. I only ran out for 1 picture at 2 or 3 stations. I was in the first car during the 207th bound ride, every time a 179 passed, the foamers started chanting “Scrap that shit”. They did it too loud that the operator had to come out and tell them to stop cursing. At the final trip, I no longer had to watch over my younger colleagues from Transit since they were not my problem anymore. 

I also managed to show Mr. Byford my NYC Subway bottlenecks Map and took a picture with him. 

One last thing, @Union Tpke @Coney Island Av, it was nice seeing you two at the trip!

5 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

Heard one of the museum bigwigs say this was lowkey a test of whats to come for the R32 retirement which will most likely be in March or April, might be even pushed back as this run was supposed to happen a few weeks ago but the R179’s got sidelined.

The R32's should end on the line they started on.

23 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

It would be cool to see them on the (Q) but I feel like the (A) will be chosen again. Everything in recent times retires off of the (A) and (C) lines for some reason. Wouldn’t be surprised if the R46s did as well even though I would love to see the (F) retire them despite CBTC. 

3 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

I'd like to see the R32s on the (D) since they haven't been on that line since GOH. The (B) would be fun too.

Word up i agree...The (D) is like the (A) to me...Any different equipment is a upgrade to me regardless if new or old...I mean those R68's been on the (D) forever...

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

It would be cool to see them on the (Q) but I feel like the (A) will be chosen again. Everything in recent times retires off of the (A) and (C) lines for some reason. Wouldn’t be surprised if the R46s did as well even though I would love to see the (F) retire them despite CBTC. 

16 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

I'd like to see the R32s on the (D) since they haven't been on that line since GOH. The (B) would be fun too.

Maybe they should retire on the (Q), because the oldest in-service cars on the newest section of track (2 Av). I think that the (C) would also be good, as it has run them all these years. The R46s should, IMO retire on the (R) or (A)They have run on the (R) and (A) for a really long time.

4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

they definitely should end on the (Q) (which is where they first started). if not they should have them run on (B)(F) or the (N).

2 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

would definitely be. both lines have amazing outdoor sections. 

2 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

i heard some foamers were misbehaving and they stole some signs and the "scrap that s**t"

they definitely were. at euclid avenue foamers were going apeshit and yelling and screaming when the 42 depart and they even stole some posters. additionally whenever we passed a 179 while on board the 42, the foamers were like "BOOO R179!!!!!!" the train was also mad crowded and packed. and after the final run the foamers went apeshit yet again when they saw a 42 across the platform. 

10 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Ima say again that the R42’s final run was truly a Golden Experience. 

As with the foamers running out of every stop, that was something. I only ran out for 1 picture at 2 or 3 stations. I was in the first car during the 207th bound ride, every time a 179 passed, the foamers started chanting “Scrap that shit”. They did it too loud that the operator had to come out and tell them to stop cursing. At the final trip, I no longer had to watch over my younger colleagues from Transit since they were not my problem anymore. 

I also managed to show Mr. Byford my NYC Subway bottlenecks Map and took a picture with him. 

One last thing, @Union Tpke @Coney Island Av, it was nice seeing you two at the trip!

it definitely was man! i absolutely loved it when byford came on the loudspeaker at 80 St (tho sadly i didnt get a video of it). hopefully despite his resignation he will attend the final run of the 32s as well which is a possibility since hes considered staying in the city. 

and the foamers definitely were misbehaving lmao.

EDIT: another thing i have also learned is that no matter what happens in railfanning/busfanning (whether it be the retirement of the 42s, RTS, D60HF, etc.) i will always come back to fanning. its something i have never truly given up on and will never for the forseeable future especially since i have always  aspired to become a train operator or conductor or even a bus operator one day... 

Edited by Coney Island Av

At Euclid Av, after 3:10 PM. The proper send-off as doors closed, crews check to see if all passengers were off the train, and then waited at least 5 minutes in moment of silence. As they leave NYCT  with its classic logos and signage for the final time with cheering and applause, an R179  (A) arrived at the Manhattan side. That is as the past meets the future. 

The R42s, Gone but never forgotten.

Edited by Calvin

2 hours ago, Calvin said:

At Euclid Av, after 3:10 PM. The proper send-off as doors closed, crews check to see if all passengers were off the train, and then waited at least 5 minutes in moment of silence. As they leave NYCT  with its classic logos and signage for the final time with cheering and applause, an R179  (A) arrived at the Manhattan side. That is as the past meets the future. 

"Don't make me come back out, y'hear?"

2 hours ago, Calvin said:

It was not there 5 min after crews checked. It left pretty quickly. It had too as there were a bunch of trains that needed to come in, the next train came in on the (C) track if anyone was paying attention.

On 2/12/2020 at 8:26 PM, NewFlyer 230 said:

They should have painted those doors blue and added the strip. Would have been a major throwback especially with the giant front route letter. But oh well what’s done is done. 

They could have used shrink wrapping like they did on those fancily done 160's. Every time I see those on the (E), with that turquoise blue on the wall, it would remind me of the original R32-42 scheme.

