Overnight Essential Bus Service Plan

They're not consistent with the labeling on these unplanned reductions in service, now they're not even labeled as service changes. Also, these advisories are hidden all the way to the bottom of their respective service alert section, below all the detours and notes of bus routes running overnight. Nobody would know unless they actively looked for it:

ESSENTIAL SERVICE  Posted: 07/12/2020 12:08AM

B11 buses are scheduled to run approximately every 30 minutes from 1:00 a.m to 5:00 a.m while the subway is closed for cleaning, but tonight, they will run less frequently.

Visit mta.info/overnight if you are an essential worker and need to travel.

ESSENTIAL SERVICE  Posted: 07/12/2020 12:06AM

B68 buses are scheduled to run approximately every 30 minutes from 1:00 a.m to 5:00 a.m while the subway is closed for cleaning, but tonight, they will run less frequently.

ESSENTIAL SERVICE  Posted: 07/12/2020 12:10AM

Q22 buses are scheduled to run approximately every 30 minutes from 1:00 a.m to 5:00 a.m while the subway is closed for cleaning, but tonight, they will run less frequently.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

They're not consistent with the labeling on these unplanned reductions in service, now they're not even labeled as service changes. Also, these advisories are hidden all the way to the bottom of their respective service alert section, below all the detours and notes of bus routes running overnight. Nobody would know unless they actively looked for it.....

They're just doing whatever at this point, as far as that's concerned....

9 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

ESSENTIAL SERVICE  Posted: 07/12/2020 12:08AM
B11 buses are scheduled to run approximately every 30 minutes from 1:00 a.m to 5:00 a.m while the subway is closed for cleaning, but tonight, they will run less frequently.

ESSENTIAL SERVICE  Posted: 07/12/2020 12:06AM
B68 buses are scheduled to run approximately every 30 minutes from 1:00 a.m to 5:00 a.m while the subway is closed for cleaning, but tonight, they will run less frequently.

ESSENTIAL SERVICE  Posted: 07/12/2020 12:10AM
Q22 buses are scheduled to run approximately every 30 minutes from 1:00 a.m to 5:00 a.m while the subway is closed for cleaning, but tonight, they will run less frequently.

I took the B44 to the B11 early this morning... Not a single person boarded the B11 from the time I boarded it, to the time I got off it (2nd/55th, at the hospital)... At least the B44 was pretty packed though.

Return trip on the B11 (I walked over to 52nd/4th) - 1 person already on the bus.... Nobody else boarded after I got on.... Both of us got off at the Junction.

On 7/3/2020 at 1:39 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Correct. Some of the Bx10 reliefs are by Kingsbridge and 231st, which is a very weird spot. You have all of the people that just boarded at 231st and Broadway PACKED on the bus from the subway, and then the bus has to sit and wait at the very next stop. Another reason I can't deal with that set up and take the express bus. Too much aggravation.

The reason it's at 231st/Kingsbridge is because that's where the diverging point for all three routes (Bx7/10/20) is.  Granted, if they realigned the routes and reduced driver change times to be more efficient, it would be less aggravating.  But the fact that the 7, 10, 20 all went through the Bronx Bus Redesign process with little to no meaningful changes whatsoever, told me all I needed to know about how the MTA intends to go about these things.

They don't give a shit, and it shows.

7 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

The reason it's at 231st/Kingsbridge is because that's where the diverging point for all three routes (Bx7/10/20) is.  Granted, if they realigned the routes and reduced driver change times to be more efficient, it would be less aggravating.  But the fact that the 7, 10, 20 all went through the Bronx Bus Redesign process with little to no meaningful changes whatsoever, told me all I needed to know about how the MTA intends to go about these things.

They don't give a shit, and it shows.

