R-42 Final Run Retirement - February 12th, 2020

+Young+

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/13/2020 at 1:38 PM, Lawrence St said:

The R32's should end on the line they started on.

I think they should run a special 4 boro route - (E)/(F) from either QBL terminal, down Broadway as (Q) to CI, then back as (D) from CI to BPB.

But I imagine that’d confuse the folks who get on that aren’t rail fanning.

16 hours ago, Deucey said:

I think they should run a special 4 boro route - (E)/(F) from either QBL terminal, down Broadway as (Q) to CI, then back as (D) from CI to BPB.

But I imagine that’d confuse the folks who get on that aren’t rail fanning.

I say have 3 runs:

1. 207 St to Bay Pkwy (signed up as the (C))
    • 207 St to 168 St on (A)
    • 168 St to Jay St on (C)
    • Jay St to 4 Av-9 St on <F>
    • 4 Av-9 St to Coney Island on (F)
    • Coney Island to Bay Pkwy on (D)
  2. Bay Pkwy to 96 St-2 Av (signed up as the (orangeQ))
    • Bay Pkwy to 36 St on (D)
    • 36 St to 57 St-7 Av on the (N)
    • 57 St-7 Av to 96 St-2 Av on the (Q)
  3. 96 St-2 Av to Jamaica Center (signed up as the (brownM))
    • 96 St-2 Av to Lexington Av-63 St on the (Q)
    • Lexington Av-63 St to 47-50 Sts on the (F)
      • Reverse Move at 47-50 Sts
    • 47-50 Sts to Forest Hills-71 Av on the (M)
    • Forest Hills-71 Av to Jamaica Center on the (E)

7 minutes ago, Deucey said:

Are there even enough R68/A models to replace R32s and still make (B)(D)(N)(Q)(W) service?

No. You can do the math on Google for the overall B Division stock. The (B) runs 25 trainsets, the (D) 29, the (N) / (W) combined 33, and the (Q) 21. There are 425 R68s (with nine singles for the Franklin Shuttle) and 200 R68As. That, in addition to the 750 R46s, some assigned to Pitkin for the (A) and Rockaway Shuttle, and the rest still being swapped gradually from Jamaica to Coney Island in exchange for R160s.

@Calvin, yes for a brief period of time in December 2008 alongside R40s. However, the (MTA) refused to add in new C/R boards exclusively for the R40s and R42s, so T/Os had to stop all the way at the 10 or S car markers, causing a 120 feet gap in the rear and some customers got fell, tripped, or got hurt running for the train. That's one of the reasons for the (MTA) prolonging the R32 retirement. 

Edited by Jemorie

If the R32's do retire and the R46's are the replacements, It would be logical to give the (C) 140 R68's in trade of 140 R46's since the (B) has 2 terminals and the (N)(W) always switch cars. the (C) has one terminal, I wouldn't be surprised if this happened since the (C) has one terminal.

11 hours ago, Jemorie said:

No. You can do the math on Google for the overall B Division stock. The (B) runs 25 trainsets, the (D) 29, the (N) / (W) combined 33, and the (Q) 21. There are 425 R68s (with nine singles for the Franklin Shuttle) and 200 R68As. That, in addition to the 750 R46s, some assigned to Pitkin for the (A) and Rockaway Shuttle, and the rest still being swapped gradually from Jamaica to Coney Island in exchange for R160s.

@Calvin, yes for a brief period of time in December 2008 alongside R40s. However, the (MTA) refused to add in new C/R boards exclusively for the R40s and R42s, so T/Os had to stop all the way at the 10 or S car markers, causing a 120 feet gap in the rear and some customers got fell, tripped, or got hurt running for the train. That's one of the reasons for the (MTA) prolonging the R32 retirement. 

yeah putting the R40.42's on the (C) was to kill off the R32's early and it backfired real bad and within 3.5 weeks later the R32's went back to the (C). this showed how retarded NYCT Ops Planning and car equipment was. As a railfan it was very interesting but it wasn't practical.

11 years later they still want the R32's out with no replacement for the last 100-120 cars.

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

If the R32's do retire and the R46's are the replacements, It would be logical to give the (C) 140 R68's in trade of 140 R46's since the (B) has 2 terminals and the (N)(W) always switch cars. the (C) has one terminal, I wouldn't be surprised if this happened since the (C) has one terminal.

yeah putting the R40.42's on the (C) was to kill off the R32's early and it backfired real bad and within 3.5 weeks later the R32's went back to the (C). this showed how retarded NYCT Ops Planning and car equipment was. As a railfan it was very interesting but it wasn't practical.

