Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
checkmatechamp13

Overnight Essential Bus Service Plan

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

I'm a bit surprised that they didn't mention the B49.. The 49 runs overnight and is somewhat parallel with the BM2 stop for Foster Avenue. Not too far of a backtrack

Perhaps you were thinking of the Q49 with this bit?

https://new.mta.info/document/7106

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

@Via Garibaldi 8 any thoughts about the express changes (I definitely am curious about your thoughts on the BxM1/2 change)

The truth of the matter is the (MTA) has struggled terribly to run these express buses overnight. Some lines like the QM6, QM17, X68 and a few others they ran well. The BxM1, BxM2, BxM4 and BxM11 were run very poorly. I spoke with bus operators and dispatchers about it on the side. I was not pleased.  I attempted to use the express bus four times overnight. Three out of the four times I had a wait of almost an hour or more despite the (MTA) repeating the same BS about service being every 30 minutes or better. The BM3 was cancelled haphazardly for almost a few weeks. I think they yanked the service on some lines because we started complaining to elected officials about how poor they were running them, so yeahz ridership would be low if the service is unreliable.

The reality is they over promised and under delivered. When this originally started,  I received an email here and there about changes from (MTA) reps, which I appreciated, as they were trying to keep me in the know. However, as time went on, the wheels fell off. Some drivers were really turned off by the amount of homeless people that were riding and smelling up the bus and they let me know about it. There are no windows in the express buses, so obviously that was a challenge to say the least. Eventually that was addressed, but as drivers returned to their regular work, they either didn't want to pick the OT or couldn't, given that they can only work but so many hours at once.

As much as I would prefer to see the lines running, I would rather they not run if they are going to leave people scrambling and standing around waiting for extended periods of time. I know numerous people either switched to Uber or started driving to get to and from that were essential workers because the service wasn't reliable on lines like the X28. Overall, i'd rate the service an F. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

I'm a bit surprised that they didn't mention the B49.. The 49 runs overnight and is somewhat parallel with the BM2 stop for Foster Avenue. Not too far of a backtrack

8 hours ago, Lex said:

Neither the B49 nor Q49 officially runs overnight. (But the gap between the first and last bus is like 2-3 hours). That's probably why they didn't mention the B49, though depending on the exact time the overnight rider is traveling, it may be an option.

10 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

I would be more surprised if they ran the B49 overnights.... Ocean av is suburban level dead overnights (now that I think about it, this whole BM3 debacle these past couple weeks w/ overnight service makes sense from that standpoint).... If I were an Ocean av patron, I'd walk over to Nostrand av for the B44 (takes you much further north in Brooklyn than the B49 would)..... Have it not been for the coming out of the new B99 service starting this Sunday, it'd have been a matter of catching the B39 at WBP for Manhattan service, or catching the B62 (at WBP) to QBP for the Q32/60/101 for Manhattan service......

This is making me want to start doing some overnight fanning.....

8 hours ago, Lex said:

Nah, he was clearly keeping it Brooklyn.....

4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The reality is they over promised and under delivered....

Yep, another way of putting that, is that they over-estimated the willingness of its own workforce to take on the overtime....

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RailRunRob said:

What's everyones thoughts on the new B99 service starting tonight?

Conversation already started on previous page . Technically. 

Edited by Future ENY OP

2 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Conversation already started on another thread. Technically. 

Gotcha didn't anything on it which is why I asked here. Which thread?

9 minutes ago, RailRunRob said:

Gotcha didn't anything on it which is why I asked here. Which thread?

Check the previous page. Conversation started yesterday. To your question. Looks good for Brooklyn commuters especially on the return trip. Could be an alternative for the BM2. Depending on headways and enough promo I could see this going far. Possibly. 

Some relevant tweets. So this route is starting this weekend, poles installed, and the MTA has yet to officially announce it to the public? I definitely don't see any info on the website. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

B99 schedule is online. Listed on the Brooklyn Bus Schedules page, but only the Enhanced Overnight Bus Service heading.

Edited by jaf0519

So they drop the BM3 and X28 overnight that service so many diverse neighborhoods?  The only two Brooklyn-Manhattan express routes are now the B99 and BM2, both of which serve the Flatbush Junction area?  Doesn't seem very fair to have the only 2 buses both serve Flatbush Junction.

Perhaps they can get away with this while NYC is in shutdown mode, but it would totally kill the lucrative nightlife business after shutdown mode ends.

Also, still can't find the overnight "special" B8 or B63 schedule - I see the summer 2020 schedule for both of those, but they don't have the overnight extra buses.  The MTA website makes it VERY hard to find anything.

Wow; I missed it (heard about the route, but didn;t even know what it was or when it would start, and thingt it was just a proposal, until these last few posts).

So (sorry if it was discussed earlier) what kind of buses does it use (express or local), and which depot is it based out of?

22 minutes ago, Eric B said:

Wow; I missed it (heard about the route, but didn;t even know what it was or when it would start, and thingt it was just a proposal, until these last few posts).

So (sorry if it was discussed earlier) what kind of buses does it use (express or local), and which depot is it based out of?

It's based out of Flatbush, and uses local buses.

40 minutes ago, Eric B said:

As was already stated, it's out of Flatbush (which by default means an all local fleet... Lol).... No artics on the route though, as of yet anyway.

If i saw at least 30 people spread out across 3 separate buses early this morning on the first day of operation, this route is gonna take off in popularity.... (I) just hope that whenever they implement the B99 signage onto the buses, they add/keep the "subway shuttle" verbiage as part of the configuration....