One thing the (MTA) wanted to do with these routes is streamline them. There isn't much you can do with them in Riverdale because of the hills #1, and #2, Riverdale does not have a grid pattern like most of the Bronx does, and that was done on purpose when the area was created, so you can't change that. You need the Bx20 up here because people in Spuyten Duyvil in the southern part of Riverdale need access to the (A) train and the Bx7 cannot serve those people. Looking at a map, it doesn't show the hills and true separation between some streets.

With the Bx10 you can't do much there either, though you can definitely remove some stops, which is what I would do, but it's tough because the entire route goes through very hilly areas, so people will yell a lot if their stop is removed. The Bx7 and Bx20 are about as direct as you can get for the area. They were banking on the DOT coming through on the bus lanes on Broadway which would've helped speed up both lines, but that has stalled. That's really where both lines suffer. Parts of Broadway crawl with lots of vehicular traffic, and there aren't any real alternatives for them to travel on either.

In speaking with the person responsible for heading the redesign, the plan was always to keep 70% of the Bronx routes roughly th3 same, and change 30% of them. Most of the Bronx lines were already direct and streamlined, so there wasn't too much to change.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Tonight's changes:

SERVICE CHANGE  Posted: 07/14/2020  1:38AM

B82 buses are scheduled to run approximately every 30 minutes from 1am to 5am while the subway is closed for cleaning, but tonight, they will run less frequently. 

SERVICE CHANGE  Posted: 07/14/2020 12:16AM

Bx15 buses are scheduled to run approximately every 30 minutes from 1am to 5am while the subway is closed for cleaning, but tonight, they will run less frequently. 

MULTIPLE IMPACTS  Posted: 07/13/2020 10:51PM

B3, B9, B41, B46, B47, and Q35 buses have multiple impacts in Mill Basin because of road work on Flatbush Ave between Fillmore Ave and Avenue U.

There is no B9, B41, B46 and B47 bus service to and from Kings Plaza. 

While detoured B3 buses will make requested stops on Fillmore Ave between East 36th St and Mill Ave. 

Q35 buses will make requested stops on the detoured route between Avenue U and Fillmore Ave. 

B9 buses will begin and end at Flatbush Ave and Avenue P. 

B41 buses will begin and end at Flatbush Ave and Fillmore Ave. 

B46 buses will begin and end at Utica Ave and Fillmore Ave. 

B47 buses will begin and end at Mill Ave and Avenue U. 

DETOURS  Posted: 07/14/2020  1:44AM

Northbound Q11, Q21, Q52-SBS and Q53-SBS buses are bypassing stops along Woodhaven Blvd from 103rd Ave to 93rd Ave because of road work along the service road.

All corresponding stops will be made as requested. 

SERVICE CHANGE  Posted: 07/14/2020 12:18AM

Q60 buses are scheduled to run approximately every 30 minutes from 1am to 5am while the subway is closed for cleaning, but tonight, they will run less frequently. 

BTW, I didn't know West Farms is operating the extra overnight service on the Bx40 and Bx40. There's two XN40s on the Bx40, and a mix of LFSAs, a C40LF, an XN40, and an XN60. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Welp, that's unfortunate:

SERVICE CHANGE  Posted: 07/16/2020 12:09AM

Q22 buses are scheduled to run approx every 20 minutes from 1am to 5am while the subway is closed for cleaning, but tonight, they will run less frequently. Consider taking the Q35/QM17 or Q53-SBS.

SERVICE CHANGE  Posted: 07/16/2020 12:10AM

QM17 buses are scheduled to run approximately every 30 minutes from 1am to 5am while the subway is closed for cleaning, but tonight, they will run less frequently. 

BTW, Bx1, Bx3, Bx4, and Bx39 buses will operate with less service than scheduled tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

If bustime is right, there's two buses on the entire Bx39 route. One is near Allerton Avenue going towards Clason Point, the other is at the Wakefield terminal on layover.

Also, they stopped listing the headways for bus routes, instead they have decided to become more vague. Also, look at the inconsistency in labeling. Three separate routes, three separate labelings.

