Overnight Essential Bus Service Plan

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

This is the current Bx15 schedule. 

Given the circumstances, we're probably seeing a janky mix of that and the January schedule (overnight service is usually more in line with that crappy schedule, whereas daytime service is closer to normal).

Based on how they phrased it, it's the normal schedule.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Isn't that just the normal Bx15 schedule? Am I missing something here?

9 minutes ago, Lex said:

Given the circumstances, we're probably seeing a janky mix of that and the January schedule (overnight service is usually more in line with that crappy schedule, whereas daytime service is closer to normal).

Based on how they phrased it, it's the normal schedule.

Right, and the "normal" schedule under the current circumstances represents less service.

19 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Right, and the "normal" schedule under the current circumstances represents less service.

In all honesty, I'm not thrilled about either. The regular one is bad for anyone who needs more frequent service, and the "enhanced" schedule has virtually no logic behind it, leading to needless inconsistency.

• 2 weeks later...

I got an email with the following update:

To make better use of our limited resources in these challenging financial times, we’re reallocating resources across our overnight bus routes to improve the reliability of all overnight bus routes.

To make this possible, we are reducing overnight service on some local and express buses with very low ridership. These changes will take effect beginning the morning of Wednesday, August 12, as follows:

Routes with reduced overnight frequency:
BxM4, BxM7, B45, BM2, QM17, Q102

Routes with overnight service discontinued:
X68

Routes returning to original overnight service frequency:
Bx24, B1, B36, B48, Q46

Routes with reduced overnight frequencies on Saturdays and Sundays only:
Bx28, B45, B62, M2, M3, M4, M7, M20, M60-SBS, M102, M104, Q4, Q22, Q43

40 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

To make better use of our limited resources in these challenging financial times, we’re reallocating resources across our overnight bus routes to improve the reliability of all overnight bus routes.

To make this possible, we are reducing overnight service on some local and express buses with very low ridership. These changes will take effect beginning the morning of Wednesday, August 12, as follows:

X68

Bx24, B1, B36, B48, Q46

I could see possible elimination for the BM2 down the pike in exchange for the B99. 

1 hour ago, Union Tpke said:

X68

Bx24, B1, B36, B48, Q46

That's the first time I believe that they've brought up the financial situation. Up to this point, it's mainly been due to low utilization. Seems like this is the beginning, and they're going to slowly reduce the routes to have enhanced overnight service to only a few (the 99 routes plus several others). 

So, the X68 trips at 4:02 AM and 5:02 AM will now be completely discontinued. I also wonder what they mean by "reduced overnight frequency". I wish they would be clearer with that point, because that's pretty vague. I wish they would display the public timetables like they initially did instead of having people resort to using Trip Planner.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

That's the first time I believe that they've brought up the financial situation. Up to this point, it's mainly been due to low utilization. Seems like this is the beginning, and they're going to slowly reduce the routes to have enhanced overnight service to only a few (the 99 routes plus several others). 

So, the X68 trips at 4:02 AM and 5:02 AM will now be completely discontinued. I also wonder what they mean by "reduced overnight frequency". I wish they would be clearer with that point, because that's pretty vague. I wish they would display the public timetables like they initially did instead of having people resort to using Trip Planner.

Quite frankly, it was a struggle for them to provide this overnight express bus service from the beginning. The drivers that did, did so if they were available. That is not the way to run a service. It meant lots of missing trips that couldn't be filled. That was the reason they discontinued some lines aside from low ridership. As regular resumed, it became even more difficult to run the express bus service.

But wouldn't it be better to restore the 24/7 subway service ALSO for the riders (the overnight service has never stopped, but not for the riders...)?

1 hour ago, I love NY said:

But wouldn't it be better to restore the 24/7 subway service ALSO for the riders (the overnight service has never stopped, but not for the riders...)?

Is that sentiment all you ever iterate on this forum.... We get it already, god damn.

