Really stupid question about C/R duties...

duelingdragons

So I dunno if this is the case on newer trains (R142, R160, etc.) but on older trains (maybe I'm thinking of the Redbirds) the C/R cab was a tiny little compartment, it didn't go all the way across the car....

So how would they operate door closings when they were on the opposite side of the car as the doors were opening?

And for trains now, do they get the whole car so they can look out the left and right window?

If so, can passengers not walk between cars if they're in the C/R car?

So I dunno if this is the case on newer trains (R142, R160, etc.) but on older trains (maybe I'm thinking of the Redbirds) the C/R cab was a tiny little compartment, it didn't go all the way across the car....

So how would they operate door closings when they were on the opposite side of the car as the doors were opening?

And for trains now, do they get the whole car so they can look out the left and right window?

For all half-width cab cars (R32, 38, 40/M, 42, single R62As), they'd walk in-between the car so that the C/R position is on the right side of the platform. For full-width cab cars (The rest), you're right, they can look out both ways. No, you have to platform-switch cars if you're in the C/R car.

As mentioned before, each corner cab controls the doors on that side of the train and they are on opposite sides, so the C/R would have to walk through to the other side from the right side of the train to open up the left side.

Trains today have full width cabs, there are doors controls on each side of the cab, so the C/R is still always looking on the platform side of things (safety of course) when he's opening up and closing down

Passengers were allowed to walk between cars if they were by the C/R's position, but COMMON SENSE was the rule, you wouldn't interfere with the C/R if you had to walk through. Nowadays though it is illegal to walk between cars, so no one EXCEPT mta employees or cops, or people acting in an emergency situation, or people told to walk between cars by cops or train crew, can walk through.

Archived