11 years later they still want the R32's out with no replacement for the last 100-120 cars.

35 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

If anything, 80 or so will be in storage at Pitkin. No reason not to have longer (C) and (G) trains if these cars still work.

During the R160 phase in back in the late 2000s, they want (or wanted) to make sure that C/Rs on all lines in the system have not only operating controls but also a seat as well, including the (A) and (C). That’s why when the (C) used R40s and R42s in December 2008, they kept them 480 feet long rather than adding two cars per train to make them 600 feet. The B ends of the R40s and R42s did not have operating controls or a seat. Only the A ones did. On top of that, they refused to just add in new C/R boards at all (C) stations because of costs. So they just the R40s and R42s at 480 feet long and stopped at the 10 or S car markers, cashing that 120 feet mad dash in the rear.

For the 75 footers on the (C), it means two T/Os at Euclid Avenue Relay, which does not have a track bed for T/Os to walk to the other end of the train, raising costs, compared to 168th Street Relay, which has a track bed for T/Os to walk to the other end of the train.

For the R32s on the (A), C/Rs don’t get a seat at the B ends, but the B ends of the R32s still have operating controls for C/Rs regardless.

That’s why the (A) and (C) car assignment is still the same as always like before.

9 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

I still don't buy that the R32's retirement is imminent. They aren't that stupid. 

its rumored the idiot in albany is pushing them to get rid of them by the spring.

that's why they want the R46's on the (C) to replace the R32's and have them run on the (A) until they take them out for good.

Edited by R32 3838

On 2/22/2020 at 7:22 PM, Jova42R said:

Late April, according to a T/O i talked to. Also, supposedly the R68s are replacing the R32s on the (C). any insight on that?

That T/O is a railfan and not in the Car equipment division. Coney Island yard is having problems with the R46’s they have and do not have enough R68/A equipment to spare. Coney Island recently got two sets of R68’s from Concourse Yard. 

2 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

its rumored the idiot in albany is pushing them to get rid of them by the spring.

that's why they want the R46's on the (C) to replace the R32's and have them run on the (A) until they take them out for good.

IMO they should keep 130 R32’s for (A) service and (A) put ins. This way the (A) can have majority of 60ft equipment. But, many operators and conductors complain about the R32’s, so TSS’ push to keep them out of service. 

14 hours ago, VIP said:

IMO they should keep 130 R32’s for (A) service and (A) put ins. This way the (A) can have majority of 60ft equipment. But, many operators and conductors complain about the R32’s, so TSS’ push to keep them out of service. 

I agree with this, just keep the (A) at 7 sets and lay up most of them after the rush.

CI is gonna have alot of issues with the R46's because the (G)(N) is gonna run them 24/7 now vs. the (A) which was the only line to run them 24/7 (including both lefferts and rock pk shuttles) the (R) only ran a few overnight as shuttles but the majorty of the (R) 's fleet was laid up

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

I agree with this, just keep the (A) at 7 sets and lay up most of them after the rush.

CI is gonna have alot of issues with the R46's because the (G)(N) is gonna run them 24/7 now vs. the (A) which was the only line to run them 24/7 (including both lefferts and rock pk shuttles) the (R) only ran a few overnight as shuttles but the majorty of the (R) 's fleet was laid up

I think they should make the (B) 100% R46 but you have Dispatchers and crews at Ditmars that get flustered with sudden changes in service and changing signs... but they should enforce crews on WAA onto the platform and change signs as need be. (Problem solved) 

2 hours ago, VIP said:

I think they should make the (B) 100% R46 but you have Dispatchers and crews at Ditmars that get flustered with sudden changes in service and changing signs... but they should enforce crews on WAA onto the platform and change signs as need be. (Problem solved) 

What does the acronym WAA stand for? 

1 hour ago, danielhg121 said:

What does the acronym WAA stand for? 

Work as Assigned. I have changed signs when our (5) service was screwed up and I was a M/M at the time. We did it to help out because my job didn’t have any WAA time at the Dyre end. I did the same thing earlier in my career when I worked at Lenox on the (3) line. Back then we had a family type atmosphere in RTO where supervision and hourly looked out for each other. I made a trip on the (2) one evening because the Flatbush dispatcher needed someone even though I was a (5) line guy. I liked him and he needed help that night. Word travels fast in RTO and I was looked after by supervision throughout my career. WAA means exactly that but there are some who have to be ordered while my generation took it as “ one hand washes the other “ . Maybe some active RTO folks can elaborate how it works now. Carry on.