Jump to content
Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Deucey

MTA: “we only do backdoor now”

Recommended Posts

53 minutes ago, NBTA said:

I don't know about you guys, but this backdoor thing has been working, making pick ups not only faster, but even drivers operate faster because of this.

 

 

Except for a few cases where dudes feel like going 5-8 MPH on the Bx36 Limited and M11..

Probably because no 5 second MetroCard dips slowing boarding down?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, NBTA said:

I don't know about you guys, but this backdoor thing has been working, making pick ups not only faster, but even drivers operate faster because of this.

Logistically speaking, this is to be expected..... How many issues would you really run into, in a situation where buses are impeded but by so many vehicles along the way, picking up but so many people (with minimized dwell times on top of it)....

36 minutes ago, NBTA said:

Except for a few cases where dudes feel like going 5-8 MPH on the Bx36 Limited and M11..

Yeah, because they're trying to abstain from running hot... Same shit happened when I took the B41 this past Sunday; crawling along Flatbush & sitting at stops for minutes on end.... When we hit Empire, b/o flat out told us "if you're in a rush, you can take the bus behind us".... None of us got up, then he told us he'll be about 6 minutes....

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Logistically speaking, this is to be expected..... How many issues would you really run into, in a situation where buses are impeded but by so many vehicles along the way, picking up but so many people (with minimized dwell times on top of it)....

Yeah, because they're trying to abstain from running hot... Same shit happened when I took the B41 this past Sunday; crawling along Flatbush & sitting at stops for minutes on end.... When we hit Empire, b/o flat out told us "if you're in a rush, you can take the bus behind us".... None of us got up, then he told us he'll be about 6 minutes....

Have to make those time points. They’ve been telling us to slow down and pay attention to time points. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, lornaevo said:

Have to make those time points. They’ve been telling us to slow down and pay attention to time points. 

i can't currently speak for anywhere else, but in the bronx division, alot of b/o's have been called repeatedly by console to slow it down. i haven't heard of actual write ups for running hot, but definite verbal reprimands. I'm personally killing lights, sitting thru 3 cycles in the bus stop. there's really not much else to do. ain't too many folks out in actuality, from my experience, which is a good thing.. all things considered. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I’ve been slowing down for lights. Driving 15 MPH and looking at my paddle at stops. Just to make time points. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

i can't currently speak for anywhere else, but in the bronx division, alot of b/o's have been called repeatedly by console to slow it down. i haven't heard of actual write ups for running hot, but definite verbal reprimands. I'm personally killing lights, sitting thru 3 cycles in the bus stop. there's really not much else to do. ain't too many folks out in actuality, from my experience, which is a good thing.. all things considered. 

 

 

3 hours ago, lornaevo said:

Yeah, I’ve been slowing down for lights. Driving 15 MPH and looking at my paddle at stops. Just to make time points. 

Why can't you guys just take a longer swing and leave 5 mins late? Dragging along the street just causes traffic backup, especially if it's a single way street. I've never been a fan of dragging along a line, either leave 5 mins late (since that's what happens on a regular anyways), or sit at each stop or stops that don't interfere with other bus routes. 
 

Oh, and please, communicate with the passengers if you're sitting at stops to make sure that you aren't ahead of schedule. Communication is key, and I've only seen 2 drivers in S.I communicate with passengers. Other times, someone would walk up to the driver asking what's the hold up and the driver catches an attitude. Most pple don't experience a driver sitting at stops if people aren't getting on or its a red light, and some people don't use common sense, especially if they're not used to schedules. A little communication, especially when providing a service for people, goes a long way. 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

 

 

Why can't you guys just take a longer swing and leave 5 mins late? Dragging along the street just causes traffic backup, especially if it's a single way street. I've never been a fan of dragging along a line, either leave 5 mins late (since that's what happens on a regular anyways), or sit at each stop or stops that don't interfere with other bus routes. 
 

