1 dead, 16 injured in subway fire

trainfan22

24 minutes ago, NYCTNostalgia said:

Just to give a little background on the Intervale incident:

"On March 15, 1989, three men set the wooden station house on fire after a failed attempt to rob the token booth. The clerk was not seriously injured, while the suspects fled and were never identified.

After the incident, New York City Transit considered closing this station permanently due to its close proximity to Prospect Avenue and Simpson Street. However, a community uproar led to the scrapping of the plans. The station was rebuilt with steel canopies and windscreens and a concrete station house with glass block windows and embossed leather-looking walls. Renovations took two and a half years. Artwork called El 2/El 5 by Michael Kelly Williams was installed in the mezzanine and features two mosaic murals depicting underground and elevated tracks. The renovated station reopened on April 21, 1992 after 20 months of work was completed."

This is super tragic. I can't believe this happened.

And it still hasn't been renovated to look like the other stations. This prob played a role in shafting it for the renovations, they probably thought it's relatively new compared to the other stations on the line.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Multiple sources told THE CITY that authorities discovered a charred shopping cart with a possible accelerant inside the second car of a northbound No. 2 train that filled with smoke and flames as it pulled into the Central Park North-110th Street station at 3:14 a.m — around the same time as three other fires in and around the subway system.

https://thecity.nyc/2020/03/motormans-death-in-subway-fire-adds-to-transit-worker-fears.html

35 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

That link seems not to be working correctly.

Read all the posts in here.  That was an incredible job from all accounts just to get the train into 110th given where apparently that fire started.

Whoever did that had to be sick and should have the book thrown at them.

21 hours ago, Q23 via 108 said:

I remeber reading some where that some one burned the Intervale Av Station in the 80s or 90s. But this has to be the worst case of arson ever commited on the Subway. Rest In Piece to the T/0 and they should honor him in some way.

When they rebuild that station they should make a plaqe of him. Or even rename the station after him. But he deserves to honored for his bravery. Rename the station 110 St - Goble.

That was in March 1989 after a failed robbery attempt. Those arsonists were never caught. The station was closed for more than 3 years and the MTA actually considered abandoning the station at one point.

On a train, however, you have, on an R62, the firebombing of car 1391 on the 4 train (but the R62 has metal walls). That arsonist, Edward Leary (who was also the most seriously injured person as he set the firebomb off) was denied parole last year on his first attempt and, it still alive, will be up again in September 2021.

1 hour ago, SimplyMyself said:

Apparently there was another subway car fire at 103rd Street (1), yesterday evening. Crews managed to successfully remove the train from the station.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NYCTSubway/status/1244046976112570370

This is getting ridiculous at this point, as this is impacting people’s safety. *Sigh*

Looks like a pattern, similar thing happened 3 months ago: https://gothamist.com/news/video-explosive-garbage-fire-causes-scare-manhattan-subway-station

Same guy possibly?

Edited by R10 2952
accuracy

On 3/27/2020 at 3:48 PM, aemoreira81 said:

Already had that elsewhere. What might need to be considered are automated fire extinguishers (why that wasn’t considered after 1391 was firebombed in the 1990s is beyond me) on all cars.

In DC spray dry chem in the cars is common past time of teens. NYCT Subway cars have no egress since vandals would open the doors in motion all day.

• 4 months later...
On 8/20/2020 at 8:50 PM, Rigojefte Galo said:

Are there repairing R142 numbered 6346 to 6350 because I haven't heard if they gonna scrapped it or not?

On 8/20/2020 at 8:51 PM, Rigojefte Galo said:

I hear the R142 got burn out 5 sets cars on fire.

Haven't heard any info on the fate of those cars. Most likely 6346-6350 are totaled while 6366-6370 are being repaired but idk 

Moreover, those cars are evidence in an active investigation. Until the perpetrator is prosecuted and imprisoned, do not expect anything to happen to those cars, which may bear traces of an accelerant, incendiary device, or other tools employed in this horrible act. Prosecutors will want all the evidence they can find in building their case, and naturally the MTA will be inclined to cooperate in prosecuting a crime that killed one of their workers. 

On 8/20/2020 at 8:34 PM, Rigojefte Galo said:

Are there repairing R142 numbered 6346 to 6350 because I haven't heard if they gonna scrapped it or not?

Someone died in that fire and you asking if they are gonna repair the cars, Bruh Really.

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

Someone died in that fire and you asking if they are gonna repair the cars, Bruh Really.

Thank you and MHV9218 for focusing on what matters. I’m not sure what age groups some people are in but some of these posters better stop worrying about trains and focus on the business pages and the election coverage in today’s newspapers. We are reading about service cuts across the board. Who cares if those cars ever come back? Just my take. Carry on.

4 minutes ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

delete

20 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

never mind lol, as I was going to say originally, I'm pretty sure that guy is a troll, based on what he's been saying around here...

20 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Thank you and MHV9218 for focusing on what matters. I’m not sure what age groups some people are in but some of these posters better stop worrying about trains and focus on the business pages and the election coverage in today’s newspapers. We are reading about service cuts across the board. Who cares if those cars ever come back? Just my take. Carry on.

Exactly.  This to me along with all the other homeless problems are why I don't see a return to full 24/7 service in the subways until we see the bars reopen and/or we see ways that are ACLU-proof that the homeless can legally be forced off trains.