How Will Public Transit Survive the COVID-19 Crisis?

Quite frankly, it will be interesting to see what's left of the economy after all this over.

Our economic model up until now has been based around the concept of constant cashflow, where debt looks great as long as you have "guaranteed" income to cover the interest. We don't have a plan B for this type of recession, which hasn't happened in modern history.

Didn't Andy Byford just up and quit the MTA because the Governor kept trying to play hero? I don't know how Public Transit in NYC will survive. The point I was trying to make in other boards was that people's traveling patterns have changed over the past decade and so has the city. It's actually hard to pretty much come up with something resembling a back up plan in case one of the subway lines or bus lines shut down because there's more focus on streamlining with little to no turns.  Schools are closed and it's hard to find a teacher who is willing to go back to work because they don't want to be glorified baby sitters with schools as a day care center. 

I've tried looking for a College Professor but it's just STEM, Common Core, and Power Brokers. This crisis is every Economists and Political Scientists worst nightmare. Not so much for the Social Studies, Math, and History teachers.

It's now a test to see who's been paying attention during Social Studies class and not listening to talk radio.

Edited by NY1635

45 minutes ago, NY1635 said:

Schools are closed and it's hard to find a teacher who is willing to go back to work because they don't want to be glorified baby sitters with schools as a day care center.

I’d like to see documentation of this, as I’m very certain there’s less truth to this than everything Donald Trump says in his daily briefings.

1 hour ago, Deucey said:

I’d like to see documentation of this, as I’m very certain there’s less truth to this than everything Donald Trump says in his daily briefings.

A lot of Teachers in New York State have a Masters Degree to teach. They've taken issue with Mayor Deblasio and the Chancellor for putting them at risk. I think Dr. Phil was the only one who spelled out that it's not fair that the entire country is shut down because most of the cases are coming from the New York and New Jersey area. He pretty much stated that people's lives were ruined by a one size fits all plan when only two states and the surrounding areas had the most cases of Covid-19. 

1 hour ago, NY1635 said:

A lot of Teachers in New York State have a Masters Degree to teach. They've taken issue with Mayor Deblasio and the Chancellor for putting them at risk. I think Dr. Phil was the only one who spelled out that it's not fair that the entire country is shut down because most of the cases are coming from the New York and New Jersey area. He pretty much stated that people's lives were ruined by a one size fits all plan when only two states and the surrounding areas had the most cases of Covid-19. 

This is such an American problem, no one can comprehend an issue unless it has makes a huge explosion. If states hadn't put in place stay at home orders those who were infected would roam freely to infect states that took no precautions. New York had to shutdown the soonest because we're such a nexus of travel and trade, but we hemmed and hawed, all in fear of the economic impact and "overreacting". The price for that is very obvious now. I'm imagining an NBA game in Texas, with everyone packed in and one person can spread it like wildfire. 

5 hours ago, NY1635 said:

Nice rant, but I asked for documentation - article in a newspaper, tweets from unions, TV news video, etc.

And if you’re relying on Dr Phil - the psychologist who lost his license after inappropriate contact with patients, and has no experience in virology, epidemiology or even medicine - as expert advice on what to do in this situation, that explains a lot about how you obtain knowledge.

8 hours ago, NY1635 said:

Let's see what the national media was reporting a few months ago. New York, New Jersey, Virginia, Washington state, Oregon, California for starters. I'd venture that most cases came through major international gateway airports and cruise lines. Florida, Michigan, Illinois, anywhere people alight from their mode of transport and venture toward their final destination. I have independent trucker family and friends who would normally run the I-95, I-80, 1-85, I-40 roads who refuse to pick up and head down the road because they say that every rest stop is taking a risk. A virus knows and respects no borders. To them, like myself, only a fool would needlessly put themselves and their families at risk. When Native American homelands are infected these days I'd say good luck. Take a chance and maybe Mother Nature, by way of Darwin, will treat you nice. Just stay far away from me and mine. Personally I'd trust Dr. J before Dr. Phil. My opinion. Carry on.