Oh, and please, communicate with the passengers if you're sitting at stops to make sure that you aren't ahead of schedule. Communication is key, and I've only seen 2 drivers in S.I communicate with passengers. Other times, someone would walk up to the driver asking what's the hold up and the driver catches an attitude. Most pple don't experience a driver sitting at stops if people aren't getting on or its a red light, and some people don't use common sense, especially if they're not used to schedules. A little communication, especially when providing a service for people, goes a long way. 

firstly, I've ALWAYS communicated if I'm killing lights to avoid being hot, going back to my probation year at East NY 11 years ago. secondly, taking a longer swing without being instructed is a write up (unauthorized delay of service) 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, lornaevo said:

Yeah, I’ve been slowing down for lights. Driving 15 MPH and looking at my paddle at stops. Just to make time points. 

nothing else to really do. depending on where you're at, there's no causing traffic to back up behind you if you're traveling 15, most tri-state drivers are impatient by nature, and will go around. speed kills with a CDL/air brakes, and having not had a incident/accident in 9 years (out of 11), I can unequivocally tell people that slowing down saves your career, if you want to maintain a career. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

firstly, I've ALWAYS communicated if I'm killing lights to avoid being hot, going back to my probation year at East NY 11 years ago. secondly, taking a longer swing without being instructed is a write up (unauthorized delay of service) 

Figured there'd be something on the books for that.... I mean, it goes without saying that arriving late somewhere due to circumstances beyond your control & intentionally commencing a trip by spotting yourself 'x' amount of minutes to end up not being early, being two very different things... I'm personally not a stickler for a bus leaving a terminal on the dot, but there are plenty of people that are....

Edited by B35 via Church

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

i can't currently speak for anywhere else, but in the bronx division, alot of b/o's have been called repeatedly by console to slow it down. i haven't heard of actual write ups for running hot, but definite verbal reprimands. I'm personally killing lights, sitting thru 3 cycles in the bus stop. there's really not much else to do. ain't too many folks out in actuality, from my experience, which is a good thing.. all things considered. 

I've heard some in Manhattan, on the M15 SBS and some on the M14 SBS while dropping off orders.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cait Sith said:

I've heard some in Manhattan, on the M15 SBS and some on the M14 SBS while dropping off orders.

I'm not surprised that they're writing up folks in Manhattan Division. they've always been overly strict in my personal opinion, but we all know why. 

 

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Figured there'd be something on the books for that.... I mean, it goes without saying that arriving late somewhere due to circumstances beyond your control & intentionally commencing a trip by spotting yourself 'x' amount of minutes to end up not being early, being two very different things... I'm personally not a stickler for a bus leaving a terminal on the dot, but there are plenty of people that are....

it's not like b/o's can come back from their swing whenever the f**k they want. tempo, flow & pacing ones' self while performing a run can only be taught to a certain extent. it's all about learn or burn. if you don't learn it, you'll be burned repeatedly... you'll always have this impending feeling of doom from always playing catch up, especially if you're not adjusted by console or a SLD. and that's no way to work 5 days a week for upwards of 40 hours a week... and forget about it if you're on the extra list. I'm a lead foot by nature (which is "perfect" if I'm doing a hawk run or late run when there's little to no traffic) but i had to learn to slow down/pace myself moreso than anyone. leaving 5 to 10 minutes down ON PURPOSE without it being authorized/verified is a big no-no. if i take a PERSONAL (an authorized/verified delay of service) which is what MOST operators do at the end of the line, regardless of if they're "on time" (which is a debatable terminology) or late, that's one thing. in this scenario, when ridership is significantly low, operators have to dig deep, and submit to the notion of dragging a line. on a good day, most of these paddles aren't built to current day road conditions in my humble opinion, so most of the time, you're fighting an uphill battle... too much time in one area, not enough time elsewhere. so take that knowledge, apply what you currently see, and reduce your tempo. people make a big deal about other cars on the road are doing or what they don't like to see b/o's do... man, listen. this ain't the f**king autobahn, and as an adult, you can't/don't live your life based on what everyone else is doing around you... that's not maturity. being an adult and having a career means being able to follow instructions, rely on your training & experience, rely on the fact that you were trained properly, rely upon your experience to diagnose a situation in real time and execute. just because it's technically rush hour and there's barely any traffic out, doesn't mean i must fly to the end of the line. if you are currently riding the system, and you know they're running reduced service on the subways, and your usual rush hour train won't show up at say 6:02am... people have to adapt, adjust & overcome, correct? so take what applies. we're all trying to figure it out. use common sense. if you see b/o's slowing down, etc. and in your simple, OCD mind, it offends your senses, too friggin' bad. adapt, adjust & overcome, just like every other adult. it's so easy to bitch, moan & complain. it's so much harder to interpret the fact that you're not any more special than anyone else... your ordeal isn't more important than anyone else's and we're all making the best of this mess.