3 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The way I always saw it, is that this essential overnight service (increased frequency [for the routes that always had overnight service] & the introduction of overnight service, period [for the routes that didn't have it prior]) that's currently being provided, was meant to be temporary.... It's sounding like you thought this essential service would be permanent.... Regardless, these service cuts they're conveniently categorizing as "reallocations" was only a matter of time - Which is why I admittedly stated a while back that those on this forum that were clamoring (or otherwise advocating) for an overnight bus network are going to get it.

To that last point, I'm not getting what you're finding vague about (their use in verbiage of) reduced overnight frequency.... Rather self-explanatory to me; less overnight service than what's currently being supplied...

5 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Is that sentiment all you ever iterate on this forum.... We get it already, god damn.

The way I always saw it, is that this essential overnight service (increased frequency [for the routes that always had overnight service] & the introduction of overnight service, period [for the routes that didn't have it prior]) that's currently being provided, was meant to be temporary.... It's sounding like you thought this essential service would be permanent.... Regardless, these service cuts they're conveniently categorizing as "reallocations" was only a matter of time - Which is why I admittedly stated a while back that those on this forum that were clamoring (or otherwise advocating) for an overnight bus network are going to get it.

To that last point, I'm not getting what you're finding vague about (their use in verbiage of) reduced overnight frequency.... Rather self-explanatory to me; less overnight service than what's currently being supplied...

I actually was on a call with someone high up earlier today. We were talking about a number of cuts that the (MTA) has been trying to implement over the last year or so. They will cut wherever they can if there's no push back. 

Just now, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I actually was on a call with someone high up earlier today. We were talking about a number of cuts that the (MTA) has been trying to implement over the last year or so. They will cut wherever they can if there's no push back. 

Absolutely they will.

It's been about trimming a budget well before the crisis hit... The crisis only expedited (or should I say, amplified) the direness of it all.

4 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Absolutely they will.

It's been about trimming a budget well before the crisis hit... The crisis only expedited (or should I say, amplified) the direness of it all.

There's a lot going on behind the scenes. Talked with that person for over an hour. Thank God the drivers are pushing back.

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

There's a lot going on behind the scenes. Talked with that person for over an hour. Thank God the drivers are pushing back.

They can't afford to be passive about this; their livelihoods are at stake.... When you hear about other bus companies suspending all operations, it really puts things into perspective.

Just now, B35 via Church said:

They can't afford to be passive about this; their livelihoods are at stake.... When you hear about other bus companies suspending all operations, it really puts things into perspective.

Yes. I was shocked about some B/Os literally being on the verge of a mental breakdown not too long ago because of all of this. 

46 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

No, I always thought these were temporary, but since they're gutting more trips than before in one instance, they're going to need some other justification.

The reduced overnight frequency is vague. Yeah, less service will be provided, I get that. But what it doesn't say to what extent they will be reduced (essentially what will be the new overnight headways). They might be able to get away more with some of these routes never operated during overnight hours before. For those routes, the would the headway go to every 30, 40, 45, 60 minutes, or some other headway? The impact of going from every 20 minutes to every 30 minutes is different than from every 20 minutes to every 60 minutes. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

26 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

No, I always thought these were temporary, but since they're gutting more trips than before in one instance, they're going to need some other justification.

The reduced overnight frequency is vague. Yeah, less service will be provided, I get that. But what it doesn't say to what extent they will be reduced (essentially what will be the new overnight headways). 

He said he got it in an e-mail, so I wasn't expecting a full schedule breakdown of what route would be doing what.... A general notice isn't going to post all of that.

...as far as the little edit to your post there is concerned, yeah well, I guess we'll find out the extent (or impact) of everything tomorrow, won't we....