Wait, the same quack that projects his issues through the topics he talks about on his show, yet makes like he's this exemplary moral character of high standing?

Anyway, It's difficult to have a rational conversation with this @NY1635 dude... He's not going to show & prove anything (in his mind, he doesn't have to), he doesn't value knowledge enough to want to obtain it, and he can't rebut a point to save his life.... He's another one of these people on here (like the Honchkrow dude) that lives in his own bubble & operates purely on the notion that *anything I say is justified & everything else is fluff*.....

Only a fool would come on here & latch onto the words of Dr? Phil, as if he's anyone someone should hold in high regard, respect, and reputability....

4 hours ago, Deucey said:

Nice rant, but I asked for documentation - article in a newspaper, tweets from unions, TV news video, etc.

And if you’re relying on Dr Phil - the psychologist who lost his license after inappropriate contact with patients, and has no experience in virology, epidemiology or even medicine - as expert advice on what to do in this situation, that explains a lot about how you obtain knowledge.

He also said lots of NY State teachers have a Master's Degree. I would certainly hope so, given that it is a requirement. lol

Public Transit will Survive the Covid-19 crisis. It just needs paper pushers and data entry workers to make it out the crisis. I've been making guesses because the MTA is supposed to be restructuring their entire operation. I can only guess that the railroads, buses, and subways are competing against each other for resources to keep the city afloat. My case is that I do have a good idea what's going on, but the Governor and Mayor fighting over everything really makes it hard for me  to figure out what's wrong with present day New York. 

Edited by NY1635

2 hours ago, NY1635 said:

Public Transit will Survive the Covid-19 crisis. It just needs paper pushers and data entry workers to make it out the crisis. I've been making guesses because the MTA is supposed to be restructuring their entire operation. I can only guess that the railroads, buses, and subways are competing against each other for resources to keep the city afloat. My case is that I do have a good idea what's going on, but the Governor and Mayor fighting over everything really makes it hard for me  to figure out what's wrong with present day New York. 

Yes, because there's a dire need for XD40's on the (2), R160's on the LIRR, and M7's on the M7.....

Trying to figure out what's wrong with this state should be the least of your problems....

47 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Could this potentially lead to another similar 2010 budget cut? I could see the (W) getting discontinued, again...

Unlike 2010, the (Q) can't run to Astoria so the (W) will stay put for now. Night service will probably be cut; namely the (B)(C)(M)(W) would all stop running earlier in the evening.

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Could this potentially lead to another similar 2010 budget cut? I could see the (W) getting discontinued, again...

I actually think that subway and bus service will remain (relatively) unchanged.

Commuter rail passengers are going to take the brunt of the cuts this time around, and they're going to be severe.

I'm talking potential permanent branch closures (West Hempstead and Belmont, for instance), elimination of nearly all ticket offices, and elimination of off-peak fare severe.

11 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I don't see any major/"draconian" cuts coming for the subway; the (W)'s going nowhere....

For the buses however, there's going to eventually be system-wide cuts anyway with all the individual borough network redesigns.... They could (conveniently) use this crisis or whatever to further bolster/justify their rationale for doing so, but they won't really need to.... Now if you're inquiring on whether there willl be any major cuts before those redesigns, I personally don't see that occurring.....

The federal / state government will really need to pick up the slack because, for the foreseeable future I imagine the subway will be required to operate trains at only 50% passenger capacity. Meaning that FULL service will need to be maintained for only 50% of customers

12 hours ago, Caelestor said:

Unlike 2010, the (Q) can't run to Astoria so the (W) will stay put for now. Night service will probably be cut; namely the (B)(C)(M)(W) would all stop running earlier in the evening.

the Buses will get hit hard, they Really don't wanna cut subway service but if they have to then the only line i see them cutting is the (Z) with the (C) being reduced or cut in half (168-WTC), (A)  local in Brooklyn, (5) would go to flatbush only during the rush and no overnight (3) service, (R) would end at 36th st at night withe the (B)(M)(W) ending early.