SERVICE CHANGE  Posted: 07/25/2020 12:30AM

You may experience longer waits for the BM2 buses.

We're running as much service as we can with the bus operators we have available.

View buses near you at bustime.mta.info

DELAYS  Posted: 07/25/2020 12:33AM

You may experience longer waits for the QM17 buses.

We're running as much service as we can with the bus operators we have available.

View buses near you at bustime.mta.info

ESSENTIAL SERVICE  Posted: 07/25/2020 12:40AM

You may experience longer waits for the M102 buses.

View buses near you at bustime.mta.info.

Since I don't feel like listing them all out right now, the reduction in service for tonight is also applicable for the Bx1, Bx9, Bx15, Bx24, Bx40, M15, M101

One thing I would like to point out is that the M102 alert was hidden to the bottom of the service alert page, apart from the other Manhattan service reduction alerts and following the descriptions of what routes will run enhanced service. Also, the reduction alerts for the M15 and M101 were under the bunch of detours posted.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

"On August 5, we're launching two new overnight interborough bus routes: the Bx99, between Woodlawn in the Bronx and the West Village in Manhattan, and the M99 between East New York in Brooklyn and Hell's Kitchen in Manhattan. These two routes, along with the previously launched B99, will operate every 20 minutes from approximately 1-6 a.m."

https://new.mta.info/coronavirus/overnight

50 minutes ago, Train92 said:

"On August 5, we're launching two new overnight interborough bus routes: the Bx99, between Woodlawn in the Bronx and the West Village in Manhattan, and the M99 between East New York in Brooklyn and Hell's Kitchen in Manhattan. These two routes, along with the previously launched B99, will operate every 20 minutes from approximately 1-6 a.m."

https://new.mta.info/coronavirus/overnight

Bx99 between Woodlawn and West Village-Spring Street via Jerome Av, Grand Concourse, 1/2 Av, 57th St, 11/10 Av, and Hudson/Varick St:

https://platform.remix.com/map/11e5dc2/line/4ec662c?dir=0&latlng=40.80821,-73.90408,10.74&layer=hifi&sidebarCollapsed=true

M99 between Hell Kitchen/West Side Pier and New Lots (3) via 11/10 Av, 6 Av/Varick St, Canal St, Manhattan Bridge, Fulton St, Rockaway Av, and New Lots Av:

https://platform.remix.com/map/11e5dc2/line/7d31de2?dir=0&latlng=31.50364,0,2&layer=hifi&sidebarCollapsed=true

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

45 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Bx99 between Woodlawn and West Village-Spring Street via Jerome Av, Grand Concourse, 1/2 Av, 57th St, 11/12 Av, and Hudson/Varick St:

https://platform.remix.com/map/11e5dc2/line/4ec662c?dir=0&latlng=40.80821,-73.90408,10.74&layer=hifi&sidebarCollapsed=true

M99 between Hell Kitchen/West Side Pier and New Lots (3) via 11/12 Av, 6 Av/Varick St, Canal St, Manhattan Bridge, Fulton St, Rockaway Av, and New Lots Av:

https://platform.remix.com/map/11e5dc2/line/7d31de2?dir=0&latlng=31.50364,0,2&layer=hifi&sidebarCollapsed=true

Via 10th-11th you mean for the M99 and Bx99.

M99 will be out of Quill. Bx99 will be out of West Farms.

Edited by Cait Sith

22 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

It'll be interesting to see CNG buses operating in service in Manhattan. That hasn't been the case since the express bus routes regularly stopped using Orion V CNGs. 

Well technically, they already do (Bx15, 19, 33, etc). Now of course, anything south of 125th is going to be new again.

1 hour ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

M99 between Hell Kitchen/West Side Pier and New Lots (3) via 11/10 Av, 6 Av/Varick St, Canal St, Manhattan Bridge, Fulton St, Rockaway Av, and New Lots Av:

So the M99 will run through the Black Lives Matter street mural on Fulton (from Marcy Avenue to Brooklyn Avenue) while the B25 detours around it?