Edited by B35 via Church

@B35 via Church @BM5 via Woodhaven It is now on the MTA website:

https://new.mta.info/coronavirus/overnight

Overnight service frequency will be adjusted to 60-minutes on these express routes: BxM4, BxM7, BM2, QM17
Service will start after 6 a.m. on the X68

Overnight service frequency will be adjusted to 30 minutes on the Q102 and B45
Overnight service frequency will return to pre-pandemic levels on these local routes: B24, B48, Q46, B1, B36
Weekend service frequency overnight will be adjusted to between 30-60 minutes on these local routes: Bx28, M2, M3, M4, M7, M20, M60-SBS, M102, M104, B45, B62, Q4, Q22, Q43

1 hour ago, Union Tpke said:

@B35 via Church @BM5 via Woodhaven It is now on the MTA website:

https://new.mta.info/coronavirus/overnight

Overnight service frequency will be adjusted to 60-minutes on these express routes: BxM4, BxM7, BM2, QM17
Service will start after 6 a.m. on the X68

Overnight service frequency will be adjusted to 30 minutes on the Q102 and B45
Overnight service frequency will return to pre-pandemic levels on these local routes: B24, B48, Q46, B1, B36
Weekend service frequency overnight will be adjusted to between 30-60 minutes on these local routes: Bx28, M2, M3, M4, M7, M20, M60-SBS, M102, M104, B45, B62, Q4, Q22, Q43

Here are the new weekday timetables on the express routes courtesy of Trip Planner. On the express trips, only the trips between 1:00 AM and 5:00 AM, including any 1:00 AM and 5:00 AM trips, are the daily overnight trips, with the exception of the 1:30 AM BxM7 trip to Co-Op City, which is a regularly scheduled trip.

BxM4: 

[Inbound] [Outbound]

BxM7:

[Inbound] [Outbound]

BM2: 

[Inbound] [Outbound]

QM17: 

[Inbound] [Outbound]

Below are the new local bus weekend overnight frequencies, which will take place on Saturday morning. The majority used to operate every 20 minutes, except the B62 at every 25 minutes:

• Bx28: Every 40 minutes
  • B45: Every 60 minutes (reverts to pre-pandemic levels)
  • B62: Every 50 minutes (reverts to pre-pandemic levels)
  • M2, M3, M4: Every 30 minutes
  • M7: Every 30 minutes
  • M20: Every 30 minutes
  • M60: Every 20-30 minutes (reverts to pre-pandemic levels)
  • M102: Every 60 minutes (reverts to pre-pandemic levels)
  • M104: Every 35 minutes
  • Q22: Every 60 minutes
  • Q43: Every 40 minutes (reverts to pre-pandemic levels)
1 hour ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

@Union Tpke So they're basically eliminating overnight B24 service?

They meant the Bx24.

On 8/11/2020 at 7:08 PM, Union Tpke said:

One of the first things I noticed is that two bus stops (7th Avenue S. & West 10th and Varick & Clarkson) are shared by all three "99" routes (B99, Bx99, M99), along with the M20.

8 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

One of the first things I noticed is that two bus stops (7th Avenue S. & West 10th and Varick & Clarkson) are shared by all three "99" routes (B99, Bx99, M99), along with the M20.

You also have 14th Street and 8th Avenue, where all three routes cross each other in both directions. They share the M14 stop going southbound, but they have two different stops northbound (the B99 shares the northbound M20 stop, and the Bx99 / M99 shares the northwest bound M14 stop).

• 1 month later...

???

SERVICE CHANGE  Posted: 10/12/2020  7:36PM

The Essential Connector Program for the Bx15 route is canceled tonight/tomorrow morning between the hours of 1 AM-5 AM while we work to provide as much service as possible with the bus operators we have available. 

See mta.info or the MYmta app for travel alternatives. 

???

The Essential Connector Program for the Bx15 route is canceled tonight/tomorrow morning between the hours of 1 AM-5 AM while we work to provide as much service as possible with the bus operators we have available. 

Yeah, they don't have enough drivers. What's confusing about it?

40 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah, they don't have enough drivers. What's confusing about it?

That's not the confusing part.

???

The essential connector program no longer exists, and it didn't have to do with the essential bus service plan.