MTA: “we only do backdoor now”

Deucey

2 hours ago, Kris Brain said:

Slightly off topic, but why is NICE allowing front boarding/payment, but nobody else?

Well, I mean, they didn't always allow for front door boarding throughout the whole ordeal.... But as far as why they decided to lift the backdoor only boarding rule before the MTA, I'd also guess it's due to NICEbus/Nassau county not being able to afford (figuratively & literally) going on with it for as long as the MTA is.... I'm a little surprised they didn't do away with backdoor only boarding sooner, to be honest.....

8 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Well, I mean, they didn't always allow for front door boarding throughout the whole ordeal.... But as far as why they decided to lift the backdoor only boarding rule before the MTA, I'd also guess it's due to NICEbus/Nassau county not being able to afford (figuratively & literally) going on with it for as long as the MTA is.... I'm a little surprised they didn't do away with backdoor only boarding sooner, to be honest.....

But now the MTA is paying for it.

6 hours ago, Kris Brain said:

But now the MTA is paying for it.

The riders will end up "paying" for it.... The riders are the ones who depend on these services.... The MTA OTOH have been quite consistent & persistent over the years when it comes to service decreases.... Don't fall for the assumption that this agency actually wants to provide as much service as they currently do.... Pay close attention to these individual borough local bus network redesigns.... The crisis (Covid) will only justify whatever (aggressive) cost-cutting measures they have in store for the bus network in this city.....

13 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

The riders will end up "paying" for it.... The riders are the ones who depend on these services.... The MTA OTOH have been quite consistent & persistent over the years when it comes to service decreases.... Don't fall for the assumption that this agency actually wants to provide as much service as they currently do.... Pay close attention to these individual borough local bus network redesigns.... The crisis (Covid) will only justify whatever (aggressive) cost-cutting measures they have in store for the bus network in this city.....

I can't help but wonder if there will be a major fleet decrease and depot closures as a result of this in the coming years. Similar to what NICE did back in 2017, but on a much worse scale...