Not that there's necessarily a problem with it, but I see the M99 transporting more intra-Brooklyn riders than interborough riders.... I get that Quill is right there, but otherwise, it makes little to no sense to end the thing at the dam pier.... In terms of usefulness within Brooklyn, the M99 routing is superior, compared to the B99... Good for those folks....

With this whole 10th/11th av bit, it's as if they're trying to target shift workers or something... Could also be a (mitigation of) runtime thing, who knows.... While noble, these routes are supposed to act as compromises for the subway shutdown.... I look at the routing for the Bx99 in Manhattan & think to myself, huh?? Alright, coming from running along parts of the (4) & the (D), it makes sense to run it 1st/2nd (that portion of the (Q)) - but to then have it swing way over to/from 10th/11th avenue's, so that the thing can be said to serve the far east side & the far west side? Terminating the thing in the middle of the old UPS distribution hub & the old St. Johns terminal leaves much to be desired (IDK about nowadays, but that long block of Washington b/w Spring & Houston at night has always been seedy).... It'd have been better off ending around Lenox Health hospital, down over there around W. 14th/7th....

At W. 14th itself, it seems like the Bx99 & the M99 are sort of "continuations" of each other - the Bx99 drifts off to serve the West Village & Hudson Sq. for whatever the reason & the M99 runs up to the 42nd st. pier (to be proximate to the depot, I suppose).....

The Bronx routing is more or less what I expected it to be.... When @Flatbush SBS Duece first broke the news to us about these 2 routes, I was trying to guess where the point of diversion from Jerome to the Concourse would be at.... Looks like I was half right, Lol (I guessed Burnside)....

* How many of you went to bustime to find out if the M99 & the Bx99 were available yet :lol:

....and oh yeah, so much for lil' buddy that spewed that crap about our legs possibly being pulled? Joke's on us, right <_<

Edited by B35 via Church

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Will the Bx99 be using artics or just regular 40 footers?

Bonus points if it's an SBS bus! (I won't hold my breath though)....

1 hour ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

So the M99 will run through the Black Lives Matter street mural on Fulton (from Marcy Avenue to Brooklyn Avenue) while the B25 detours around it?

No sweat off my back if it will.... They need to put the B25 back on that part of Fulton; that detour is a royal PITA.... Damn thing's gonna eventually get vandalized; whole shit is beyond goofy anyway.....

At W. 14 St and 8 Av, new night signs were added to the stop, displaying the B99 to East New York and Bx99 to West Village. It's set on August 5th. 

I wonder if the #99 is a representation to late night service. Also, the number range from 90-99 like the S90, S94 etc are not full time routes. 

Edited by Calvin

20 minutes ago, Calvin said:

At W. 14 St and 8 Av, new night signs were added to the stop, displaying the B99 to East New York and Bx99 to West Village. It's set on August 5th.

I wonder if the #99 is a representation to late night service. Also, the number range from 90-99 like the S90, S94 etc are not full time routes. 

*only

Anyway, I think that much has been established after 3 routes, bud.....

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Bonus points if it's an SBS bus! (I won't hold my breath though)....

No sweat off my back if it will.... They need to put the B25 back on that part of Fulton; that detour is a royal PITA.... Damn thing's gonna eventually get vandalized; whole shit is beyond goofy anyway.....

It got vandalized last weekend. Same day when the midtown mural got hit. (I live in the area). That detour is a b*tch. However, detour is in effect until October. 

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Not that there's necessarily a problem with it, but I see the M99 transporting more intra-Brooklyn riders than interborough riders.... I get that Quill is right there, but otherwise, it makes little to no sense to end the thing at the dam pier.... In terms of usefulness within Brooklyn, the M99 routing is superior, compared to the B99... Good for those folks....

