GCT confusion

ultrarunner2020

Hey guys;

I have been traveling through GCT  from Metro North to the Port Authority bus terminal mostly on weekends, but occasionally weekdays.
With the construction in the area of the Shuttle station, I find myself in a different place each time I pass through.
For example, a couple weekends ago, I was on the main concourse heading towards 42nd st. The entrance to the subway was always on both sides, but now it's one side or the other.
On this Sunday, I was directed left from the concourse level (near 42nd st) then down a rather narrow corridor, and then down a set of stairs or an escalator to the subway.
Once I had paid my fare, I could not find the corridor to the Shuttle. I'm not sure whether it was barricaded off, or that I was not in the same area I am normally when I go to the Shuttle.
I ended up taking the #7 instead, which is actually a better choice for getting to PABT.

Today (weekday) I was in the same area on the concourse level but this time I was directed to my right as I faced 42nd st.
After going through the fare gate, I looked for the #7, but the only escalator I saw was going up.
A sign at the top of the stairs leading down to the 4-5-6 platform indicated the #7 two levels down.
I descended the stairway to the 456 platform, but didn't see a stairway or escalator leading down to the #7 platform, so I returned to the top of the stairway.
Then I found the corridor to the Shuttle, and went that way.

I believe that part of my confusion between finding myself on the #7 platform that Sunday and not finding the #7 today was that I had not entered the subway at the same location.
There must be another entry point east of the main access (near the 42nd st exit), which is where I was on the Sunday when I found the #7 platform, but not the Shuttle.
I suppose I can walk between the two fare gate areas if I do so before paying my fare, and that I need to be paying more attention to the signage, which isn't all that great in the first place.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention the lower level. Sometimes the train I am on arrives on the lower level, which leads me to a completely different entrance to the subway. I end up in the same place of course - just don't need to descend a stairway. Perhaps I should just use that route instead of from the upper level.

What would be really helpful in large stations like GCT and TS is color-coded floor tiles or painted lines which could be followed to reach a particular subway line.

In the mean time, I am looking for a good map of the GCT subway stations (including access from concourse level). It's too bad Google Street View doesn't go inside buildings like GCT!

Edited by ultrarunner2020

Check this out: http://www.projectsubwaynyc.com/

Grand Central:

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/42nd-street-grand-central-station-5d01c5209f01463baa647ee772e3181d

The staircases down to the 7 from the 4/5/6 platforms are underneath the staircases to get to the 4/5/6 - you need to double back after you go down, they're right behind you.

If you enter on the very far east entrance, around 42nd St / 3rd Avenue, you can only go down to the 7, and not to any other line. You can then go up to the other lines from the 7 platform.

The shuttle passageway is the long hallway to the left.

On 2/12/2020 at 9:03 PM, ultrarunner2020 said:

There must be another entry point east of the main access (near the 42nd st exit), which is where I was on the Sunday when I found the #7 platform, but not the Shuttle.
I suppose I can walk between the two fare gate areas if I do so before paying my fare, and that I need to be paying more attention to the signage, which isn't all that great in the first place.

If the subway entrance by the west stairs (Vanderbilt Av) or 42nd/Madison are still open, use those to get to (S).

Although if you enter the subway from the GCT stairs are 42nd/Park, there’s a long walkway that takes you to (S) to the right of the turnstiles past the escalator to (7).

I sympathize - I used to get lost in GCT until I started working near there.