Which Bus Routes should we eliminate?

danig1220

On 4/2/2020 at 11:21 PM, aemoreira81 said:

Staying on the topic of the B84, I have to wonder if it would be wiser to extend the B60 into Spring Creek, maintaining the B60 on Glenwood and Cozine both ways between Rockaway Parkway and Schenck Avenue, and then following Schenck and Vandalia into Spring Creek. I agree that the idea of connecting Spring Creek Basin with the (3) isn't working, but what about the (L)? Keep in mind that an earlier B84 iteration ran between Rockaway Parkway and Ashford/Wortman. That ended when it was merged into the B6, which assumed the old B84's eastern terminus became that before being extended to the New Lots Avenue (3) station.

The fact that a "B84" preexisted in that general pocket of Brooklyn, doesn't make extending the B60 in that direction any wiser.... Matter of fact, it's irrelevant.

That's not an attempt to defend actually diverting today's B84 to Canarsie (L) either, because to be honest, I'm not so sure if there's any potent enough a latent demand from those folks out in Spring Creek for the L either....

If not for having the B84 folded into the B83, I'd fold it into a branch of an eastern split of the B82 (before ever resorting to run the B60 to Spring Creek).... The portion of the B84 north of Flatlands I'd do away with.....

On 4/2/2020 at 11:21 PM, aemoreira81 said:

Speaking of other short routes, what about folding the Bx46 into the Bx6 and making that a variant of it, terminating at Yankee Stadium? (There is the legitimate question of whether it would be too much bus, but it would take people from farther west in the Bronx to employment sites on the west side of Hunts Point. I would propose this route:

• Eastbound: first stop Yankee Stadium, then follow the Bx6 route to 163 Street and Westchester Avenue. But instead of turning left, the Bx46 would continue down Rev. James A. Polite Avenue to Dawson Street, and then turn left onto Longwood Avenue.
  • Westbound, the bus would follow the current Bx46 route, then turn right from Longwood onto Prospect, and then left at 163 Street to rejoin the Bx6 Local to Yankee Stadium.

With the Bx6 now a] being articulated & b] having an SBS variant, I wouldn't bother with having the Bx46 act as a Bx6 variant.... Being that there's more people utilizing the thing in/out of industrial Hunts Point, I would sacrifice the Bx46's portion north of Southern & have it operate LTD along 149th & along Southern, running between (Bronx's) Gateway Mall and the Terminal Market.... Although it can/would, it isn't meant to help the Bx19, more than the existence of the route being more of a de facto shuttle from the South Bronx to the Terminal Market area of Hunts Point....

* think along the lines of the BL-78 & Stew Leonards...