1 dead, 16 injured in subway fire

trainfan22

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, GojiMet86 said:

It could have been a shopping cart thrown into the third rail.

The fire started in the tunnel. That seems very unlikely.  There were fires at other stations nearby. Also, the fire broke out INSIDE the subway car. Arson seems most likely.

Edited by Union Tpke

2 minutes ago, DCTransitFilms said:

6347 is a goner. What other cars were damaged if anybody knows?

The whole set is likely kaput. 6346-6350. Even if the cars in the back of the set, 6349 and 6350, were not heavily damaged, I do not know what NYCT would do with an A car and a B car. 6346 and 6348 are almost certainly destroyed.

Edited by Union Tpke

1 minute ago, Union Tpke said:

The whole set is likely kaput. 6346-6350. Even if the cars in the back of the set, 6349 and 6350, were not heavily damaged, I do not know what NYCT would do with an A car and a B car. 

probably could become a training set then. If not they'll just store it somewhere then. 

UNBELIEVABLE.....My coindolences to the subway conductor and his family....I mean with all the virus stuff going on and many Tri State area ppl  losing there lives due to it....I cant believe someone would actually start a train fire if thats in case the cause of the fire....

If this (and/or any of the other reported incidents) is found to be intentional, the person(s) responsible should face terrorism charges. Might be an unpopular opinion, but that's how I honestly feel; just throw the book at 'em.

As for what the surviving consist is.... Does it matter? Between the investigation and the repairs we won't see whatever ends up being salvageable in service for about a year anyways.

1 minute ago, paulrivera said:

If this (and/or any of the other reported incidents) is found to be intentional, the person(s) responsible should face terrorism charges. Might be an unpopular opinion, but that's how I honestly feel; just throw the book at 'em.

As for what the surviving consist is.... Does it matter? Between the investigation and the repairs we won't see whatever ends up being salvageable in service for about a year anyways.

Definitely arson based on how many fires were set and how quickly they burned.

The train will sit in the yard for years for insurance purposes.. like many other wrecked subway cars of years past. 

Most likely what will happen is the good cars in the burned set will be stripped of parts to use in other 142s, the other 5 car set would eventually return to service and the burned cars would get scrapped. But in the grand scheme of things who really cares what happened to the consist, someone died here.

Edited by trainfan22

1 minute ago, trainfan22 said:

The train will sit in the yard for years for insurance purposes.. like many other wrecked subway cars of years past. 

Most likely what will happen is the good cars in the burned set will be stripped of parts to use in other 142s, the other 5 car set would eventually return to service and the burned cars would get scrapped. But in the grand scheme of things who really cares who happened to the consist, someone died here.

Should come as no surprised as you're dealing with subway buffs here lol

R.I.P to the conductor. These pics shook me up and lost of life is no joke. 

51 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

6346 and 6348 are almost certainly destroyed.

Not quite, you can see from photos from the cars around it that 6347 was the only one to be completely gutted from the fire. My guess is they may use less damaged cars as parts donors, or even use them for some mid-life overhaul mockup considering that with CBTC upgrades, the R142/A fleet is planned to also receive a GOH-type refresh. And yeah, I do expect them to now tack on an extra 5 cars to the R262 order.