18 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

17 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Since they apparently wanted the last run of the 42's on a "mainline" (and not simply the (J) where they were all running in the end), it would have been more fitting for the (D), where they ran far longer than on the (A). (Basically, a solid 20 years, from their arrival to the completion of the 68/68A order).

The 32's were mainstays on the (D) most of that whole period as well, but as "Brightliners", they probably should finish where they started; the Brighton line (Q).

Edited by Eric B

The R32's are synonymous with the BMT Broadway lines in my memory.  They have been largely absent from the Brighton Line during most of my railfanning years (I rode them far more often on the N as well as on the RR back in the day), but I agree that the Q would be a great symbolic route for the final run.  

Edited by RailBus63

Or they can have the r32's have it's final run on the (C) train because they been running on them for years. But I do agree that the r32's should have it's final run on the (Q) because that's where they first started on. I think the MTA should retire the r32's when it hits 60 years old. I feel like that's a big number for it to end it's run. I don't know why they are rushing these cars to retire. Wouldn't they face a car shortage if they retired all of the r32's this spring 2020. In my Opinion, I think they should wait until all of the r211's are in service and then they can start retiring them. But I think it depends on how long they can keep on going. What if the R179'S experience problems again. It's unlikely the r32's as an option would have it's final run on the (F) due to CBTC preparation happening along the Queens Blvd Line. I think the (B)(D) and the (N) would all be good options for the r32's to have it's final run if they can't run them on the (Q).

20 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

it definitely was man! i absolutely loved it when byford came on the loudspeaker at 80 St (tho sadly i didnt get a video of it). hopefully despite his resignation he will attend the final run of the 32s as well which is a possibility since hes considered staying in the city. 

and the foamers definitely were misbehaving lmao.

EDIT: another thing i have also learned is that no matter what happens in railfanning/busfanning (whether it be the retirement of the 42s, RTS, D60HF, etc.) i will always come back to fanning. its something i have never truly given up on and will never for the foreseeable future especially since i have always  aspired to become a train operator or conductor or even a bus operator one day... 

I ran into you without even realizing it @Coney Island Av. As for @LaGuardia Link N Tra and @Union Tpke, I don't know if I even met you on that excursion run to Euclid. But I definitely rode with @Dj Hammers in the conductor pair from Washington Heights - 168th Street to Inwood - 207th Street and back to East New York - Euclid Avenue as the 2:01 out of Inwood - 207th Street. Thank the gods that he announced them according to how it was signed and in three cases (for B'way Junction, Canal Street and Chambers Street) how it was identified initially. I knew that as the 179 A train numbered 3318 to 3327 was coming to 207 on the east track, there were gonna be hooligans making shenanigans of those lemons, and it actually happened - yet I was not surprised. I saw that the folk from Transit Tech could be very troublesome, as well as jerks and killjoys. I just wanted to comment on how you said there were foamers that just went nuts over what transpired.

However, this was definitely a ride for Transit History, and I loved the moment when, at Euclid, a motorman from the corporate era told Hammers about how 4572 to 4573 was identified as the pair that rain in The French Connection. His explanation was that he drove that pair. As for Hammers, he was a cool guy and I loved riding with him. Due to the noise that was made, it was sometimes difficult to hear what he was saying over the main intercom when he was detailing the history surrounding the 42. Nevertheless, I consider it a joy to have taken part in that farewell run, one that I would always remember.

Not to mention the fact that about 30 people kept running out of the rear car of the train to take a photo and then try to run back inside before the doors closed. 

It also apparently got so bad in the motor car that the operator had to come out of the can and tell the ones who kept cursing at everything to be quiet.

On 2/13/2020 at 3:16 AM, Yankees4life said:

And now watch them bring it back when the R179s shit the bed again 😂🤣

That's unlikely to happen; they were already done with for the most part. If anything, we would likely be going back to how in the final years of the corporate era, they decided to retire the 30, which caused a fleet shortage at the time. This scenario would happen with the remaining 32 as well, although I hope that there would be pairs placed in reserve if the 179 decided to pull an I Robot.

45 minutes ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

I saw that the folk from Transit Tech could be very troublesome, as well as jerks and killjoys

Being a student (junior) from Transit Tech, there were a few students (Mainly freshmen) that caused a little bit of a racket, but they got mixed up with the other foamers outside of Transit. Also,  1:00 is when school ends for us on Wednesday’s, so Around that point, I eventually ended up being there independently. 

To be honest. I was a little embarrassed by how some of the kids from my school behaved, but hey. I can’t control their actions. 

44 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

It also apparently got so bad in the motor car that the operator had to come out of the can and tell the ones who kept cursing at everything to be quiet.

I remember that, I was in the first car going 207th Bound. Every time a 179 passed by, people began chanting (which I personally didn’t understand. Yeah, I know they’re not that great but that wasn’t necessary). I just sat there in the middle of the racket. NGL, I initially thought the Operator told everyone to be quiet. I was low key embarrassed even though I didn’t take part in the chanting.