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry
  • Thumbs Up 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

firstly, I've ALWAYS communicated if I'm killing lights to avoid being hot, going back to my probation year at East NY 11 years ago. secondly, taking a longer swing without being instructed is a write up (unauthorized delay of service) 

And if you end up getting to the terminus late after pulling that kind of stunt, well, you'd better hope you still have that job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

it's not like b/o's can come back from their swing whenever the f**k they want. tempo, flow & pacing ones' self while performing a run can only be taught to a certain extent. it's all about learn or burn. if you don't learn it, you'll be burned repeatedly... you'll always have this impending feeling of doom from always playing catch up, especially if you're not adjusted by console or a SLD. and that's no way to work 5 days a week for upwards of 40 hours a week... and forget about it if you're on the extra list. I'm a lead foot by nature (which is "perfect" if I'm doing a hawk run or late run when there's little to no traffic) but i had to learn to slow down/pace myself moreso than anyone. leaving 5 to 10 minutes down ON PURPOSE without it being authorized/verified is a big no-no. if i take a PERSONAL (an authorized/verified delay of service) which is what MOST operators do at the end of the line, regardless of if they're "on time" (which is a debatable terminology) or late, that's one thing. in this scenario, when ridership is significantly low, operators have to dig deep, and submit to the notion of dragging a line. on a good day, most of these paddles aren't built to current day road conditions in my humble opinion, so most of the time, you're fighting an uphill battle... too much time in one area, not enough time elsewhere. so take that knowledge, apply what you currently see, and reduce your tempo. people make a big deal about other cars on the road are doing or what they don't like to see b/o's do... man, listen. this ain't the f**king autobahn, and as an adult, you can't/don't live your life based on what everyone else is doing around you... that's not maturity. being an adult and having a career means being able to follow instructions, rely on your training & experience, rely on the fact that you were trained properly, rely upon your experience to diagnose a situation in real time and execute. just because it's technically rush hour and there's barely any traffic out, doesn't mean i must fly to the end of the line. if you are currently riding the system, and you know they're running reduced service on the subways, and your usual rush hour train won't show up at say 6:02am... people have to adapt, adjust & overcome, correct? so take what applies. we're all trying to figure it out. use common sense. if you see b/o's slowing down, etc. and in your simple, OCD mind, it offends your senses, too friggin' bad. adapt, adjust & overcome, just like every other adult. it's so easy to bitch, moan & complain. it's so much harder to interpret the fact that you're not any more special than anyone else... your ordeal isn't more important than anyone else's and we're all making the best of this mess.

....or not even bother with mass transit altogether.

When I finally got my license, I was always told that driving is a privilege and not a right (and that you're only as good as the driver in front you) - but no one ever says that no one is entitled to public transportation - especially the way THEY want it.... You're not entitled to a job, you're not entitled to live where you want to live (like a certain pine sniffing former member on here tends to believe), and you're not entitled to a significant other.... Nobody wants to work for shit & expects the world to be handed to them on a silver platter & fed to them with a silver spoon on top of it !

I couldn't drive for a living, for a myriad of reasons.... I've kicked family members out of my ride for being nitpicky, so strangers aren't going to have much of a chance in hell critiquing & muttering slick shit about how I drive (and what I listen to when I drive).... I'm not going to sit there & tout that "this is my car" shit, but rest assured, you're getting the f*** up out my shit..... It's like nobody respects boundaries anymore.

  • Thanks 1
  • LMAO! 2
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

....or not even bother with mass transit altogether.

When I finally got my license, I was always told that driving is a privilege and not a right (and that you're only as good as the driver in front you) - but no one ever says that no one is entitled to public transportation - especially the way THEY want it.... You're not entitled to a job, you're not entitled to live where you want to live (like a certain pine sniffing former member on here tends to believe), and you're not entitled to a significant other.... Nobody wants to work for shit & expects the world to be handed to them on a silver platter & fed to them with a silver spoon on top of it !

I couldn't drive for a living, for a myriad of reasons.... I've kicked family members out of my ride for being nitpicky, so strangers aren't going to have much of a chance in hell critiquing & muttering slick shit about how I drive (and what I listen to when I drive).... I'm not going to sit there & tout that "this is my car" shit, but rest assured, you're getting the f*** up out my shit..... It's like nobody respects boundaries anymore.