4 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

the Buses will get hit hard, they Really don't wanna cut subway service but if they have to then the only line i see them cutting is the (Z) with the (C) being reduced or cut in half (168-WTC), (A)  local in Brooklyn, (5) would go to flatbush only during the rush and no overnight (3) service, (R) would end at 36th st at night withe the (B)(M)(W) ending early.

And no weekend (3) or (5) train service. Service on the (5) south of E180 St was already spotty at best anyways due to the constant GOs, and provided you maintain the 8-minute headway’s on the (2)(4) (and extend the (4) to New Lots + local in Brooklyn, then the (3) train is useless for weekends, and have shuttle buses carry 148 St and 145 St riders to 135 St for the (2).

the (Z) cuts cannot save $$$ because you’d end up reducing rush hour service which then goes against social distancing. On top of that the $$ savings are minimal because the (J) would have to have frequencies increase from every 10 minutes to every 7-8 minutes.

The (M) cutback was already proposed before COVID19 as a ways to complete CBTC work on Queens Blvd, but the original plan was to cut back to a Essex St. I think the cutback will be all the way to Myrtle Av (after 9PM and all weekends).

The current (A) train frequency is insufficient to carry all of Brooklyn’s ridership on its own on weekends. You’d need to increase the frequency to every 7-8 minutes again, and then the (C) can be cut back to World Trade Center.

6 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

And no weekend (3) or (5) train service. Service on the (5) south of E180 St was already spotty at best anyways due to the constant GOs, and provided you maintain the 8-minute headway’s on the (2)(4) (and extend the (4) to New Lots + local in Brooklyn, then the (3) train is useless for weekends, and have shuttle buses carry 148 St and 145 St riders to 135 St for the (2).

the (Z) cuts cannot save $$$ because you’d end up reducing rush hour service which then goes against social distancing. On top of that the $$ savings are minimal because the (J) would have to have frequencies increase from every 10 minutes to every 7-8 minutes.

The (M) cutback was already proposed before COVID19 as a ways to complete CBTC work on Queens Blvd, but the original plan was to cut back to a Essex St. I think the cutback will be all the way to Myrtle Av (after 9PM and all weekends).

The current (A) train frequency is insufficient to carry all of Brooklyn’s ridership on its own on weekends. You’d need to increase the frequency to every 7-8 minutes again, and then the (C) can be cut back to World Trade Center.

yeah I don't agree with no weekend (5) service though, But I think the majority of the Cuts if they have too would be the Buses with them doing minimum cuts with the subway

I agree with those who say it's the buses that will take the greatest hit. I don't know about route cuts so much as maybe trimming back frequencies across the board like making the (L) every 20 minutes on weekends (no more Bedford short turns), or making the (E)(F) every 10 minutes on weekends. 

Public Transportation will survive the Covid-19 crisis. These opinion pieces are published by think tanks who want to privatize the MTA based on the Mayor and Governor's poor handling of the crisis. The thing is that the city performs better when under pressure and are capable of crunching numbers. That's the one thing other major cities like Detriot, Los Angeles, DC, and even San Franciso can't do well. 

New York's problem is merely terrible leaders trying to use the crisis for 2020 and 2024 elections.

Edited by NY1635

8 hours ago, NY1635 said:

Public Transportation will survive the Covid-19 crisis. These opinion pieces are published by think tanks who want to privatize the MTA based on the Mayor and Governor's poor handling of the crisis. The thing is that the city performs better when under pressure and are capable of crunching numbers. That's the one thing other major cities like Detriot, Los Angeles, DC, and even San Franciso can't do well. 

New York's problem is merely terrible leaders trying to use the crisis for 2020 and 2024 elections.

Do us a favor and reconcile this post with the one you posted elsewhere. You’re not making any sense.

I stand corrected, Public Transit in New York won't survive without a good deep cleaning and sanitation. Some time needs to be dedicated to cleaning the Sixth Avenue, Eight Avenue, and QBL, and Seventh Avenue Subway Lines before people can go back to work.