Bernie Sanders drops out of presidential race

R10 2952

"WASHINGTON – Sen. Bernie Sanders, whose call for a liberal agenda galvanized millions of followers, dropped out of the presidential race, giving former Vice President Joe Biden a clean path to the 2020 Democratic nomination.

Sanders' exit comes after a string of losses to Biden in the primary election.

The intensifying coronavirus pandemic meant he could no longer hold the large rallies that came to define his grassroots movement, though he often pointed to the problems many Americans had getting tested and treated for the virus as evidence that the country needed to adopt his signature 'Medicare for All' proposal."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/04/08/bernie-sanders-drops-out-2020-presidential-race-joe-biden-surges/4919641002/

Edited by R10 2952

It's unfortunate, but seeing what happened after South Carolina (not necessarily his loss, but the aftermath in the days that followed), it was expected. He was expected to dominate on Super Tuesday, but that obviously did not happen. It didn't help that he didn't change his tone post Super Tuesday and outlined Biden's (consistent) policy flaws. He even went as far as saying that Biden could beat Trump (like, you can't say that). 

These last few weeks I feel like Bernie was trying to get Biden away from the center and try to get him onboard with at least one progressive policy. I don't see that happening, since he doesn't believe in legalizing marijuana, he said that he would veto M4A if it got to his desk (meaning both Democrats and Republicans in the House and Senate more or less approved of the bill), and he's been consistent on that. Biden (and the Democratic Party in general) believe that catering to Never Trump Republicans is the way to go.

The one thing Republicans get right is to appeal to their base and cater to them (which Trump does particularly well). OTOH, the Democrats believe that moving to the center and throwing the left/progressive wing under the bus means more electable, which is just not true. Of the last few elections, only Obama was able to win because he campaigned on a more progressive platform and change the system (and had Biden to appeal to suburbanites), but when he got to office, that wasn't necessary the case. Independents also make up a greater percentage of voters than Democrats or Republicans, and many of them tend to be swing voters who vote on specific policy (and not identity politics). Of course the Democrats forget about those people and think their moderate base is enough to win. That exact thinking is why you had more independents go to Trump in the last election (in the right places). Trump was able to out-left Hillary in certain parts of the 2016 debates (on areas such as Trade, which is an issue in the middle of the country).

As for what will happen in November, it's a tossup at this point. Trump's favorability may or may not fall even more, and Biden may not get enough progessive or independent votes. I definitely feel that Trump will steamroll Biden  debates (and at that point, the DNC and all the media outlets can't do anything to help him).

On 4/10/2020 at 1:48 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

It's unfortunate, but seeing what happened after South Carolina (not necessarily his loss, but the aftermath in the days that followed), it was expected. He was expected to dominate on Super Tuesday, but that obviously did not happen. It didn't help that he didn't change his tone post Super Tuesday and outlined Biden's (consistent) policy flaws. He even went as far as saying that Biden could beat Trump (like, you can't say that). 

These last few weeks I feel like Bernie was trying to get Biden away from the center and try to get him onboard with at least one progressive policy. I don't see that happening, since he doesn't believe in legalizing marijuana, he said that he would veto M4A if it got to his desk (meaning both Democrats and Republicans in the House and Senate more or less approved of the bill), and he's been consistent on that. Biden (and the Democratic Party in general) believe that catering to Never Trump Republicans is the way to go.

The one thing Republicans get right is to appeal to their base and cater to them (which Trump does particularly well). OTOH, the Democrats believe that moving to the center and throwing the left/progressive wing under the bus means more electable, which is just not true. Of the last few elections, only Obama was able to win because he campaigned on a more progressive platform and change the system (and had Biden to appeal to suburbanites), but when he got to office, that wasn't necessary the case. Independents also make up a greater percentage of voters than Democrats or Republicans, and many of them tend to be swing voters who vote on specific policy (and not identity politics). Of course the Democrats forget about those people and think their moderate base is enough to win. That exact thinking is why you had more independents go to Trump in the last election (in the right places). Trump was able to out-left Hillary in certain parts of the 2016 debates (on areas such as Trade, which is an issue in the middle of the country).

As for what will happen in November, it's a tossup at this point. Trump's favorability may or may not fall even more, and Biden may not get enough progessive or independent votes. I definitely feel that Trump will steamroll Biden  debates (and at that point, the DNC and all the media outlets can't do anything to help him).