Yeah, nowadays the same respect that people used to have no longer exists. For some reason people think that they are entitled to critique what other people do with their own lives, but at the end of the day, why should I care? They don't pay my bills, they don't feed me, and they don't benefit me in any way, so f*ck them. It's so easy to yap about it, but how about actually doing it for a change? Many of these people really live with the ignorance in their brains, but tell you that you are f*cked the hell over when you act this way, because you got people who are so full of Jesus that they think that they don't got to listen to no one about anything since they self-proclaim their overly sanctified self as f*cking saints, but gtfo with that bullshit, some people just need to wake up and smell the coffee. Many of these people never appreciate what public servants do and always take it for granted.

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always think about this as the difference in how you drive for work and how you drive for yourself. I like to drive fast on my own, probably faster than I should sometimes, did some autocross, enjoy an empty highway. But when I'm driving for work (no CDL, so only small box trucks and cargo vans) it's a different pace entirely. You can try all the honking in the world behind me, I'm not changing my pace, I'm not blocking the box, I'm not taking chances. I don't take needless risks, I don't race yellow lights, I go by the book, I take the middle lane and I stick with it. Just a different mentality when it's a job versus something during your free time, you treat it differently. If I'm in my car, I probably gave myself an hour to get somewhere and I'm gonna get there in that time, and I'll hurry a little if I'm late. If it's work, I'm working the day regardless, I'll get it down in the time it takes, as close to the schedule the boss gives me.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WestFarms36 said:

Yeah, nowadays the same respect that people used to have no longer exists. For some reason people think that they are entitled to critique what other people do with their own lives, but at the end of the day, why should I care? They don't pay my bills, they don't feed me, and they don't benefit me in any way, so f*ck them. It's so easy to yap about it, but how about actually doing it for a change? Many of these people really live with the ignorance in their brains, but tell you that you are f*cked the hell over when you act this way, because you got people who are so full of Jesus that they think that they don't got to listen to no one about anything since they self-proclaim their overly sanctified self as f*cking saints, but gtfo with that bullshit, some people just need to wake up and smell the coffee. Many of these people never appreciate what public servants do and always take it for granted.

It's funny, I've gotten called cynical over time so much, it's to the point where I've embraced it..... When I point out how overly sensitive & narcissistic a lot of people are nowadays though, I'm public enemy #1.... What part of the game is that? I mean, folks have allllllll the answers for every damn body else, except but the person in the mirror.... Aye aye captain, but shit, this is a boat I'm glad I missed - and never needed a cool catchphrase called social distancing (which people still aren't really practicing, but whatever) to respect people & their boundaries.....

Oh, and you can't reciprocate any "critiques" their way either - that is, unless you want to be dealt that victim card, a nervous breakdown happening in front of you (which is my personal favorite.. lol), erratically screaming at you, threats of the police being called on you, or some other goofball, gerber cry baby shit.....

Social media is the biggest social experiment we've got going & AFAIC, it's shining a gargantuan light on people's true nature....

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here in Orlando, there is no 20 passenger limit on buses (well due to the buses running like crap) or loading through the backdoor. The seats where the wheelchair lifts are lifted with signs saying, "If space permits, do not sit here" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2020 at 1:26 AM, MHV9218 said:

I always think about this as the difference in how you drive for work and how you drive for yourself. I like to drive fast on my own, probably faster than I should sometimes, did some autocross, enjoy an empty highway. But when I'm driving for work (no CDL, so only small box trucks and cargo vans) it's a different pace entirely. You can try all the honking in the world behind me, I'm not changing my pace, I'm not blocking the box, I'm not taking chances. I don't take needless risks, I don't race yellow lights, I go by the book, I take the middle lane and I stick with it. Just a different mentality when it's a job versus something during your free time, you treat it differently. If I'm in my car, I probably gave myself an hour to get somewhere and I'm gonna get there in that time, and I'll hurry a little if I'm late. If it's work, I'm working the day regardless, I'll get it down in the time it takes, as close to the schedule the boss gives me.

I’m right with you with this statement and fully agree. Operating a cargo truck-totally different and driving one everyday is no joke either. Simple rule of life. Safety first and arrive on time.  Definitely not taking yellow lights nor red lights as GPS is monitored in all vehicles 🚗
 

An open Highway 🛣 can be your friend if you rules of the road and where the boys are hiding. However, it’s never advised to be flying down especially in these unforeseen times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.