With this whole 10th/11th av bit, it's as if they're trying to target shift workers or something... Could also be a (mitigation of) runtime thing, who knows.... While noble, these routes are supposed to act as compromises for the subway shutdown.... I look at the routing for the Bx99 in Manhattan & think to myself, huh?? Alright, coming from running along parts of the (4) & the (D), it makes sense to run it 1st/2nd (that portion of the (Q)) - but to then have it swing way over to/from 10th/11th avenue's, so that the thing can be said to serve the far east side & the far west side? Terminating the thing in the middle of the old UPS distribution hub & the old St. Johns terminal leaves much to be desired (IDK about nowadays, but that long block of Washington b/w Spring & Houston at night has always been seedy).... It'd have been better off ending around Lenox Health hospital, down over there around W. 14th/7th....

At W. 14th itself, it seems like the Bx99 & the M99 are sort of "continuations" of each other - the Bx99 drifts off to serve the West Village & Hudson Sq. for whatever the reason & the M99 runs up to the 42nd st. pier (to be proximate to the depot, I suppose).....

The Bronx routing is more or less what I expected it to be.... When @Flatbush SBS Duece first broke the news to us about these 2 routes, I was trying to guess where the point of diversion from Jerome to the Concourse would be at.... Looks like I was half right, Lol (I guessed Burnside)....

* How many of you went to bustime to find out if the M99 & the Bx99 were available yet :lol:

....and oh yeah, so much for lil' buddy that spewed that crap about our legs possibly being pulled? Joke's on us, right <_<

As soon as I saw that the M99 was going to head up and end on the West Side, I mentally facepalmed. What they just did is shaft East Midtown for no reason. Sure, there's limited coverage from the Bronx, but why can't there be anything substantial on the Brooklyn end? If they wanted to end it at Pier 83, they could still do so via 42nd Street. (Also, what is this obsession with Hudson Yards? There's hardly anything worth serving over there at this point, particularly at night.)

I'd rather end the Bx99 around West 4th Street or 14th Street/6th Avenue. It would still use 42nd Street for a stretch, but only between 1st/2nd and 6th/7th Avenues. That would make it a better stand-in for the (4)(D), and (Q).

3 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

It got vandalized last weekend. Same day when the midtown mural got hit. (I live in the area).....

I'm literally laughing out loud here..... Man, I rest my case.

2 hours ago, Lex said:

As soon as I saw that the M99 was going to head up and end on the West Side, I mentally facepalmed. What they just did is shaft East Midtown for no reason. Sure, there's limited coverage from the Bronx, but why can't there be anything substantial on the Brooklyn end? If they wanted to end it at Pier 83, they could still do so via 42nd Street. (Also, what is this obsession with Hudson Yards? There's hardly anything worth serving over there at this point, particularly at night.)

I'd rather end the Bx99 around West 4th Street or 14th Street/6th Avenue. It would still use 42nd Street for a stretch, but only between 1st/2nd and 6th/7th Avenues. That would make it a better stand-in for the (4)(D), and (Q).

I was expecting it to end along Houston where the M5 used to.... If the notion was to have the thing pan that far south into Manhattan, that's where I would have ideally have it end at....

What I was getting at (with regards to W. 14th) is, if it's even going to serve 10th/11th, it doesn't need to run past that point on the west side.... Before the crisis, those people that would hit up those bars or restaurants late night along 7th & along Carmine st. were too busy taking cabs to get to/from that area (even before the ridesharing services became popular).... They were hardly using the (1), so I'm not understanding why they got Bx99's running down in that part of the West Village, en route to Hudson Sq... Residents of the area were hardly using the subway during those hours either....

As far as East Midtown, IDK about you, but there's no way in hell I'm waiting along the Bowery for a M103 after having came off a B99 or an M99..... If its anything that should've perhaps been used as an xfer point, it's Dekalb/Flatbush av. extension (if they were to have the M99 serve the East side).... Unless they got something else up their sleeve, I'd say the planners dropped the ball on that..... Oh well.....

Edited by B35 via Church