My theory is that Biden will lose in a landslide election primarily because Democrats don't really have a solid voting base. Suburbanites don't like Biden because he is creepy and they don't like Cuomo because he's just a basic thug who keeps threatening others to do his bidding. Trump is going to win re-election because he's the first civilian president. Obama was the last of the IVY League Presidents and McCain was the last of the military presidents. Romney thought that his experience as Governor mixed in with running a private business would make him electable but Obama's primary flaw was attacking Romney for not being some kind of all powerful and all knowing god.

As the Obama years demonstrate, being educated doesn't mean anything if you don't know how to maneuver around the House and Senate.  Trump isn't going to kick Pelosi and Feinstein out because they are the brains of the Democratic Party in a political party dominated by college dropouts and slackers.

On 4/9/2020 at 6:40 AM, OrionVIIonM79 said:

Go Biden!

Well, I don't know about that.  Sanders came across as a lot more genuine.

@BM5 via Woodhaven: Agreed about independent voters; we didn't like the choices presented in 2016 and we won't like them in 2020, either.  Personally, it was clear to me both then and now that the DNC worked behind the scenes to prevent Sanders from securing the nomination.  You can thank them for Trump- they brought him to power just as much as the folks in Redneckistan did.

Keep in mind that you don’t have to vote for B for president because you don’t like A. There are other votes that matter; all of the 435 seats in the House and 35 of the 100 seats in the Senate will be up for grabs as well as numerous state and local positions. The president is not a king and cannot move as he pleases. This November, even if you do not vote for Biden, at least vote in all of the men and women who will restrain this madman.

• 3 months later...

The saga continues:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/08/11/joe-biden-kamala-harris-vice-president-running-mate/5186393002/

So basically, Biden and the DNC have given Sanders supporters the finger, all in the name of paying lip service to token identity politics.  Was counting on a VP pick who would be able to lead the Democrats in a more progressive direction at the dawn of this new decade, instead of a disingenuous, power-hungry a**hole.

Looks like I'll be voting third-party yet again...

1 hour ago, R10 2952 said:

The saga continues:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/08/11/joe-biden-kamala-harris-vice-president-running-mate/5186393002/

So basically, Biden and the DNC have given Sanders supporters the finger, all in the name of paying lip service to token identity politics.  Was counting on a VP pick who would be able to lead the Democrats in a more progressive direction at the dawn of this new decade, instead of a disingenuous, power-hungry a**hole.

Not that I have any dog in the fight, but I'm watching a youtuber's (that I regularly watch) live stream right now discussing this Kamala Harris/Joe Biden partnership or whatever.... DGAF about his subject matter/topic tonight, I'm just waiting for the shitshow... It's bound to happen.

Anyway, as far as what you've said there..... AFAIC, politics & progression is paradoxical.... The two-party system people are so involved & entrenched in, I see as a never-ending, stagnant, d**k swinging contest... Politicians are no different than any other damn self-serving snake oil salesman in any other profession....

Edited by B35 via Church

6 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

The saga continues:

Since I guess this goes in hand, Sanders' tweet (below) was kinda disappointing to read for several reasons:

There are so many examples which can be used to debunk most of the claims made in that tweet. She's failed to prosecute the CEO of OneWest Bank (Steve Mnuchin) when the bank was aggressively foreclosing on people illegally during the financial crash and recession starting from '08 (who now is Trump's Secretary of the Treasury), even though her office insisted on prosecuting. So there goes the standing up for working people claim.

Also, she's flip-flopped on her position on universal health care (was initially for it but then said no after it looked like her donors weren't too happy about that statement), so there goes the "fight for health care for all" claim. You would think that because Medicare for All is like what he's known for and what he pushes for, he would at have at least kept that part out of there. Honestly though, it would have been better of this was never tweeted out, IMO. 

It's fairly evident though he took the blame from Democrats about Hilary's 2016 loss to heart and is trying to not let that happen again, but holy shit, was that an out of place tweet.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

10 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

It's fairly evident though he took the blame from Democrats about Hilary's 2016 loss to heart and is trying to not let that happen again.

He's nice to a fault.

If Biden wins, Bernie will get no credit, and if Biden loses, Bernie will get all the shit, all because it's somehow his fault that the "favored" candidates are garbage. (Let's not forget that Hillary actually clinched the popular vote, but because that's ultimately irrelevant when selecting the Oval Office's squatter, she ended up having to go into the woods, instead.)

The existential threat that Trump poses should not be enough to get behind those whose platforms are comprised of empty platitudes and not being someone else.