Essential Service Plan to Begin March 25th

40MntVrn

2 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

Part Suspended
(2) trains will only run as a shuttle between E 180 St and Wakefield-241 St in the Bronx while we operate with fewer train crews. 
Posted: 3/26/20 7:00 AM

I don't understand why the (5) isn't the one doing the shuttle between 241st St and 180th St and the (2) running between Dyre Av and Flatbush Av.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

I don't understand why the (5) isn't the one doing the shuttle between 241st St and 180th St and the (2) running between Dyre Av and Flatbush Av.

Probably due to employee availability, IMO. Perhaps someone on the (2) line was ill when they arrived at 241st earlier this morning. Didn’t something similar happen at Lefferts on the (A) recently? This wasn’t a planned thing obviously looking at the time this was posted on the (MTA) site. Just my take. Carry on.

18 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

Yes, it's still correct because it's English.

And since the letter’s name came from the Greek ‘Zeta’, saying “Zee” is really an American peculiarity.

Even Canada and the Anglosphere Caribbean islands say “Zed”.

Now if we could do something about B, D and E...

And M and N.

Edited by Deucey

2 hours ago, Deucey said:

And since the letter’s name came from the Greek ‘Zeta’, saying “Zee” is really an American peculiarity.

Even Canada and the Anglosphere Caribbean islands say “Zed”.

Now if we could do something about B, D and E...

And M and N.

What about double U?

3 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Probably due to employee availability, IMO. Perhaps someone on the (2) line was ill when they arrived at 241st earlier this morning. Didn’t something similar happen at Lefferts on the (A) recently? This wasn’t a planned thing obviously looking at the time this was posted on the (MTA) site. Just my take. Carry on.

Yeah but for a simpler service pattern that would've been the way to do it. Everyone is used to the (2) operating to Manhattan, not the (5).

19 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Yeah but for a simpler service pattern that would've been the way to do it. Everyone is used to the (2) operating to Manhattan, not the (5).

Except those (5) Trains going to Brooklyn are actually (5) Train crews.

@Trainmaster5 actually what happened was someone who works the (2) Train was tested positive and as of a result a bunch of those crews are now quarantined which was why for the changes.

A lot of subway lines are beginning to see wait times between trains upwards of 20 minutes. I wouldn't be surprised if the next level of changes consists of:

The following subway routes cut back to 20 minute frequencies immediately

(5)(D) (G)(J) 

*Due to the (2) train crew issues, the fate of the (5) is left in the air. Otherwise, they would have cut the (5) train back to the Dyre Av shuttle right away.

The following subway routes to get their service curtailed (also 20-minute frequencies)

(M) - Running only from Metropolitan Av to Myrtle Av

(R) - Running only from 59 St-4 Av to Bay Ridge-95 St - (N) trains rerouted to the (R) track between 59 St-4 Av and 57 St-7 Av in both directions

the following subway routes getting suspended:

(3)(C) 

All other routes to run only every 12 minutes, and transitioned to every 20 minutes as less crews become available.

Edited by darkstar8983

2 minutes ago, Daniel The Cool said:

Except those (5) Trains going to Brooklyn are actually (5) Train crews.

@Trainmaster5 actually what happened was someone who works the (2) Train was tested positive and as of a result a bunch of those crews are now quarantined which was why for the changes.

Thanks for the update. That's what I figured. As for the (2) vs (5) signage...... well who cares? I've operated (5) trains via 7th Avenue without any complaints. General rule is/was if it's headed toward your destination get on board or get left on the platform. DTC I'm sure you've noticed the clueless ridership while making your rounds through the years. Makes you wonder, right ? Carry on.

1 hour ago, Deucey said:

It’s not a letter that gets confused with another by English speakers.

Now if you wanna get into diphthongs...

The alphabet is a rich tapestry of history. At the very least, we don’t have the added on history of diacritical marks like the French, Czechs, Turkish, Vietnamese, etc.

On 3/24/2020 at 6:12 PM, N6 Limited said:

(B)(W) and (Z)ed trains? 

I think Mario Peloquin is from Quebec. They call it (Z)ed in Canada. I think the US is alone in the English-speaking world in calling it (Z)ee. Though I never got to hear whether or not Andy Byford called it the (Z)ed train while he was here.

On 3/27/2020 at 10:27 AM, T to Dyre Avenue said:

I think Mario Peloquin is from Quebec. They call it (Z)ed in Canada. I think the US is alone in the English-speaking world in calling it (Z)ee. Though I never got to hear whether or not Andy Byford called it the (Z)ed train while he was here.

Ahh thanks. I heard a slight accent, wasn't sure where it was from.  I just thought it was interesting referring to it as the (Z)ed train in on a NYC Press conference. I haven't heard Byford refer to the (Z) train at all, he'd probably say Zed by default though.

On 3/26/2020 at 9:49 PM, CenSin said:

The alphabet is a rich tapestry of history. At the very least, we don’t have the added on history of diacritical marks like the French, Czechs, Turkish, Vietnamese, etc.

