NJ Transit Coronavirus Service Cuts

njbus86

10 hours ago, Lex said:

I'd like to know that, as well, especially since it's not always easy to tell if someone's just being an ass.

Well it's actually true-ish 

While on the website/Travel Alerts and Advisories section for the buses, it does say "Travel should be limited to essential personnel only" 

That's about it to be honest. I'm just a random guy and I'm getting on the buses with no problem and I'm pretty sure the other 8-10 people I see on the buses also are just like me.

None of the drivers are saying anything.

Edited by Silver Script

Coming from a NJT bus op. You should be essential riding the buses during this time and especially after 8pm. As long as you have a ticket or mobile pass you can ride. And the buses are not free. Anyone that don’t have a ticket they are not getting on my bus PERIOD.

49 minutes ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

Coming from a NJT bus op. You should be essential riding the buses during this time and especially after 8pm. As long as you have a ticket or mobile pass you can ride. And the buses are not free. Anyone that don’t have a ticket they are not getting on my bus PERIOD.

Does NJ have a stricter fare enforcement then MTA? 

53 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Does NJ have a stricter fare enforcement then MTA? 

It’s the same, if they don’t have money we are not to argue or deny. After a while of hearing all the nonsense stories you start to say no, because it’s the fair to the paying people. You can tell who’s lying and who is not after doing it for years. New drivers have a tough time because they don’t want to get fired.

Edited by 553 Bridgeton

The MTA policy is different Local and Limited stop Buses are free as Passengers are to board through the rear doors the fare box is in the front where you are not permitted Select Bus Service fare is enforced as payment is made prior to boarding at the curbside kiosk Express Buses the fare is enforced payable with metrocard  as you board through the front door 

2 minutes ago, Suydam Street said:

The MTA policy is different Local and Limited stop Buses are free as Passengers are to board through the rear doors the fare box is in the front where you are not permitted Select Bus Service fare is enforced as payment is made prior to boarding at the curbside kiosk Express Buses the fare is enforced payable with metrocard  as you board through the front door 

This is JUST what I was going to point out.... Here in NYC, there isn't a single local bus op checking to see if you (actually) have the required fare or not.... Those backdoors open up, pax freely embark/disembark & go about their day.

11 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

This is JUST what I was going to point out.... Here in NYC, there isn't a single local bus op checking to see if you (actually) have the required fare or not.... Those backdoors open up, pax freely embark/disembark & go about their day.

That is why I'm glad I don't drive local bus lines. I'm not dealing with that mess.

Now I'm noticing that NJ Transit is either adding some more service or switching the type of bus being used. Even though in an article last week it was saying that they were doing just that on some lines.

Hilton is using Neoplans on the 1 and 25 much more often now since this morning I saw 5 of them on the 1 line but most of them was ending/beginning at the 16th Ave and 20th Street loop. And I noticed one on the 25.

It helps with the crowding issues over here at least.

On 4/9/2020 at 9:51 AM, Silver Script said:

Now I'm noticing that NJ Transit is either adding some more service or switching the type of bus being used. Even though in an article last week it was saying that they were doing just that on some lines.

Hilton is using Neoplans on the 1 and 25 much more often now since this morning I saw 5 of them on the 1 line but most of them was ending/beginning at the 16th Ave and 20th Street loop. And I noticed one on the 25.

NJ Transit loves their buses more than their trains to the point that they will keep buses from 2000 on the road till they break down. It's better than the alternative of taking the Train from 34th Street, Newark-Penn, Secaucus, Jersey City, and Newark Airport just to enter the state. 

6 hours ago, NY1635 said:

NJ Transit loves their buses more than their trains to the point that they will keep buses from 2000 on the road till they break down. It's better than the alternative of taking the Train from 34th Street, Newark-Penn, Secaucus, Jersey City, and Newark Airport just to enter the state. 

No there’s really no truth to that NJ Transit has been and still is in a state of disrepair No matter how you look at it they continuously bleed their Capital Budget to cover the Operating budget Capital Projects that should have been completed years ago haven’t been finished because of this long standing practice with that being said I wonder how long it’s going to take to build the Ridgefield Park Bus Depot because not only is Oradell an antiquated facility it is on a toxic site 

and going only up to euclid 

There doing it because it’s holding the min of 30ppl they want us to carry on the NABIS and NEOPLANS. The NEOS seat around 50 ppl and 50% of that is 30. MCIS we are only allowed to carry 26ppl.

45ft/50% of 57 seated is 26ppl

40ft/50% of 49 seated is 20ppl

30ft/50% of 34 seated is 15ppl

15 hours ago, Suydam Street said:

No there’s really no truth to that NJ Transit has been and still is in a state of disrepair No matter how you look at it they continuously bleed their Capital Budget to cover the Operating budget Capital Projects that should have been completed years ago haven’t been finished because of this long standing practice with that being said I wonder how long it’s going to take to build the Ridgefield Park Bus Depot because not only is Oradell an antiquated facility it is on a toxic site 

I kinda figured that when I saw youtube clips of NJ bus drivers counting bills while driving on the Holland Tunnel and NJ Turnpike at high speeds. 

Was mentioned earlier, but here's some updates from April:

All Coach USA operators (Rockland Coaches, ShortLine, Community Coach, and Suburban Trails) have been suspended since the end of service on April 3rd. A return date is uncertain, but they are looking into a May return. 

Academy Bus (Effective April 1st)

• Westhampton to Wall Street & Route 36 to Wall Street routes have been suspended.
  • Sayreville route has been suspended
  • Red Bank to Wall Street service down to 1 trip in each direction 
  • Route 36 to Midtown service is operating rush hour service in the peak direction (with some midday outbound service). All other off peak service suspended.
  • Shore points service south of Lincroft is reduced to one bus in each direction. Outbound buses operate every 90 minutes, inbound service operates two off peak buses only. 

• 3 weeks later...

From May 4th, NY Waterway only operating Paulus Hook-Brookfiled Place. Free shuttle buses in NJ/NJ are suspended from COIVD19 dates.

https://www.nywaterway.com/UserFiles/Files/2020/Alerts/PH_BPTModSchR5.pdf

Seastreak as well

https://seastreak.com/safety-update/

May Liberty State Park Water Taxi restore with limited hours when NJ Gov Murphy reopen state, federal parks.

http://www.sailthehudson.com/Liberty State Park Water Taxi Schedule.htm

Edited by FamousNYLover

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...