1 dead, 16 injured in subway fire

trainfan22

2 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

The responses kinda remind me of this video...

There is a reason why I mentioned the subway car stuff after mentioning what was really important here.

1 minute ago, Enjineer said:

Not quite, you can see from photos from the cars around it that 6347 was the only one to be completely gutted from the fire. My guess is they may use less damaged cars as parts donors, or even use them for some mid-life overhaul mockup considering that with CBTC upgrades, the R142/A fleet is planned to also receive a GOH-type refresh. And yeah, I do expect them to now tack on an extra 5 cars to the R262 order. 

From the photos, it looked like the other ones were damaged to me.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

The whole set is likely kaput. 6346-6350. Even if the cars in the back of the set, 6349 and 6350, were not heavily damaged, I do not know what NYCT would do with an A car and a B car. 6346 and 6348 are almost certainly destroyed.

from what i am hearing, yes, 6346-50 will almost definitely either get scrapped or stored for parts. there is simply no way MTA can repair damage of that magnitude. however i have also heard that only the first few (maybe 5) cars were damaged. the other five cars in the whole consist were left unharmed and can return to service. also, did that (3) train behind the damaged (2) train receive damage as well? 

but in all honesty i am very shocked about this incident. the train operator is a hero for his actions when the fire broke out. 110 St will probably be knocked out for a good while due to it being severely damaged. this is a very tough week for MTA considering the death of two employees as a result of the virus and this. additionally, the pictures from the incident heavily remind me of post-9/11 photos, due to this vast amount of damage and destruction. thank you for updating us about the incident.

Edited by Coney Island Av

Just now, Coney Island Av said:

from what i am hearing, yes, 6346-50 will almost definitely either get scrapped or stored for parts. there is simply no way MTA can repair damage of that magnitude. however i have also heard that only the first few (maybe 5) cars were damaged. the other five cars in the whole consist were left unharmed and can return to service. also, did that (3) train behind the damaged (2) train receive damage as well? 

but in all honesty i am very shocked about this incident. the train operator is a hero for his actions when the fire broke out. 110 St will probably be knocked out for a good while due to it being severely damaged. this is a very tough week for MTA considering the death of two employees as a result of the virus and this. thank you for updating us about the incident.

Do you have information other than what is publicly available concerning the damage?

No problem about keeping everyone updated.

1 minute ago, Union Tpke said:

From the photos, it looked like the other ones were damaged to me.

ukUzBX5.png

The rubber on the doors peeled and there seems to be some water and smoke damage, but overall, considering the firebombed 4 train back in the day was repaired, this doesn't seem like they'll have to scrap other cars besides 6347. If they can salvage parts and equipment from them, I assume they will do exactly that. 

3 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

the other five cars in the whole consist were left unharmed and can return to service.

I saw a video, from what it looks like, yes. Maybe some smoke damage, but they almost certainly will be able to come back into service. 

2 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

also, did that (3) train behind the damaged (2) train receive damage as well? 

No, the (3) was unharmed. 

Edit: there was also a video of someone who was on the scene, showing the rear half of the train in the station filled with smoke. Here's a screencap showing the end of the train

t1JMlMB.png

Edited by Enjineer

30 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The last thing anyone should be worrying about is the stupid train cars, which can be replaced... <_<

Agreed in entirety.

Unfortunately, your words seem to have gone over many people's heads- a crime worthy of federal investigation was committed, an employee died in the line of duty, but no, all they keep asking about is "OMG what happens to the R142s"...  Has anyone stopped to think about what will happen to the family he left behind?

Un-f**king-believable, really and truly...

Yeah c'mon guys this is appalling. Who gives a shit about the equipment? And no, this is not because somebody didn't like the rolling stock used. I know there's a lot of mental illness in the transit community, and we don't need to yell at those people for their responses to this, but the rest of you guys gotta get it together on this. A man is dead. And this looks a whole lot like arson.

I found an on-scene video on the incident, for those interested. WARNING: This content could be disturbing for some viewers.

This was definitely not something myself or anyone would’ve expected to happen. My heart goes to the family of the MTA worker who lost his life on duty; I can’t imagine what they must be going through right now. As New Yorkers, we must remain strong, through these tough times.

Edited by SimplyMyself
Included warning.

Something to be thankful for here is that the T/O got the train to 110. Tunnel fires are scary; tunnel fires in deep bored tunnels built to 1900s egress standards and with little fire protection could have been even more catastrophic. My heart goes out to the family of the deceased; he's a hero.

besides the tragic death of the train operator, i am thankful for another thing. i am thankful that the fires didnt kill as much people as they would have. lets say this happened during a packed, regular weekday rush hour (disregarding coronavirus). the death toll would have been much more higher and catastrophic, and would have been much worse than what it was. again i'm not saying this was a good thing, i am just saying that it is a total miracle that the death toll wasn't as high as it would have been. 

while i will admit that i do indeed care about the subway (and the fleet in general) i also do have respect for the train operators as well. the operator still was able to get a good amount of passengers off the train and to safety. even outside this incident, they still risk their own lives by carefully trying to maneuver the trains properly, carrying hundreds of passengers. the burden/responsibility placed on a regular T/O even is super high all the time given that the safety/risk of many civilians/riders is all in their hands when they operate a moving train. this incident along with the deaths of two TA employees due to the ongoing virus recently represents a rough time for MTA, but one that everyone here will eventually recover from. 

28 minutes ago, RR503 said:

Something to be thankful for here is that the T/O got the train to 110. Tunnel fires are scary; tunnel fires in deep bored tunnels built to 1900s egress standards and with little fire protection could have been even more catastrophic. My heart goes out to the family of the deceased; he's a hero.

It would have been really bad under the park.

Do you know how much having a ventilation plant in this tunnel section would have helped?

50 minutes ago, SimplyMyself said:

I found an on-scene video on the incident, for those interested. WARNING: This content could be disturbing for some viewers.

This was definitely not something myself or anyone would’ve expected to happen. My heart goes to the family of the MTA worker who lost his life on duty; I can’t imagine what they must be going through right now. As New Yorkers, we must remain strong, through these tough times.

How the heck did this person get to video this? What is their problem? Let the firefighters do the work and STAY BACK.

3 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

How the heck did this person get to video this? What is their problem? Let the firefighters do the work and STAY BACK.

Apparently there’s a couple other videos on YouTube (different perspectives). I’m going to assume that they’re firefighters on-duty, but maybe someone on here can give a better answer.

Just now, SimplyMyself said:

Apparently there’s a couple other videos on YouTube (different perspectives). I’m going to assume that they’re firefighters on-duty, but maybe someone on here can give a better answer.

Can you link the other videos? This guy's description for his channel says " I try my best to get every fire and response video as possible. I take my own time to get everything. Mainly in the West Hudson /South Bergen towns but if I can get to other places. I will. This is a hobby not anything more."