I’m “trying” to teach myself French and the silent/hard “t” and plurals made me close the book and get addicted to The Big Bang Theory instead.

Is it me or does this modified schedule appear more problematic than before it was implemented? The reduction of services seems to be putting folks into a catch-22, more and more packed trains are appearing. For the sake of my argument, let's assume that all these travelers are conducting 'essential' travel. The reduced service seems to contributing to loaded trains.

Well there's no other way around it. The MTA cannot say that they're gonna run a weekday service when they don't have the personnel to do so. If running a weekday schedule with half the service suspended equates to the reality today, then just call it what it is, an "essential" schedule.

The workforce is out sick from either the virus, displaying symptoms and being told to quarantine or from being exposed to someone with either of the two and being told to quarantine. Remember the first employee death from the virus? His positive test forced 30 other employees to stay home. Supervision is not playing around. If any employee falls into any of the three scenarios above, they are staying home. This is just the COVID related scenarios. You still have much more employees out because they have to take care of their kids and those out for the regular types of absences.

In the subways, it takes more than a train operator and a conductor to move a train from terminal to terminal. The same thing is happening with the buses. Flipping to a Saturday or Sunday schedule effectively puts less buses on the road but the numbers of available operators at each depot are different so it equates to the same thing. I had one of my co-workers say that she had to do a trip on a quadruple headway. (That is the 3 buses in front of their bus did not show) Flipping to a reduced schedule is the only way they can establish some sort of guideline for service, because the MTA can't keep lying to everyone saying that "we're doing our best job with on a weekday schedule." The reality is that service has to be reduced to continue to provide somewhat of a reliable service especially with employee availability tanking by the day.

Remember that halving a headway means double the service, which means double the equipment, which means double the bodies. And yes, the MTA can realize that hey, let's run 15 min headways to reduce overcrowding but they can't do that without employees.

I'm sure that everyone understands that workers need to get to/from work but it's not being made any better with the fact that the buses are free. I was passing by a bus stop on my home route and saw 3 kids waiting for the bus. I picked them up before, I know what stop they're going to, they're clearly not essential workers... So why are they out joyriding? The people who need to stay home aren't staying home and everyone is complaining about having service added back without realizing the whole picture. But how was everyone getting around after:

-The strike in 2005

-9/11

- Hurricane Irene

-Hurricane Sandy

-Every last blizzard where the mayor told everyone to stay home or they were getting a ticket from the cops?

Exactly my point. If the employees aren't available to work, how are you really expecting to get some place?

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/1/2020 at 10:11 PM, Deucey said:

I’m “trying” to teach myself French and the silent/hard “t” and plurals made me close the book and get addicted to The Big Bang Theory instead.

The trick is to ignore the endings when pronouncing/reading, they just provide visual context. Audibly, you have to listen for the articles.

2 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

The trick is to ignore the endings when pronouncing/reading, they just provide visual context. Audibly, you have to listen for the articles.

Sounds change as a result of “principle of least effort” and to maximize the contrast of acoustic cues. In short, humans are lazy and make errors/creative alterations; both cause changes in spoken language. These changes compete in what I term “phonological Darwinism.” The fittest (usually meaning “most efficient”) changes get passed on within the speaking population.

Writing, however, changes at a snails pace. English is the primary testament to that with many, many spellings for identical sounds and even identical spellings for different sounds. The changes to spoken English have far outpaced any adaptations to spelling and thus we have what we have today. The French, however, went backwards and changed their spelling to reintroduce letters that had been lost since Latin! For example, we have modern French doigt meaning “finger.” But the old French spelling was doit/doi. Some scholars had decided to add back letters from the Latin source of the word: digitus. Thus, they have the spelling 〈doigt〉 in which the 〈g〉 is not pronounced in any of the inflections. In writing, however, the spelling distinguishes the word from many other identically-pronounced words:

• doigt (finger);
  • doigts (fingers);
  • dois (first/second-person singular present indicative of devoir);
  • doit (third-person singular present indicative of devoir);
  • doua (third-person singular past historic of douer);
  • douas (second-person singular past historic of douer);
  • douât (third-person singular imperfect subjunctive of douer)

This is not too different from Chinese or Japanese in which many characters have identical pronunciations. Works written in ancient Chinese had characters which exhibited very little homophony and could be read aloud without ambiguity. However, today they can only be read silently (with the eyes). The homophony is sometimes bad enough that in some rare cases, the pronunciation had to be officially changed by a government committee (see: 肝癌 gān'ái ← gānyán).

Still, why is any of this useful for French learners? Because in some cases, the “silent” letters are really just dormant sounds ready to leap into action in the right phonetic environment (e.g.: vous → [vu_], but vous avez → [vu.za.ve]). You remember just one base spelling, and apply standard pronunciation rules to get the spoken form.

[/off-topic]