What Would Really Raise Terminal Capacity?

CenSin

1 hour ago, Trainmaster5 said:

The big ones were 168th St on the (1) and 149th St-Concourse at the north end on the (2) and (5) line. From my understanding the diamond crossovers were deemed too costly to maintain. I was a work train guy but I believe it was a track and signal decision. I know that RTO had no say so.  My recollections.  Carry on. 

I didn't know about that one at 168th. There was a double crossover at 149th? Why would they switch it to two single crossoverS?

This is the current layout:

49655733308_9743c50f31_m.jpgTrack by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

Do you know which years these were removed? I would also love to hear about other switches removed during your time.

Thanks so much.

Edited by Union Tpke

47 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

I didn't know about that one at 168th. There was a double crossover at 149th? Why would they switch it to two single crossoverS?

This is the current layout:

49655733308_9743c50f31_m.jpgTrack by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

Do you know which years these were removed? I would also love to hear about other switches removed during your time.

Thanks so much.

The two I mentioned were around 1984-5. There was a diamond crossover removed just north of Utica Avenue on the s/b tracks entering the station, too. It was probably removed during the same time frame. Lest I forget 145th St-Lenox had two diamond crossovers, one about 3/4 of the way north of the station (within station limits) and the surviving one just north of the station leading to the terminal or the yard leads. Last I heard the "short" switch was removed leaving the one north of the station as the only one. Hope this helps. Carry on.

On 3/13/2020 at 5:40 PM, Trainmaster5 said:

The two I mentioned were around 1984-5. There was a diamond crossover removed just north of Utica Avenue on the s/b tracks entering the station, too. It was probably removed during the same time frame. Lest I forget 145th St-Lenox had two diamond crossovers, one about 3/4 of the way north of the station (within station limits) and the surviving one just north of the station leading to the terminal or the yard leads. Last I heard the "short" switch was removed leaving the one north of the station as the only one. Hope this helps. Carry on.

Interesting. If you know of any others I would really appreciate it. Thanks.