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

If i saw at least 30 people spread out across 3 separate buses early this morning on the first day of operation, this route is gonna take off in popularity....

Not bad for a line they launched with pretty much no promotion or notice.

• Upvote 5

Cool; so now Flatbush has a route into Manhattan!

I want to fan this one, but it would be hard to be up that late, and then have to get home from there!

I used to imagine an "NYC100" that would run from 110th, down 5th Ave, Bowery, and then down Flatbish to the Junction.

• Upvote 1

Not only is the BxM1/2 overnight service discontinued, the Bx7 has no service either. 

I guess Riverdale-Manhattan riders don't really need bus service after all.

• LMAO! 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

As was already stated, it's out of Flatbush (which by default means an all local fleet... Lol).... No artics on the route though, as of yet anyway.

If i saw at least 30 people spread out across 3 separate buses early this morning on the first day of operation, this route is gonna take off in popularity.... (I) just hope that whenever they implement the B99 signage onto the buses, they add/keep the "subway shuttle" verbiage as part of the configuration....

Interestingly, on the MTA website, in the section labeled "overnight Express bus service, they list the B99 along with the (actual) express routes lol. Dunno if that's intentional or just another sloppy MTA intern hard at work

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Eric B said:

Cool; so now Flatbush has a route into Manhattan!

I want to fan this one, but it would be hard to be up that late, and then have to get home from there!

I used to imagine an "NYC100" that would run from 110th, down 5th Ave, Bowery, and then down Flatbish to the Junction.

I'm lucky I could walk to it.... I would say my sleeping pattern is f***ed up, but I've always been more of a night owl anyway.

IIRC, you're in Ridgewood right? If so, how close are you to the Q58?

14 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Not only is the BxM1/2 overnight service discontinued, the Bx7 has no service either. 

I guess Riverdale-Manhattan riders don't really need bus service after all.

Separate from anything involving Riverdale specifically, leaving the Bx12 isolated like that leaves much to be desired.... Plenty folks did that (A) → Bx12 combo overnights to get to the Bronx.... Inwood by itself is an armpit for that route.

They could at least run the Bx7 between [GWB] & [231st/Riverdale av.]

13 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Interestingly, on the MTA website, in the section labeled "overnight Express bus service, they list the B99 along with the (actual) express routes lol. Dunno if that's intentional or just another sloppy MTA intern hard at work

Even if we ignore the nomenclature of the route, the thing is open door....

I'm going to ride the route again either early tomorrow morning or early Wednesday morning to see how many weekday shift workers, etc. patronize the thing....

Edited by B35 via Church
  • Upvote 1

With the BxM1/2 service being discontinued overnight, why not restore the Bx7 overnight service, extending to 157 Street (1)? This would fill in a major gap in the network, as upper Broadway has no service between the GWB and 225 Street (elevation differences mean that the M3 and M4 are not alternatives).

The route would be regular to 168 Street, then 165 Street and 157 Street only. This could be out of Manhattanville.

1 hour ago, aemoreira81 said:

With the BxM1/2 service being discontinued overnight, why not restore the Bx7 overnight service, extending to 157 Street (1)? This would fill in a major gap in the network, as upper Broadway has no service between the GWB and 225 Street (elevation differences mean that the M3 and M4 are not alternatives).

The route would be regular to 168 Street, then 165 Street and 157 Street only. This could be out of Manhattanville.

Why not keep it with Kingsbridge. They currently operate the Bx7. 🤷🏽‍♂️  Just saying. 

4 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Why not keep it with Kingsbridge. They currently operate the Bx7. 🤷🏽‍♂️  Just saying. 

If I'm not mistaken, it's because on the Bx7, buses either go into service at 215 or 218, or go out of service at Isham Street...near the depot. The deadhead would be a lot shorter.

On 6/30/2020 at 7:19 PM, aemoreira81 said:

If I'm not mistaken, it's because on the Bx7, buses either go into service at 215 or 218, or go out of service at Isham Street...near the depot. The deadhead would be a lot shorter.

Most if not all of those short turned buses like the ones that end at Isham or at 231st (Bx10) only run because they're going back to the depot anyway, so the thinking was, run them in service and pick up a few passengers that may need the service to or from the subway or whatever.

On 6/30/2020 at 1:41 PM, aemoreira81 said:

I'm not seeing the need to extend the Bx7 to 157th, just so that it can connect to the M4 (in both directions)... 157th/Broadway is in the middle of nothing in-particular, with the subway knocked out & all.... if you're going to run Bx7's south of 168th in that general area, may as well have it running to 155th/Amsterdam where the overnight Bx6 ends....

23 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

I'm not seeing the need to extend the Bx7 to 157th, just so that it can connect to the M4 (in both directions)... 157th/Broadway is in the middle of nothing in-particular, with the subway knocked out & all.... if you're going to run Bx7's south of 168th in that general area, may as well have it running to 155th/Amsterdam where the overnight Bx6 ends....

I won't dispute that one. The idea is to not orphan routes. Right now, buses over the Washington and University Heights Bridges are orphaned.

On 7/1/2020 at 8:41 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Most if not all of those short turned buses like the ones that end at Isham or at 231st (Bx10) only run because they're going back to the depot anyway, so the thinking was, run them in service and pick up a few passengers that may need the service to or from the subway or whatever.

The Bx7 is mostly driver reliefs. The Bx9 also is mostly driver reliefs. If a Bx9 is doing a final trip, it will go from West Farms to the city line, and then down Broadway to 225 Street and drop out. Put-ins start at Broadway and 225.